• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Buggs on the Camino Frances

miratur

I am going to do the Camino Frances from late April till June this year.
Last year there seemed to be a problem wuth bedbuggs on the Camino Frances. Does anyone know if they were successfully eradicated or not. Also is there anything that can be safely used to prevent them from biting you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Arn for your help. As you have guessed I am new to this very informative website.

I shal be using Pyrethrum spray on my cloths and sleeping bag.

I still do not know if the bed buggs have been eradicated or not on the camino frances this year, that is if it is possible to get rid of them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
miratur,
I think they do their best in most places to eradicate them, with sprays etc but in some places they are very well established. However, I think they are in the main more of a summer problem.

I was walking in Spain through June and early July and people seldom reported any issues with them. The main problems seemed to emerge just after I had finished as the summer crowds arrived. If you are mainly walking during May, you may well find them not much of a problem.
Margaret

Welcome to the Board.

There is a lot posted here on bed bugs. Prevention is the best cure. They never go away because new one are constantly imported by pilgrims.

Falcon269

For the record, I'm SURE we picked ours up at Hornillos. That was the first place along the way where we saw people covered with bites next morning.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree completely with Anniesantiago, but it is possible that the bed bugs in Hornillos came from somewhere else.

Yes, they did.

One thing I thought about while I was there, and did not do... and what I WOULD do if I find the situation again:

I felt as though the little man taking care of the refuge at Hornillos was a bit ovewhelmed. The place was quite dirty (we got there at the end of the summer season, beginning of fall season). I now wish I had stayed an extra day and cleaned the place really good for him. The weather was great. The mattresses could have been taken out and sunned and sprayed and the floors swept and washed.

I realize it's too late now.. but I learned a lesson which I'll take with me on the next camino and that is to HELP wherever I see the need.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back