• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed bug spray

Bumpa

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Roncesvalles to Sahagun Oct 2016
Sahagun to SDC April 2017 Burgos to SDC April 2018
Greetings all. Just sorting through equipment for my trip and found that my spray bottle of Permethrin is missing some how. Amazon and a couple of other sites will not ship to Canada, even though that is how I got the last bottle. My question is to all you Canadians or other nationalities who cannot buy Permethrin in country. What do you use as an alternative to pre spray for clothing or bedding?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Bumpa
I use permethrin. I have recently purchased at Home Depot in Calgary a tin (blue, in case you are looking through the shelves) of "Blaze Pro Crawling Insect Destroyer". The label lists the contents as ".05% pyrethrin, .20% permethrin, and .25% N-Octyl Bicycloheptene Dicarboximide" (I believe that the latter is a preservative. I used it last year to spray the outside of my backpack and sleeping bag. I shall do the same this year. I didn't get bitten, but I was also very careful where I stayed. Whenever a member of this forum or a pilgrim whom I met said that he or she was at an albergue where the hospitaleros or management seemed indifferent to their complaints about bedbugs, I passed by that location.
Be sure to spray things out of doors and leave them to dry there. Keep the spray away from cats, for which permethrin is very toxic. I will copy @SYates' blessing: "Buen camino sin chinches.

Greetings all. Just sorting through equipment for my trip and found that my spray bottle of Permethrin is missing some how. Amazon and a couple of other sites will not ship to Canada, even though that is how I got the last bottle. My question is to all you Canadians or other nationalities who cannot buy Permethrin in country. What do you use as an alternative to pre spray for clothing or bedding?

I don't.

Eventually that stuff gets into the food chain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Permethrin is sold in Canada for use on farm animals, so check a local feed store. You probably will want to dilute it to the .5% to 1% or so strength normally used for spraying equipment.

I am a bit concerned about using this stuff, permethrin isn't a good repellent from what I have read. It would probably help stop spreading them around if you do come into contact with them.

I am a bit concerned about using this stuff, permethrin isn't a good repellent from what I have read. It would probably help stop spreading them around if you do come into contact with them.

This is in response to G.White, as well as the three others who have responded so far. I purchased the Permethrin spray for a hike last Spring that I had to cancel as my Dad became quite ill and passed away in the first week of July. So I never used it and somehow have lost it. A sign maybe? ;)

I have been reading about the pros and cons since, both on here and other sites. I too have some reservations and I guess, like others, I am trying to balance the negative of the spray vs the negative of the bedbugs. I would usually lean towards a non chemical solution and so while still somewhat on the fence, I am sliding off into the non chemical side. Still considering.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.