• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Be wary

Stephanie Georgiou

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017 September)
Pilgrim claims to have walked from Hungary with her dog. Attaches herself to other pilgrims who will pay her way.
---

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just wondering what makes you believe she is a con artist?
Please note I am not doubting you. I've met a few people on the CF who I think could well be con artists, mostly going in the opposite direction.:)

she collected about 30 euro from fellow pilgrims to help pay for food and stay at an albergue in Mansilla. Then she lied to the albergue saying that the pilgrims had already paid it and she needn't pay for her stay. Turns out the albergue could check her story out and she was caught out. Just lies really... maybe not con artist worthy, but deceptive none the less.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just wondering what makes you believe she is a con artist?
Please note I am not doubting you. I've met a few people on the CF who I think could well be con artists, mostly going in the opposite direction.:)

The OP has offered a useful fair warning to pilgrims that there ARE people on the Camino who are posing as pilgrims and trying to take money from other pilgrims. We've all met them I assume. In some parts of Europe this type of con seems to have been raised to an art form. They have a complicated tale of misfortune that plays on your feelings of charity, leading you to give them money in a good cause. Some of them are very good at it, the quality of their performance being worthy of the 10 euros they are trying to get from you. Others are a little more transparent. My favorite was the con artist who had the misfortune of telling his tale of woe to a Swedish pilgrim, in english. As he told me the story, "That guy was not Swedish!" Well, how do you know.....I asked him? "He doesn't speak Swedish!". Perhaps he decided he'd try his hand at being Hungarian instead.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think I am not too good in differentiating the cons from the real cases.
So probably I should do something like that:
* Give never money on such stories... even if I think, it is true. But give in the next donativo-albergue additionally the money that I would have spent if I would know that the story is true.
* Say to the person, who tells the story, that I do not have extra money to spend. But we could cook together and I could buy the ingredients... someone, who has really no money should be glad about this... and if it is a type of con the person should decline the offer.

Whilst not an overly experienced pilgrim (only 2 caminos), but after more than 60 years on this earth and some extensive travels I think I can spot the frauds a long way off. I like the suggestion about offering to share a meal, or even pay for a their bed at an albergue. But from experience such offers are often rejected out of hand - all these "pilgrims" want is money. Approaching Saria I had three women try to solicit money for a child in need of medical treatment (the child lived in Spain!!!). I ignored them and received some less than complementary comments!

@domigee - no I have not even been to Hungary - but can you please explain why having visited a country makes one see things differently! My understanding of the OP was that the pilgrim claimed to have walked from Hungary and was (as I understood it) not painting all pilgrims from that country with the same brush. Hopefully by June next year I will have had my Hungarian experience and will be able to comment on seeing this interesting country. Cheers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
There are people who "live" on all trails. Have for millennia. It's a way of life for some. I met some on the AT as a kid when we would do multi day backpacks there. We called them 'trail bums'. Not very politically correct, granted. On our CP we met a guy who would launch into a story with everyone he met, even hospiteleros, how he had no money and even poor locals were giving him 20 euros here and there so he could eat and how he was sleeping in barns etc. We just listened with interest and nodded. He never came right out and asked for money. If so, we probably would have said, we only have a set amount of money for our own camino. We did give him our tapas after we finished a big pilgrims meal and were not hungry for more food. I don't think he was a 'bum' but he definitely was financing his camino from others.

Scammers and con artists everywhere love "being from Hungary" because Hungary is a different country far away, thus they may not be able to access their own money or get help from their friends and relatives. And Hungarian language is difficult and very different from most other European languages, so there is a little chance that somebody starts talking to them in Hungarian and rips the mask. Except certainly the real Hungarians themselves but these are not that many, much less than English or German speaking people.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I simply can't refrain myself from posting this:
Sorry if it's a bit off topic :D

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back