• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beach Swimming on the Norte - Months?

Mark T17

Time of past OR future Camino
Kumano Kodo 2012
Frances Sept 2017 (bike)
Hi all, I'm thinking about starting the Norte in Irun and turning onto the Primitivo in May/June. I like the idea of swimming on the beaches at the end of a day and then venturing into the mountains to Santiago. But am I going to be able to swim in May/June? I'd like to avoid the crowds in August/September but not freeze in the ocean in May.

If I cant swim in May/June, then I think I'm probably better off just doing the Salvador out of Leon and connecting up with the Primitivo that way.

I swim regularly at beaches in Sydney, Australia in summer months but not in Spring/Autumn which are too cold for me.

Any thoughts?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Mark! The ocean on the north coast of Spain will be a lot cooler than you're used to... The average ocean temp in May is about 15°C, going up to 17-18°C in June. The north coast is a surfing mecca, but for swimmers there are quite few dangerous rip tides/currents that you need to watch out for. Contrary to the image lots of people have, the Norte isn't about 'walking on the beach' the whole time - in fact, the camino doesn't always hug the coast (it goes inland for a few stages/stretches), and if you are next to the sea it's often along a cliff. Many of the Norte's stopping points are in towns or cities, where it would take a bit of planning to get to the local beach after you've checked into the albergue - the beach in Santander, for example, is 3km away. That's not to put you off! I've had some lovely swimming experiences on the Norte... but they tended to be of a more spontaneous nature: walking along and unexpectedly spotting an amazing secluded beach, just calling for a quick dip! There are some places along the way that are renowned for their beaches: you could probably have a good swim in San Sebastian, for example; the Cantabrian coast has a few spots (Laredo beach is 5km long!), and then there are famous beaches like La Vega in Asturias. In a nutshell, you'll get a few opportunities, but it's unlikely you'll get a "daily swim".

Last edited:
Hi Mark! The ocean on the north coast of Spain will be a lot cooler than you're used to... The average ocean temp in May is about 15°C, going up to 17-18°C in June. The north coast is a surfing mecca, but for swimmers there are quite few dangerous rip tides/currents that you need to watch out for. Contrary to the image lots of people have, the Norte isn't about 'walking on the beach' the whole time - in fact, the camino doesn't always hug the coast (it goes inland for a few stages/stretches), and if you are next to the sea it's often along a cliff. Many of the Norte's stopping points are in towns or cities, where it would take a bit of planning to get to the local beach after you've checked into the albergue - the beach in Santander, for example, is 3km away. That's not to put you off! I've had some lovely swimming experiences on the Norte... but they tended to be of a more spontaneous nature: walking along and unexpectedly spotting an amazing secluded beach, just calling for a quick dip! There are some places along the way that are renowned for their beaches: you could probably have a good swim in San Sebastian, for example; the Cantabrian coast has a few spots (Laredo beach is 5km long!), and then there are famous beaches like La Vega in Asturias. In a nutshell, you'll get a few opportunities, but it's unlikely you'll get a "daily swim".
Thanks Jan, great advice !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would suggest that you be very very very cautious indeed. The currents along the del Norte are pretty vicious-- a Guardia Civil whom I met on a beach when she was prepping for some surfing told me that she was in the Search and Rescue division or, she said, should be better called the Search and Recover Division. I have had a few swims on the del Norte at Islares west of Castro Urdiales, Playa Galizano (out of Guemes), in front of the village in La Isla, at Aguilar near Muros de Nalon, Meixota west of Tapia de Casariego, and de Arnao just before the bridge into Ribadeo, but at other places I would not have thought for a moment of doing more than a wade to my waist.

As a length swimmer at home, I was a bit frustrated by not being able to take a daily swim, but this is a coast where safety is a concern. Always check with the locals. As well, in May, the beaches are less likely to be lifeguarded. And always check with the locals.

The del Norte is a spectacular route-- pilgrims are not the only focus of the area as they are on the Francese, but with albergues, churches, and seafood, you should do all right.

I would suggest that you be very very very cautious indeed. The currents along the del Norte are pretty vicious-- a Guardia Civil whom I met on a beach when she was prepping for some surfing told me that she was in the Search and Rescue division or, she said, should be better called the Search and Recover Division. I have had a few swims on the del Norte at Islares west of Castro Urdiales, Playa Galizano (out of Guemes), in front of the village in La Isla, at Aguilar near Muros de Nalon, Meixota west of Tapia de Casariego, and de Arnao just before the bridge into Ribadeo, but at other places I would not have thought for a moment of doing more than a wade to my waist.

As a length swimmer at home, I was a bit frustrated by not being able to take a daily swim, but this is a coast where safety is a concern. Always check with the locals. As well, in May, the beaches are less likely to be lifeguarded. And always check with the locals.

The del Norte is a spectacular route-- pilgrims are not the only focus of the area as they are on the Francese, but with albergues, churches, and seafood, you should do all right.
Thanks, more great advice! I used to be a life guard in Australia, so I know my limits. I've seen a lot of beaches around the world, so I wanted the Norte to be more than just a walk and I was hoping to take a swim when an opportunity presented itself.

Thanks, more great advice! I used to be a life guard in Australia, so I know my limits. I've seen a lot of beaches around the world, so I wanted the Norte to be more than just a walk and I was hoping to take a swim when an opportunity presented itself.
I'm also hoping to have a swim here and there along the Norte in April/May. San Sebastian in particular, so I guess i'll wait & see how cold the water is when I get there. If you have been a lifeguard on Sydney beaches, then i think you'll be fine. Some treacherous conditions along Sydney's Northern beaches!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kia Ora Mark,
I was also planning to do the Norte in Mar next year and purchased a couple of guide books- so really glad you started this thread. I did the Primitivo last year and loved it. The landscape was quite a contrast from the Via de la Plata (my first, the year before) both of which I thoroughly enjoyed.
I now need to change my plans and travel in Sep (for a wedding) and believe that the albergues on the Norte will be very busy with surfers.
All the best with you decision - I hear the San Salvador is an awesome walk.
Buen Camino

Thanks both, I think I'm going to settle on May/June Norte-Primitivo combo, a September camino doesn't fit into my work and personal commitments, so I'll see what happens. The Pilgrims Office is releasing statistics again, so I'm going to crunch some numbers to avoid the crowds.

Thanks both, I think I'm going to settle on May/June Norte-Primitivo combo, a September camino doesn't fit into my work and personal commitments, so I'll see what happens. The Pilgrims Office is releasing statistics again, so I'm going to crunch some numbers to avoid the crowds.

My advice is not to worry too much about numbers; I've done the Norte & Primitivo several times and th ey are not overwhelmed, although the facilities on the Primitivo can be challenged by the numbers. The only crowd situation you will encounter will be from Sarria to Santiago. There is a detour from north of Sarria which can help you with that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I walked the Norte, I avoided going in the sea, but I found the seafood all along the coast, till it left the sea in Galicia, was absolutely delicious. I have never enjoyed so many types of fish,a few of which I only saw on the menu once and have never seen them again anywhere.
However, I believe there are too many crabs in the sea. I'll never forget the last time, all those years ago, when I caught crabs. Quite nasty little things that go 'pop'.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.