• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beautiful voice - Singing Nun in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela

Giselleontour

The Alps in Germany. All around the world.
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances- September-Ocober 2016
Camino Frances: May-June 2017
Camino Portugues - May 2019
Just back and still a part of my soul in on the camino and needs time to arrive. Our camino was full of spirit and breathtaking moments. We walked from Logrono to Santiago in September-Oktober. It was a senior camino - not more than 21 km a day. Just one day we walked through the the Meseta and found out, that this was to much for us. After that we decided to reduce and feel well. No blisters and time to spread candels in churches and watch the life in the villages. I was the best we could do. We are retired and had the time.

Please, does any one know if this angelic voice of the nun singing in the pilgrim mass belongs to sister Maria Asuncion? I found this name on some YouTube videos and thought she might be it. But these videos are some years ago made.

Thank you and Buen Camino

Sorry for my grammar - I am from Germany and might made some mistakes in my posting.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think you're right. She is amazing! I said to her that I thought she had a lovely voice - she smiled and pointed up to heaven, as if to say that her voice is a gift from God.

When I attended the mass it was a wonderful tenor who sang during the censing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes...she has an astoundingly beautiful voice.
You can PM @JohnnieWalker; he'll be able to tell you for sure if that is her name.
So glad to know you had a good pilgrimage!
And your shoes?? I like the part about 'no blisters'....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Now I know her name Johnnie Walker - thank you. And thank you for all your answers. I think both Madre Maria Asuncion and Madre Victoria have amazing voices. So glad to have the opportunity to hear Madre Victoria singing.

@Viranani - yes our first Camino was more thank we hoped it will be. Still going on....
The shoes have been wonderful. I did wear them during the pilgrimage often on the way and every evening. And YES we have been so grateful to have no medicine issues - no blisters all the time.

The shell I found on the way to Castrojeriz I left in the little old church - Capilla de San Froilan - Ruitelan. (Thank you for your help again).

I do totally agree! I attended the pilgrim's mass on 10/3 and 10/5... both days I just cried when I heard her sing... her voice just filled the cathedral with beauty and filled my heart with joy! What an unexpected highlight of my pilgrimage! Peace and Buen Camino to all! Pam

Can I just mention that these nuns were astonished when I explained they are "reinas de YouTube" They understood that "reinas" means "Queens" but You Tube??? When I showed Maria Asunción herself singing on a You Tube video on my phone - she thought it was literally just a video on my phone. It took a little time to explain that millions of people can see her on what she calls the "Interweb" Charming.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We were hoping to find a recording of her singing in the Cathedral gift shop. We were informed that she sings for the Lord and not commercial purposes. We recorded some for our own devotional.

Just back and still a part of my soul in on the camino and needs time to arrive. Our camino was full of spirit and breathtaking moments. We walked from Logrono to Santiago in September-Oktober. It was a senior camino - not more than 21 km a day. Just one day we walked through the the Meseta and found out, that this was to much for us. After that we decided to reduce and feel well. No blisters and time to spread candels in churches and watch the life in the villages. I was the best we could do. We are retired and had the time.

Please, does any one know if this angelic voice of the nun singing in the pilgrim mass belongs to sister Maria Asuncion? I found this name on some YouTube videos and thought she might be it. But these videos are some years ago made.

Sorry for my grammar - I am from Germany and might made some mistakes in my posting.
I agree about that wonderful voice! She leads the singing at the pilgrim mass. I am sure the cathedral would be able to tell you her name.
I have heard her several times and she always makes it seem special.
And your English is great!

Can I just mention that these nuns were astonished when I explained they are "reinas de YouTube" They understood that "reinas" means "Queens" but You Tube??? When I showed Maria Asunción herself singing on a You Tube video on my phone - she thought it was literally just a video on my phone. It took a little time to explain that millions of people can see her on what she calls the "Interweb" Charming.
Have been thrilled to see/hear her twice. Worth the walk, both times. Please tell her she has 2 fans in Florida. I have her youtube among my favorites. :)

I have an iphone video of her singing during the Butafumiero Ceremony in its entirity. Unfortunately she is not in camera but her voice brings back the extreme emotions I felt. The video is from 2009. If you would like to have it please pm me with your e-mail and I can send it along. It is too large a file to get on here.

Well done Johnnie - I think its wonderful that this beautiful woman who has dedicated her life to serving her God was (almost) totally unaware of the power of 21st C communication. I was in the cathedral back on Sept 2015 & was delighted to be entertained (even mildly lectured?) by this wonderful woman.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I waited around for ages after a Mass in the Catedral in May of 2015 to get this grainy selfie with Sister Mary Asuncion. She was not at all keen on the idea. Maybe she did not understand what I was asking for? I think more likely she just didn't want any recognition for her marvellous service.
View media item 5741

Have been thrilled to see/hear her twice. Worth the walk, both times. Please tell her she has 2 fans in Florida. I have her youtube among my favorites. :)
Please share a YouTube link! I'd be blessed to watch before I am able to go on my Camino next summer!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
she was amazing..... truly
Hi Leanne. We met on the Camino and you were very kind. I cherish my memory of our dinner.
she was amazing..... truly
I wanted to tell you that my problem with the pain in my legs turned out to be osteoarthritis in my hips. I will need hip replacement surgery. That is why none of the meds were doing much for it. X-rays show the left is severe, that is where the most pain was. Thank you again for your concern, and kindness.

It's really a fascinating and mystical path. Exceptional walking experience on my over 1000 kilometrs,.... probably never the finished story .... Also with the wonderful voice of Madre Victorie ... I never forget on May 27. 2017, when I was in the Cathedral of St. Jacob in Spain, for the first time in my life I heard her singing Alleluia ... Magnificent, modest, warm, human and divine ....

Last edited:
It's really a fascinating and mystical path. Exceptional walking experience on my over 1000 kilometrs,.... probably never the unfinished story .... Also with the wonderful voice of Madre Victorie ... I never forget on May 28. 2017, when I was in the Cathedral of St. Jacob in Spain, for the first time in my life I heard her singing Alleluia ... Magnificent, modest, warm, human and divine ....
Welcome to the forum, Igor!

Pa še po slovensko: dobrodošli na Forumu ;)

Boštjan

Thank you, Boštjan!
Pa še po špansko: Buen Camino ;)
Igor

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know this is an old thread but hoping you can answer this Johnnie Walker...what religious order are Sisters Maria Asunción and Victoria? Thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back