• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beautiful DVD collection on the Via de la Plata

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
There is a stunning DVD pack on the Via de la Plata - in Spanish but to beautiful that you will still be swept away by it!

http://www.elcorteingles.es/cine/produc ... 5941512953

Here is a revue of the DVD:

The discs contain fourteen 45-minutes episodes for a total duration of 640 minutes. Each episode covers a specific 80 to 100 kms segment and it completes the entire 1,000 kms of the Via narrating the history and circumstances of its creation over the last 3,000 years, and visiting its most important and emblematic monuments and places. Those who first opened the Via in prehistoric times did so because of the natural passes in the huge mountain ranges and the rivers that could be crossed. It appears that humans and cattle traversed the route in Neolithic times. The Romans used the Via in their penetration of the Iberian peninsula from Betis (Seville, more or less) and used it in their conquest of the Peninsula. The Moors were able to occupy Spain in a relatively short time because of the fabulous network of of extraordinary cobbled highways which the Romans created throughout the Peninsula, particularly in the route of the Via de la Plata. The Arab word for the paved connecting highways of the Via was "al blasat" (cobbled), which Latinized became "plata", whence the name of the Via which is totally unrelated to silver.
Now.... The discs start out by showing the covered section on a map to fix its location, and then follow the route from the air showing every river, every range, every forest, every town and so on. The aerial view lingers above the cities, monuments and churches in a way that one can really appreciate the greatness of their structure in relation to their surroundings. When a particular town, church, monastery. monument or significant university or particular activity comes into view, learned commentators serve as guides thereof with an erudition, clarity and richness of detail superior to anything I've ever seen in similar PBS programs. And wow!!!! ....those aerial views!

The series was produced by an outfit called DIVISA HOME VIDEO 2006 located in Valladolid (in association with TVE, the National Television Center of Spain); they have a home page : http://www.divisared.es
Unfortunately for some of you, I think, the discs are only in Spanish, but, regardless.... what a feast for the eyes of the whole country.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back