• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bearable heat in July & August?

celine

It's surely been asked before- I'm thinking of walking 7 days of El Camino in either July & August, but as I'm planning, I am wondering if the heat won't make the walk too unbearable (not pleasurable)?
And so, is the walk worth during these months?

I'd like to find out what is people's experience & thinking is:

For those who have done it:
1. What time did you start everyday & how did you break the journey-up when the heat was too much?
2. Is it pretty steadily hot these 2 months over the years you reckon (I have gone onto websites showing the temperatures by months & cities)?
3. Would you still go ahead with the plan of going then (it is the only time I could go this year)?
4. What gear did you take with you?

Thanks,
Céline.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've walked a couple of caminos and wasn't really troubled by the weather. Weather is not predictable-in 2007 from le puy in late june to late august there were some very cold wet days.Around leon in early august it reached a high of just 21. Last year from granada in mid may to late june much of spain had torrential rain and several albergues had open fires to try and combat the freezing weather. The weather is a gamble. I NEVER left before light-it's dangerous and pointless, enjoy the scenery. There are many posts about gear-they all boil down to 'travel light'.
I'll be on the vezelay route mid june to mid august this year-I hope the weather will be better than the last 2 years

Hello Céline,

I have walked the Camino Francés twice in July and August. It is the only time I can go as well.

It is warm, but certainly bearable. I am an early riser all throughout the year (usually 5ish am) So it was no bother for me to rise early. I was usually ready to get out just before light. A small torch is essential, and also it is a good idea to walk with another or a few people. Once it gets light, each goes his own pace or perhaps we would stay together to the first available café con leche... :wink:
It could be cool or downright cold ( I often wore my fleece in Aug) especially on the meseta in the morning and would warm up around 9 - 10 am. I typically walked til 14:00 - 15:00 h (sometimes later) and then took siesta, wrote, read, wandered around the town or chatted with other pilgrims. the heat during the middle of the day can become oppressive - especially if you are on a portion of the Camino that has no shade. Make sure you have a hat, sunscreen and sunglasses.

I like the summer. I think it is a fine time for the Camino, and plan to be out there again this year as well.

Buen Camino,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Céline, Go for it.
Make sure you have a hat, sunscreen and sunglasses
Wise words indeed from Deirdre.

I've done short parts at beginning of July, and head off again this year for 2 weeks.
I'm sure July is quite a busy time on the camino with pilgrims hoping to arrive in Santiago on July 25th.

Buen Camino.

Hello Mr. Mac!

Well, I too have that Celtic skin that was (genetically) never meant to see as much intense sun as there is on the Camino in the summer!

imho, sunblock/sunscreen is the greatest invention of the 20th century! :D I think I was nearly 30 before I could atually go out in the sun and enjoy it! :wink:

Buen Camino,

Sunblock is very important. I could never understand the Europeans on the Camino leaving 'before the heat' yet would lie in the sun at the end of the day-haven't they heard of skin cancer?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
celine said:
I'm thinking of walking 7 days of El Camino in either July & August, but as I'm planning, I am wondering if the heat won't make the walk too unbearable (not pleasurable)?
And so, is the walk worth during these months? I'd like to find out what is people's experience & thinking is:

For those who have done it:
1. What time did you start everyday & how did you break the journey-up when the heat was too much?
2. Is it pretty steadily hot these 2 months over the years you reckon (I have gone onto websites showing the temperatures by months & cities)?
3. Would you still go ahead with the plan of going then (it is the only time I could go this year)?
4. What gear did you take with you?

Thanks,
Céline.

1. We got up at dawn and went as far as possible before stopping for a cafe con leche and toast for breakfast in the cool of the morning. Try and finish your walking before lunch. We found the hottest part of the day was from about 1-5pm. On one occasion we had a siesta at a refugio and continued on to the next town in the evening.

2. Yes it is roughly the same temperature though obviously things change week on week.

3. Yes.

4. As little as possible.

The above information applies to the Camino Frances, we also did the Via de la Plata in July-August and for that I would answer NO to question 3 for the Andalucia and Extremadura sections.

Buen Camino
William

Ah Deirdrè, Good to hear from you. All well here with "pomodoro" as a young Italian child laughed & remarked upon seeing me way back in 1984.

Somewhere in Ivar's forum I mentioned about the importance of wearing a good sunblock / hat with hi-factor.
I think some of my long days walking have been achieved by my wearing of a good hat; believe it or not I still don't apply suncream/sunblock daily.
But a good hat will handsomely assist you along the camino.

Buen camino

Brian

Hi there,

I just wanted to thank all of you who responded, its been really helpful to get insights from "Caminantes" (I think that's how pilgrims are called..).

I may meet some of you on the camino then, it's decided me to go! I look forward to that!

x, Céline
And a special hi to those with Irish roots, I enjoyed the three years I lived in Dublin and hikked through the country!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sun cream on the backs of the legs. The sun will be behind you when walking!

Celine stopped getting sun on her legs in the Forum in June 2009! However, your advice is good and others can benefit.;)

Back of the neck if you have short/no hair.

Weather is a gamble but the problem is it can go both ways. It can be unusually cold but it can be hotter then usual. July and August are more likely to be hot then cold.

One question is what are you used to? It's not like Spain is the only place on the planet that gets hot.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.