• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Be prepared... pilgrim rescue

And of course it is not only the First Responders Team ("Bomberos") from Burguete who come to the rescue. The Border and Customs Police stationed in Valcarlos were also active during this previous week in April:

In addition, agents from the Unidad de Extranjería y Documentación Valcarlos assisted throughout the week several pilgrims with difficulties on the first stretch of the Camino de Santiago.

A 70-year-old Dutch pilgrim was picked up, disoriented, at the height of the area of the Casa del Guardiano [Valcarlos route]. Also, seven Portuguese pilgrims on an organised trip had to be assisted with obvious symptoms of being cold and fatigued when they could not face the last stretch before reaching the shelter [not sure which one is meant] because they did not carry the equipment that is necessary on mountains.
DIARIO DE NAVARRA, Actualizado el 25/04/2022 a las 12:52

Again, it's not dangerous to walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles. These cases represent a tiny minority; if they had informed themselves appropriately beforehand and had equipped themselves properly, these pilgrim walkers would have been unlikely to need assistance on their first day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oi. A regional newspaper reports a few details about the rescue incident on Sunday 24 April (translated by Deep.com): It was a pilgrim who was in the Izandorre shelter with symptoms of mild hypothermia. A 23-year-old citizen of California (USA), she was wearing chancletas [hispanic word for a cheap sandal or flip-flops] despite the fog and snow in the area.

Of course, we here in the forum often tell those from far away and new to all this that the whole Camino Frances can be walked in sandals.

Last edited:
Oi. A regional newspaper reports a few details about the rescue incident on Sunday 24 April (translated by Deep.com): It was a pilgrim who was in the Izandorre shelter with symptoms of mild hypothermia. A 23-year-old citizen of California (USA), she was wearing chancletas [hispanic word for a cheap sandal or flip-flops] despite the fog and snow in the area.

Of course, we here in the forum often tell those from far away and new to all this that the whole Camino Frances can be walked in sandals.
:::rolling eyes:::
Unbelievable!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Some people rely too much on being warned of bad weather by the volunteers of the pilgrim's office or by 'the locals' or by the owner of Orisson or by Camino angels, instead of actively informing themselves, which is not so hard to do.
Not hard at all.
But it takes initiatve and common sense.
Reposting your links from above. These should be a sticky somewhere.
1. METEOBLUE
2. MOUNTAIN FORECAST

Was it worth walking the higher Route Napoleon instead of the lower Valcarlos route on such days with heavy rain/some snow, strong wind gusts, temperatures near freezing point and with zero mountain views ?
It seems so obvious. But perhaps many people erroneously believe the Napoleon Route is the camino.

Unbelievable
Unfortunately all too believable.

Come to think of it, @svanada, you are in a great position with your night at Borda. I think (not sure) that thunderstorms in this area develop mainly in the afternoon. You might already be in Roncesvalles IF (super big IF) there are any during the day of your walk from Borda. Buen Camino again.
Thanks for that. Feels somewhat better now. And as a backup I have bought a busticket 1/5 from SJPDP to Roncesvalles 🤔

I come originally from Scotland. We say that there is no such thing as bad weather, only clothing unsuitable for the weather at that time.
The great trick is to stay dry. Wet can get in from the outside, but also from the inside, because if you are too warm you will sweat. Whatever it says on the label, no clothing will breathe enough to completely wick away all moisture.
Davebugg has much good advice from experience in serious walking. Search for his posts and learn, it will be less painful than trial and error.
BTW, there may be bad weather at any altitude, on any route. I remember Hôpital de Orbigo in late may as having heavy wet snow, which fell all day, and clung to everything it touched. Not very deep, as it melted more or less as it fell, but with a nasty cutting wind. That was a good day to stop asap.
My take on weather like that is to do a short day, then make sure everything is dry as possible for the next day. Maybe take a rest day, even if it's not an interesting place. Because sometimes you won't have the right clothing. 😭

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

We sandalistas probably need to be more careful with that advice. I tend to assume that people will keep weather conditions and terrain in mind for decisions regarding footwear and clothing, but of course that is not always the case. Misjudgement does happen.

I have hiked in sandals in snow before, and also walked part of the route Napoléon barefoot (in good weather). But there was always a backup plan involved in my backpack.

Thanks for the reminder to be more careful when discussing the topic.

Thanks for all the information, everyone. We have moved our departure into more of the shoulder season so this is a great reminder for us to be well prepared-- even if we have to let go of gear later.

Am I correct in understanding that on the Valcarlos route you are much more out of the wind than on Napoleon? That would seem to me to be half the battle.

Also, if due to weather we have to do the Valcarlos route-- is SJPP to Ronc a one day hike or is that too much and it's best split into two days?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for all the information, everyone. We have moved our departure into more of the shoulder season so this is a great reminder for us to be well prepared-- even if we have to let go of gear later.

Am I correct in understanding that on the Valcarlos route you are much more out of the wind than on Napoleon? That would seem to me to be half the battle.

Also, if due to weather we have to do the Valcarlos route-- is SJPP to Ronc a one day hike or is that too much and it's best split into two days?
The Valcarlos route is at a much lower altitude. It can be done in one day but some people split it into two and stop in Valcarlos

The Valcarlos route is at a much lower altitude. It can be done in one day but some people split it into two and stop in Valcarlos
I have walked the Valcarlos route twice for it's somewhat gentler first day "out the gate", and its variety of scenery imo. I always spend the night in Valcarlos, walking it in two days as I am never in a rush. It also allows me to arrive in Roncesvalles in plenty of time to secure a bed; especially important in the past before the muni took reservations.
It is also a much quieter, less traveled route.

Here is a comparison of the two routes, by elevation. As can be seen, the Valcarlos route is lower, but the sting in the tail is the short very steep section just before the end; it seems to me even steeper that the first section between SJPDP and Orisson.

Thanks to @Rick of Rick and Peg for posting this chart, it is very helpful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great. Thank you all. I knew the Valcarlos route existed but barely paid it any attention before now. But due to our date change we need to be prepared for inclement weather and we might even end up going during the closed season for Napoleon.

Here is a comparison of the two routes, by elevation. As can be seen, the Valcarlos route is lower, but the sting in the tail is the short very steep section just before the end; it seems to me even steeper that the first section between SJPDP and Orisson.

Thanks to @Rick of Rick and Peg for posting this chart, it is very helpful.
Depending on where you take the measures, the steep section of the Route Napoleon is about, on average, a 10% slope. The steep section of Route Valcarlos appears to be about a 15% slope. Yes, it is much steeper, albeit slightly shorter.

Tte Valcarlos route peaks at just above 1000m. The napoleon route peaks above 1400m. SJPP is slighty below 300m. So elevation gain is very similar as the Valcarlos route has some downward sections before peaking. It is less exposed for much of the route. But it is subject to wind at the peak at the Ibenita pass. This is where the sandal-wearing walker was rescued in snow in April……

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, it is much steeper, albeit slightly shorter.
One consideration that is rely mentioned is that it's mostly in the shade, which can really make a difference on a warm or hot day. It is pretty steep, but really lovely, as @Camino Chrissy said. Short steps, many times gets you there. Stopping to breathe, and appreciate the surroundings.
View media item 2547

... be well prepared-- even if we have to let go of gear later.

A pilgrim told me this year that after prudently preparing for the Valcarlos route with appropriate equipment, between Pamplona and Burgos he had abandoned more than a thousand dollars worth of new but no longer needed emergency gear.

Carrying excess weight should be avoided but remember that one can simply mail excess gear back home. I did that from Burgos on my first pilgrimage. The post office in Burgos sold the appropriate boxes, tape, etc., permitted me to weigh my accumulation of excess equipment, and based on that weight, quoted me a price for the international postage. It was cost-effective.

I’m considering doing the same in Pamplona. Not sure I really need long pants, or a both sleeping bag and liner.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back