• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed bug alert at san Anton Abad in Villafranca Montes de Oca

Helen from Montreal

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago-Finisterre-Muxia, July 2017

SJPP-Santiago de Compostela, September-October (2016)
I was bitten up the night of Sept 21 and caught a live bed bug, that I slipped into a baggie and brought to the management as we were leaving. He said two things: the pilgrims bring them in, and they "disinfect every day." No apologies. I wasn't going to post on the blog, thinking that maybe it was an isolated situation (left the night before by the previous guest?) but then we ran into some Camino friends 2 days later in Burgos. One had been bitten up in the same albergue 2 nights later, including on the eye (ouch!) and had had to move into the lounge to get some sleep. The other person caught a few live bugs and did not get much sleep either. They had been staying in a different room from me, so not an isolated incident, in other words.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sigh - disinfecting simply doesn't kill bed bugs as they are not an infection but an infestation. Sorry to hear that this otherwise nice albergue has been invaded by them and that the management seems to be, shall we say, less than eager to deal with them. Buen Camino, SY

PS In one point they are right, it is us, the pilgrims, that taxi them from albergue to albergue ...

He said two things: the pilgrims bring them in, and they "disinfect every day." No apologies.
What he said was true. However, a "we're sorry" statement might have been nice as a courtesy.

thinking that maybe it was an isolated situation
On the Camino there is no such thing as an isolated bedbug situation.

In some ways, I didn't find that to be the friendliest albergue, but it is very comfortable, clean and well managed. I expect they have a rigorous routine and would have fewer bedbugs than the average one! I would stay there again even though I am a bedbug magnet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We stayed on 22nd Sep and checked our beds carefully but found no sign of any infestation. The staff were very friendly and the food was great, I had rabbit stew. You can rent a blanket for €1 if you're cold. There's a lovely sun terrace and great tapas in the bar. A large sunny area to dry clothing makes life easier. All in all a very good Albergue

Its not an albergue thing - its a pilgrim thing!
A pilgrim in our amaWalkers group was bitten on legs and arms and we only stay in hotels or pensions. Because she couldn't remember exactly where she was bitten, we let places in two towns know and they were very grateful. One Casa Rural closed the room so that exterminators could come in to check it. She was sharing a room but her room mate wasn't bitten so I guess it was a bug carried in by a pilgrim.

Yes, of course pilgrims bring them in (and carry them out, too), but if left unchecked once they come in for a visit--be it hostel, pension, albergue, or 5-star hotel--they can spread. In our case, I was not reporting bites, but a live bug in my bed. The bites turned up later. Our bags were heavily treated with permethrin before our trip, so fingers crossed we are not carrying any with us.....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back