• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Bed Bugs in Albergue!! 22.8.19

Lucy Wales

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances August 2019
Could not sleep
Bitten all over
Found live bed bug
Took photo, captured bug in container & took video footage of it on bed
Staff at albergue won’t wake up to help me
Need to boil my belongings
Took bed bug precautions pre & during my trip
Inspected bed yesterday upon arrival
Camino Frances Hostel
Santibanez de Valdeiglesias
They didn’t seem bothered- a concern
They gladly let me hot wash and hot dry my clothes

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Could not sleep
Bitten all over
Found live bed bug
Took photo, captured bug in container & took video footage of it on bed
Staff at albergue won’t wake up to help me
Need to boil my belongings
Took bed bug precautions pre & during my trip
Inspected bed yesterday upon arrival
Camino Frances Hostel
Santibanez de Valdeiglesias
I was told that this is part of the way and not their problem...😕

In their defense, they do not raise bed bugs there. Some pilgrim brought them. Not in their defense, they should take such complaints seriously. Their offer of washing and drying is about all they can do for your infestation, but I hope that they did some pest control after you left.

I found the food and fellowship (they did a queimada the night I was there) very good there, but it would not have been enough to balance bed bugs! Try an actual insect repellent with DEET in it. It will repel bed bugs so they go bite someone else...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was told that this is part of the way and not their problem...😕
First half is true. Too many people in a place like this increase the possibility of such problems. Second half is not. In my oppinion they have to take care of de-buging the place-all of it. Since they sleep people in it they have responcibilities.In any case no need for panic, it is annoying situation but not dangerous

Permethrin on your gear keeps them from easily hitchhiking and moving down-Camino. DEET keeps them from biting skin. Sadly the chinches have become ubiquitous including premium hotel and even airlines.
The albergues should do insecticide spraying after your room is empty.
Sorry for all your discomfort and misery--the bites can be very annoying.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wouldn't assume that they won't be taking measures, just because they didn't get as excited or concerned as you expected. For you it was a new and unpleasant experience. For them it was a regular event but one they will (hopefully) deal with. At that time, using the hot drier was the key thing to do.

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I had a long talk with a popular albergue owner a few years ago about this.
His place had bedbugs.
He took every bed outside, tossed the mattresses, had a professional spray the rooms, sprayed the metal bedframes, TORCHED them with a blowtorch, brought in brand new mattresses, put everything back together and took a deep breath.

One week later, two pilgrims brought in bedbugs AGAIN!!!

Just because you got bit doesn't mean they don't care.
It's very possible the person who slept there the night before you brought in the bugs.
And for the record, I have a friend who manages high end hotels in the USA and bedbugs are a constant problem.

So...

You say you took precautions.
I'm curious what precautions you took?

Last edited:
Here, by the way, is a registry you can use to find out if the hotel you are going to stay in has been reported:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here, by the way, is a registry you can use to find out if the hotel you are going to stay in has been reported:
Well, I'm afraid nearly every hotel/albergue might haven been reported by now at least ones. :oops:
It is really not about having bedbugs ones, but about how a hotel handels it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wouldn't assume that they won't be taking measures, just because they didn't get as excited or concerned as you expected. For you it was a new and unpleasant experience. For them it was a regular event but one they will (hopefully) deal with. At that time, using the hot drier was the key thing to do.

CAMINO FRANCES HOSTEL in SANTIBANEZ DE VALDEIGLESIA DID NOT CARE! I insisted on the washing and drying, not them. Their washer and dryer were only 40degrees, therefore futile regarding bed bugs. I did not get excited or angry about it. In fact, I was more concerned for other future pilgrims than myself.

On the contrary, I could not have been met with a better, more responsible, loving, caring reception than at GAUCELMO IN RABANAL yesterday night. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
On arrival I told them about my problem as I was totally covered in bites. They kicked into action....

-They isolated me immediately.
-They gave me clean clothes to change into
-They completely emptied my backpack and put it with my boots in a sealed black bag in the sun with killer spray over night
-They washed all of my clothes and belongings with stitching
-They tumbled dried everything at 69degrees
-They made me a lovely cup of tea
-They were kind and proactive
-They gave me plastic bags to put all of my other things in
-They were responsible
-They followed the process in the hospitalero guidebook
-They took the matter very seriously
-They cared about me, other pilgrims and minimising risk in their albergue
-BRILLIANT!!! Wonderful Camino Angels💕😇

-The total opposite to CAMINO FRANCES HOSTEL in SANTIBANEZ DE VALDEIGLESIA
WHERE THERE IS CLEARLY A BED BUG PROBLEM

The irony is that the uncaring hostel cost €10, which they would not refund, and the priceless service at GAUCELMO was donativo.

Since, internet exists, it seems that some people feels they are judges and executioners. But let me tell you something. The persons that run the Albergue Camino Frances are all responsible people and one of them is well known by everybody here, and he is Jose Luis from JACOTRANS (he is one of the owners), who do a brilliant work with his company with his team and in the albergue Camino de Santiago with his team for many many years. One beg bug that came for sure with other pilgrims the days before and now the albergue, accoding to Lucy is the baddest place on Earth! This is So Sick. Albergue Camino de Santiago is being open for many years with a brilliant performance every season with any bed bugs problems. Maybe the Hospitalero wasn´t clever in the protocol because they never had had that problem before. Please, more common sense. Try to spread love, not Lava. Get into their Boots and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
CAMINO FRANCES HOSTEL in SANTIBANEZ DE VALDEIGLESIA DID NOT CARE! I insisted on the washing and drying, not them. Their washer and dryer were only 40degrees, therefore futile regarding bed bugs. I did not get excited or angry about it. In fact, I was more concerned for other future pilgrims than myself.

On the contrary, I could not have been met with a better, more responsible, loving, caring reception than at GAUCELMO IN RABANAL yesterday night. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
On arrival I told them about my problem as I was totally covered in bites. They kicked into action....

-They completely emptied my backpack and put it with my boots in a sealed black bag in the sun with killer spray over night
-They were responsible

The irony is that the uncaring hostel cost €10, which they would not refund, and the priceless service at GAUCELMO was donativo.
Since, internet exists, it seems that some people feels they are judges and executioners. But let me tell you something. The persons that run the Albergue Camino Frances are all responsible people and one of them is well known by everybody here, and he is Jose Luis from JACOTRANS (he is one of the owners), who do a brilliant work with his company with his team and in the albergue Camino Frances with his team for many many years. One beg bug that came for sure with other pilgrims the days before and now the albergue, accoding to Lucy is the baddest place on Earth! This is So Sick. Albergue Camino de Santiago is being open for many years with a brilliant performance every season with any bed bugs problems. Maybe the Hospitalero wasn´t clever in the protocol because they never had had that problem before. Please, more common sense. Try to spread love, not Lava. Get into their Boots, and Buen Camino.

Last edited:

Yes, Guacelmo is a wonderful place! I hope you left a nice donation and I'm happy they helped you!

Not in my case. Over 200 bites once and around 50 on next Camino. Both times gear treated with permethrin
Really? That was a big surprise, huh? I wonder if you got a bad lot of permethrin?
I'm not surprised that you got bit despite treating your things with permethrin.
Permethrin is NOT a deterrent to bedbugs, nor will it kill them immediately on contact. So bedbugs can get into your sleeping bag or sleep sack and bite you.
HOWEVER, bedbugs will die after being exposed to permethrin treated gear over a couple of hours.
THEREFORE the reason to treat your gear with permethrin isn't to keep from getting bitten, but to keep from transporting bedbugs to the next albergue or to your home.
You can see how permethrin affects bedbugs in this video.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not surprised that you got bit despite treating your things with permethrin.
Permethrin is NOT a deterrent to bedbugs, nor will it kill them immediately on contact. So bedbugs can get into your sleeping bag or sleep sack and bite you.
HOWEVER, bedbugs will die after being exposed to permethrin treated gear over a couple of hours.
THEREFORE the reason to treat your gear with permethrin isn't to keep from getting bitten, but to keep from transporting bedbugs to the next albergue or to your home.

A hot Steam Gun kills them inmediatly, with no dangerous chemicals. As you see in this video, if you use Permethrin in a open space, they will have the time to walk to a safe place before they die. The Hot Steam Gun kills also the eggs and little nymphs.

A hot Steam Gun kills them inmediatly, with no dangerous chemicals. As you see in this video, if you use Permethrin in a open space, they will have the time to walk to a safe place before they die. The Hot Steam Gun kills also the eggs and little nymphs.
Yes, but I'm not going to carry a hot steam gun on the Camino!
I treat my backpack, sleep gear and all my cloth stuff sacks with permethrin, on the theory that they may be alive if they get into my backpack, but they will die from exposure to permethrin before I get to the next albergue.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Cool video. I found myself yelling "die, bedbugs, die!" ... inside my head. The music is a nice touch.

Not in my case. Over 200 bites once and around 50 on next Camino. Both times gear treated with permethrin ;)

It is what it is...
I was bit 2014 and 2016 -Frances. Treated my gear with permethrin both times. I was biten up both times. It is interesting to see people's advice on the subject. We're leaving in a month for Sevilla to start the Via de la Plata and I don't think I'm going to bother with the precautions. On both of my Caminos we traveled with an impromptu group. Of the six of us, including my wife, I was the only one to show the outward manifestations of being bitten. We all slept near each other, had our packs near each other in the Albergues, and marched together. Chances are just about everyone out on the Frances- covered with bites or not- has an equal chance of transporting the bugs along the Camino from bed to bed. In addition, unless you actually see a bug in an Albergue, don't be so sure your bites came from the albergue you just departed - it can take a couple of days before the welts rise.

My wife tells me the bugs "just love you"!

So I guess "it IS , what it is"

These are some of the research based sites I have relied on for information.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

-They were responsible

I had that feeling exact experience at Guacelmo. They turned a bad day into a great day., thanks to the caring hospitaleros.

I do believe that if I had been bitten as many times as the OP had and had her response, that I would have been a lot stronger in my words. Try walking a bit in HER boots.

My wife tells me the bugs "just love you"!

So I guess "it IS , what it is"

I walked with a woman who seemed to attract more than her fair share of bites and had worse reaction to them. I suspect that some people are more attractive to them for some reason. I’m so sorry!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I certainly sympathize with all who have been bitten--especially those that are bedbug magnets. I am the same way with mosquitoes. But, bedbugs, like mosquitoes in the USA mountain ranges, are ubiquitous. They are just part of the downside of travel. The bites are little more than annoying for most people and allergy danger to a few--too much scratching can open them to infection for all.
No lodging wants them and they do much behind the scenes to keep the infestations in check and protect pilgrims. But pilgrims are the vector that bring bedbugs downstream. I know it is easy to blame the 'innkeeper', or the quality of lodging, but housekeeping in five star hotels fight as do our hospitaleros. And they do not have a flow of infested pilgrim equipment coming in at 60 per day. If we need to place blame, it belongs on that loving 'camino family' just ahead of us, not the albergue.
So, chinches, being a fact-of-camino, what can we do? (and others may want to amend this list)
  • Treat our gear with permethrin, so there is far less bedbug hitchhiking. And, my treated equipment helps a little bit to mitigate the overall problem as well as gives me knowledge that I am not being bitten by the very bugs I am transporting!!
  • Watch your pack handling. Never onto a bed. Bedbugs like hiding and cracks; I use a carabiner and strap to my packs grabhandle to hang from one of the bedposts. Others use a large garbage bag to cover the pack then put pack on the floor.
  • Use (high percentage) DEET on open skin to protect against the bites.
  • Inspect bed for bloodspots, and cracks and seams for bugs. If you find them, tell the hospitalero and leave for another lodging.
  • Report bites and bugs to hospitalero, they may not reflect your level of panic and annoyance, but they do care.
  • And nothing is certain-- except that bedbugs have been human companions forever.
I am not sure that reporting does much good. The infestations are too fluid so any information is dated. Just assume bugs are everywhere and take precautions. I have found calamine lotion to be the medicine for itchy bites--i have been bitten but am not a magnet. YMMV.

I certainly sympathize with all who have been bitten--especially those that are bedbug magnets. I am the same way with mosquitoes. But, bedbugs, like mosquitoes in the USA mountain ranges, are ubiquitous. They are just part of the downside of travel. The bites are little more than annoying for most people and allergy danger to a few--too much scratching can open them to infection for all.
No lodging wants them and they do much behind the scenes to keep the infestations in check and protect pilgrims. But pilgrims are the vector that bring bedbugs downstream. I know it is easy to blame the 'innkeeper', or the quality of lodging, but housekeeping in five star hotels fight as do our hospitaleros. And they do not have a flow of infested pilgrim equipment coming in at 60 per day. If we need to place blame, it belongs on that loving 'camino family' just ahead of us, not the albergue.
So, chinches, being a fact-of-camino, what can we do? (and others may want to amend this list)
  • Treat our gear with permethrin, so there is far less bedbug hitchhiking. And, my treated equipment helps a little bit to mitigate the overall problem as well as gives me knowledge that I am not being bitten by the very bugs I am transporting!!
  • Watch your pack handling. Never onto a bed. Bedbugs like hiding and cracks; I use a carabiner and strap to my packs grabhandle to hang from one of the bedposts. Others use a large garbage bag to cover the pack then put pack on the floor.
  • Inspect bed for bloodspots, and cracks and seams for bugs. If you find them, tell the hospitalero and leave for another lodging.
  • Report bites and bugs to hospitalero, they may not reflect your level of panic and annoyance, but they do care.
  • And nothing is certain-- except that bedbugs have been human companions forever.
I am not sure that reporting does much good. The infestations are too fluid so any information is dated. Just assume bugs are everywhere and take precautions. I have found calamine lotion to be the medicine for itchy bites--i have been bitten but am not a magnet. YMMV.
I can't agree more with everything that you wrote!

Especially
But pilgrims are the vector that bring bedbugs downstream.
We have to remember that it is our responsibility to NOT spread the bedbugs. If you have any unexplained bites it's best to assume that they could be from bedbugs, and take care of your gear before continuing on to the next albergue.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A Wise Pilgrim.

As volunteer hospitaleros, we had some training on how to respond to "the threat" and to actual bedbugs. However, until first confronted with bugs or bites, it seemed a bit like just another training session. At one albergue we had a protocol for how to inspect for bedbugs and we used a steam gun to hopefully kill any that might be hiding. At other albergues we inspected daily while cleaning and before opening.

When a pilgrim arrived this summer showing us bites from his prior night, we followed a protocol and hopefully deterred the spread to our location. It is difficult as pilgrims may not come forward out of ignorance or fear. This pilgrim had been a hospitelero so understood the issues. It takes extra patience and pilgrims must be separated from their belongings while treatment occurs. This can be upsetting if a pilgrim finds they are not allowed to bring their pack inside the albergue.

It takes energy on both the pilgrim's part and the hospitalero's part to manage the problem. As hospitaleros we are taught to try to remain calm even if on the inside we are not feeling that way We try to not embarrass or alarm pilgrims by making a big deal out of this very upsetting problem. Privacy is not always possible in a crowded albergue, but respect is. By responding with action, but not over reaction, pilgrims and hospitaleros can work together to fight bedbugs.

Watch your pack handling. Never onto a bed. Bedbugs like hiding and cracks; I use a carabiner and strap to my packs grabhandle to hang from one of the bedposts. Others use a large garbage bag to cover the pack then put pack on the floor.

Though I agree with most of your post, this one honestly doesn't make sense.
Bedbugs crawl, and if you hang your pack from a bedpost, they're just as likely to crawl down the bedpost and into the bed.

That said, I often hang my backpack from the bedpost!

The thing I worry about MOST when taking groups is having our packs in transport vehicles or buses with other people's packs - oh, those little bedbugs must be in pack heaven!

I wonder if the transport companies see a lot of bedbugs?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.