• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Bug Bed Sheets

Anjelee56

Time of past OR future Camino
October (2015)
I have been reading information on how to protect yourself from the bed bugs. I have purchased the bed bug materess cover as suggested but am wondering ??? if placing the materess cover and enclosing the matteress in this zipper treated case, once it is taken off the following morning, are the bugs/eggs not going to be inside (a few) the materess cover as you remove it from the bed. Then they would travel with you to the next materess you encounter on your journey, would they not ? A little confused ........Could someone explain how this materess cover comes off with no bugs on the inner surface, which has just spent 8-9 hours besides, on top off, or under, these little critters.

I have the spray and plan to spray our back packs, and in addition, place the packs into a thick green garbage , once arriving at our destination. That makes sense to me.

Thank you !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Most of the anti-bedbug sheets talked about on this forum are not zippered mattress covers. Rather they are simple fitted sheets (sprayed with permethrin) that fit on the top and sides of the mattress. The idea is that the permethrin treatment will deter bedbugs from walking across that sheet to your body, and will instead pick on someone else. There is not much scientific evidence that this will be effective, but it is likely worth trying. Many albergues already have plastic covers on their mattresses. I can't imagine carrying the bulk and weight of a zippered mattress cover and wrestling it on and off the bed every day, especially since bedbugs could be in the other mattresses in the room, as well as in furniture and crevices in the floors and walls, etc. And you pointed out how difficult it would still be to guarantee no hitchhikers in that mattress cover.

Unfortunately there is no sure way to avoid bedbugs on the camino. You can reduce your risks - first of all by inspecting the bed and area and leaving if you see signs of bedbugs. Then, use a treated sheet under your treated sleeping bag, and enclose your treated backpack in an airtight bag while in the albergue. I intend to take a second airtight bag to enclose my sleeping bag and night things during the day inside my pack. That way, if I develop itchy spots during the day (from being bitten the night before) I have isolated the things that have been exposed to bedbugs. The itchy spots can take a day or more to emerge, and some people do not react to the bites at all.

The most important thing is to avoid bringing bedbugs home. You need to figure out how to get all of your stuff treated upon arrival at home, without spreading them around your house. Enough heat or cold will kill bedbugs. You need to heat them to about 55 C (130 F) for 20 minutes, and if you wash them first you will need to get them dry first and then add 20 more minutes. Or you can put them into a freezer at -15 C (0 F) for a week or two. Some but not all regular fridge-freezer compartments get down to this temperature. Finally, you'll just have to inspect and wipe down things like your cell phone.

There are links to a lot of information from reputable sources of information on the Camino Resources page at the top of this forum page.

There is scientific evidence that permetrin kills non-warmblood critters: bed bugs, other bugs, fleas, ticks, also fish. Spraying is effective for appr. 2 months if you don't wash sprayed stuff. If you wash, it goes to the river and kills those poor fishies in there. So its not about spoiling bed bugs' appetites only.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I've attached two links. The first is a BB sheet/net that is extremely lite weight and effective. The second is for 10% permithrin. I retreat the sheet to raise the permithrin level to 1%. Simple to do. Just dilute the 10% down to 1%. I also use the 1% solution to spray my pack and sleeping bag. Use a .5% solution for your clothes and you're good to go. The sheet, bag and backpack treated @ 1% will kill BB and prevent you from transporting them. In some cases of severe infestation you will see bb crawl on the treated fabrics, however, they die after a while. Therefore, you havent transported them. I store my sheet and sleeping bag (Quilt) together in a separate sylnylon waterproof stuff sack(which is also treated). Treat the inside and outside of your backpack.
https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/product/mosquito-nets/bed-bug-sheet-single
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EVKCKM/?tag=casaivar02-20

There is scientific evidence that permetrin kills non-warmblood critters: bed bugs, other bugs, fleas, ticks, also fish.
I agree - there is scientific evidence to support this. However, there are increasing populations of resistant bedbugs too. This webpage has some links to scientific studies of the effects of permethrin on bedbugs. Warning - some graphic images!

Spraying is effective for appr. 2 months if you don't wash sprayed stuff.

The evidence to support "effectiveness" of treated fabrics in deterring bedbugs, before they bite you, is very weak at best. In fact, one study (Ohio State University, linked from that same page above) stated: "Video data revealed that bed bugs readily traversed ActiveGuard fabric and spent a considerable amount of time moving about and resting on it during a 12-h period." (I have an image of the bedbugs partying there at night.:rolleyes:)

Given all that, I still think it is reasonable to take a treated sheet for whatever small deterrent effect it might have. I haven't found a way to buy the Lifesystems sheet suggested by @Americanperegrino (who had other useful info in the post above) and I don't want to carry a heavier sheet especially since it might not even work. Instead I have made my own, as suggested by several people on this forum, from tulle fabric (used for bridal veils) which I'm spraying with permethrin. Tulle is available at any fabric store and will cost well under $10. A piece, 2m x 1.50 m weighs only 30g and I can throw it away if I feel too silly using it.

Every time a thread is posted on bedbugs I tell myself not to even read it! :mad::( I might become known here as "Bedbug Lady" if I'm not careful. It bothers me to see statements made as fact when there isn't supporting evidence for the exact situation. We can and should still make decisions that take into account whatever facts are available, together with half-facts, probabilities and many hopes. I just like to be clear on which are which!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
incidentally; have bought the Lifesystem bed bug sheet ( Q8 anti Moscuito Technology) for the next trip, and discovered it is netting rather than a flat sheet.
Has anyone got an opinion if this is sufficient.
Not that I would suspect the bed bugs could tap dance in the spacings in between, but !??

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thats the one I'll be using. Basically, works two way. First, the netting stops the bug from passing through the net. Second, the permithrim kills em.

incidentally; have bought the Lifesystem bed bug sheet ( Q8 anti Moscuito Technology) for the next trip, and discovered it is netting rather than a flat sheet.
Has anyone got an opinion if this is sufficient.
Not that I would suspect the bed bugs could tap dance in the spacings in between, but !??
I used the same on my last Camino and was not bitten... No idea if it was thanks to the sheet but psychologically....I slept better!
It's coming back with me this year. (I still do a thorough check before settling into an albergue, though. If I see evidence of bed bugs, I don't stay).

This might be a silly question, but if you've protected yourself from bedbugs that may be on your bottom bunk bed (eg. with sprayed netted fabric covering your mattress), is there any way that bugs can crawl (or drop - ew!) on you from an unprotected top bunk bed?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
is there any way that bugs can crawl (or drop - ew!) on you from an unprotected top bunk bed?
Oh yes. That is why thorough research of this part of the forum is highly recommended. Learning to recognize bug-sign and avoiding the little b*ggers is much more useful. Or try always grabbing a top bunk - then you only have the ceiling to worry about :confused:

Buen (bug-free) camino

Most of the anti-bedbug sheets talked about on this forum are not zippered mattress covers. Rather they are simple fitted sheets (sprayed with permethrin) that fit on the top and sides of the mattress. The idea is that the permethrin treatment will deter bedbugs from walking across that sheet to your body, and will instead pick on someone else. There is not much scientific evidence that this will be effective, but it is likely worth trying. Many albergues already have plastic covers on their mattresses. I can't imagine carrying the bulk and weight of a zippered mattress cover and wrestling it on and off the bed every day, especially since bedbugs could be in the other mattresses in the room, as well as in furniture and crevices in the floors and walls, etc. And you pointed out how difficult it would still be to guarantee no hitchhikers in that mattress cover.

Unfortunately there is no sure way to avoid bedbugs on the camino. You can reduce your risks - first of all by inspecting the bed and area and leaving if you see signs of bedbugs. Then, use a treated sheet under your treated sleeping bag, and enclose your treated backpack in an airtight bag while in the albergue. I intend to take a second airtight bag to enclose my sleeping bag and night things during the day inside my pack. That way, if I develop itchy spots during the day (from being bitten the night before) I have isolated the things that have been exposed to bedbugs. The itchy spots can take a day or more to emerge, and some people do not react to the bites at all.

The most important thing is to avoid bringing bedbugs home. You need to figure out how to get all of your stuff treated upon arrival at home, without spreading them around your house. Enough heat or cold will kill bedbugs. You need to heat them to about 55 C (130 F) for 20 minutes, and if you wash them first you will need to get them dry first and then add 20 more minutes. Or you can put them into a freezer at -15 C (0 F) for a week or two. Some but not all regular fridge-freezer compartments get down to this temperature. Finally, you'll just have to inspect and wipe down things like your cell phone.

There are links to a lot of information from reputable sources of information on the Camino Resources page at the top of this forum page.

C clearly, great words of wisdom. Also, I have often wondered just how many of us on the forum have actually carried live bed bugs home with us? Just wondering.......

is there any way that bugs can crawl (or drop - ew!) on you from an unprotected top bunk bed?
Sure, probably! But you prefaced the question with
if you've protected yourself from bedbugs that may be on your bottom bunk bed (eg. with sprayed netted fabric covering your mattress)
There isn't much evidence to prove that this "protection" is particularly effective, but it's the best you can do. Remember, this is a risk- management exercise, not risk-elimination.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After 5 Camino's and 5 bed bug experiences I bought the lifesystems bed bug sheet as well as the lifesystems bed bug silk liner AND pretreated my pack and every stuff sack as well as my sleeping clothes with permethrin for my recent September camino.

All I can say is that it was the worst bed bug experience I've ever had (involving a trip to the doctor and being prescribed corti-costeroid) and I ended up throwing out the bed bug sheet because everything else was in and out of a hot dryer numerous times (and my pack / shoes were sprayed again) but I just didn't trust this sheet anymore.

I'm the one you want sleeping near you in an albergue because no-one else seems to get feasted on like I do :(

Thats the one I'll be using. Basically, works two way. First, the netting stops the bug from passing through the net. Second, the permithrim kills em.

Permethrin will "eventually" kill a bed bug but that's long after they've bitten you. It takes a while for their bodies to absorb the insecticide and they are not deterred by it. It does work well for mosquitoes though.

I just returned from walking 11 days on two portions of the Camino Frances. My strategy for avoiding being bitten by bed bugs or carrying them in my belongings was the following: (1) Based on a suggestion that I read on this forum, I brought with me a heavy duty plastic trash bag with a cinch top large enough for my backpack. Each day upon arrival at my albergue or hostel, I immediately put the backpack with all of my belongings inside the trash bag. I never left any of my clothing or gear loose on the floor or on the bed, but always put everything inside the trash bag. When I went to sleep at night, I cinched up the top closure of the bag to keep any bugs out of my stuff. (2) Before traveling, I bought two of the pre-treated, flat, mesh Life Systems bed bug sheets. I made a sack out of them (like a sleeping bag liner) by laying one on top of the other and sewing them together down one side, across the bottom, and part way up the other side. I finished that side off by putting in a zipper, but you could just add some strings to tie that side closed. Upon arrival, this was the only thing that I put on my bunk to claim it. When I went to sleep, I unrolled my sleeping bag inside the mesh sack. When I got into my sleeping bag inside the mesh sack, the mesh sack was long enough that I could pull it all the way up and over my head. I figured that the mesh was fine enough that bed bugs could not crawl through it (acting like the equivalent of mosquito netting). Even if I became too hot and pushed the sleeping bag off me during the night, I was still inside of and covered by the mesh sack. This gave me peace of mind so that I could sleep without worrying about getting bitten, and to me was worth the extra weight of carrying the mesh sack. By the way, I met one pilgrim who had gotten bitten in Belorado, and I saw a couple of bed bugs on the wall of my private albergue room in Villafranca when I turned on the light in the middle of the night. (I left the light on the rest of the night!)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.