• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed bugs in Roncesvalles

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2018
Woke up this morning in beautiful Roncesvalles main albergue to find a bed bug crawling across the bed. I took a picture, then killed it. I only saw one and thus far no bites noticed. I had sprayed my sleeping bag and backpack so maybe that kept them off me.
The staff were great about helping me wash and dry all my belongings and even sprayed my bag with insecticide.
Not a great way to start my morning but didn’t let it dampen the magic of this amazing trip which so far has exceeded expectations. In Zubiri now, hoping to not encounter any more critters along the way to Santiago!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Woke up this morning in beautiful Roncesvalles main albergue to find a bed bug crawling across the bed. I took a picture, then killed it. I only saw one and thus far no bites noticed. I had sprayed my sleeping bag and backpack so maybe that kept them off me.
The staff were great about helping me wash and dry all my belongings and even sprayed my bag with insecticide.
Not a great way to start my morning but didn’t let it dampen the magic of this amazing trip which so far has exceeded expectations. In Zubiri now, hoping to not encounter any more critters along the way to Santiago!
Where did you sleep on SJPP ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

It’s a suggestion to leave your pack out of the bedroom in Zubiri (ie in common area) even though you decontaminated it just in case one critter hitch hiked with you.

Bed bugs on the Camino seem to me to have a seasonal pattern. Since joining this forum some six years ago, and after six caminos, I have observed a pattern.

Bed bugs are generally unknown on the Camino during the early 'hip" months in April, May and into early June. Yes, there are sightings, but they tend to be few and far between, at least at that time of year.

However, once the pilgrim and tourigrino throngs hit the Camino Frances from mid-June, through September, the numbers of reported sightings, bites, and infestations at lodging places increases. I have a hypothesis...

Most albergues tend to close for the season at the end of October. That is when the autumn 'hip" season ends. After that, you have, basically winter pilgrims. These closed albergues reopen around Easter as the next 'Camino season' commences. The pattern of bites and infestations follows closely the human distribution across the Camino.

While they are closed, for nearly five months, there is ample time for cleaning, fumigation and disinfection. I submit that this is when the bed bug life cycle is broken, and they are mostly killed off. To be sure, some are missed, or some locations do not do a proper fumigation / disinfection job. Nothing is perfect in life.

IMHO, that is why we always see a pattern of nil bed bug sightings, then building to a crescendo in August, then dropping off in September, and October. Iti is also why I choose to do my Caminos in the spring, being sure to get off the Camino routes before June, and opt to stay in commercial lodging.

Knock wood, I have not yet had a run-in with the little beasties...o_O

Hope this helps.

IMHO, that is why we always see a pattern of nil bed bug sightings, then building to a crescendo in August, then dropping off in September, and October. Iti is also why I choose to do my Caminos in the spring, being sure to get off the Camino routes before June, and opt to stay in commercial lodging.

I agree with your hypothesis.
However, I did find a bedbug this year in May/June in one of my lodgings in Pedrouzo .

I also found a bedbug in my bed in a nice hotel on Interstate 5 in California last month! They're everywhere!

The manager tried to tell me it was a mosquito. I laughed and said, "I know the difference between a mosquito and a bedbug, and last time I checked, mosquitos didn't crawl fast under beds to escape the light! lol!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bed bugs are generally unknown on the Camino during the early 'hip" months in April, May and into early June
we always see a pattern of nil bed bug sightings
I wouldn't argue with the general statement that there are fewer bedbugs early in the season than later, for the reasons you describe. However, you lose credibility (in my literalistic mind) by overstating the case with the words "generally unknown" and "nil... sightings." That is simply not true, and many people on the forum have reported them in spring. I have been bitten in March - twice, different years, different caminos - both times in very clean private lodging. I am convinced that those 2 bedbugs had been fasting all winter, waiting for me!

For ten years now, I have been walking in early spring (early April), spring, late summer, autumn. Always several weeks. I have never seen a bedbug. Never been bitten. But I inspect beds/premises. But I have never walked out. Strange. (?)

However, I am leaning towards the proposal of @t2andreo . It sounds plausible.

The reported distribution is still a classic ‘bell curve.’ There are relatively fewer sightings and incidents at both ends of the season.

Originally I thought it might be simply because, with fewer pilgrims, there were fewer ‘blood meals’ to attract the insects. However, the distribution cannot be wholly explained by simply removing their food source.

Hence, my hypothesis. I did say that: “To be sure, some (bugs) are missed...” off-season bites DO occur. I did not say it was impossible to be bitten off season. I have learned never to say never...

Hope this clarifies...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
San Sol, 5km before Hontanas, closed due to bed bugs. Traveller saw spray team there today 18th September 2018

Just laying my head down to sleep in Roncevailles- surely hope it wasn’t my bunk 263!!!

Turns out we did get bitten but took a day or two to show up. Have gone through the process of washing/drying everything twice now just to be safe. We have met several people enroute who have bites as well.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
All accommodation are required to spray yearly on the Camino. Most Spray at the end of the season...or before the new season begins according to owners I have talked to....that is why you see fewer bugs at the beginning of the season. I do not know if f transport such as buses must be sprayed.But one Alsa bus we used in March had three pilgrims get bitten on board...so if you are using any type of transport....suggest using deet.

Last edited:
My beloved and I were very well eaten on our April camino this year. We saw many others who had also been bitten. There seemed to be much more use of tiles, plastic covered mattresses and steel bed frames. However, it was my impression that the extra blankets that were available for all to use in many of the albergues may have been problematic. Use of a hot dryer on route and everything into our chest freezer when we came home have been our interventions of choice

Turns out we did get bitten but took a day or two to show up.
That is the problem inherent in specifically attacking an accommodation as the infested source. There can be a time lag. The bites may be from bed bugs you carried with you for a stage or two. Bites may not even be from accommodations.

Treat every accommodation as infested, and you will never go wrong!!;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bed bugs on the Camino seem to me to have a seasonal pattern. Since joining this forum some six years ago, and after six caminos, I have observed a pattern.

Bed bugs are generally unknown on the Camino during the early 'hip" months in April, May and into early June. Yes, there are sightings, but they tend to be few and far between, at least at that time of year.

However, once the pilgrim and tourigrino throngs hit the Camino Frances from mid-June, through September, the numbers of reported sightings, bites, and infestations at lodging places increases. I have a hypothesis...

Most albergues tend to close for the season at the end of October. That is when the autumn 'hip" season ends. After that, you have, basically winter pilgrims. These closed albergues reopen around Easter as the next 'Camino season' commences. The pattern of bites and infestations follows closely the human distribution across the Camino.

While they are closed, for nearly five months, there is ample time for cleaning, fumigation and disinfection. I submit that this is when the bed bug life cycle is broken, and they are mostly killed off. To be sure, some are missed, or some locations do not do a proper fumigation / disinfection job. Nothing is perfect in life.

Knock wood, I have not yet had a run-in with the little beasties...o_O

Hope this helps.
I walked this year from early May and was worried about getting bitten as I decided against spraying my bag etc. No bites or spottings, although I a met a few who were bitten. However, I agree it appears that with summer there is more activity. If I walk again I will do it spring.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.