• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bears do it in the woods

+@^^

practically i like to keep the place tidy
and the same goes for when ive got "to go"
its inevitable
maybe more so where distances between stops is greater
like the vdlp
so.......
has anybody carried a purpose designed pocket trowel
designed to dig a hole like bears do in the woods
like the one from sea to summit
its in their "leave no trace" product range
http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/60

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The problem with digging a hole on very busy routes like the Camino Frances is that there are so many people who will have already 'been' there before you. And you are never far from 'civilisation' - houses, fields where people work etc.
Generally it is advised that burying the actual waste (in more remote parts of the world) might be ok if it is VERY deep, and well away from water courses, but that paper, tampons and such like should never be buried because animals, birds etc dig them out and then they blow around. Very nasty.
I think that the best solution is to keep plastic bags in your pockets and use them for all solid waste, paper etc, tie it up and carry it with you until you come to a rubbish bin. Like people here in the UK do for their dogs.
Ideally one should try to 'go' in a toilet in a bar or in the albergue but sometimes the urge comes in most inconvenient places!!
This forum has even had discussions about women and pee-ing! The various suggestions (in order to NOT leave paper around) were (as I recall)
1. as above, use a bag
2. wear a panty liner which will catch the drips or
3. keep a hanky in your pocket to use and rinse it out each night

best wishes
B

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Even a she-wee needs the drips dealt with - and it's the nasty bits of paper blowing around which are so horrid!

But a she-wee would take away that awful sense of vulnerability when one is squatting with bare bum exposed!!

Yes I have one as a novelty, but could not quite bring myself to take it on my walks, it is occupying a discreet corner of one of my bathroom drawers in original packaging. May be one day...Gitti

:D

Is there a moon cup there too?!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not sure what that is sorry... English is my second language...Gitti

Oops googled it, no is the answer, I am in my fifties, Gitti

Yes, I had a trowel with me on my Camino (Frances)- it came in handy often. While I agree that one is not in true wilderness on the Camino, you are often still far from public accomodations. I've also recommended carrying a lighter (to burn the paper in the trowel-dug hole before covering) but others on the forum thought I was going to start a forest fire. :shock:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
gittiharre said:
Yes I have one as a novelty, but could not quite bring myself to take it on my walks, it is occupying a discreet corner of one of my bathroom drawers in original packaging. May be one day...Gitti

LOL I have one to Gitti it even has a pretty pink case and 'extension tube' but I'm afraid I'm a closet failed She wee user (...don't even go there :oops: ) So if anyone has any tips or advise on using the damn things....but PM only please!
Nell

Telluridewalker said:
While I agree that one is not in true wilderness on the Camino, you are often still far from public accomodations. :shock:

My point was not how far we the pilgrims might be from a public toilet, but how close to the local inhabitants' homes, work place, fields etc we are going to be leaving little piles of s..t, buried or not. That is why my preferred option, should one be caught short and desperate, would be to take away both the heap and the paper in a plastic bag (or maybe two!!) to put in a bin when you come across one.

Here's the best article I've found about human waste disposal:

http://www.trailspace.com/articles/back ... posal.html

I guess the sticking point would be what you consider the Camino: mostly a walk in the woods or more a walk through peoples' backyards.

In my highly regulated town, all dog walkers are required to carry a "doggie poop bag." I think it would be a good idea for all peregrinos to carry a human version, as has been suggested on this thread.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What an interesting article! I like the coffee filter idea - light and tough! I don't think I'd carry cat-litter - on the camino you are going to find a bin quite soon, so a couple of carrier bags would do, I'm sure. (I once was able to use nearby discarded carrier bags which were blowing around, so overall I improved the environment!!). If you were in some pristine wilderness area for a long trip I can see the point of the cat litter, but perhaps digging a hole would be more sensible.

Well, you live and learn, don't you!!

thanks for all your advice
?why is it that no kit packing lists include a trowel as a basic item
?what DO pilgrims do when the gotta do it
a basic trowel weighs 99g, so it cant be the weight

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.