• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Bugs at Home

BoyRoger

BoyRoger IOW England
Time of past OR future Camino
I completed my Camino at the beginning of May this year , I didn't sufer any bed bug bites on my camino and took all the precautions when I arrived home but today my wife has a line of bites on her ankle. We have thoroughly examined our bed for bugs or signs of bugs but found nothing. What I'm wondering is how long after arriving home would any bugs I'd transported home start to bite? I would be grateful for any advice please.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I completed my Camino at the beginning of May this year , I didn't sufer any bed bug bites on my camino and took all the precautions when I arrived home but today my wife has a line of bites on her ankle. We have thoroughly examined our bed for bugs or signs of bugs but found nothing. What I'm wondering is how long after arriving home would any bugs I'd transported home start to bite? I would be grateful for any advice please.
Sure they're not just midge-type bites? I've had a lot of these in the last week or so (in Lancaster, UK). I'd been doing a lot of gardening in the wonderful dry weather. VERY itchy!

I believe that bed bugs can survive quite long (months) without food, depending on circumstances. However, I'd guess it is very unlikely that your wife's bites are from a bedbug brought home in May. Fleas would be my first guess. Fleas can live in grass lawns outside, so it is possible even if you don't have pets.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, dog fleas are not fussy and will enjoy humans too. They also, same as bed-bugs, like breakfast dinner and tea. (3 bites in a row) If you see one a damp bar of soap is a good flea trap.

Before panicking (understandable!) you really need to know what kind of bug bit your wife. http://bedbugger.com has a lot of good information regarding this - Be prepared to spend hours reading/navigating that website as it is a bit disorganized, but the information on it is usually sound.

Also, bed bugs can enter your home via a lot of ways, not only the camino ...

Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh dear the bed bug paranoia ... I totally understand .... got home two weeks ago and have spent two weeks washing , rewashing after leaving everything in black plastic in sun for five days .... live in unit so neighbours think I am mad :D:(..... I also threw out things that I probably did not need to .....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.