• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Bugs & Lice and other critters

aikisilvi

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Camino Portuguese. Future: Via de La Plata 2019.
Hello Everyone,

I've read lots of interesting things on how to avoid bed bugs...except here's my problem: I'm extremely allergic to chemicals and sometimes get an allergic asthma attacks...question, is there a "natural" way to eliminate the bed bugs or lice?

I'm also a vegetarian...would the albuergues or restaurants have food to accommodate my no shell fish or meats diet?

Thanks,
Silvi

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Please be informed that there are several Organic and Non Toxic products in the market.
We have a product called Best Yet, which is EPA 25 B product. It is non toxic and has no harsh chemicals. It not only will kill Bed Bugs, Lice, Fleas, Mites, Roaches but also REPEL them.
The cedar oil smell is like Ammonia to Bugs. For additional information please visit our website at http://www.xerobugs.com
Hope this helps to all who are looking for a Non Toxic and Chemical free products for Bed Bugs, Fleas, Mites, Ticks, Lice, Cockroaches and many common pests and parasites.

Awesome!! Where have you been all these years??? I wonder if this is something that can be posted in an easy to find place for future reference. Has anyone tried it?
Lillian

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
aikisilvi said:
...I'm also a vegetarian...would the albuergues or restaurants have food to accommodate my no shell fish or meats diet?...

Thanks,
Silvi

Hello, Silvi.

I've walked with any vegetarian people. No problem. Salads, Omelettes, fruits, and so, always possible. Less different options than if meat and fish were possible, but enough to choose any between all different options.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

There are several other threads on this site regarding vegetarian food. You might want to do a search in order to read them. In the albergues with kitchens you can easily prepare vegetarian meals. Otherwise, I wouldn't exactly say, "no problem". You will undoubtedly eat lots of salads, (make sure you have them leave off the tuna which comes on many/most salads) and omelettes as well as French fries (which may or may not be fried in lard--I'm not sure) . Most soups and vegetable dishes are made with meat stocks/animal fat/meat. So, yes, you can find vegetarian food but it is often limited to bread and cheese, eggs, french fries which are tasty but somewhat tiresome after a month or more.

viajero said:
There are several other threads on this site regarding vegetarian food. You might want to do a search in order to read them. In the albergues with kitchens you can easily prepare vegetarian meals. Otherwise, I wouldn't exactly say, "no problem". You will undoubtedly eat lots of salads, (make sure you have them leave off the tuna which comes on many/most salads) and omelettes as well as French fries (which may or may not be fried in lard--I'm not sure) . Most soups and vegetable dishes are made with meat stocks/animal fat/meat. So, yes, you can find vegetarian food but it is often limited to bread and cheese, eggs, french fries which are tasty but somewhat tiresome after a month or more.

Thank you for your post. As I imagine, I tend to eat lots of vegies, salads, breads, cheese...will see, I'm sure I won't go hungry.

Thank you,
Silvi :lol:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yech!! Vegetarian food advice under the heading of bed bugs, lice and other critters!! Yechhhh.

........... and protein!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
"After 30 km, everything is delicious!!" - I agree and like to add that you might bring your own pillow/bedding/sleeping bag.
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Jeez, now I´ve seen it all. It´s supposed to be a pilgrimage. You´re supposed to deal with what comes your way, when it comes your way.
If you´re that scared of bugs, maybe you should stay home.

Reb (Grinch)

Well, Ms. Grinch ::laughing::

We're not all as steely as you, I guess :)

I have MCS, which is an autoimmune disease. My immune system is OVERactive, which means that when I get a sniff of a molecule like perfume or air freshener, my body thinks it is an invader and ATTACKS. Then it proceeds to attack my own body, leading to aching joints, fever, brain fog, and a whole list of symptoms which are similar to flu symptoms. One exposure to the wrong substance puts me in bed for up to 2 weeks, rendering me unable to walk or function.

In the case of a bite, a flea or mosquito bite swells up , oozes, is HOT, and leads to bruising under the skin. As a result, I fear bites like bedbug bites, where you generally get dozens, not just one.

Soooo... I'm sorry I don't meet your pilgrim standard checklist, and where your "grinchiness" might be sound in most cases, I have learned to be prudent.

Since we plan to sleep outdoors much of the time, the tent seems like a good idea for me.

Happy Holidays!
Annie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Heavens, I wish you all the luck in the world. The camino is a serious physical challenge for just about everyone. It looks like something downright monumental to you. Be careful out there.

I have a pretty deadly set of allergies myself, which can quickly lead to asthma and anaphlactic shock, etc. etc. so I can relate in a small way. It´s not ill people I look at with my "checklist," but the fastidious, high-maintenance people, the ones who go all queasy when the food is oily, there´s tuna on their salad, the toilet is spotty, there are insects in the room, or the nasty hospitalero put them in a bunk they don´t like. I think these guys need to either grow a spine, or go to a proper tourist resort and leave the pilgrimage to pilgrims.

Ill people, I think, should also consider the "worst-case scenario," and how their condition might affect those around them... having dealt with deathly-ill pilgrims as a hospitalera, and having known hospitaleros and pilgrims who had to deal with fatalities occurring in their care, I beg everyone with a known medical condition to PLEASE meet with your doctor before you head for Spain, and get yourself a good check-up, and make sure everything´s in good order and you have any medicine you might need on the Way. (it´s not really a hospitalero´s job to go looking for a pharmacy that´s got your insulin formula, for instance..)

Accidents will happen, I know. I´m just sayin.

It´s grinchy to say so, but I don´t think the camino is for everybody. Everybody is certainly not suited for the camino. To think otherwise is to be either delusional, or an employee of the Tourist Office of Galicia.

It looks like something downright monumental to you.
No, not really. Not monumental at all as long as I don't get bit, which is why I'm considering the bugnet. I'm pretty good at caring for my own needs and I think this is an excellent solution to bedbugs! I haven't read anywhere where "bedbugs MUST be experienced" is part of a successful Camino! ::laughing::

I have a pretty deadly set of allergies myself, which can quickly lead to asthma and anaphlactic shock, etc. etc. so I can relate in a small way. It´s not ill people I look at with my "checklist," but the fastidious, high-maintenance people, the ones who go all queasy when the food is oily, there´s tuna on their salad, the toilet is spotty, there are insects in the room, or the nasty hospitalero put them in a bunk they don´t like. I think these guys need to either grow a spine, or go to a proper tourist resort and leave the pilgrimage to pilgrims.

I agree, that high-maintenance people should leave the camino to the pilgrims. I have to laugh when put into a category called "fastidious, and high maintenance," simply because you do not know me and that is as far from the truth as it gets.

The Camino is not only for healthy people. Part of my pilgrimage was praying for my own healing, as well as the healing of friends and loved ones. I found a great deal of healing on my last Camino. Where I was VERY ill at the beginning, by the end, I was in much better physical condition than when I began.

Ill people, I think, should also consider the "worst-case scenario," and how their condition might affect those around them... having dealt with deathly-ill pilgrims as a hospitalera, and having known hospitaleros and pilgrims who had to deal with fatalities occurring in their care, I beg everyone with a known medical condition to PLEASE meet with your doctor before you head for Spain, and get yourself a good check-up, and make sure everything´s in good order and you have any medicine you might need on the Way. (it´s not really a hospitalero´s job to go looking for a pharmacy that´s got your insulin formula, for instance..)

This also is very good advice, and lucky for you, I won't be sending you out for a bugnet or for medication, nor will I expect you or some other unfortunate hospitaliero to drive me to get medical care. In my opinion, I'm taking care of my own needs and acting responsibly. :)

don´t think the camino is for everybody. Everybody is certainly not suited for the camino. To think otherwise is to be either delusional, or an employee of the Tourist Office of Galicia. No, the Camino is not for everybody. And the ones that it is especially FOR are those who need healing, whether physical or spiritual. Of that, I am sure.

I have to ask myself why my needs offend your sensibilities any more than any other person? If there's anything I can do or say to help you over this hill, please let me know.

I value your experience and your advice on this forum and I value you as a fellow Pilgrim.

Your needs don´t offend me. I was trying to express that -- people who have illnesses are taking on something even more challenging than just a camino when they decide to hike it. They are to be admired and accommodated wherever possible.

You have a good reason to be fastidious, because if you don´t be very careful it could be fatal to you.
But some people are just fastidious, and high-maintenance, and expect special treatment just because, well.. just because they´ve always got special treatment. They do not adjust themselves to the local conditions -- they demand the local conditions shift to meet their expectations. These are the ones who bother me. I don´t let them bother me very much, however.

I don´t think I´m over any hills, but thanks for the offer of help. I try to keep my eyes open for opportunities for enlightenment.

Reb

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It has been suggested that one can purchase a mosquitoe spray at the farmacia in but is it effective for bed bugs? and can someone tell me what it is called in Spanish.

You will be happy to know that as of 23/06/2010-23/07/2010 i did NOT find any Bed bugs or Lice on the Camino France even if I had treated by backpack/Sleeping bag with Perimetrin based insecticide since I had read on this forum that it was infested NOT so...Ps I only used a non treated silk mummy sleeping sheet on 97% of the camino (the sleeping bag a had was too hot to sleep in ) using as sleeping dress my clean walking attire for the new days walk. Once I slepted on the floor 18 Km from Santiago...having sent my sleeping bag/mat to the Santiago Post office because I was not using it (2.7 kg less weight!) I only used it in France:- Bayonne for 1 night as my train (TGV) was late due to a mechanical problem and hotels at 23:30 are full or closed or the two found open where way too expensive for me 51 and 91 Euros! :roll: so i slept on a bench near the station! :roll: ) . Should have sent it 68 km from Santiago as on the last 100 km you had a nasty Rush to get to the hostels which were always packed full :cry: PS This is NOT how the camino should be!
Veg/Food is no problem but salads can contain Fish Tuna...if so eat it anyway:its already dead :lol: and you cannot make i come alive again anyway... :wink:
House Flys are a problem... but nothing is done to keep them low in number...I used Off! (N,N-dietil-m-toluamide (Deet) braced insecticide on me... but only during the day before walking...and even then I got bitten by a wasp on my index finger...so no big deal! Only if you suffer from an allergy to insect bites you should bring an antihistamine to take in such an event. (I only used a disinfectant such as Betadine , also found in pharmacies in Spain, on it and was ok).

about bed bugs recently somewhat about two weeks ago an individual had bed bug bites from an albergue in los arcos... it was confirmed by the farmacia also two other recived bites from an another abergue in a town starting with a t...cannot remember, nevertheless will not mention the name of the albergue since cannot confirm for sure that is where they were contracted
on the camino and the rush, it's not bad this time around relatively lots of places...that is of july 5,2011..looking forward to going home have to say, seems the camino is a marathon for some they are doing 40-46 ks a day. the camino should be an adventure so stop and smell the roses and enjoy the beauty of Creation.
nathanael+

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes , there is a simple answer - If you go in March and April or October and November - bedbugs thrive on heat and moisture they do not like the cold
- at first , this sounds a bit of a joke , but it is your fundamental answer. :mrgreen:
In the cooler Spring or Autumn - no bugs!

As for the VEG!! The Spanish just can't help themselves putting a little bacon into their vegetarian meals to add little flavor - Bless them - for they do not know. :mrgreen:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.