• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Bugs

G T

Hi my names G T
Have been reading about bed bug,s on the camino
Brought sleeping bag that is treated against bed bugs and also sheet that is treated
is this a good enough measure or is there something else i can do please help anybody ?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi G T,
I never saw a bed bug when I walked in 2009. However, they obviously do exist on the Camino (and in hotels around the world, for that matter). I think treated sleeping gear and a little vigilance is the way to go. Another suggestion which I picked up from Falcon, was to use a "tyvek"sheet as a mattress cover, do a search of the forum on "tyvek" and you should find Falcons posts.
Buen Camino
Col

I don't think tyvek would protect one from bedbugs.. they can crawl on it as easy as on a sheet... unless you treat the tyvek?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anniesantiago said:
I don't think tyvek would protect one from bedbugs.. they can crawl on it as easy as on a sheet... unless you treat the tyvek?
Yes, that's correct. Thought that would be picked up in the other posts. But I should have mentioned it. Thanks for picking it up.
Col

Thank,s Colin for the reply.
Will stay vigilant. Are the bedbugs big enough to see then ? Also any other little tip,s you could recommend on anything. thank,s again GT.

I did buy a mattress cover from a travel shop that is supposed to stop BB. It is 100% polyester, so perhaps has to be sprayed first. I have a silk cover for my light weight fleece liner, does silk keep out the bed bugs. Does anything keep out bed bugs.
Also I heard that lavender oil is good if you do get bites.

Only a month away, can't wait to get started.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just treated my sleeping bag, backpack, and pillowcase with Permethrin. Bought it at Walmart, which is much cheaper than the same product at REI. It is supposed to work very good at keeping all bugs away, including bed bugs. I certainly hope so. I begin the Camino Portugese next Thursday.

sept last year they were the hot topic from leon on. nasty. some really bad cases, some not at all. everyone reacts to them differently. by galacia they were epidemic & the hostelleros didnt care.

before bed:
1) pull bed away from walls & curtains, no point of contact
2) spray anti bed bug nasty chemical on sheet/pillowcase/edges of mattress
3) apply roll on insect repellent
4) try not to be paranoid & think of nice things

17th and 18th aristocrats when travelling would take a young pig with them. Their servants would put the pig in the bed for an hour or so before the aristo went to bed, when the pig was then removed - the bedbugs would be full and content and the aristo would have a pleasant sleep - so, top tip - take a baby pig with you (they don't weigh much) :wink:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
David said:
17th and 18th aristocrats when travelling would take a young pig with them. Their servants would put the pig in the bed for an hour or so before the aristo went to bed, when the pig was then removed - the bedbugs would be full and content and the aristo would have a pleasant sleep - so, top tip - take a baby pig with you (they don't weigh much) :wink:

But the snore-ting will keep other pilgrims awake

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.