• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Bugs - A Bait and Trap Solution

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi have been reading all about bed bugs in preparation for my April camino. I am not a fan of chemicals and have been desperately seeking out alternatives. As a last resort I realise treating my rucksack and possibly my sleeping bag with permethrin might be a necessity. I have also read about action to take after being bitten, including possibly putting all your clothing in a bag and leaving in the sunshine or cold and / or having to wash everything. To me this is almost like"shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted".
I am now thinking of getting several zip lock plastic bags and keeping all my clothing in these, having separate bags for bedding and dirty clothes that is possibly harbouring the little blighters and another for clean clothes. I have also seen a zip lock bag big enough to store my ruck sack in whilst in Albergues, which may also prevent hitch hikers. These bags also have the added benefit of being able to squash out most of the air, would be all air with a vacuum source (not feasible on camino I realise) thereby starving the adults of oxygen. I realise I shall have to be careful where/when I start packing/unpacking due to irritating noise but think it may help/work.
Any thoughts? Has anyone else tried this method or used these bags before.

Hi have been reading all about bed bugs in preparation for my April camino. I am not a fan of chemicals and have been desperately seeking out alternatives. As a last resort I realise treating my rucksack and possibly my sleeping bag with permethrin might be a necessity. I have also read about action to take after being bitten, including possibly putting all your clothing in a bag and leaving in the sunshine or cold and / or having to wash everything. To me this is almost like"shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted".
I am now thinking of getting several zip lock plastic bags and keeping all my clothing in these, having separate bags for bedding and dirty clothes that is possibly harbouring the little blighters and another for clean clothes. I have also seen a zip lock bag big enough to store my ruck sack in whilst in Albergues, which may also prevent hitch hikers. These bags also have the added benefit of being able to squash out most of the air, would be all air with a vacuum source (not feasible on camino I realise) thereby starving the adults of oxygen. I realise I shall have to be careful where/when I start packing/unpacking due to irritating noise but think it may help/work.
Any thoughts? Has anyone else tried this method or used these bags before.
Or am I just going overboard on the bed bug issue.

Or am I just going overboard on the bed bug issue.
Maybe, perhaps, possibly ...
The vast majority of pilgrims do not get bitten. Some do. Permethrin works. Following all the sound advice to be found on this forum on checking for signs of bugs before bedding down will help. A bin liner will provide some protection for your pack though resident bugs are more interested in feeding than hitching a ride. And remember, you are as likely to pick up bugs in an airport transit hotel or a 3 star Hostal as you are in an Albergue.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The vast majority of pilgrims do not get bitten. Some do. Permethrin works. Following all the sound advice to be found on this forum on checking for signs of bugs before bedding down will help. A bin liner will provide some protection for your pack though resident bugs are more interested in feeding than hitching a ride. And remember, you are as likely to pick up bugs in an airport transit hotel or a 3 star Hostal as you are in an Albergue.

... or on the bus when your bag is in the hold, or on the airplane, or at the cafe when you put your pack down by a person's pack who is infested.
::laughing:: it can make you crazy if you worry too much about it.
Just learn to spot the signs of bedbugs and if you're not chemically sensitive, spray the OUTSIDE of your sleeping bag and your pack with permethrin, and you should be fine.

Here is a blog I wrote about how to spot the sign and what I do...
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/06/dont-let-bedbugs-bite.html

So far, I've been bitten maybe 3 times - 3 bites, not infested, and that was before I knew what bedbugs were on my first Camino, then again in a hotel in Madrid where I think one stray bug got me.

My brother, who lives in Santa Maria, California, on the other hand, lives in a government owned apartment that is absolutely infested.
I'd worry more about visiting him...

@fiona99 Yes, I think you do. The most important thing is to avoid bringing them home, but when on the Camino I never worry too much about them. I know from experience that I barely have any reaction to their bites, that might help my inner calm.
When I come home I put my backpack straight into the bath tub and clean, wash and freeze everything according to what different materials can stand. Bed bugs die when frozen (below -18C for several days) or heated above 50C, so that takes care of most things. Buen Camino sin chinches, SY

Thank you for your advice.....after posting I thought I was definately going overboard....and would have pilgrims past and present falling about laughing..........but prevention is better than cure so will be taking my zip lock bags....my thinking being if I can prevent them hitching a ride to the next allergues...or even worse to my home as a unwanted souvenir.....and their next meal....that can only be a good thing......maybe that is why the pilgrims used to burn their clothes
@fiona99 Yes, I think you do. The most important thing is to avoid bringing them home, but when on the Camino I never worry too much about them. I know from experience that I barely have any reaction to their bites, that might help my inner calm.
When I come home I put my backpack straight into the bath tub and clean, wash and freeze everything according to what different materials can stand. Bed bugs die when frozen (below -18C for several days) or heated above 50C, so that takes care of most things. Buen Camino sin chinches, SY
Thanks guys...a prompt response as always.....after I posted I thought I was over reacting.....and prob giving pilgrims past and present a good laugh...i have images of you all rolling around on the floor.....but I still think I might use my sealed bag system....peace of mind....reduce risk of spreading them around....taking them home.....providing them with free bed and board in my pack...yes...definitely becoming obsessional......too much time to think......just need to get on with it I guess...thanks x

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
....too clever by half for me - my plan had just been to befriend a nice clean, hyper-hygienic Yankee and then they would leave this smelly old Limey alone....

I have never been bitten, knock wood, but I then I spare my shower time and smell like a homeless person after the first week; it's the best deterrent I've found.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
He he knowing my luck the only thing I would hit would be my thumb....!!!! How much do you charge to hire out your hand and hammer.......

No charge Fiona99,
In the spirit of the Camino you are welcome to print the photo and take it with you for free:D

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.