• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed bug alert Sept '16- Comillas. Albergue de Peregrinos La Peña

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino: Inglés, June '23
There is a big infestation of bedbugs at this Albergue. Literally 1 hour ago most people staying there left when the news came out and we had checked it to be true.

Some Germans a few stages further up the Camino realised they had been attacked by bedbugs at this Albergue and phoned back to tell their friends who were staying there.

We returned from a meal in this lovely town to find everybody sitting outside talking about this. We checked under our mattresses and they were riddled with bed bugs. I have taken photos.

I don't want to scaremonger but you might want to avoid this Albergue for now and pass this information on to fellow peregrinos. It was not just our group. At least 12 of the 20 peregrinos staying there left, calling up local hotels for rooms. There was no hospitalero to speak to at this time.

I've no idea if there is an official channel to report this to, or if it's just part of the Camino experience!!

Buen Camino all, preferably bed bug free!

Pete

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hopefully, it will get reported to the albergue management.
There is a great danger downstream when an infected albergue does not shut down and decontaminate

I am not familiar with this albergue so do not know how it is operated.

This is the Albergue: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-de-peregrinos-la-pena.

It is, I believe in the old jail of Comillas. I stayed there when it first opened about 10 (??) years ago.

If you scroll through the comments, you will see that a Spanish pilgrim reports 60 bites in August, not confirmed as bed bugs, but that's suspicious. Seems that maybe the "management" hasn't been alerted. Hope that your group finds a way to notify the hospitalero, because treatment is essential, as grayland says.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I stayed there four years ago the hospitalera showed up in the afternoon, stamped credentials, collected money, and was not seen again. Perhaps someone who saw the bugs could contact them by phone or email info according to wepage:
  • Teléfono de contacto: 942 72 00 33 Ayuntamiento de Comillas; 942 72 25 91 Oficina de turismo
not to make light of this unfortunate occurrence but I thought the hotels in Comillas looked very nice and wouldn't have minded staying in one

There is a big infestation of bedbugs at this Albergue. Literally 1 hour ago most people staying there left when the news came out and we had checked it to be true.

Some Germans a few stages further up the Camino realised they had been attacked by bedbugs at this Albergue and phoned back to tell their friends who were staying there.

We returned from a meal in this lovely town to find everybody sitting outside talking about this. We checked under our mattresses and they were riddled with bed bugs. I have taken photos.

I don't want to scaremonger but you might want to avoid this Albergue for now and pass this information on to fellow peregrinos. It was not just our group. At least 12 of the 20 peregrinos staying there left, calling up local hotels for rooms. There was no hospitalero to speak to at this time.

I've no idea if there is an official channel to report this to, or if it's just part of the Camino experience!!

Pete

Many thanks Pete for this important information. I have put it right now into a german forum. So hopefully all pilgrims will know this.

Once again many thanks and a bug free way, Rainer

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What's 'bed bugs' in Spanish:eek:

I've sent an email to the albergue. @Pete Dunn as you experienced this directly perhaps you could also send one. I kept it very short and used google translate to put it into Spanish.
Thanks Kanga. I will do so. Although I'm pretty sure the German girl was going to make it known as she was so disgusted.

I really don't want to make a big issue of this and cause problems for the albergues which perform a fantastic role, but hadn't appreciated until speaking to more experienced peregrinos how much of a problem this is and must be taken seriously.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks Kanga. I will do so. Although I'm pretty sure the German girl was going to make it known as she was so disgusted.

I really don't want to make a big issue of this and cause problems for the albergues which perform a fantastic role, but hadn't appreciated until speaking to more experienced peregrinos how much of a problem this is and must be taken seriously.
Thanks...I think it's especially important in albergues without in-house hospitaleros to get this sort of information. Unless things have changed (quite possible) the hospitalera who checked you in won't arrive back until long after the last pilgrim has left, so would have no way of knowing there was a mass middle of the night exodus, or its cause. I'm sure they would want to know and do something about it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Pete
I stayed there about 4 weeks ago and it seemed fine. I did sleep in the smaller bunk room downstairs though. There was talk from other pilgrims 10 days ago about bed bugs. But the hostel had been closed and fumigated (or whatever they do)

I stayed here last Tuesday (21st ?). I did get bitten but by mosquitoes - I like Lucy was in the ground floor room which had 2 bunk beds and a mattress on the floor but no door . looking at the bites now they don't look like bed bug bites. I did not see any evidence of bugs when setting up the disposable bed sheets and I always look

Duncan

I stayed there on 13th september. There were bedbugs. I killed 29. A german lady sleeping next to me got bitten very badly. Her feet were swolled the next day. I left a message with all killed bedbugs on the hospitalero desk. There was a previous message hidden below some magazines. I talked to many pilgrims who stayed there and got bitten really badly. The corners of the big dorm were reported to be taped over with bedbugs underneath. I heard that one night someone even called the police. The hospitalero was reported not to care much. We have seen hospitalera carrying around a bug spray but she didn't alert anyone.
So yeah, this albergue has problems. Some bad reports also came from the next two albergues, in San Vicente de la Barquera and Colombres.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks to this forum I stayed before Comillas last night----- but just met a lady who stayed at the Albergue there last night - she was covered in bites!!!!

Pete
The bedbug infestation continues. We met up with peregrinos yesterday that had the same issue in Comillas just 2 days ago. There were bites up and down their arms.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So yeah, this albergue has problems. Some bad reports also came from the next two albergues, in San Vicente de la Barquera and Colombres.
If the above is accurate (meaning the reports heard, not the person posting) then it sounds like it may already be marching down the road. Is there a local pilgrims group (like local chapters we have in each state)?

If the above is accurate (meaning the reports heard, not the person posting) then it sounds like it may already be marching down the road. Is there a local pilgrims group (like local chapters we have in each state)?
Yep, it would be wise to alert albergues further down (up, actually) the Camino!!!
I remember in 2011 on CF In Las Herrerias private albergue they have asked me about bites. "Bites"? What bites??? Didn't know anything about any bites at that time (OK, mosquitos, yes). In 2014 I understood what that was all about when I was really severly bitten.
So if there is any way to spread the word further on that would be very helpfull I guess. Without making any panic of course :) Just a help to owners, hospitaleros and fellow pilgrims.

Bedbug free Camino I wish to you all on the road at the time!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have just written to Alejandro (formerly of Bodenaya on the Primitivo). He has an Albergue in Caborredondo, in between Santander and Comillas. Though he isn't "downstream" from the problem, he is a great guy and very dedicated to the Camino. I will let you know what I hear from him. Buen camino Laurie

Wow, that was fast. I just got a response from Alejandro who says he will be in contact with the people in charge. Hopefully this will stop the problem in Comillas, but of course there are now lots of albergues downstream that are likely to be infected. Buen camino, Laurie
great job!
I'm happy to hear Alejandro has an albergue on the Norte, I was so disappointed when I'd read he was no longer at Bodenaya (his was one of the best albergue experiences I had). Do you know the name of it?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
great job!
I'm happy to hear Alejandro has an albergue on the Norte, I was so disappointed when I'd read he was no longer at Bodenaya (his was one of the best albergue experiences I had). Do you know the name of it?

Here's a post I wrote when it opened. Caborredondo is the name of the town.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/new-albergue-in-caborredondo.38688

The albergue's name is Izarra, and it's right on the camino. You won't be able to miss it, I'm told. http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-de-peregrinos-izarra.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.