• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Bugs - Any Problem Back Home?

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
According to many posts on this forum, bed bugs were a real problem in 2006. Having suffered over 80 bites on another trip that itched maddeningy for 2 weeks, I am not anxious to repeat that experience on my CF in May!

If bedbugs are spread by pilgrims, this implies that human beings can carry eggs (or maybe small bugs) from place to place - even (shudder) back home. Has anyone experienced that nightmare?

And can anyone point us to an authoritative link on the natural history of bed bugs so we can see how these little critters live, breed and spread?

Regards

Bob M

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Are bedbugs dormant in winter? Do they die off? We did not have a single bite all the way from SJPP in December/January this year and stayed in plenty of places that could easily have had them.
Magnara

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thx for excellent info re bedbugs

Much obliged to Peter Robins for the Wikipedia link. Another one I later found that is almost as good is:
http://www.medscape.com/files/emedicine/topic600.htm

The key takeaways for me are:
1. Taking bedbugs home is definitely possible.
2. Sleeping nude is not a good idea (bedbugs feed on exposed skin)! Maybe pilgrims who reported no problems also slept well-clad.
3. Hatchlings need to feed several times before reaching adulthood, so maybe winter (fewer pilgrims) reduces infestations.
4. Severe infestations create a distinctive, sickly-sweet smell.

Regards
Bob Muirhead

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.