• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed bugs in Puente la Reina

Darleen Taylor

Time of past OR future Camino
Just a heads up folks that there are bedbugs in the Albergue Padres Reparadores. We slept here last night Thurs Aug 23 and room #8 has bugs in at least 4of the beds. Comments from other peregrines indicate the same in other rooms. There were evidently bedbugs reported earlier this month, but we were assured that the premises had been fumigated and everything was fine.....NOT SO. We did check the beds, and everything looked fine, but I went to the washroom in the middle of the night and there was one on my arm. When we checked the beds, we found them. We had placed our packs in huge plastic bags and sealed them as a precaution, so only have to deal with bag liners and clothes, but what a pain. Have to wait for the dryer to finish before we can head out this morning.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sorry for your trouble. Peregrino-tom recently posted:
Interesting piece about the world-wide increases and how this may be linked to our own behaviours.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/19/bedbugs-heatwave-sparks-plage-pest-infestation
Within the article, the linked item in The Conversation is also thought-provoking
You might have time to read if you are still waiting your turn for the dryer...

And I have just re-read the article and the reference to the Conversation. None of us can stand tall on this story...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry @Darleen Taylor that you experienced this, but don't let it put you off. I've now survived four separate bedbug attacks on four different caminos - and lived to tell the tale!

The last camino was bedbug free, and physical barriers may have helped. Putting your packs into the large garbage packs has at least saved you some decontaminating. I've become a big fan of ultra-sil dry-bags to separate clothes and sleeping gear. When I arrive at my nights accommodation, I immediately but my backpack inside a very large ultra-sil dry-bag (it is actually a liner for a 70 litre backpack and my 30litre backpack fits easily inside). It's much tougher than a garbage bag and does not rustle. That dry bag gets sealed up once I've taken out the things I need for the night (in a smaller dry bag). My sleeping gear has its own dry-bag, and goes back into that in the morning, before going into my pack. The pack and the liner and my sleeping bag are all treated with permethrin before I leave home - I know that is not foolproof but hope it will kill off any hitch-hikers.

I'm obviously carrying extra weight with so many dry-bags but I think it is worth it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just a heads up folks that there are bedbugs in the Albergue Padres Reparadores. We slept here last night Thurs Aug 23 and room #8 has bugs in at least 4of the beds. Comments from other peregrines indicate the same in other rooms. There were evidently bedbugs reported earlier this month, but we were assured that the premises had been fumigated and everything was fine.....NOT SO. We did check the beds, and everything looked fine, but I went to the washroom in the middle of the night and there was one on my arm. When we checked the beds, we found them. We had placed our packs in huge plastic bags and sealed them as a precaution, so only have to deal with bag liners and clothes, but what a pain. Have to wait for the dryer to finish before we can head out this morning.
Sorry to hear that as I had planned to stay there on my Camino next month. A good albergue to stay in and I hope they can get rid of the pests. My daughters friend inadvertently brought them back to our home after a trip and it was like war trying to get rid of them completely so I do understand the difficulties.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In what city, or between which two major cities is that albergue located? Thank you.

In what city, or between which two major cities is that albergue located? Thank you.
Hi, Janel,

Exactly in the town mentioned in the title of this thread ;)
Between Pamplona and Estella.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Members are reminded that avoiding bed-bugs by avoiding all the Albergues that have been reported as having bed-bugs means that they will be spending most of their time in Albergues that haven't been reported yet ;)
There is much excellent advice on this forum on the topics of bed-bug detection and avoidance. All else you need is a little luck. As the article cited above makes clear our most common parasite is getting more common.

Members are reminded that avoiding bed-bugs by avoiding all the Albergues that have been reported as having bed-bugs means that they will be spending most of their time in Albergues that haven't been reported yet ;)
There is much excellent advice on this forum on the topics of bed-bug detection and avoidance. All else you need is a little luck. As the article cited above makes clear our most common parasite is getting more common.
Hehehe, exactly.
Just to add that couple of years ago there was a major infestation with bedbugs in 85% (from the memory) of New York hotels!
Figure that ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.