• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bed bugs

Sallyann1966

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2017
Hi guys, I'm in the uk and having trouble finding the bed bug spray (permithen, I think). Any ideas where to find this please.
Thanks in advance
Sallyann

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I've never bothered spraying but Ellis Brigham has this spray which looks to be the right sort of thing. That brand can be found in most outdoor shops over here. Someone who has sprayed their gear with permethrin might have a better personal recommendation though.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi guys, I'm in the uk and having trouble finding the bed bug spray (permithen, I think). Any ideas where to find this please.
Thanks in advance
Sallyann
Permethrin is not a bed bug spray. It does nothing to them.
Interestingly, during my Camino last month, I didn't once think about bed bugs. Looking at the bed was enough to know that there was no infestation along the Primitivo.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Permithrin may not be a repellant, but it is still one of the most effective insecticides for treating bed bugs. Its effects are not instantaneous, so it is unlikely that you will see dead bed bugs on beds in the morning even if there were bed bugs present. They may have time to feed and return to shelter before death.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Permithrin may not be a repellant, but it is still one of the most effective insecticides for treating bed bugs. Its effects are not instantaneous, so it is unlikely that you will see dead bed bugs on beds in the morning even if there were bed bugs present. They may have time to feed and return to shelter before death.
That's correct. It will eventually kill them. But it does the pilgrim who is using it no good. The benefit might go to the next guy or gal :)

I didn't bother with anything and survived to tell the story :)

Despite the " interesting feedback" I received on my bed bug post, I believe the treatment I gave my sleeping bag, liner & backpack helped me from actually getting the little buggers. I will have to check when I get home what the actual active ingredients are.:)

That's correct. It will eventually kill them. But it does the pilgrim who is using it no good. The benefit might go to the next guy or gal :)

If your pack and sleeping bag/liner/quilt were treated with permethrin wouldn't it kill the little buggers while they were in your pack, keeping them from spreading?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walked the Frances in early spring this year and was impressed by how many albergue mattresses and pillows were enclosed in plastic. Very different to when I walked it in autumn 2015.
To me the plastic covers seemed like fantastic bed bug prevention. Am happy to be contradicted because I am not an expert.
PS In my experience the municipals had the best mattresses and pillows with the new plastic covers. The (more expensive) private alburgues, not as often but several did have the plastic covers and presumably if the plastic works it will spread because surely it is cheaper to prevent an infestation.
I loved the plastic covers. Mind you didn't get bed bugs this time or last time and no treatments :D:D:D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There always will be the naysayers.

Having walked the Camino for many years, I've seen MANY people infected with bedbugs and though sometimes it's like nothing more than a mosquito bite, other times, it's sent people to hospital.
I've seen people really suffer after being pretty much eaten alive by the danged critters.

Getting them or not getting them is a crap shoot, in my opinion.

If you never saw a bedbug, that's wonderful for you.
If you choose not to treat, that's your choice.
I've only been bitten once, and that was on my first Camino, before I began treating the outside of my pack and sleeping bag.

Everyone has had their own personal experience with bedbugs.
Like shoes, there is no one-size-fits-all.

I do see them more and more each year.

Walked the Frances in early spring this year and was impressed by how many albergue mattresses and pillows were enclosed in plastic. Very different to when I walked it in autumn 2015.
To me the plastic covers seemed like fantastic bed bug prevention. Am happy to be contradicted because I am not an expert.
PS In my experience the municipals had the best mattresses and pillows with the new plastic covers. The (more expensive) private alburgues, not as often but several did have the plastic covers and presumably if the plastic works it will spread because surely it is cheaper to prevent an infestation.
I loved the plastic covers. Mind you didn't get bed bugs this time or last time and no treatments :D:D:D

Plastic keeps the mattresses and pillows clean from dirty pilgrim sweat.
The covers also keep the mattresses from being infected.
However, bedbugs don't just live in mattresses.
Bedbugs find all sorts of interesting places to live, including in the wooden frames, the wooden floors, and behind pictures on the wall.
If you're sleeping on a plastic covered mattress and there's a colony of bedbugs nearby, they'll wear roller skates to find you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

But those plastic covered mattresses are less than comfortable at 30°C!

Having walked the Camino for many years, I've seen MANY people infected with bedbugs and though sometimes it's like nothing more than a mosquito bite, other times, it's sent people to hospital.
I've seen people really suffer after being pretty much eaten alive by the danged critters.

I've only been bitten once, and that was on my first Camino, before I began treating the outside of my pack and sleeping bag.

Hi Annie, so as someone very experienced then you'd recommend I spray my pack and sleep liner with that Permethrin stuff before I go then?.. Thanks :)

My concern is not the bites. They are less annoying than mosquito bites.

My concern is taking them home!

. . . and as much as I hate the thought of people sleeping in Permethrin treated sleeping bags or sheets if it prevents the creatures from entering my house . . . I don't know.

[edit: Just to clarify - I was not implying that the bites are not a problem . . . I too ended up at the hospital for the allergy shot to lessen the welts and was an example for the nursing staff in Castro Urdalies - however I have worse issues with mosquito bites - my point, though not well made, was that being bitten one night is less of a problem than taking them home and getting bitten every night.]

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

You can argue science all you want. It won't change a thing. If treating your stuff with a pesticide makes you feel good, then go for it. Nobody is stopping you :)
But I my informed opinion still stands and we agree to disagree. Moving on.

Last edited:
Is this based on personal experience, or are you a chemist? Just curious, as the general view is that it works.
I won't bother treating my gear next time if it is proven to be ineffective.
My husband is a chemist, actually. The general scientific view is that it does NOT work. People need to do what they want to do. If putting Permethrin on your gear makes you feel good. Then do it. Believe what you will.
Heck, there are still people out there who think you can catch a cold from getting wet.

I'm not arguing this point any further. Coat your stuff with pesticides, I don't really care :) At worst it just won't work and you area out a few bucks.

. . . and as much as I hate the thought of people sleeping in Permethrin treated sleeping bags or sheets if it prevents the creatures from entering my house . . . I don't know.
Heat-treatment is the only certain way to prevent them coming home. 20 minutes or so at a temperature of 50C, or several days at -17C or less, will kill bed bugs at all life stages. See this guide by @SYates .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

They may be less annoying that mosquito bites to YOU!
But not to everyone.

011817+atlantis+resort+bed+bug+bites.jpg Bed-Bug-Bites.jpg tas_face_bed_bug_bites-56a4dffb3df78cf772850f66.jpg

Hi Annie, so as someone very experienced then you'd recommend I spray my pack and sleep liner with that Permethrin stuff before I go then?.. Thanks :)

Personally, if you aren't allergic to chemicals, I do recommend you spray the OUTSIDE of your pack and the OUTSIDE of your sleeping bag before you go.
Spraying the outside of your pack will keep them from crawling up and into your pack at night or on transportation.
Also, try to keep your pack up off the floor at night. Sometimes I hang it on the bedframe or put it on a chair.

If I had a sleep LINER, then I probably wouldn't spray it, but I do spray the outside of my sleeping BAG.

The other option is to use some type of repellant each night on your skin, if it doesn't bother you.
And then, you can just be vigilantly aware of the signs of bedbugs and if you see it, leave the place.

Here is a blog on the topic:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/06/dont-let-bedbugs-bite.html

I'm worried about bringing them home - they're nearly impossible to get rid of once they're in your house.
As someone mentioned, you can heat treat your stuff before bringing it into the house, and that includes your shoes.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
They may be less annoying that mosquito bites to YOU!
But not to everyone.

No - Annie, I too ended up at the hospital for the allergy shot to lessen the welts and was an example for the nursing staff in Castro Urdalies, but I find mosquito bites itch for days and days and days . . . however, having the bed bugs in my house - that is my nightmare!

The general scientific view is that it does NOT work
For clarity, it is correct that it is not thought to "work" as a deterrent or repellent, which is what people on the Camino are hoping for when they spray their packs in advance. However, it does generally work to kill insects after direct contact.

Is this based on personal experience, or are you a chemist? Just curious, as the general view is that it works.
I won't bother treating my gear next time if it is proven to be ineffective.

Permethrin's effectiveness as a treatment to kill bedbugs has become slightly less effective each year as resistance to the pesticide continues to develop. So, effectiveness depends on whether or not the bedbugs being treated have developed a generational resistance to the pesticide.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My husband is a chemist, actually. The general scientific view is that it does NOT work. People need to do what they want to do. If putting Permethrin on your gear makes you feel good. Then do it. Believe what you will.

Thanks for clarifying. So it was an 'informed' view ;)
I might just rely on checking mattresses then....

Before going to sleep, put your ready-to-go-in-the-morning backpack inside a big, heavy-duty, plastic garbage bag. In the morning, after you have moved into the common area to arrange yourself for departure, remove your pack from the garbage bag, then put your sleeping bag inside that bag and seal it shut prior to putting it inside your pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not for everyone, unfortunately. If you are allergic to them, it's NOT good! :eek:

I am allergic and ended up in the hospital for allergy shots. (Mosquito bites are even worse for me.)

My point , though not well made :(, was that being bitten one night is less of a problem than taking them home and getting bitten every night. :eek:

Interestingly, during my Camino last month, I didn't once think about bed bugs. Looking at the bed was enough to know that there was no infestation along the Primitivo.
Permethrin does work, but it should be applied pre-trip.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How can we bring it? Can we put it in our bag when traveling in airplane?

Is it allowed to carry it ?

You don't bring it on the Camino with you. You must apply it to your sleeping bag, backpack, etc., before you leave home. You must be careful when you spray it, and let it dry completely before using the items that you spray it on.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a company named Insect Shield that makes clothes and sleep sacks with Permitherin IN the fibers! They also collaborate with a company called Craghoppers to make clothes with Permitherin! It is AWESOME!!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You don't bring it on the Camino with you. You must apply it to your sleeping bag, backpack, etc., before you leave home. You must be careful when you spray it, and let it dry completely before using the items that you spray it on.
I have a cat: some one said that it would hurt cat.

There is a company named Insect Shield that makes clothes and sleep sacks with Permitherin IN the fibers! They also collaborate with a company called Craghoppers to make clothes with Permitherin! It is AWESOME!!!!
Their claims relate to mosquitoes and the few studies do not demonstrate clear effectiveness anyway.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't see the photos
You have to click on the button to go to the external website. I added it because the 'false signs' gallery is particularly instructive in getting your eye in.

My opinion is that Permethrin on sleeping bags and backpacks is likely to be of some use as a deterrent (although I have never used it). But if there are bedbugs in a room, they are highly mobile and will bite exposed skin unless you also apply insect repellent to the face and body.

It is more effective to become educated about the signs and check on arrival, than it is dousing everything in chemicals and hoping for the best. It is also more helpful to accommodation owners if everyone is vigilant and reports small infestations before they spread, rather than just driving bugs around the building with a range of deterrents.

Also of note is that I have an Osprey Tempest backpack and I have washed it at 60c in my home machine, even though it doesn't claim to be washable.

Last edited:
It is more effective to become educated about the signs and check on arrival, than it is dousing everything in chemicals and hoping for the best. It is also more helpful to accommodation owners if everyone is vigilant and reports small infestations before they spread, rather than just driving bugs around the building with a range of deterrents.

I agree, which is why I wrote the blog and posted the photos back in 2011

Their claims relate to mosquitoes and the few studies do not demonstrate clear effectiveness anyway.

...and ticks, ants, flies, chiggers, and midges. But the real reason I mention it was because everyone was suggesting Permithrin spray. This is merely a product with the Permithrin IN it...no messy spray...etc.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If your pack and sleeping bag/liner/quilt were treated with permethrin wouldn't it kill the little buggers while they were in your pack, keeping them from spreading?
OK - now home. The stuff I used is sold as "Debugger Spray" (product company "Equip"); The active constituent 0.3g/L Permethrin (25.75 ml in a 250ml pack). It is sold as an insect repellent from a range of insects (inc: mosquitos) used on bedding, mosquito nets. Effective for up to three months. (for Australians its available from better outdoor stores).

I have just posted a new resource on identifying the signs of bedbugs. When you get your eye in for the signs, you can feel more confident in your ability to check for them, and not worry.
Thanks notion900. It would be really proactive IF ALL albergues could post such or similar notices AND their policy on helping ANY pilgrims who advise that they think they or their gear is infected. (please don't tell that ALL albergues will help - I have first hand experience that they do not.)

OK - now home. The stuff I used is sold as "Debugger Spray" (product company "Equip"); The active constituent 0.3g/L Permethrin (25.75 ml in a 250ml pack). It is sold as an insect repellent from a range of insects (inc: mosquitos) used on bedding, mosquito nets. Effective for up to three months. (for Australians its available from better outdoor stores).
It appears that Equip might be responsible for some confusion here by suggesting their permethrin spray will repel insects. Permethrin is an insecticide, not a repellent.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And it only works if the BBs are exposed to a high enough concentration of Permethrin and/or over a sufficient period of time!
Buen Camino sin chinches, SY

Four Camino's and I have not met my first bed bug. What am I doing wrong? I have never sprayed my gear with any type of insecticide. Would rather risk a bite than have all my gear covered in chemicals that I am wearing in close proximity to my body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks in advance
Sallyann
Hi There, I sprayed my pack with all natural, non-toxic pepperment oil. I found it in a travel store. Guess it worked, because I never saw a bedbug in 3 trips across.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Four Camino's and I have not met my first bed bug. What am I doing wrong? ....

:) Sort of like asking
Hi There, I sprayed my pack with all natural, non-toxic pepperment oil. I found it in a travel store. Guess it worked, because I never saw a bedbug in 3 trips across.

There's no objective evidence of repellent or pesticide efficacy for peppermint oil vs bedbugs. If you did not get hit by either a car or a bovine, perhaps that is because of the peppermint oil.... :)

Just kidding around. Maybe your anecdotal experience was, indeed, related to peppermint oil. Hey, after all, there are worse things than smelling of candy canes :)

This is when I usually mention Tea Tree Oil. It seems to have worked; was recommended by a farmacia on the camino (they might have some experience). And sleeping in neurotoxins scares the heck out of me

This is when I usually mention Tea Tree Oil. It seems to have worked; was recommended by a farmacia on the camino (they might have some experience). And sleeping in neurotoxins scares the heck out of me
The difficulty is that none of us can really say anything about the efficacy of these remedies without knowing there were bed bugs to deter, and if I knew that, I wouldn't be staying anyway.
There is evidence for both the efficacy and safety of permethrin as an insecticide. Not so for essential oils of any kind.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Bed bugs find their human victims by orientating themselves to the CO2 you exhale. They don't care how you smell ;-) There is no single academic study around that supports the idea of bed bugs being deterred by aromatic oils like tea tree, pepermint, lavender and the like. Those bugs simple don't care about the smell of their blood supply (you), they find you via your exhaled CO2 (try to stop breathing) and your body warmth ... Buen Camino sin chinches, SY

Thanks in advance
Sallyann
Sallyann, you can actually purchase it at a pharmacy in Spain! Buen Camino1

This is dissappointing news. I used permathrin 3 times now and always felt cozy and protected from those critters tucked into my sleeping bag and slept in peace...now I'm not so sure about that.:eek:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is dissappointing news. I used permathrin 3 times now and always felt cozy and protected from those critters as I tucked myself into my sleeping bag and slept in peace...now I'm not so sure about that.:eek:

Thanks in advance
Sallyann
I think I bought this from the Internet. Or we are just off J26 of the M5 if you want to spray your clothes

Attachments

• IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0738.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Here's the deal for me.

Since I've used permethrin, spraying the outside of my pack and the outside of my down quilt/sleeping bag, I have never had a bite when using my sleeping bag.
I dare say there are PLENTY of pilgrims who can say the same.

Personally, in all these years, I haven't heard more than one or two people say, "I sprayed my stuff and STILL I was bitten."
And a person could argue they didn't apply the permethrin correctly.

Whether some study says it does or does not work doesn't matter to me.
That's like an argument about are eggs, milk, meat good for you or bad for you.
Conclusions to scientific papers, unfortunately, all depend on WHO is paying for the study.

Regarding safety, I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, so the choice to use permethrin was a serious one for me.
I'm the canary in the coalmine.
If I react to something, you'd better think twice about using it.
I do NOT react to permethrin, which tells ME it's most likely safe, if only used for a few hours each night for a few weeks, and if it's dry.

You can BET the majority of the albergues spray some type of poison on a regular basis, so it's a bit of a moot point to worry about sleeping around chemicals. The beds, floor, walls, and air are getting doused regularly!

Regarding effectiveness, the proof is in the pudding, imo.
Only one of my client has been bitten - and she did not spray her stuff.

And regarding those who say, "I never saw a bedbug," well, you're lucky :)
It was the luck of the draw.
MOST albergues do NOT have ongoing bedbug infestations because they regularly spray and are vigilant about cleanliness and watchfulness.
But all it takes is one pilgrim to bring them in, and a bed is infested.

So do whatever you're comfortable with and don't worry yourself sick about it.
If you're afraid of chemicals, then don't use them. Learn to spot the sign and be vigilant.
The best idea I heard was encasing your pack in a plastic bag at night (for protecting your pack).
Unfortunately, this will do nothing to protect your body at night while you're sleeping, which is when the bugs feed.

If you aren't afraid of chemicals, then Permethrin on your pack and bag, or DEET on your body, has proven in the past to work.

Buen Camino!

Sawyer Permethrin spray is available at every REI in the U.S. and I have heard it is available along the El Camino. I have used it frequently on my clothing here in Northern California to prevent tick bites. I have not had any reaction or noticed any ill effects from clothing sprayed with the stuff and it has prevented insects from crawling on my clothing. One of the few times I forgot to spray my clothes I got a tick bite at Point Reyes National seashore just north of San Francisco and showed signs of Lyme disease which I had to be treated for with antibiotics. One time for lack of any other insecticide available I sprayed Permethrin on some little black ants on my living room carpet. It killed the ants on contact, but my wife's cat had a reaction to the spray, got sick and almost died. She was not happy about that. I have also sprayed it on black widow spiders in my garage and it did not kill them on contact, but eventually they died after several hours. I believe Permethrin spray is composed of Chrysanthemum flowers but I could be wrong about that.

I believe Permethrin spray is composed of Chrysanthemum flowers but I could be wrong about that.
Pyrethrum is the plant extract, and my recollection is that there are pyrethim based products sold in France as insecticides. Of course, one would not expect insecticides to necessarily be effective against arachnids, and equally one should observe the handling precautions when applying any permethrin based product. Cats and fish are particularly at risk, and they work on any insect, including the beneficial ones like bees.

Edited to correct a spelling mistake.

Last edited:
Thanks in advance
Sallyann
I was at a camino talk in our Local Cotswold store in Belfast and they had something for bed bugs. I cant remember the name but I would imagine that if one Cotswold has it then they all have it. Just go in and ask

I think I bought this from the Internet. Or we are just off J26 of the M5 if you want to spray your clothes

I use the life systems spray. I'm a chemist and I feel that any insecticide would act as a deterrent to bugs. It may not be full proof but I would imagine they won't want to crawl over a sprayed pack or bedsheet if they can go to someone else.

I use the life systems spray which I put on my pack, hiking trainers and lifesystems bedsheet. I've no connection with any of the suppliers, I just like precautions and feel it's responsible to do so. The lifesystems bug sheet is a light wee thing, and I respect it before each Camino trip. I also put my pack in a bin liner at night.

I did see a live bed bug on the floor in an albergue last year, carrion de le condes, so I packed up and left. Follow protocols, and accept the rest.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was at a camino talk in our Local Cotswold store in Belfast and they had something for bed bugs. I cant remember the name but I would imagine that if one Cotswold has it then they all have it. Just go in and ask

Lifesystems permethrin spray I suspect.

the El Camino.

One time for lack of any other insecticide available I sprayed Permethrin on some little black ants on my living room carpet. It killed the ants on contact, but my wife's cat had a reaction to the spray, got sick and almost died
Please, not the "el camino", the camino will do. It doesn't need two articles. Also, when using any pesticide, read instructions. It is well known, and labbled, that cats should be kept away from permethryn, and that it should not be poured into the water system either.

For what it is worth. We three did not use chemicals last year on the Camino. We stayed in every sort of establishment from hotels to small albergues. Our only defense was to check the mattress first thing upon entering a room. It worked. We did not bring home any unwanted travelers.

I'm the canary in the cage when it comes to bedbugs. In spite of every precaution - permethrin treated backpack, pack put into plastic bag every night, careful inspection of premises - I was bitten again this camino, woke up in a very nice hotel in Ourense with about 8 bites. My companion staying in the same room was not bitten. We inspected my bed and found what we thought was a dead bedbug. I told the management (we were staying two nights) and they treated the room. We re-inspected and could not find anything, so elected to stay in the same room that night. No more bites, but I did cover myself in Deet, which is my new best friend on the Camino. I used it every night thereafter and had no more bites.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
... I was bitten again this camino, woke up in a very nice hotel in Ourense with about 8 bites. My companion staying in the same room was not bitten. ...

S/he might have been bitten also - but simply didn't had an allergic reaction to the bite(s).
Buen camino sin chinches, SY

Hi everyone- I thought I would ask here instead of starting a new post (since many of you already have experience with it). Permethrin: I've read the arguments for or against it, it's efficacy and/or is it a placebo. I hate being bit by bugs (I get nasty infections as a response to spiders and some mosquitoes), so I just don't want to mess around nor take any chances. Whether spraying everything with permethrin is an insurance strategy or an old wives tale... I'm going for it! So my question: WHAT did you spray besides your pack and sleeping bag? I started to go to town tonight -- pack, little pack, travel pillow, hats. Waiting for it to dry on the back porch, I re-read the bottle and caught a sentence I didn't see before (in my defense, the writing is microscopic on the bottle; I had to take my glasses off to read it). "Do not spray on underwear, undergarments, or hats." Uh oh. So, what else do you spray? I was going to douse everything -- shirts, jackets, pants, socks, buffs, etc. Am I going overboard? Or is that a sensible (24) ounces of prevention? Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everyone- I thought I would ask here instead of starting a new post (since many of you already have experience with it). Permethrin: I've read the arguments for or against it, it's efficacy and/or is it a placebo. I hate being bit by bugs (I get nasty infections as a response to spiders and some mosquitoes), so I just don't want to mess around nor take any chances. Whether spraying everything with permethrin is an insurance strategy or an old wives tale... I'm going for it! So my question: WHAT did you spray besides your pack and sleeping bag? I started to go to town tonight -- pack, little pack, travel pillow, hats. Waiting for it to dry on the back porch, I re-read the bottle and caught a sentence I didn't see before (in my defense, the writing is microscopic on the bottle; I had to take my glasses off to read it). "Do not spray on underwear, undergarments, or hats." Uh oh. So, what else do you spray? I was going to douse everything -- shirts, jackets, pants, socks, buffs, etc. Am I going overboard? Or is that a sensible (24) ounces of prevention? Thanks!

Whether its proven to work or not, I used it as a precaution, The only time I was bitten is when I wasn't using my sleeping bag.
But I sprayed only the outside of my sleeping bag, and not my liner at all, I didn't like the idea of it being next to my skin.

Permithrin's primary effectiveness is not a repellent, but as a bug killer. Deet is the best of the repellents available, but I do not recall the lowest effective concentration... probably under a 50% concentration. Deet can be applied to clothing and fabrics, as long as they tolerate deet. Some nylons and synthetics are damaged by direct contact with deet, so do a test if you choose to go this route. Deet has an effective life of 8-12 hours for aggressive insects, and about 36 hours for insects sensitive to deet.

I react to some insect bites, but I am not allergic. I have yet to experience a bedbug interaction and I do not use any real insect repellent or insecticide on Camino. In the wild while backpacking, deet and I are great companions during mosquito and tick seasons. :)

On 2 of my 4 Camino's I have found DEAD bedbugs in my Boots under the insert and on the tulle inside my back pack when I opened it up to put it on my bed when I arrived at my next Albergue. To me, this means I picked up these hitch-hikers the night before but the Permithrin took care of them during the day as I hiked toward the next stop. I spray everything I wear and my bag and tulle. When I arrive back home I have pre-placed large black bags in my garage that I put everything in (including the clothes I'm wearing), take a hot shower then put these black sealed bags on my driveway for three days in the hot sun.... I don't want bugs in my house........

Thanks everyone. I was afraid to pose the question last night thinking it might re-start the permethrin vs. none argument that I read in all of the other threads. I appreciate Anamiri and HalfDome's response that you spray and don't have problems. I've already hit my pack, small pack, hats (on accident), and travel pillow. I'm going to follow what HalfDome said and just Rambo everything else I will wear except bras and underwear (since the bottle says not to spray on undergarments). I printed the Yates De-Bed-Bugging resource and gave it to my husband so he's ready when I return in May. I guess I was just wondering how many others spray more than their sleeping bag and liner. I'm going for it... even if it doesn't work for some people. DEET isn't an option for me (thanks for the tip, DaveBugg). See you on the trail next week ~ Buen Camino!

Thanks everyone. I was afraid to pose the question last night thinking it might re-start the permethrin vs. none argument that I read in all of the other threads. I appreciate Anamiri and HalfDome's response that you spray and don't have problems. I've already hit my pack, small pack, hats (on accident), and travel pillow. I'm going to follow what HalfDome said and just Rambo everything else I will wear except bras and underwear (since the bottle says not to spray on undergarments). I printed the Yates De-Bed-Bugging resource and gave it to my husband so he's ready when I return in May. I guess I was just wondering how many others spray more than their sleeping bag and liner. I'm going for it... even if it doesn't work for some people. DEET isn't an option for me (thanks for the tip, DaveBugg). See you on the trail next week ~ Buen Camino!
I omitted to say I also sprayed my pack thoroughly. Good to know it will kill them over time.
With pack transportation I guess there is a chance of un-infested bags coming into contact with infested ones in the vehicle as they travel, so packs with bedbugs are not only walked to the next destination, but groups of them could be at risk if using transport. I will continue to spray mine.

I omitted to say I also sprayed my pack thoroughly. Good to know it will kill them over time.
With pack transportation I guess there is a chance of un-infested bags coming into contact with infested ones in the vehicle as they travel, so packs with bedbugs are not only walked to the next destination, but groups of them could be at risk if using transport. I will continue to spray mine.
I sprayed mine so much last night, I was afraid it wouldn't dry (it did).

Just be careful and do not get the spray on you. Wet on you is not good per directions on the bottle. Once dry it says it’s ok.

https://www.epa.gov/bedbugs/pesticides-control-bed-bugs
Neem oil is a much safer and very effective product, and EPA-approved for Permethrin-resistant bugs. I can only imagine how many along the multiple Caminos are already resistant because of everyone spraying with it. I just ordered this and will spray exterior of our bags/luggage prior to walking before leaving Porto. (Getting small spray bottles to pack with our liquids, 3 of us carrying 2 bottles each, one for each person traveling in our group.)

Cirkil RTU Bedbug Spray 32 Oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KY2BOQ8/?tag=casaivar02-20

I am also going to dust the interior of our luggage with diatomaceous earth (D.E.), a very effective mechanical insecticide to which they can't develop resistance. Then, inside the luggage will go a 20-gal. ziploc (Hefty brand), then our clothing inside that bag with additional freezer Ziplocs holding our clothing. Going to take plastic garbage bags for putting daypacks in at night as other poster suggested.

I am more worried about picking up hitchhikers with our luggage transfers as had been suggested across this forum, and taking these buggers home. It would be a nightmare to eradicate. I may even garbage-bag our luggage before tagging for transport to almost guarantee we won't pick them up that way! Lol!

We will not be typical pilgrims, opting to stay in hotels instead of alburges, and skipping sections in order to fit in what we want to see in 2 weeks. Bedbugs are not exclusive to the alburges, and I just want to protect ourselves as much as possible without using synthetic neurotoxins that may not work depending on resistant strains. We use both neem oil and D.E. in our organic gardening.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.