• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beat Those Cabin Baggage Nazis!

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
:D
Thought I’d bring forum members attention to a perhaps useful range of clothing that has gained attention amongst the air travelling public in the US. It was designed to facilitate increasing the amount of cabin baggage one could legally get onboard, something of considerable interest to us pilgrims.

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Mens ... Vest.shtml

After some deliberation I recently purchased from the Men’s Lightweight Travel Vest. It has 22 pockets (the ipad & back pockets are quite large) & I figure to store my electronics & heavy stuff in it. When I get to airport security I’ll slip the vest off and plonk it in the tray to be scanned, after notifying security personnel what’s in it - so they don’t have a heart attack.

While the vest isn’t cheap (I waited til it came on special @ $80) it is very well made and will surely enable me to get my pack on as cabin baggage without hassle.
So what will I do with it while Camino-ing? I’m thinking about dispensing with my windbreaker/shower jacket and utilising the vest instead.
The cons are that my vest is sleeveless and hoodless. OK, so I’ll slip my fleece on if it gets chilly even a light Galician Aqua Attack can be handled with a poncho or heavy duty rain jacket – de rigueur anyway.

Why didn’t I just buy Scottevest’s ‘Pack Windbreaker’ to replace my windbreaker? It’s got 17 pockets and I could wear it onboard a flight, or at least onto the plane. That's an option, right?
Cause it didn’t occur to me at the time, and I’m a bloke, and we don’t get everything right first time, cobber.

Treated myself to a couple of Q-Zip’s for consideration as Camino wear but they haven’t arrived yet.

The daily changing sale is worth keeping an eye on as everything seems to turn up there eventually.

Because international shipping is quite expensive (I’m in Aussie) I emailed their CEO Scott Jordan and whinged about the shipping cost. He appears to have instituted discounts on that every now and then – like today May 17th there is a 50% discount on International shipping costs.
In hoping my ramblings may be of some benefit may I wish you all,

Buen Camino Cobbers
See you in September
Gerard

Ps. Good cheap >100 decibel ITW Survival Whistle under Accessories.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So you won't need a rucsac then?
Have you weighed all this stuff you're planning to take?
Never mind the cabin baggage restrictions, you've got to carry it all for upto 800kms.
Just read all the posts on minimalist gear, and pack accordingly.
As has been said many times on here, the lighter,the better.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Not to put a downer on the product, but after looking where the pockets are on the Q-Zip, it seems to me that they are in exactly the wrong spots if you're carrying a backpack. The top pocket looks like it will have the shoulder strap sitting directly on top of it while the bottom pocket will have to contend with the waistband of the backpack. Meaning that anything inside the pocket is likely to either dig into you or rub uncomfortably against you.

I look forward to hearing what your thoughts are after a practical test as I'm basing my opinions solely on the pictures on the website. I can see it being very useful for the evenings or wandering around town after the day's walking is done.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
BoldenMD said:
Love the look and practicality of the Q-Zip. Any assessments on that for Camino wear?
I've utilised two Q-zips for a couple of months. They certainly look good (and I am vain) but I would suggest they are too delicate for wearing under a pack, but I will take one for evening wear as they feel great, and are longsleeved, cool, and quick drying.
I will definitely be taking my Scottevest Lightweight Travel Vest both for help with cabin baggage and it will replace my light shower jacket. The weight makes me wince a little at 510gms.

Gerard

I just received my lightweight vest and the Q-Zips to start putting them to the test before my Camino at the end of August. My first impression is that the vest is amazing: all of those pockets! I am actually a bit afraid that I would forget where some of them are. I love the fabric, though, and it seems to breathe well. I love the look of the Q-Zips in person. We will see what I think after a couple of wearings. I also received some insect shield and other garments from Ex Officio. I'm really looking forward to trying out this gear.

Here's a question for anyone who has used ExOfficio shirts on the Camino. I ordered a couple of the insect shield variety and just realized that they are 70 percent cotton. That said, ExOffcio claims on its website that this shirt "provides sun protection with a UPF 30+ rating, dries quickly, and wicks moisture from the skin." Anyone have experience with them on the Camino? The high percentage of cotton has me leery. They offer other shirts with tech fabrics, but they don't feature the bug repellent feature.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Apparently nobody else has worn ExOfficio Michael!
Whatever, I think we get a little pedantic sometimes about this cotton business. If they are comfortable, lightweight and drip dry overnight they'll be fine.
I think I'm about a week ahead of you out of SJPDP, but then I'm only strolling to Santiago, so keep an eye out for an antipodean dude with a Forum badge on his pack.

Buen Camino
Gerard

I have the Ex Officio shirts. They dry as fast as my high-tech shirts, faster than some of the high-tech that wick the moisture, but don't seem to want to give it up!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back