• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bed bugs 2013

Hi Santa 666
You will probably get many mixed answers to this question depending on people's personal experience. So , for what's its worth , I walked for six weeks sept to oct and didn't see a single bed bug. Mosquitos yes, bed bugs , no. I saw one girl with bites . I came across a lot of hysteria, and paranoia about the little critters, and a lot of people mistaking mosquito bites for bug bites. :)

So, that's one experience....
Buen camino,
Helen
The bites look like moskitobites the first days,but unlike moskitobites they are many in a row,or in rows. They get nasty after a few days,so you better get something to keep them away.I bought some in Spain,and its name is:"CLAKO punaises de lits".They had sold out those who were named in spanish and english.I bought it in a Farmacia.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Its really ironic that you should quote my earlier post here, as I am now sitting at home covered in bed bug bites !! :mad:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My partner and I got bit somewhere in Estella. We stayed here two nights at both albergues (the one at the entrance and the one at the exit the following night). I believe it was the second albergue... But it's hard to say. They are no longer with us, but the bites are! We are going to try tea tree oil for our bites.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I cannot see any ingredient listed there that will kill a bedbug unless the instructions propose that you hit them with the bottle. Although Sodium laurel Sulphate is reputed to kill fruit flies it principal use is in detergents and toothpastes, Potassium Sorbate is a preservative used to prevent fungal mould growth and Sodium Chloride is best sprinkled on freshly cooked chips (French fries).

Permethrin works, use it.

My cousin(who is a shearer ) bought the little Bugerzzz back from a shearers shed once(unbeknown to us)we would wake up in the morning cover ed in bites,couldn't find any reason for the bites. We decided the next night we would wait a little while after we went to bed & he would jump out of bed ,turn the light on,pull my blankets back. We did that,it was an army on the march across my body...:eek::eek:............Bedbugzzzzzz Yuck!.......sorry for making you all itchy........;)................Vicrev

I am so gonna be freaking out in bed tonight. :eek: Note to self...you already checked the bed with each of the last 10 threads about this!!!! lol. o_O

My partner and I got bit somewhere in Estella. We stayed here two nights at both albergues (the one at the entrance and the one at the exit the following night). I believe it was the second albergue... But it's hard to say. They are no longer with us, but the bites are! We are going to try tea tree oil for our bites.
Here's hoping those bug bites are long gone for you two by now!!! Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Came across a video that highlights the growing issue of bed bugs and some things to do to prevent the spread

I apologize but the video quality is not that great

I thought Isaw in another post that the albergues mostly use disposable bed covers which they change after each pilgrim ??

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I thought Isaw in another post that the albergues mostly use disposable bed covers which they change after each pilgrim ??
When I walked the camino back in 2011 many of the albergues were providing these but I am not sure what the status is now or how successful the disposal covers were

Last edited:
Oh well … maybe we have to live with the little suckers and deal the best we can… wonder if they drown when red wine applied…:rolleyes: just a thought …

Disposable bed covers may prevent the less frequently showered amongst us from mucking up the mattress but they won"t do anything about bed-bugs. The bugs hide in crevices in bed frames, walls and floors and emerge at night to feed. A permethrin treated mattress cover / sleeping bag / sheet liner will significantly reduce the likelihood of your being bitten. A paper fibre disposable sheet, nope.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks.
I also read that people hang their packs from the bed rather than leave them on the floor…. doesn't that also make them likely to be accessible to bugs.

People cover their packs with plastic bag at night…… ? but then wouldnt you have to discard that plastic each day as may have bugs on it .

Re boots left outside…….has anyone had their boots stolen ??

Annie

Here's hoping those bug bites are long gone for you two by now!!! Buen Camino
Thank you!
Unfortunately we have actually been bit yet again... At a hotel in carrion de Los Corres. Please pray for us >_< We're here due to a food poisoning disaster and to be greeted by these little bastards is like the perfect punch line to a really bad joke... God have mercy! >_____<

Thank you!
Unfortunately we have actually been bit yet again... At a hotel in carrion de Los Corres. Please pray for us >_< We're here due to a food poisoning disaster and to be greeted by these little bastards is like the perfect punch line to a really bad joke... God have mercy! >_____<
Oh no!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can't think of much worse than bedbugs & food poisoning together.......hope it sorts out quickly........do you know the source of the food poisoning ?.................Vicrev

Can't think of much worse than bedbugs & food poisoning together.......hope it sorts out quickly........do you know the source of the food poisoning ?.................Vicrev
Apparently several other people from our "wave" had stomach illnesses soon after we did. I seemed to just immediately react... So maybe it was something in the water or someone had a bug that just made it's way around. All of us are better now though! :)

Stomach illness and Bed bugs, it all sounds too familiar. I tried to practuce very good hygiene but being in such close contact with so many people puts you in a very vulnerable position. I experienced some stomach illness and could not figure out where it came from. I did not get any bed bugs but I met many people who did get bit. I used Lavendar oil on myself, my pillow and sheets. Did it help? I spoke with some people who insist oils such as Lavendar, Oregano and Pepperment help repel bed bugs. I prefer to use them rather than Pyrethrin. I saw several Albergues close unexpectedly and later heard of bed bug bites. Some give you sheet & pillow covers but not all. It seems hit or miss. One Albergue had us put our packs in plastic bags before entering. Good luck

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Stomach illness and Bed bugs, it all sounds too familiar. I tried to practuce very good hygiene but being in such close contact with so many people puts you in a very vulnerable position. I experienced some stomach illness and could not figure out where it came from. I did not get any bed bugs but I met many people who did get bit. I used Lavendar oil on myself, my pillow and sheets. Did it help? I spoke with some people who insist oils such as Lavendar, Oregano and Pepperment help repel bed bugs. I prefer to use them rather than Pyrethrin. I saw several Albergues close unexpectedly and later heard of bed bug bites. Some give you sheet & pillow covers but not all. It seems hit or miss. One Albergue had us put our packs in plastic bags before entering. Good luck

Maurice would you mind sharing with us how you put the lavender oil on yourself and your bedding? Are you using pure essential oils and how do you get this done? Thanks for the post.

Even top London hotels battle with bed bugs. So when I'm being serenaded by snorers a few feet away in a room full of peregrinos, I'll sleep happier in the knowledge that someone paying £500 a night for exclusivity at the Savoy might be eaten by a distant relative of the more humble Camino bug.

In Barcelona in August this year a couple of friends insisted on taking a siesta in our 3 star hotel whilst I went to visit the Sagrada Familia. They were bitten all over by bed bugs. I laughed heartily until they got a complete refund the next day. Actually what bothers me most is the thought of unwittingly carrying the extra weight of bugs whose only contribution to the pilgrimage is to literally suck the lifeblood out of me. I hope they like red wine.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maurice would you mind sharing with us how you put the lavender oil on yourself and your bedding? Are you using pure essential oils and how do you get this done? Thanks for the post.
Hey Irene, hope all is well. My wife gave me 'doTerra' Lavendar oil. It's a high quality oil to my understanding. Primarily it was to help me sleep and just in case I started to smell after a few weeks. After speaking to people about bedbugs, I heard that some essential oils may repel them. I would take several drops and rub my pillow and the perimeter of my bed. I would just rub my oily finger along the bed. From what I've heard it's a person's exposed areas that tend to get attacked so I made sure to get my pillow cover and the head of the bed well rubbed. I carried a .5 ounce btl (15ml) and still had some left after 6 weeks. You can add a few drops to an ounce or two of water to streach it out if need be. Did the Lavendar actually work to repel bedbugs? I didn't get any bites and I saw a fair amount of bites. I did not want to use toxic chemicals and Lavendar has positive side effects like helping you relax. I heard it said that oregano oil and perhaps peppermint or other essential oils may work to repel bedbugs. I slept in a liner and/or sleeping bag. Perhaps I was just lucky, however I will personally stay with the oils. I hope this helps and if anyone can add to the use of oils it would be great.

Thanks.
I also read that people hang their packs from the bed rather than leave them on the floor…. doesn't that also make them likely to be accessible to bugs.

People cover their packs with plastic bag at night…… ? but then wouldnt you have to discard that plastic each day as may have bugs on it .

Re boots left outside…….has anyone had their boots stolen ??

Annie

I'm laughing out loud. Can it be this bad. :)

My son just stole my expensive boots to go bushwalking.!! And they were at the back door!!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I walked the chemins de Puy and Arles most of the Gites and Chambres d'hôtes use a 'natural' spray called Clako which you can get there for about 12 euros. Many insist that you are 'protected' in this way before they let you stay,

Anybody have any idea how effective it is? Haven't seen it for sale outside France.

Ps I have never had bed bugs and walked Frances sept/oct. Maybe I'm just not that tasty!

I started in Irun on September 21st 2013 and walked the Camino Norte for three weeks, and finished in Gijon. We had amazing weather 25 to 30°C the first two weeks. Day 5 we did ran into bedbugs and I had allergic reaction and ended up going to the hospital for allergy shots. But I don't think the allergic reaction was just because of the bedbugs I had also been getting bit by mosquitoes and had some form of poison ivy or stinging nettles on my legs from walking through the woods with shorts on. I think the bedbugs just pushed me over the top allergy wise.

My trip to the hospital lasted 15 minutes and by the next day all the bumps were receding. We jumped ahead about 70 km from Gernika to Bilbao, and we spent the afternoon in Bilbao exterminating and cleaning our backpacks and everything in them, putting everything into plastic bags and washing every item of clothing that was with us. Hot wash hot dry for absolutely everything, if it couldn't't be washed it went in the garbage.

As we continue to walk we found essential oils and sprayed the beds and check for bedbugs in every place we stayed. We only found bedbugs once, but we arrive at 3 or 4 hostels that were contaminated and had been shut down for fumigation.

The worst part for me was the guilt that I had been carrying the bugs for many days and I had infected other people. We came to realize, after my friends bite started showing three days later, that we don't think we carried them at all. Mine just showed up right away due to the recent severe allergic reaction.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I started walking on August 14th in SJPP and bed bug bites appeared when we got to Frómista, it is difficult to say where you get bitten because the bites may take a week to appear after you were bitten. When mine started showing and I supposed that I had been bitten in the Albergue Municipal of San Martin del Camino, but it is just an especulation. During my 35 days walking I never saw a single bed bug but a lot of people bitten. The hospitalera at Villafranca del Bierzo helped me with the washing and this had a psychological effect. Uncomfortable yes but nothing I couldn't cope with.

Didn't come across any bedbugs in the pilgrim albergues, but was bitten by them in a hotel!

I was staying in a hotel in Florida last week. One morning the engineering staff knocked and asked if they could bring a bed bug sniffing dog into the room. Dog got no hits in our room (thanks be to God!) . I asked the dog if he would like a vacation in Spain to accompany me on the Camino , aka the Way of Bed Bug Paranoia, but alas the pup turned me down.

€60,-
A question, please, for those of you have sprayed your gear at home:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VCRX2S/?tag=casaivar02-20

Is this the proper concentration? And did you totally soak your pack and sleeping back?
Is there any smell? Any other tips for using this?
Thanks.

Is this the proper concentration? And did you totally soak your pack and sleeping back?
Is there any smell?
That is the stuff. I spray my pack and sleeping bag rather than soak them. The smell goes away when it dries. Don't handle wet items without gloves, and keep pets and fish tanks away. Don't breathe the spray either.

Now that the Camino is more crowded and bedbugs more ubiquitous worldwide, I believe that good Camino citizenship REQUIRES each of us to treat our gear (packs, stuff sacks, sleeping bags) with permethrin spray before leaving--and be sure to get the seams and cracks where they like to hide. Note that it lasts 42 days, just right for a Camino! This courtesy should eliminate most of the down-trail bedbug migration.

For personal protection, treat your sleeping bag liner, sheets, and sleeping clothes as well--I bring a treated pillowcase.

Also do the quick visual scan around the mattress for blood spots or bugs before you settle in--and report them to the hospitalero.

And keep your pack off the beds!! Pack picks up the bugs from floor cracks in the last hotel and they hitch a ride to the next bed. Packs need to stay on the ground at all times.

Here's an overly long video on how treated fabric works
And a Sawyer video on how to use their product--keep in mind it is a full insecticide not just bedbugs.

On return I also put everything in a plastic bag before entering my house, spray inside with permethrin and seal for 24 hours: then trash or wash or put away my gear. I don't want them in my house!

Bedbugs do not transmit disease so I think we need to treat this mere annoyance just like we do thirst-- You take a bottle of water so you don't get thirsty; treat your gear with permethrin so you don't get bedbug bites.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That is the stuff. I spray my pack and sleeping bag rather than soak them. The smell goes away when it dries. Don't handle wet items without gloves, and keep pets and fish tanks away. Don't breathe the spray either.
Great!. That's the last piece of information I needed. Thanks falcon!

Bed bugs are attracted to the CO2 in your breath and your body warmth. As nice as these natural oils sound, they have never be proven to be effective in a lab, sorry, SY
Just curious: What powerful lab are you waiting for to certify it??? Well, since these remedies (essential oils, lavender etc...) have been used since Egyptian times, I think am still going to give them a go..... ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I encountered them IN SPADES, but the Camino is still amazing and I still plan to walk it again. I met them at many many places on the Camino when I walked the first half if it in 2012 and found that most hospitaleros were not informed on the subject. However, a few were very helpful. I am pretty allergic to them and they seem to really love me (as do mosquitos), but luckily my bites never got infected. After the first encounter with them and thoroughly treating all of my belongings, I no longer brought my backpack into the rooms and I always kept my bedding in a trash bag while walking as well as treating it in a dryer or leaving it in the sun daily. I did not actually see the buggers until an albergue (I think it was in Sahagun) where at 4 in the afternoon when I laid down to take a nap, I started itching all over which meant I had been bitten all over (I had encountered them enough to know that soon after being bitten, intense itching would begin, enough to wake me from a dead sleep. The bites however do not become visible for another day or two). I realized there must be a lot of them and shone my flashlight on the rock wall next to the bunkbed. There were hundreds and hundreds of them (many generations, little ones, big ones)!!! Needless to say. I freaked out a bit. The hospitalero accused me of bringing them, but a.) I had not been bitten in a couple weeks, b.) Only my decontaminated sleeping bag and liner was in the room with me, and c.) I could never bring that many buggers with me. So, my Camino was largely defined by them. Viewing the experience through the mystical lenses of some on the Camino, I probably had something to learn from these vermin, acceptance perhaps? Well, unfortunately, I did not succeed in accepting them. For my next Camino, everything will be treated with permethrin and I will buy some of that chrysanthemum-based spray in SJPP. But, I will be going in Spring this time rather than autumn, so it may not be a problem.
To those who asked if bedbugs are a in hotels, the answer is yes! I have encountered them at hotels in England and in New York City and at a hostel in Prague.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.