• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Bug Tax

Br. David

Well, I suppose it is a good idea. The Spanish government have announced a fund-raising tax to combat bed bug infestations along the Camino Frances. From next month there will be a 2 Euro charge for a credential stamp at all refugios.

Whether those at bars and town halls and so on will be affected I don't know.

They estimate that they will raise enough money each year to fumigate all refugios at the same time, every January.

Now I'm not too fond of extra taxes, and this will add about 70 Euros to the cost of walking the Frances for a pilgrim but this could be a good idea I suppose - IF it gets rid of bed bugs .. what do you think?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The way I read that same report is that there is an additional supplementary tax on people who get bitten by bedbugs whilst those who take precautions are bite free are not charged - this is an incentive for pilgrims to take countermeasures against the spread of bed bugs.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Steve.Belfast said:
I believe Alprilofo is an efficacious insecticide.
I agree! :)

Steve.Belfast said:
I believe Alprilofo is an efficacious insecticide.

Does it cost less than 70 euros? And is it available in the US?? And who performs the bedbug bite inspection? Could be a whole new career for someone enterprising. No fooling.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
70€ will buy you enough Vino Tinto not to care if the bugs bite or not. I've also heard that if your drunk they die of alcohol poisoning. Beats a tax any day.

Anniesantiago said:
Do you think the TSA scanners catch bedbugs?

Oh, if only it were that easy....actually, that might be a great way to get out of the enhanced patdown....tell em you have bedbugs....or worse, scabies! Can you tell I have a strong dislike for the TSA???? :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've heard it won't be a flat fee- it will be 'experience rated' ie those places known to have more bedbugs will have to charge a higher levy. This will actually help pilgrims to more easily avoid such accommodation.
Margaret

Does the fact that this story came out on1 April make it any less believable

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
April fools pranks are only valid till midday on April 1st, given that many on the forum are up to one day behind Australia, I did not say anything till our April 2nd:) after midday it is the prankster that becomes the fool :) I will admit that I initially calculated the cost of my bed bug tax for my extended camino.

Off topic- if volunteering for say 1 week at a hostel are you expected to pay for your bed?

Was quite good wasn't it!

Actually, I was thinking about this 1st world plague of bedbugs - appearing in hotels in the capitals and spreading - and it just occurred to me .... could it be pilgrims returning from the Camino that has spread it globally?? Is it 'us' ? :shock:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.