• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bear on Camino Portugues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkexanderTramp

Time of past OR future Camino
3 days until Santiago
Hey,
today I walked from Poio to Vilaxoan. I tried to use Komoot for orientation, but it sometimes leads me to paths that are not active anymore.
So today I walked on gravel in the mountains, but mostly in the woods. And then I saw poop infront of me. I checked it , and I was quite sure it wasn't from a horse. The size of the poop wasn't from a dog either. It was bigger, so I looked it up and it had many similarities to bear poop.
I was quite nervous, because I was alone and wanted to do the variant spiritual. I took a stick and carved it sharply. I was sure, that there is a bear outside.
From Maoña to Vilaboa I also went threw forest and mountains. But I didn't had the feeling or signs , that there is a bear outside. But today the feeling was intense. For everybody doing the spiritual variant. Keep care and be aware.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It sounds like you may not have been following the official Camino route - did you see the yellow arrows and shells marking the Camino?
No, the first and a half hour I walked in the mountains, there weren't any markers. But later on. I think I found the path again. I just made a profile to share my experience

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The bear sighted in Portugal probably comes from the western population of the Cantabrian Mountains (Spain). There, the brown bear population has increased to around 280 individuals at present according to the Spanish Fundación Oso Pardo.

No, the first and a half hour I walked in the woods, there weren't any markers. But later on. When I went to the mountains, there were markers.
You can download a Camino app that has the tracks for the Camino.

I took a stick and carved it sharply. I was sure, that there is a bear outside.
So in the extremely unlikely event that you do meet a bear on the Camino you plan to poke it with a sharp stick? Do you expect to be able to kill one outright? Because I'm not convinced that a slightly injured bear is going to be any less of a problem for you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So in the extremely unlikely event that you do meet a bear on the Camino you plan to poke it with a sharp stick? Do you expect to be able to kill one outright? Because I'm not convinced that a slightly injured bear is going to be any less of a problem for you.
Seems naive. But firstly I would make myself as big as I can and I would scream like an neanderthalensis. And if the bear would come closer, of course I would take my stick and try to force distance.. guaranteed is nothing.

If you suspect bears make noise - talk or sing to yourself. Bears generally don't want to interact with humans, and if they can hear you coming will avoid you. But getting yourself on the actual Camino trail is your best bet, because there should be other pilgrims around.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A Dutch expression is “ you only see bears on the road . Do not look to the bear but look to the road ! Meaning “ you only see the problem but not the solution. 🐻

I think if you suspect a bear, the best thing is to report it to the Portuguese authorities. There are very few bears left in that part of the world and authorities will want to protect them. Contact with people is the kiss of death for bears in the US.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Finally! My favorite topic gets top billing. Mind the bears everyone!

The noisemaking advice given above is the best advice for the average pilgrim that might encounter one. Sing the "Bears Suck" song as loud as you can (simply shout those words loudly and aggressively and without temer over and over) and use that otherwise useless whistle that is the clip of your sternum strap.

Sound advice given, it should be repeated that a bear on the Variante would be a very lost bear indeed.

Colbert was right!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think if you suspect a bear, the best thing is to report it to the Portuguese authorities. There are very few bears left in that part of the world and authorities will want to protect them. Contact with people is the kiss of death for bears in the US.
The OP was writing about he remarked the vesr during his hike on the Variante Espiritual trail which is in Spanish Galicia

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In general, we are not used to seeing bears or traces of bears when hiking - or jogging for that matter (very recent fatal incident in Italy!!!) - in Europe nor is there a general knowledge of how to behave when encountering a bear. The introduction of bear populations in areas where they have not been part of the natural environment for hundreds of years is controversial.

Here is an article from 2019:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.