• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed bug question

JackyG

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Way September 2017.
French Way May 2018.
Planning some sort of camino for Sep 2019..
Hi, one of our party has picked up bed bugs in the last town we were in (Estella).
She’s gone to hot wash and dry all her stuff, if she does this does that definitely kill anything that could be in her pack? We’re just wondering whether it’s safe to share a hotel room tomorrow night? Or is there any risk of them still being around? TIA.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
one of our party has picked up bed bugs
What makes you think others in your party don't already have them? If any of you were sharing that room, you (and your stuff) were exposed. A significant number of people do not react at all to the bedbug bite. All of you who shared that room should be heat-treating your stuff!

What makes you think others in your party don't already have them? If any of you were sharing that room, you (and your stuff) were exposed. A significant number of people do not react at all to the bedbug bite. All of you who shared that room should be heat-treating your stuff!
No, we didn’t share a room last night, don’t know why you’d presume that. Thanks for your help though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You don't need to wash it first. Put it in the dryer first or put your whole pack in a black plastic trash bag in the sun if you don't have access to a dryer. It is the heat that kills, not the washing.
Thanks, the weather isn’t that hot right now, so thinking a boil wash plus long time in the hot dryer.
Well, you were asking if it was safe to share a room tomorrow, so it didn't seem like a stretch! Sorry if my wording seemed a bit harsh 🙃.
no worries, yeah we were just gonna share tomorrow to get out of municipals and hostels for a night, we’re just making sure we don’t take any risks in possibly spreading them though, we’re not gonna share I think to stay on safe side.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Extreme heat or boiling isn't necessary, although emotionally we feel better if we really zap everything. Get the dry fabric (and any enclosed bedbugs) up to about 55°C (130°F) for 20-30 minutes. That is not a super hot setting.

People's reactions can be delayed and new itchy spots may appear for a few days, but that does not necessarily mean they are new bites.

Boil wash is wasted thinking. And will likely destroy some modern fabrics. Dry heat kills the buggers, that’s why they live in the dark little crevices.
Meanwhile, and nothing personal here, just for the record: did someone inform the host of the potential source? If any of you stayed in the same location have you all checked your gear, particularly strap harnesses and tubular seams on backpacks?

Check again tomorrow.

Buen (bug free) Camino

Y
Boil wash is wasted thinking. And will likely destroy some modern fabrics. Dry heat kills the buggers, that’s why they live in the dark little crevices.
Meanwhile, and nothing personal here, just for the record: did someone inform the host of the potential source? If any of you stayed in the same location have you all checked your gear, particularly strap harnesses and tubular seams on backpacks?

Check again tomorrow.

Buen (bug free) Camino
Yep have let them know, and we’ve checked our stuff. Horrible little critters!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No, we didn’t share a room last night, don’t know why you’d presume that. Thanks for your help though.

The reason she said that is by far most pilgrims sleep in albergues with many beds to a room and backpacks etc either touching or close by and if one bed has bed bugs there is a strong likelihood that others may also. I would have "assumed" the same as C clearly. And as many others have said a wash is not necessary. Just the heat. If you need to wash your clothes anyway than do it. You should put your backpack in the dryer also.

The reason she said that is by far most pilgrims sleep in albergues with many beds to a room and backpacks etc either touching or close by and if one bed has bed bugs there is a strong likelihood that others may also. I would have "assumed" the same as C clearly. And as many others have said a wash is not necessary. Just the heat. If you need to wash your clothes anyway than do it. You should put your backpack in the dryer also.
Yes I’m sorted now thanks, as you pointed out I’ve had all the advice re drying etc, which you repeated. I had asked a specific question re safety being around the person I general even *if* they’d done all the steps. that’s actually what I wanted to know in the first instance, are the treatments a guarantee they die etc. As I say, all sorted now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Check again tomorrow.

Buen (bug free) Camino
Thanks, yep we’re checking constantly now, feel itchy though there’s nothing there kind of thing! I let the place know cos tbh I’m pretty sure the person in question didn’t 😣 so they’re aware now, hopefully they get it sorted 🙏

Hi, one of our party has picked up bed bugs in the last town we were in (Estella).
She’s gone to hot wash and dry all her stuff, if she does this does that definitely kill anything that could be in her pack? We’re just wondering whether it’s safe to share a hotel room tomorrow night? Or is there any risk of them still being around? TIA.
Of course there is a risk. Whatever you do, someone else may have left bugs in the hotel room

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I applaud you for posting this. Such an important issue that we all need to be vigilant and aware of. I hope that you get some helpful responses that we can all learn from. Good Luck!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks, yep we’re checking constantly now, feel itchy though there’s nothing there kind of thing! I let the place know cos tbh I’m pretty sure the person in question didn’t 😣 so they’re aware now, hopefully they get it sorted 🙏
Is it impolite to want to know which Estella albergue it was? Will be there soon and would like to know!
Kinda thought covid's new hygienic normals might have killed them off...a little too optimistic!

I applaud you for posting this. Such an important issue that we all need to be vigilant and aware of. I hope that you get some helpful responses that we can all learn from. Good Luck!
Thanks a mill

Is it impolite to want to know which Estella albergue it was? Will be there soon and would like to know!
Kinda thought covid's new hygienic normals might have killed them off...a little too optimistic!
I think we’re not allowed name places here but I can message you, I messaged them but no reply.. :/ don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing..

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think we’re not allowed name places here but I can message you, I messaged them but no reply.. :/ don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing..
I am surprised that we are not allowed to name the place! By naming them they would make 100% sure problem is solved and post that here. Actually a plus for their marketing! And good for all of us.

Reactions to bugs vary. My reaction is the same as a mosquito bite and the lump and itchiness appear very quickly.

I met a lady on the Camino Frances whose face was covered in itchy lumps. Poor bugger, bugs I thought. And so did she. But after a blood test at hospital in SdC, she discovered that her problem was not bugs, but an allergic reaction to ibuprufeno!!

Reactions to bugs vary. My reaction is the same as a mosquito bite and the lump and itchiness appear very quickly.

I met a lady on the Camino Frances whose face was covered in itchy lumps. Poor bugger, bugs I thought. And so did she. But after a blood test at hospital in SdC, she discovered that her problem was not bugs, but an allergic reaction bed bugs are in another league to mosquities

I met a lady on the Camino Frances whose face was covered in itchy lumps. Poor bugger, bugs I thought. And so did she. But after a blood test at hospital in SdC, she discovered that her problem was not bugs, but an allergic reaction to ibuprufeno!!
Bed bugs are in another league to mosquitoes and general bugs. I live in a sub tropical climate teaming with bugs. We don't like toxic sprays so have learned to co-exist, no problem. But bedbugs are another story altogether, incomparable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bed bugs can be brought into the cleanest places by the pilgrims the night before, and it's not unheard if for 5 star hotels to suffer a bedbug infestation.
I am surprised that we are not allowed to name the place! By naming them they would make 100% sure problem is solved and post that here. Actually a plus for their marketing! And good for all of us.
Naming the place won't necessarily solve the problem, and if the pilgrim who brought them in hasn't taken care to "de-bed bug" their things there will likely be an infestation in the next place they stay. Albergues do everything they can to stop infestations - it's really a pilgrim problem.

I think we’re not allowed name places here but I can message you,
By naming them they would make 100% sure problem is solved
We want people to understand that virtually every albergue on the camino will sometimes have bedbugs. Naming them is pointless and may be unfair to their reputation. It is, however, important to tell the establishment so they can take action.

Even if they "make 100% sure problem is solved" today, someone may bring bedbugs tomorrow.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think it would be really helpful if everybody was allowed to name the Albergue wherein they think they encountered bedbugs. I could compile a list of say every Albergue named in the previous month and be reasonably confident of finding a bed there as everyone else will be feeding them somewheres else

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.