• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed bugs advices please!

caminodeanna

Time of past OR future Camino
CF - León 2017

Planning for León - Santiago May 2018
Hi!

Last year I got quite sick of bites from bedbugs during the camino. It took quite a long time until I was healed, a horror.

I know there are lots of threads about the theme and I also know that if there are pilgrims there can be bedbugs and all that. I just need to do all I possibly can to avoid them!

I read about different advices and sprays to buy but I am now confused. I am looking for the best advice as I am going in June.

- Which spray? Name?
- What kind of sleeping bag preparations? I got a normal summer slepping bag and a liner. What kind of sleeping bag doesn't matter, is that true?
- Other advices?

Cheers,
Anna

Update:
6 HOLISTIC ways to fight these animals:
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/782695

Matress cover without chemicals (unfortunately in Swedish but could be useful to check out the pic)
https://www.skadedjursbekampning.nu...MI3YWzo-XN2gIVWy0ZCh1-zQexEAQYASABEgLZ2vD_BwE

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Anna.

Check out the excellent blogpost by Annie which can accessed here which shows the signs to look out for.

I, like you, react badly to insect bites and stings, so I am bringing a fitted bed bug undersheet with me. This has been treated with Permetherin, and is designed to be put directly on the mattress, and then your sleeping bag/liner on top of the sheet.

As I am not keen on being in direct contact with insecticides, I will also be using tea tree/lavender oil on areas that I will come into contact with.

The sheet is small and light when packed, see picture below, it is only the length of my hand.

IMG_20180322_193623.jpg

Hope this helps

James (not the saint!!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why not just eliminate the middleman? You don't really need a sleeping bag and liner in June.
Other than that, just surf this forum. You will find kilometers of threads and replies concerning bedbugs and Entomophobia. When I joined a few months ago I could not believe how much it is discussed.

Hi Anna.

Check out the excellent blogpost by Annie which can accessed here which shows the signs to look out for.

I, like you, react badly to insect bites and stings, so I am bringing a fitted bed bug undersheet with me. This has been treated with Permetherin, and is designed to be put directly on the mattress, and then your sleeping bag/liner on top of the sheet.

As I am not keen on being in direct contact with insecticides, I will also be using tea tree/lavender oil on areas that I will come into contact with.

The sheet is small and light when packed, see picture below, it is only the length of my hand.

View attachment 40428

Hope this helps

James (not the saint!!)
Where did you get this?

Where did you get this?
An excellent idea, the thought that every night as "Now I Lay my Head Down to Sleep" you lay down on insecticide for a month and more is chilling. Bed bugs, like mosquitoes will bite anyone but also like mosquitoes some people naturally attract them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi erith
Just picked it up in my local camping/hiking/outdoors store. I am sure if you google it, something similar will be for sale on amazon or ebay.

RJM, I am not sure its entomophobia, as a beekeeper, I am not afraid of insects, however, I do react badly to bites and stings. It may seem like overkill to you, but I have no desire to have hot, tense, swollen limbs with big red weals, and reduced range of movement for a number of weeks, after being bitten/stung.

Scruffy I agree, but unfortunately, they find me irresistible !!

J

@caminodeanna The members of this forum are lovely, and with their profound knowledge and experience wiling, even desperate, to help you. But, if your physical reaction to bed-bug or other insect bites is severe you should be talking to your GP / Medical Practitioner / Pharmacist so that you can carry with you the appropriate medication to counteract your reaction.

Following the excellent advice given here will reduce your chances of being bitten, but it won't eliminate the risk. Travel prepared, take sensible precautions and let your camino unfold.

Buen camino sin chinches

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Why not just eliminate the middleman? You don't really need a sleeping bag and liner in June.
Other than that, just surf this forum. You will find kilometers of threads and replies concerning bedbugs and Entomophobia. When I joined a few months ago I could not believe how much it is discussed.

You need SOMETHING to sleep on. Please don't sleep directly on the mattress that others will be sleeping on. And it's probably not realistic to make light of it if you've never been bitten. I've seen people with bites the size of a half dollar, oozing and inflamed. Not "nothing."

I got bit up a couple of times on the camino, even though I had a silk liner in my sleeping bag each night. I just went to the ferreteria and got cinchos spray and sprayed my pack and papers, etc..and then washed all my stuff in hot water and then threw it all in the dryer on hot heat. I took some antihistamine and I was all better. I have heard that it's our breath that attracts these little bitters, and definitely some people's are more appealing than others.

Hi erith
Just picked it up in my local camping/hiking/outdoors store. I am sure if you google it, something similar will be for sale on amazon or ebay.

RJM, I am not sure its entomophobia, as a beekeeper, I am not afraid of insects, however, I do react badly to bites and stings. It may seem like overkill to you, but I have no desire to have hot, tense, swollen limbs with big red weals, and reduced range of movement for a number of weeks, after being bitten/stung.

Scruffy I agree, but unfortunately, they find me irresistible !!

J
thanks, I got one yesterday from Amazon, it should be delivered by 3 pm today.

Where did you get this?

Hi Anna.

View attachment 40428

Hope this helps

James (not the saint!!)

Thank you so much James! I will buy a bed bug undersheet. I have read the post by Anne and it is very helpful.

Now I feel like an expert in comparision to last year in October.

One thing, I heard most people react worse the FIRST time in life bitten, do you know anything about this? (As bad as it was for me I am terrified by the thought of going through the same again.)

Thanks again
Anna

You need SOMETHING to sleep on. Please don't sleep directly on the mattress that others will be sleeping on. And it's probably not realistic to make light of it if you've never been bitten. I've seen people with bites the size of a half dollar, oozing and inflamed. Not "nothing."

I have been bitten - badly. I was sick for some four weeks. The bites were still were after six weeks but without itching or hurting. I didn't sleep directly on the matress, I used cotton liner and sleeping bag.

Lay down and have a rest for 15 minutes.
Bedbugs creep out when they feel your heat. So lay down, wait a while and then check the bed.
If I see so much as a hint of bedbugs I'll pack up and sleep on the kitchen floor!
(It's quieter there anyway....)

Other than that I don't use any creams, sprays or special fabrics.

Bedbugs creep out when they feel your heat. So lay down, wait a while and then check the bed.
If I see so much as a hint of bedbugs I'll pack up and sleep on the kitchen floor!

Bedbugs raid the kitchen for midnight snacks and margaritas! Beware!;)

I think a pilgrim is better off if they inspect the albergue as a whole, paying close and strict attention to the sleeping area. Bedbugs leave signs of their presence. Also the types of mattresses on the bunks make a difference. I did my best, and was able to 90% of the time to stay in albergues with mattresses that are inside of rubber or vinyl. One thing I did was, if at all possible, avoided albergues with traditional/regular type mattresses. That is ones with cloth coverings, as you would find in a home. Look at the bunks themselves. Do they look clean, the posts and such. Inspect baseboards, floors. If any of those things look dodgy, leave and find another albergue.
Also look at the fellow pilgrims around you. I will say it bluntly, some fellow pilgrims are rude slobs. They literally dump all their equipment and pack contents all over the floor around the bunks. They put their packs and bicycle panniers on the bunks themselves and the chairs. Some can be very egocentric. Who knows where those packs have been and if they have hitchhikers inside. I simply avoid being around pilgrims like that, and I do not want any negative confrontations.
The best way I can say it is that if the facility is not somewhere you would not sleep in while not on the Camino, then why would you sleep in it while on.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The neatness of an albergue is really no indication for bed bugs. The nicest looking albergue can host a pilgrim who brings bedbugs with him. Next night you'll get them. Don't expect for even the nicest looking alburgue that they check everywhere/everything each day.

I don't think it's very practical having to check out the alburgue before you check in; Often you don't see anything of the alburgue other than a hospitalero sitting at a desk by the door. Sure, you could ask to have a peep under the mattresses before you check in but chances are high that you're tired and just glad to have a bed. Picking/choosing the type of mattress is not really an option in my opinion, you get what you get.

Don't be fooled on how the alburgue looks; Check!

The neatness of an albergue is really no indication for bed bugs. The nicest looking albergue can host a pilgrim who brings bedbugs with him. Next night you'll get them. Don't expect for even the nicest looking alburgue that they check everywhere/everything each day.

I don't think it's very practical having to check out the alburgue before you check in; Often you don't see anything of the alburgue other than a hospitalero sitting at a desk by the door. Sure, you could ask to have a peep under the mattresses before you check in but chances are high that you're tired and just glad to have a bed. Picking/choosing the type of mattress is not really an option in my opinion, you get what you get.

Don't be fooled on how the alburgue looks; Check!
Of course you can inspect an albergue after you check into it and simply leave if it is not up to common sense hygiene standards. One would simply have to eat the cost of staying there and find another place. To me a 5-12 euro loss is worth not being bitten by bedbugs. I only had to do it twice I think and when I did a couple of other pilgrims egressed with me.
All I can say is that I have walked the Camino seven times. I do not know the exact number, but that is over 200 nights in albergues and never saw, or was bitten by a bedbug and never met any pilgrims that were. I believe I will stand by my methods of albergue choosing.

All I can say is that I have walked the Camino seven times. I do not know the exact number, but that is over 200 nights in albergues and never saw, or was bitten by a bedbug and never met any pilgrims that were.
That is amazing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That is amazing.
"amazing"?
No, not really. At least I don't think so. That would be like me saying I walked over 200 days on Caminos and was never attacked by a wild boar. Nothing amazing about it. I was just never attacked. Also, I give potential wild boar attacks about as much thought as lightning strikes and bedbug bites on the Camino.

Of course you can inspect an albergue after you check into it and simply leave if it is not up to common sense hygiene standards. One would simply have to eat the cost of staying there and find another place. To me a 5-12 euro loss is worth not being bitten by bedbugs. I only had to do it twice I think and when I did a couple of other pilgrims egressed with me.
All I can say is that I have walked the Camino seven times. I do not know the exact number, but that is over 200 nights in albergues and never saw, or was bitten by a bedbug and never met any pilgrims that were. I believe I will stand by my methods of albergue choosing.

If you find bedbugs in an albergue, you do not have to eat the cost. You ask for your money back and they give it back, especially if you can show them the bedbugs. This is happened to me several times and I have no problems leading and asking for my money back

If you find bedbugs in an albergue, you do not have to eat the cost. You ask for your money back and they give it back, especially if you can show them the bedbugs. This is happened to me several times and I have no problems leading and asking for my money back
I was referring more to the hygienic standards of the albergue, not an actual bedbug sighting. The scenario I am referring to would be checking in and paying for the albergue and after going inside and getting an overall view of it, then deciding I do not want to stay there. More an opinion thing, than anything. Basically I changed my mind.
I have never seen a bedbug on the Camino, so I have never found myself in the situation of asking my money back due to that.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was referring more to the hygienic standards of the albergue, not an actual bedbug sighting. The scenario I am referring to would be checking in and paying for the albergue and after going inside and getting an overall view of it, then deciding I do not want to stay there. More an opinion thing, than anything. Basically I changed my mind.
I have never seen a bedbug on the Camino, so I have never found myself in the situation of asking my money back due to that.

I think if you go into a place and find it too dirty, or not up to your standards, they'd give you your money back. But again, I'd ask what exactly a pilgrim expects for $8 per night. Of all the years I've been walking, there are only three albergues where I'd refuse to stay again.

I already know a lot after doin lots of research after being bitten last year in October. I
I think a pilgrim is better off if they inspect the albergue as a whole, paying close and strict attention to the sleeping area. Bedbugs leave signs of their presence. Also the types of mattresses on the bunks make a difference. I did my best, and was able to 90% of the time to stay in albergues with mattresses that are inside of rubber or vinyl. One thing I did was, if at all possible, avoided albergues with traditional/regular type mattresses. That is ones with cloth coverings, as you would find in a home. Look at the bunks themselves. Do they look clean, the posts and such. Inspect baseboards, floors. If any of those things look dodgy, leave and find another albergue.
Also look at the fellow pilgrims around you. I will say it bluntly, some fellow pilgrims are rude slobs. They literally dump all their equipment and pack contents all over the floor around the bunks. They put their packs and bicycle panniers on the bunks themselves and the chairs. Some can be very egocentric. Who knows where those packs have been and if they have hitchhikers inside. I simply avoid being around pilgrims like that, and I do not want any negative confrontations.
The best way I can say it is that if the facility is not somewhere you would not sleep in while not on the Camino, then why would you sleep in it while on.

Great points! I remember sleeping on the matresses with a rubber inside most nights, felt really good. I remember one albergue I stayed at didn't have this one. In this albergue without this type of rubber I believe I got bitten. I remember a fellow camino friend sleeping at the same place, next time I saw her she got bad rashes. However, at that stage I was luckily unknowing about that I got bitten, my rashes came later at home.

People say you can't know where they are but I reckon more or less some places can give indications. I am now aware of I can look for signs, this will help me for my next camino. I wish everyone would be more considerate about their stuff, and look for signs upon arrival as well, to help each other. Spread it out, not avoid talk about it. This to put pressure so the albergues in turn put more effort in eliminating those little chingos and work preventive.

@caminodeanna The members of this forum are lovely, and with their profound knowledge and experience wiling, even desperate, to help you. But, if your physical reaction to bed-bug or other insect bites is severe you should be talking to your GP / Medical Practitioner / Pharmacist so that you can carry with you the appropriate medication to counteract your reaction.

Following the excellent advice given here will reduce your chances of being bitten, but it won't eliminate the risk. Travel prepared, take sensible precautions and let your camino unfold.

Buen camino sin chinches
Hi Tincatinker, I totally agree with you. Talking to a medical pro is the best route to go.

:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I give potential wild boar attacks about as much thought as lightning strikes and bedbug bites on the Camino.
It is your choice as to where you want to put your thoughts. You seem to put some effort into the forum on the subject of bedbugs.

Frankly, the comparison is ridiculous, and a disservice to people seeking accurate information and advice.

Last edited:
I think if you go into a place and find it too dirty, or not up to your standards, they'd give you your money back. But again, I'd ask what exactly a pilgrim expects for $8 per night. Of all the years I've been walking, there are only three albergues where I'd refuse to stay again.
Honestly they can keep the money and I never asked for it back.
I suppose for $8 I definitely do not want stained cloth covered mattresses, which I have seen before and I do not expect dirty floors and kitchens or beds.

Hi Tincatinker, I totally agree with you. Talking to a medical pro is the best route to go.

:)

I think many people suffer like me if they get bitten. I don't think the only solution is to carry medicals (hydrocortison is nonprescription and can be find along the way if needed). I think medicals not is the way to go since the bites are harmless - after getting the bites the only way is to live with it and suffer for some weeks. Better therefore to prevent it to happen, that's why it's good to talk about the problem. It can be an extremely costly and terrible experience for people who bring it to their houses back home :S

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Honestly they can keep the money and I never asked for it back.
I suppose for $8 I definitely do not want stained cloth covered mattresses, which I have seen before and I do not expect dirty floors and kitchens or beds.

Then perhaps you should book a private room, or pick up a broom and a mop and clean the floors, or wash some dishes and countertops?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh wow - only if you want to be totally put off going to bed at all! A UV light will show up evvvvery nasty little stain and mark on the bed and bedding - I think I'd rather not know! But it's actually relatively easy to spot bedbug droppings and eggs - they're not microscopic, and show up quite well against pale surfaces. I've used @Anniesantiago 's very helpful guidance on looking for bedbug signs (http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.co.nz/2011/06/dont-let-bedbugs-bite.html) as mentioned above by @james mcev and checked every bed carefully on arrival wherever I was staying. It's not 100% foolproof, there could always be a stray bug that wanders out of someone's bag and onto your bed in the night, but you can certainly see if there is an infestation.

As I am new to the forum, I have not had much time to read other post on the "bedbug" topic but it is a concern of mine. I purchased the bedbug undersheet mentioned above and was wondering if anyone who has used it can comment on its effectiveness.
Also, I will be hiking in Sep/Oct and plan to take a sleeping bag as I run cold. Do I need a sheet/sleeping sack in addition to my bag to fight off the little buggers?
Thanks!

I had an extreme reaction to bed bug bites last year. I was bitten it seemed from head to toe the second night on the camino and had to eventually see a doctor and had to cut our trip short as a result. If I knew then what I know now I would have taken more precautions. I’m still being treated 8 months later. I want to return this summer to walk the sections we skipped. I have searched for that bed bug sheet but it seems to be out of stock through Amazon and through the maker itself. Anyone know a source in the US?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
By the way, my husband had a few bites but nothing like me. The night I got all the bites, he was on the top bunk. Perhaps the bugs were satisfied with me and didn’t need to go further. If I go this summer, I plan to bring a large black garbage bag and keep my backpack in it when in the room.

Then perhaps you should book a private room, or pick up a broom and a mop and clean the floors, or wash some dishes and countertops?
Just a tad bit snarky and offensive, aren't you Annie? A cyber micro-aggression perhaps? LOL.
Yes, have done private rooms, shared bathroom hostels, slept outside etc. The gambit of accommodations on the Camino. Nonetheless I strive not to lie down at night on bio-hazards, or prepare food in a kitchen area with possible bacteria hazards. I will pass on that defintely, thank you very much. ;)
and just for the record, i am no stranger to sleeping in actual austere conditions, and sharing my sleeping area in the field with things that crawl and bite and I have mopped and swept my share of floors, cleaned toilets, sinks, made bunks, washed dishes and utensils etc, both in field conditions and in garrison.
cheers

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had an extreme reaction to bed bug bites last year. I was bitten it seemed from head to toe the second night on the camino and had to eventually see a doctor and had to cut our trip short as a result. If I knew then what I know now I would have taken more precautions. I’m still being treated 8 months later. I want to return this summer to walk the sections we skipped. I have searched for that bed bug sheet but it seems to be out of stock through Amazon and through the maker itself. Anyone know a source in the US?

Sorry to hear about your bad experience @Anne DR As someone who also has a very severe reactions to bites and stings which then makes my life a misery for weeks afterwards (I can still see the scars from chigger bites I got in Texas 13 months ago).

On the camino I took precautions as laid out by Anniesantiago's blog post - the information in the article is invaluable. I checked the mattress and surroundings on arrival regardless of whether it was an albergue/private room/casa rural/5* hotel... I used a permethrin treated bed bug sheet and pillow case. Mostly I slept in a silk sleeping bag liner and nearly always applied insect repellant to my exposed parts (head, neck, hands) and applied a stronger repellant to the outside of my sleeping clothes. Made sure to wash my head, neck and hands next day to remove any remnants of repellant. The clothes I had been wearing or anything that i'd washed and dried were put into dry sacks and into my treated backpack. Periodically I would retreat my boots and sandals, inside and outside of my pack and sleeping bag (though I only used my sleeping bag twice during September/October). Every now and again, when the opportunity arose my friend and I would wash all our clothes and put them through a hot tumble drier. Yes, I think the black plastic bag is a good idea.

When I arrived home I changed out of all my travelling clothes before going into the house and most of my gear was put into the freezer for a couple of weeks.

This might all seem a bit extreme to most people but i know that if I get bed bugged I would probably end up in hospital and then just have to head home. I'll be taking the same precautions this year when I walk the Via de la Plata. In fact these days wherever I stay when i'm travelling or on holiday I always always check the mattress and surrounds (my husband thinks i'm totally paranoid!).

Hope you manage a great, bed bug free camino.

I really feel with you. I don't like the idea with chemicals near the skin but I guess that's the way to go. Fitted liner and a sleeping bag. I am looking for them to buy in online shops but seems out of stock here too. Will continue to look and hopefully this is my rescue.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As I am new to the forum, I have not had much time to read other post on the "bedbug" topic but it is a concern of mine. I purchased the bedbug undersheet mentioned above and was wondering if anyone who has used it can comment on its effectiveness.
Also, I will be hiking in Sep/Oct and plan to take a sleeping bag as I run cold. Do I need a sheet/sleeping sack in addition to my bag to fight off the little buggers?
Thanks!

Hi Jennifer,

I haven't used one but it seems like the best way to go (along with all the other advices; checking mattress and so on ofcourse). I will purchase one for my upcoming camino trip :) so scared to get bitten again. :(

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.