• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Bugs - Le Puy

roncarlien

We are going to do the Le-Puy to SJPP route this fall and wonder if bed bugs are a problem in the Gite d'etapes along the route. I've heard that the Spanish Alberques are plagued with them, although when we did the Camino Frances in 2005 we had no problem whatsoever. We will have our own sleep sacks and sleeping bags. How does one avoid them if they are present in the gite where you must stay? Is there an effective repellent? Thanks for the info.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In Spain they say that the bed bugs have come with the walkers from France over the Pyrenees. :D Yes, they are in France too. There are a lot of ways to protect oneself. I think you should read some of the posts for the French route about this. First of all: Do not stay in an albergue where there are bed bugs. Then, may be use a bed-bug-sheet. I have used one for 9 years on many routes in Spain and France and have avoided them. May be impregnate your backpack (I do that too), or have an impregnated sac to put your backpack in when you put it on the floor. (I will do that this year, because I carry a very thin sac which I put my backpack in during the flight. Now I will impregnate it and give it a new function during my walk.) Same private gîtes in France have their own sacs, which you have to put your backpack in when you arrive to avoid YOUR bed bugs to walk out into THEIR room. Keep your belongings in your backpack and not for example on the floor or under the bed. and so on... Bjørg

In my three weeks along the Le Puy route in Sept 2010, I never saw a bedbug. However, every gite operator was enforcing some very stiff rules about bedbug hygeine. These were invariably explained in voluminous length and in French (a language I do not speak) at the end of an exhausting day.

(1) Boots and backpacks must remain in the front lobby, not taken into the sleeping room. This means pulling out what you need for the night and taking it with you. Be sure you pack modularly!

(2) Spraying your sleep sack with the natural pyrethrim spray was mandated in two establishments. I carried a treated sheet with me as well.

These precautions were not enforced in the small hotels where I occasionally stayed, just the gites and chamber d'hotes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Permethrin is the most common, most effective, and least toxic bed bug insecticide, but it has risks:

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsh ... rin_fs.htm

It is approved in the U.S. for human use, but in Canada, it is approved only for livestock (the last time I looked).

Insect repellent with DEET works on humans, though many are allergic to DEET.

I have used a silk "sleep sac" (impregnated)...but it is not comfortable for me as I turn often and it just gets all jammed up. Not comfortable at all.
Many people talk about lightweight silk fitted twin sheets to just fit over the bunk mattress. This way it just stays in place.
The problem is that I can't find a place to buy one at a resonable price in the U.S.

I have just got a double silk liner, which is roomy, so can turn around inside it, as I don't want to carry a sleeping bag next time and can't afford the Yeti, which at 265 gm is the lightest down bag available. Taking an antibedbug undersheet. Cheers, Gitti

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You can purchase fitted sheets in the USA at Goodwill stores for $2.99.
I assume you're going to soak it with permethrin?
Because simply putting a fitted sheet on top of the albergue bed will do nothing but give the bedbugs a clean place to walk! :lol:

grayland said:
Many people talk about lightweight silk fitted twin sheets to just fit over the bunk mattress. This way it just stays in place. The problem is that I can't find a place to buy one at a resonable price in the U.S.

Yes....I would treat it as I have always treated sleep sac, sleeping bag, pack, etc. :wink:

Somehow I think that the sheets at Goodwell would not be exactly what I was looking for. I would like to find a lightweight fitted sheet.

Sheets advertised as anti-bed bug are a dense weave, therefore not particularly light. Their "scientific" claim is that bed bugs can squeeze through the weave of normal sheets, which I doubt very much. Often the advertised sheets are not treated with insecticide. Anniesantiago's suggestion is a pretty good one for saving money and getting rid of stuff post-Camino that you may never use again. A sheet is not much of a barrier to a bed bug, and probably just offers good footing for the climb to your veins. It is the insecticide or insect repellent that does the real work.

Actually, I was thinking in terms of carrying weight...not weave. Chemicals are needed.
I would like to find something light (twin fitted) that I can treat with permethrin as usual.

The Travel Clinic in Apollo Drive in Auckland sell antibedbug sheets, which are impregnated with Pyrethryn. They weigh 90 grams, I have taken this in the past, but ended up posting it off, as I could not be bothered with it, but might actually use it next time.

Can anyone offer a current status of bedbugs on Camino Frances? Are they localized to specific albergues? Is it a real problem?

Bed bugs travel, so it does not help much to know where they are. Most albergues will treat for the bugs when a pilgrim reports bites, so they may be gone by the time you arrive. Or they may have hitch hiked to the next place, and be waiting for you. They do not bite everyone for reasons known only to the bed bugs. Read the posts here, and some place names repeatedly come up, so you might want to avoid them. The parochial Albergue del Monasterio de las Benedictinas in Leon, Jesus y Maria in Pamplona, and San Javier in Astorga (which was actively battling them) have had bed bugs every time I visited them. I think that the most that you can do is prepare for them and make a last minute decision to walk on if you need to.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Le Puy route is in our opinion the most beautiful.
Your accommodation will mostly be in homes consisting of demi pensions.
It is nothing like the Frances and you will be very happy with this wonderful way.
Enjoy this beautiful countryside and hospitality,
David

On le Chemin du Puy, everybody seems to freak out with the bed bugs.

I've recently done the Chemin du Puy, and I've seen only one pilgrim that had problems with bed bugs. (she had to wash all her clothes and put her backpack on the freezer).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Currently on Le Puy route, just before Cahors, so far have seen one person who got bitten by bedbugs in Les Faux before St Alban sur Limagnole.
Compared to 2009 the gite owners or managers are really onto it in terms of prevention and taking immediate action, everywhere Claco Punaise is being sold, geranium essence ( Pyrethrum), you are meant to spray your gear with it every few days, many places ask you to leave your packs in a separate part of the building and you get a little box to bring in essential gear only... so far so good no bites. As an issue it is now out in the open and discussed and gite owners are no longer defensive or avoiding the issue.

Bedbugs close to STJPP. For the last week or so people have been bitten at the gite communal in Maslaq. I have seen several people badly bitten and it would not be surprising if there were other places with problems before and after Maslaq. Be very vigilant, empty pack daily and check for unwanted creatures and eggs, check body every morning for bites and report if you find anything untoward. We are on our last day to SJPP from Le Puy and so far so good, we have not had any problems, having slept in a wide range of accommodation.

Hei!
Had a few days on GR65 in May. In the places I slept there was a pamphlet about punaises de lit and what to do to avoid it. CLACO I think was the name of a spray that you could byu at the gites or the farmacias.
Before I left I treated my backpack and silksleepinglinen with permethrin. Lifesystems has a 50ml bottle of antimosquito treatment (permethrin) that you add to some water and you can treat everything you want, clothes, linen etc. Did not smell.
I did not see any bedbugs. When I stayed at the gite in Romieu in 2009, the owner was very concerned about bedbugs and gave instructions about the backpack. We were not allowed to use sleepingbags and so on. This May he did not bring up the subject. Very often the owners of the gites warn you if they have heard about bedbugs in gites further on.
Bonne route!
Randi

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We saw 2 people who had been bitten by bedbugs when they stayed at the communal gite in Maslaq. This was in May so obviously it is still a problem there. The gite La Halte further down the road is a private gite but worth every cent of the 16 euros as it is clean and also includes breakfast in the price.
Sharon

Started in Le Puy and finished in Cahors on 20'th Spetember. No issues with bed bugs , did not have anyone report any along the way .

The gite at Montbonnet was our first intro on how to avoid them given by the owner. He took it very seriously and the guest book reflected it . !
Glad that he put the fear of god into everyone, perhaps that was part of the reason we didn't get any on our trip.

The way to go Ashley, short start [ 15km] great place to stay [ a few bars and pensions] and the right info.
It's a beautiful walk .
David

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've spent the whole day planning a walk from sarria to finisterre with my seven year old for next may/June but now.... I can't stop scratching! I don't think I can go!!! Bed bugs! I don't do chemical sprays or treatments, I love my kidneys too much :D are they really a huge problem? How dangerous is it my daughter gets bitten? What about ticks? Are they a problem?

Bed bug bites are not dangerous unless you are allergic to them, which very few are. Ticks are rare. Head lice are rare. DEET insect repellant works for bed bugs, so you can apply it at bedtime and wash in the morning. I prefer treating my equipment and sleeping bag with permethrin. It protects me, and prevents me from being a carrier of bed bugs in my equipment. Once dry, it is "safe" for humans. Bed bugs arue out there, and become more prominent as the year progresses. You can find them in the finest hotels in the large cities of the U.S. and Europe. Like the weather, you cannot do anything about the problem except prepare for it, sort of a poncho for insects!

falcon269 said:
Bed bug bites are not dangerous unless you are allergic to them, which very few are. Ticks are rare. Head lice are rare. DEET insect repellant works for bed bugs, so you can apply it at bedtime and wash in the morning. I prefer treating my equipment and sleeping bag with permethrin. It protects me, and prevents me from being a carrier of bed bugs in my equipment. Once dry, it is "safe" for humans. Bed bugs arue out there, and become more prominent as the year progresses. You can find them in the finest hotels in the large cities of the U.S. and Europe. Like the weather, you cannot do anything about the problem except prepare for it, sort of a poncho for insects!
holy moly! i dont think we have bed bugs in ireland! a year travelling australia and i didnt see one! i cant do chemical sprays and permethrin. could they go and hide out in my hair? its long! and my daughters is very long and curly too. oh some serious research to be done :) and maybe a hair cut :D
thank you very much!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bed bugs do not carry any disease. They nest in walls and crevices, so your hair is safe. You will have three choices:

1. take your chances that there are no bed bugs
2. use the most benevolent chemical available, permethrin
3. treat bites

You could try prayer, but St. James has already permitted a lot of bed bug bites on his pilgrimage...

falcon269 said:
Bed bugs do not carry any disease. They nest in walls and crevices, so your hair is safe. You will have three choices:

1. take your chances that there are no bed bugs
2. use the most benevolent chemical available, permethrin
3. treat bites

You could try prayer, but St. James has already permitted a lot of bed bug bites on his pilgrimage...
im sure i could find some old pagan ritual that would deter the little blood sucking nasties :) i will give anything a go. and just incase im bringing the tent! thank you falcon!

Lise T said:
Hey Falcon

Can I ask...how do you treat your gear with permethrin? Do you spray or machine wash? And do you need to re-treat your gear while on your walk?
Last questions... :D Where do you buy permethrin from? Is it a hardware store item or garden centre item?

Many thanks for your help with this.

LT

It looks like permethrin is easily available in NZ. Google returned a number of hits.
This site seems to cover it pretty well.
http://www.travelproducts.co.nz/Active% ... ment%20Kit

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.