A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Bed Bugs at Home

BoyRoger

BoyRoger IOW England
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014) Apr-May
Camino Frances 2016 End March to May
Camino Ingles 2018 April.
I completed my Camino at the beginning of May this year , I didn't sufer any bed bug bites on my camino and took all the precautions when I arrived home but today my wife has a line of bites on her ankle. We have thoroughly examined our bed for bugs or signs of bugs but found nothing. What I'm wondering is how long after arriving home would any bugs I'd transported home start to bite? I would be grateful for any advice please.

basquelady

Camino(s) past & future
CF (2013), CF Pamplona to V del Bierzo (2014), Baztanés, then CF (2016), CF Sahagun to SDC (2017)
I completed my Camino at the beginning of May this year , I didn't sufer any bed bug bites on my camino and took all the precautions when I arrived home but today my wife has a line of bites on her ankle. We have thoroughly examined our bed for bugs or signs of bugs but found nothing. What I'm wondering is how long after arriving home would any bugs I'd transported home start to bite? I would be grateful for any advice please.
Sure they're not just midge-type bites? I've had a lot of these in the last week or so (in Lancaster, UK). I'd been doing a lot of gardening in the wonderful dry weather. VERY itchy!

C clearly

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
I believe that bed bugs can survive quite long (months) without food, depending on circumstances. However, I'd guess it is very unlikely that your wife's bites are from a bedbug brought home in May. Fleas would be my first guess. Fleas can live in grass lawns outside, so it is possible even if you don't have pets.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Yes, dog fleas are not fussy and will enjoy humans too. They also, same as bed-bugs, like breakfast dinner and tea. (3 bites in a row) If you see one a damp bar of soap is a good flea trap.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Inglés 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
Before panicking (understandable!) you really need to know what kind of bug bit your wife. http://bedbugger.com has a lot of good information regarding this - Be prepared to spend hours reading/navigating that website as it is a bit disorganized, but the information on it is usually sound.

Also, bed bugs can enter your home via a lot of ways, not only the camino ...

Buen Camino, SY

BoyRoger

BoyRoger IOW England
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014) Apr-May
Camino Frances 2016 End March to May
Camino Ingles 2018 April.
Thanks everybody, I guess we have to give it time to see it there are anymore bites, none today :)

Annie Little

Camino(s) past & future
Frances Sept-Oct 2016
Oh dear the bed bug paranoia ... I totally understand .... got home two weeks ago and have spent two weeks washing , rewashing after leaving everything in black plastic in sun for five days .... live in unit so neighbours think I am mad :D:(..... I also threw out things that I probably did not need to .....

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 132 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 203 23.9%