• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed bugs - Santander

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkA

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019
del Norte+Ingles 2022
Albergue de peregrinos Santos Mártires on 30 August. I believe I saw live bugs on several mattresses. I have been unaffected because my sleeping gear has been treated with Permethryn but an amigo got badly bitten. This is a cramped, dirty albergue and best avoided for multiple reasons.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I believe I saw live bugs
Did you notify the people responsible for the albergue? That would give an indication of whether they have a responsible attitude. Virtually every albergue sometimes faces the bedbug problem, and the attitude and follow-up are important for us to know whether to stay there in future.

I have been unaffected because my sleeping gear has been treated with Permethryn
Very likely you were unaffected because the bedbug was satisfied with the other pilgrim, and/or because you are not allergic/reactive to the bedbug bite. Many people do not react to bedbug bites - it could even be a majority, but the research is very limited so we don't know.

This is a cramped, dirty albergue and best avoided for multiple reasons.
Fair point. A sparkling clean place can still have bedbugs, but cleanliness would indicate that at least the albergue is being as well cared for as possible.

Did you notify the hospidero
Posts like this can have a positive impact but more likely can ruin a business

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm not here providing a public service.

Well, your purpose may not be to provide a public service, but think of the pilgrims coming after you whose bed bug risk might go down if you took the time to notify the albergue. Venting and complaining are all well and good, but thankfully most forum members try to take some action when they vent and complain. Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No. I don't speak Spanish. The staff were not friendly. The albergue was cramped and dirty. I'm not here providing a public service.
Then why are you letting us know - or are you just venting? Fair enough - we all do that from time to time.
But telling the staff is worth doing no matter how grungy the place is. Then they can take measures to de-bug the dorm.

No. I don't speak Spanish. The staff were not friendly. The albergue was cramped and dirty. I'm not here providing a public service.
Hopefully, you'll have a different outlook on life and in things general by the time you get to Santiago.
Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Albergue de peregrinos Santos Mártires on 30 August. I believe I saw live bugs on several mattresses. I have been unaffected because my sleeping gear has been treated with Permethryn but an amigo got badly bitten. This is a cramped, dirty albergue and best avoided for multiple reasons.
sorry to hear this yet you were smart to use Permethrin, I use it on my sleeping bag backpack, and boots, and also a fitted sheet I bring along which has been treated with this product. be safe and enjoy the Camino.

I was there in mid-August and the first room (closest to the entrance) was filled with them. We told the Italian man running the place and he didn't seem too fussed.

Needless to say, most of us didn't sleep in the room, but because it was too late, four of us ended up sleeping in the kitchen. Another roughed it outside. I actually ended up sleeping on 4 four chairs in the kitchen. Not nice on the back.

Hopefully, you'll have a different outlook on life and in things general by the time you get to Santiago.
Buen Camino.
Totally agree. I stayed in this albergue in early May. Yes, it is tired, cramped and good do with a spring clean. However, the hospitalero in place was extremely helpful and friendly. He provided us with fruit to eat on arrival and then did all our washing whilst we went out to find something to eat. By we, I mean the 2 people I had hooked up with at this juncture and myself.
Perhaps it is the way we interact with others that guides their responses!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If we are judging the judger….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.