• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

beard or razor?

andy.d

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Levante 2009
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2011
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2014
Pilgrims Way Winchester - Canterbury
Camino Ingles (Ferrol) 2015
Cistercian Way (Wales) 2016
I'm thinking of growing a Camino beard which should save on the hassle of shaving and the need to bring a razor. However, it's just struck me that the beard will weigh something by the eighth week. Advice please,

Andy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just be aware...that if you walk a bit faster than the likes of me....then go onto Finisterre before returning to Santiago about when I arrive....... be careful when you give me that 'long lost Camino-mate bear-hug' - because I might not recognize you with the extra growth since I last saw you way back Burgos way.....

Most of the albergues do not have hot water for the basins, only for the showers, Shaving with cold water is not much fun, if you don't shave in the shower.
I grew a beard last year and am presently growing one now, so that it will be over the itchy stage before I get to Spain. Two weeks and two days before I leave, but who's counting?

Alan Pearce

Be brave. Life is joyous.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I grew a beard the first time and yes, the beardy-weathered-suntan look worked well for a while. That is until I got home, shaved it off, and was left with a two-toned, top half tanned, bottom half pale face.

Beardy beware!

A personal choice this one! I took a couple of disposable razors, hardly weigh anything. Soap up at end of shower, shave over basin, rinse with cold water. I only manage an 'Aker Bilk' beard anyway and just feel extra scruffy after a few days.
I also had a VERY short haircut before leaving the U.K. No problems with head lice but it did mean that I wore a hat nearly all the time.

Buen Camino
Tio Tel

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
andy.d said:
I'm thinking of growing a Camino beard which should save on the hassle of shaving and the need to bring a razor.

Yes, it does! You'll get shaggy towards the end of the Way, but a beard will protect your skin from the sun and you'll have to worry less about acne breakouts. Plus, you'll like like a hardcore peregrino! :wink:

I hit a great barber shop a couple days outside of Santiago and got the full treatment (hair cut, beard trim, and straight razor sculpt on my neck) for about nine Euros. Just wish I'd remembered to tell him to shave with the grain, but other than that it was a great experience... :mrgreen:

VT

Only problem with a beard is if you have delicate skin, you tend to get beard dandruff :oops:

I decided I didn't want the hassle so I stopped shaving on Ash Wednesday, by the time I arrived in SJPDP April 10th I had a distinguished beard..or so I was told.

Arriving in Santiago, five weeks later, I decided to have a full clean up. I asked about a "men's" barber shop, but the one recommended (near the large park across from my favorite bar) was closed.

Wandering around I found a Ladies Salon. The only man visible was the young owner. I hobbled in and indicated I wanted both the beard and the hair cut. Initially, he wasn't sure he wanted me for a client, but none of the female patrons and technicians seemed adverse to my presence.

Sitting on a very nice leather chair I could observe the entire operation.

There were 12 stations for cutting/shaping hair, another 6 for shampooing, 5 for pedi/manicures. All were occupied and there were five ladies waiting with me in the cue.

I am sure that every beautiful woman in Santiago was in the shop that day. I was in heaven.

When my turn was called, I was taken by a very attractive lady...below this level into another fully equipped salon. Gone was all the hustle and bustle. Gone the chatting, the oohs and ahhs! It was only me and the barber.

My hair was shampooed, cut, trimmed and shaped. Ditto my beard. Every errant hair was plucked. Again, I was shampooed and cream applied to my weathered face and ears. Thinking she was finished, I began to stand up. Firm hands held my shoulders and pressed me back into the chair.

As the chair was reclined two additional women appeared and began a pedicure and a manicure. The first technician began a massage of my head and shoulders.

I fell asleep, waking about an hour later.

Grow the beard!

Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well, I grew mine, came home with it, made it a bit less shaggy, and kept it.
Meenakshi hates it!

Buen Camino,

Andy

Around here, we´ve actually classified The Bearded Ones:

You got your Hippy Beard (often accompanied by dreadlocks and B.O.)
Your Hemingway Wannabee (also known as "bearded git")
and the hardcore scraggly runaway facial hair (also known as the "ghastly old prophet").

All these are preferable to the clean-shaven schmuck who leaves the sink coated with whiskers and trimmings...

Arn wrote As the chair was reclined two additional women appeared and began a pedicure and a manicure.

Thanks a lot Arn, now Palma wants me to get a pedicure :shock:

Rebekah Scott said:
Around here, we´ve actually classified The Bearded Ones:

Some Spanish folks towards the end of my Camino at the San Xulian albergue (one of my favorites due to the winery-type atmosphere, welcoming staff, great communal dinner, and a sweet German girl I shared good conversation and orujo with) compared me to a monk (due to my beard and demeanor)...wonder what classification that would fit? :wink:

VT

Rebekah Scott said:
and the hardcore scraggly runaway facial hair (also known as the "ghastly old prophet").
Haha. In my early days of walking from Le Puy, while the Aubrac Plateau still loomed ahead of me, I kept coming across this bearded guy who I thought looked like a 'ghastly old prophet'. I decided indeed that he must be a "Proper Pilgrim", as opposed to myself, a very unsure 'wannabe'. I was quite surprised then to find him using a mobile phone, as that seemed far too modern for a Proper Pilgrim. I was even more surprised to realise that he had summoned vehicular assistance, and was giving up on the enterprise as being far too difficult in the cold wet conditions we were enduring. So I guess you can't judge every prophet/pilgrim by his beard!
Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a constant short beard/more like 10o'clock shaddow and have found this great remmington electric hair clipper that I have been using for years... its lite (no more than 150g) and the battery lasts forever between shaves (10-15 uses) did i mention its totally water resistant... sound like a sales man yet?

The link below is a image of the box, im sure you can pick one up at any shaver shop.
As for the charger, im just sending it ahead to Santiago with some other stuff.
http://dropshiponline.co.uk/images/HC610.A.jpg

Buen Camino
Diaz

I was dissapointed by the lack of beards on the camino! Grow your beards blokes :D

FrancesK said:
I was dissapointed by the lack of beards on the camino! Grow your beards blokes :D
Ha ha! A lack of beards?! On the Camino?!

Mine came off in Burgos. Too itchy. :D Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A vicar on English TV explained that when he walked the Saraha he stopped shaving because so few people saw him.

Then one day he saw a camel eating at an oasis and thought, "God, I bet I look like that camel What a mess" and started shaving again.

I do have a couple of Camino beards on some of my photos but this year I decided to take a razor as I didn't want to look like a camel.

All these are preferable to the clean-shaven schmuck who leaves the sink coated with whiskers and trimmings...

Reb. I thought I'd cleaned the sink properly. Obviously not. Sorry and all that.

Frances:-

I was dissapointed by the lack of beards on the camino! Grow your beards blokes

Sorry, not even for one as beautiful as you!

Clean faces rule OK.

I shave about once a week- carrying a razor is not an issue. Combs, on the other hand, are way too heavy to lug around.
Peace, love.

405134_394905537187657_1611670935_n.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Beard trimmers are fairly light and keep the tangle at bay. As well, beards benefit by the use of conditioner. However, those who don't want them should be aware that Spanish barbers are all trained to shave customers and many still do. One of my Spanish friends gets a barbershop shave every Saturday and tells me that this is fairly common. I do not know if everyone will get Arn's sybaritic treatment, but my shaving friends tell me that it is a treat.

A new beard should only itch for a few days. It's no different then anything else. Your head is covered with hair and you don't whine about the itch.

During the summer shaving with cold water is nice IMHO.

The real issue for you teenagers that have never had a beard. How will it grow? Not everybody grows a full beard. Some are patchy. Some are the opposite end of the scale and you risk looking like a bigfoot. If any of this matters try growing one and see how it comes in.

Won't it grow so slowly you will get used to it? But if you feel your feet sinking into the path because of the weight of the beard you can always buy a razor!

Buen Camino :D

Laugh out loud funny!! Hubby is giving me that must be the forum look...:D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
With a beardI suspect I'd look like that kid in Scooby Doo with a few whispy strands of facial hair. So, disposable razor, a tiny bottle of shaving oil for those of us who are less hirsute.....Anyway I've never got over the trauma of the punishment meted out in 1982 for turning up on parade unshaven....

On the Camino, I never shave. That said, many men do. I always walk in the Spring and feel a beard adds to the warmth factor. If I walked in the heat of Summer, I might feel differently.

To keep in the seasonal spirit, I say, let it grow, let it grow, let it grow.

Ultreya,
Joe

I had a beard from the age of seventeen to age thirty seven then shaved it off except the moustache. I toyed with growing it a few times while away in the camper and on the Camino but after about day four the itch nearly drove me crazy, so I showered and shaved every afternoon using my proper G3 razor and some Vaseline hand lotion as shaving cream, it lubricates so no shaving rash. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I went "commando" on my Camino and let the beard grow. I saved before I departed home for Paris, then not again for about two months. Although 59 at the time, I have never in my life tried to grow a beard. I have had a mustache at times though. The photo at the left was taken across the road from O'Cebriero about four weeks into my stroll across northern Spain.

The look is either that of a "bearded git" as Rebekah so correctly puts it, or Papa Smurf (Papa Strumpf to my Dutch and German speaking friends). Either way, it was not the look I was going for... I am not sure what I expected, but looking far older was not. it.:eek:

That said, having a beard does keep your face warmer and does provide some screening from the sun. The itchy bit only lasts a few days - in the second week.

Once in Santiago, a fellow pilgrim, now very nicely coiffed and shaved offered to tell me where he got shorn for only Euro 5. Unfortunately, I was acting on orders from my family NOT to shave until after they had the chance to personally check it out when I returned home to the States. So, even though I would have shaved it immediately on arrival in Santiago, I followed my instructions.

The next time, I think I will go with the get a shave locally every Saturday. BTW, does anyone know where to go for a good haircut and shave in Santiago, or in any of the other cities along the Camino Frances? Names or addresses would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
IMG_5532.JPG IMG_6258.JPG

I went with the number 2 blade haircut the day before I departed and a no razor, no shampoo policy for my backpack, pretty it ain't but what little hair I had left was dry a minute after stepping out of the shower. ;-)

Without question, grow the beard. The razor and foam weigh at least 4-5 ounces. My problem was that after growing the beard I told people I'd shave it off when I felt I was finally "back" from doing the Camino. It took me eight weeks for that to happen. Watch out!

Yes, it does! You'll get shaggy towards the end of the Way, but a beard will protect your skin from the sun and you'll have to worry less about acne breakouts. Plus, you'll like like a hardcore peregrino! :wink:

I hit a great barber shop a couple days outside of Santiago and got the full treatment (hair cut, beard trim, and straight razor sculpt on my neck) for about nine Euros. Just wish I'd remembered to tell him to shave with the grain, but other than that it was a great experience... :mrgreen:

VT

I am planning on growing my first full long beard during my Camino. I have had a short and well cropped beard for years and years now but keep it well trimmed once it gets a bit long. I've always wanted to grow it long but after a certain length it just looks unprofessional.
However my Camino is giving me the perfect excuse to just let it grow. By the end of my Camino I can see how it looks, trim it nicely at a professional barber and decide whether to keep it.

So once I finish my Camino how do I find a barber who does beards? How did you find the one you went to? Do they still have those traditional white and red barber poles outside their windows?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did the same thing, and it has stayed with me since 2009. I started out newly shaven, and looked like in the picture when taken in Finisterre. There must be dozens of barber shops in Santiago to fix you up.

Marcellino's portrait might inspire you to just 'let it grow'!

Come on now lets be fair about this beard or razor thread, he was only 21 years old when he left St Jean Pied de Port, walking the very scenic route.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think a long beard comes with the scallop, the wood stick, the exhausted and shaggy looks.
Only problem: if you are old enough, some nice young ladies may ask for a picture with you in León or Compostela. I guess we become a sort of "tourist attraction·", a photo opportunity, good for sharing with school friends and family, back home, amongst other exotic pics of castles, old streets and thematic bars. I decided the situation was rather fun, and posed with my best "Gandalf look" :)

Last edited:
I think I am in for a hard time.. I spent many years shaving in the military, with or without water. On a tank it was about the only part of me that was clean, so the thought of not shaving well that just is a tough idea for me. So I will ask those of you who go hairy to understand.
Keith

I think I am in for a hard time.. I spent many years shaving in the military, with or without water. On a tank it was about the only part of me that was clean, so the thought of not shaving well that just is a tough idea for me. So I will ask those of you who go hairy to understand.
Keith
There's nothing like having to bathe in your helmet when you're in the field. Hooah!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So once I finish my Camino how do I find a barber who does beards? How did you find the one you went to? Do they still have those traditional white and red barber poles outside their windows?

There are barbers who don't do beards? If they don't do beards it's likely not a barber but a ladies hair dresser.

Molinaseca - Four and a half weeks out!!!

Attachments

• Camino Two 369.JPG
    Camino Two 369.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

Molinaseca - Four and a half weeks out!!!

A little on the pathetic side after 2,400 km and 82 days on the camino arriving in Santiago,but I did my best.

Jakobsweg 18.06.-04.07.13 915 - Copy.jpg

Keith

I did the Camino last summer. I shaved on average every two days. I also carried small electric 110/220-volt hair clippers in my pack and shaved my head about every five days with it (grey and thinning, so I just shave it down). Not difficult to shave everyday in the albergues. Running water and sinks, etc. Once the initial rush of everyone getting there about the same time is over, there is plenty of space at the sinks to shave, etc.

I know a lot of guys discover their "inner hairy self" on the Camino, but I just feel cleaner and more hygienic when I stay shaved and groomed. I suppose that is from being prior military as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of growing a Camino beard which should save on the hassle of shaving and the need to bring a razor. However, it's just struck me that the beard will weigh something by the eighth week. Advice please,

Andy
Given the prevailing headwinds on the meseta you should shave your head or wear a bathing cap to reduce drag.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Normally I have a beard in winter and shave in summer, so it looks like I shall be shaving , although I have about half a can of shaving gel and a few disposable razors so once the are used I will grow a beard. I've also had hair cut on the weekend so short I don't currently recognise my reflection in the mirror , I'm hoping this cut will last 2 months or so as I fear going to the barbers in the UK let alone overseas. When travelling I have had a few nightmare situations with the language barrier before when trying to get me barnet done overseas leading to many embarrassing situations.

Tomorrow night I shall trim down my beard to 2-3 mm before entering the plane on Wednesday. When I get to Santiago, in due time, God willing, I shall indulge in a barber shop for a long time, for professional beard trim and haircut.

After that, a cold beer with a view to the Cathedral. Until then, I will rave along the Camino with more hair each day. I don't mind the extra weight, and it saves me time and hassle each and every morning...:D

Well, having sported a beard for the last 30 odd years, it would be a wrench to part with it now, and my wife probably wouldn't recognise me.... As with Alex, before I start walking I'll trim down to "designer stubble", and after a couple of weeks will be back to usual length. Just saves so much hassle with hot water, foam,razor etc. And the consequent age-related reduction of hair on the top of my head compensates for the extra weight of beard carried....

Andy
My son and I shaved head (bald) and face....and let it grow. (Sunblock and a hat for protection)

I shaved my head and face the day before I left. I did bring some battery powered clippers, but never used them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You will meet women with shaved heads! Met at least four. Also our Norte Americano friends were told in SJPDP that growing a beard on the hike is NOT done. Not sure why but they were advised that one starts with a beard but does not grow one while walking. Supposedly Bad luck to grow one while walking.

I haven't sported a beard since my college days, but it seems to make sense to grow one for my camino. It's not like I'll be kissing anyone. :rolleyes:

I didn't bother shaving last year but I looked pretty scruffy after a week and had a two-tone tan at the end :)
I will be shaving as I go this year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.