• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Bugs Bercianos del Real Camino at Santa Clara Albergue

Caminata

Time of past OR future Camino
11 Camino's since 2012. Various ones repeated. Fra
We stayed the night of 2nd October at Santa Clara Albergue in a private room.
We woke in the early hours of 3rd October to find 3 big bed bugs. I had numerous bites. We called the owners who both came straight away. We turned the bed upside down to find another 2 bed bugs.
The wife was apologetic but the husband seemed almost annoyed at us.
We have been staying in private rooms room all along the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We woke in the early hours of 3rd October to find 3 big bed bugs. I had numerous bites. We called the owners who both came straight away. We turned the bed upside down to find another 2 bed bugs.
We stayed in a private room there on 11th May and I also got bitten and I suspected it was Santa Clara but could not be certain. Reflecting on this a few days later, I recalled seeing a small blood spot on the sheets. The interesting thing was I slept in a double bed with my husband and only I was bitten.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We stayed in a private room there on 11th May and I also got bitten and I suspected it was Santa Clara but could not be certain. Reflecting on this a few days later, I recalled seeing a small blood spot on the sheets. The interesting thing was I slept in a double bed with my husband and only I was bitten.
Hi.... we also have a double bed and the 3 bugs were on my side when I turned the light on after 2 hours of itching. Only I got bitten.

Maybe as C Clearly explained.... my wife may have been bitten but is not alergic. This makes sense, as we have walked 11 Caminos and I have had bed bugs 3 times and she hasnt ( but maybe she has been bitten as suggested above and just hasnt known ?)

Hi.... we also have a double bed and the 3 bugs were on my side when I turned the light on after 2 hours of itching. Only I got bitten.
Just don't scratch the bite spots with your fingernails, only with finger pads. All the rest re advice is already available on the forum.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe as C Clearly explained.... my wife may have been bitten but is not alergic. This makes sense, as we have walked 11 Caminos and I have had bed bugs 3 times and she hasnt ( but maybe she has been bitten as suggested above and just hasnt known ?)
Yep, if there is a mosquito in the room of 50 I'll get biten. Same with bedbugs :D

I have never stayed at this albergue. But if I may make a recommendation I have stayed at the Albergue parroquil Casa Rectoral. It is a donativo with a wonderful communal dinner/breakfast. There is a great meditation service and the Hospitaleros are the best. If I had to pick one of the best albergues that capture the spirit of the Camino this would be at the top of anyone's list.

Yet another reminder that people start checking their beds before they lie down on them rather than naming specific places which could be clear of bugs in a day or two if they sort the problem out! Staying in private accommodation does *not* protect against bugs, just as staying in albergues doesn't guarantee you get bitten. Check your beds, don't put anything including yourself on the bed until you have checked, talk to the hospitaler@s if you find bugs, and treat your kit if you have been bitten.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Just out of curiousity, what blood type are each of you?

Just out of curiousity, what blood type are each of you?

Interesting question Annie. I would be interested in knowing the results of any research you have done. Fact is I have found bed bugs on my body various times in my six Camino’s Francis and Norte. Not once have I had a reaction or welt. I’m A- by the way.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Interesting question Annie. I would be interested in knowing the results of any research you have done. Fact is I have found bed bugs on my body various times in my six Camino’s Francis and Norte. Not once have I had a reaction or welt. I’m A- by the way.

I'm 0+ and it seems mosquitos consider me as good as surf and turf!
So far only 1 bedbug bite on my first Camino - but I take a lot of precautions, and it could just be luck.

This is very typical. Many people (perhaps up to 80%, by one estimate I've seen) are not allergic to the bed bug bite and they never react. So they think they have not been bitten.
If I had not been able to see the bites on my leg I may not have known that I had been bitten, as I didn't have a reaction, though I do react badly to mosquito bites.

You should go back and complain !!! Course that IS SEXUAL DISCRIMINATION !!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A- and I voted

Please both put all of your clothes in a hot dryer, and your packs in plastic as they, or their eggs, will travel with you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I stayed at Santa Clara mid September. She was lovely; he horrible, especially when we asked for blankets which we never got. No bedbugs then but in Eirexe at the albergue right on the main road, my friend got wicked bites needing cortisone and antibiotics! We tried to email them but interestingly enough, seems they don’t have even a website!
NancyLee

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.