• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed bugs

Possumsocks

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi this is my First Camino
Starting 6th May 2018
I've been reading about treating my sleeping bag for bed bugs. Is this necessary? How do I go about this?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, there is plenty of comment on bedbugs on Camino, but they exist in the worlds best hotels.
In my five Caminos, I have never encountered one bed bug.
I always check my mattress, giving special attention to any creases. If available, I always put on the mattress cover, then my sleep sack or sleeping bag.
Never put your pack on your bunk.
Never lose sleep over bed bugs. If they are there, you will know it the next morning. Bites are painless...results are not.
Some folks swearby sprays, etc.

@Possumsocks - from the name I assume another Australian? If so, to treat your sleeping bag, the easiest is to go to a camping store and buy some Equip Debugger - instructions for use on the packet.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Paddy Palin in Sydney has a good range, I also soaked my PJ's and pillow slip. I think the bottle cost about $20 - think of it as an insurance policy. I never had issues with bed bugs.

You won’t stop bed bugs on the Camino. The combined efforts of millions of pilgrims and hospitaleros has failed at doing that. You can keep from taking than home. Treat your equipment with permethrin. It will kill bed bugs as you walk. Read Forum threads on actions when you get home. Don’t ruin your pilgrimage worrying. They are there even when you do not see them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, there is plenty of comment on bedbugs on Camino, but they exist in the worlds best hotels.
I always check my mattress, giving special attention to any creases. If available, I always put on the mattress cover, then my sleep sack or sleeping bag.
Never lose sleep over bed bugs. If they are there, you will know it the next morning. Bites are painless...results are not.
I spray my backpack, sleeping bag, and fitted sheet and never have had a problem and yet my traveling companions who didn't spray had them and they were close to me.

Now dont shoot the messenger. I have been told that if you put a drop of Vick on your exposed parts the bedbugs will give you a wide berth as they dont like the smell. I have never tried it myself but then, I have never seen a bedbug in my life. The hospitalera in Cizur Menor also recommends putting it on your feet each morning to prevent blisters. I heard its a good vapour rub for your chest too :)

Possomsocks, I have walked four Camino's and have had zero bed bug issues.

My personal choice is not to spray my gear/sleeping bag in chemicals or pesticides which may or may not work even if you do encounter bed bugs. The idea of having chemicals in that close of proximity to my body is not for me.

I will agree that encountering bed bugs is strictly 'luck of the draw' and they are not a problem until they are.

I have always walked starting in early April, so I wonder if the cooler weather in which I have walked makes them less of an issue versus hotter summer weather?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Possumsocks - from the name I assume another Australian? If so, to treat your sleeping bag, the easiest is to go to a camping store and buy some Equip Debugger - instructions for use on the packet.
At the moment, Mountain Designs are having a massive sale here in Perth and I bought the Equip Debugger treatment yesterday for 14.98AUD INSTEAD OF 24.50AUD....Very good value indeed and it does work very well, having used it prior to all my Caminos and long distance walks. (Just for interest, I am one of those unfortunate people who are highly allergic to these little bugs)

Possomsocks, I have walked four Camino's and have had zero bed bug issues.

My personal choice is not to spray my gear/sleeping bag in chemicals or pesticides which may or may not work even if you do encounter bed bugs. The idea of having chemicals in that close of proximity to my body is not for me.

I will agree that encountering bed bugs is strictly 'luck of the draw' and they are not a problem until they are.

I have always walked starting in early April, so I wonder if the cooler weather in which I have walked makes them less of an issue versus hotter summer weather?
Yes, same here. Never had bedbug issues or met other pilgrims with bedbug issues, and that's on multiple Caminos going back seven years, in all seasons from April to September.
I too cannot imagine lying in a bag or wearing clothing soaked in poisonous chemicals, some of which have been shown to cause cancer.
I'm not saying it's not possible to encounter bedbugs, but definitely a future pilgrim should not worry about them. It's more important to carry less and walk healthy and to be picky about what auberge you stay in. Keep your pack and clothing and equipment clean and organized and inspect them outside in the sunlight.

Last edited:
@RJM If you have never met someone with bedbug bites, then take yourself to the Confraternity of St James albergue in Rabanal in September and watch as pilgrims check in. The Confraternity has a routine to debug anyone with bedbug bites. When I was there last September there were at least five people whose gear and persons had to be treated. And that was only on one day.

I did not encounter any bedbugs on the first three times I walked the Camino Frances, or the Norte or the Le Puy or the Madrid. But the last three times I've walked the Camino Frances I have.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, same here. Never had bedbug issues or met other pilgrims with bedbug issues, and that's on multiple Caminos going back seven years, in all seasons from April to September.
I too cannot imagine lying in a bag or wearing clothing soaked in poisonous chemicals, some of which have been shown to cause cancer.
I'm not saying it's not possible to encounter bedbugs, but definitely a future pilgrim should not worry about them. It's more important to carry less and walk healthy and to be picky about what auberge you stay in. Keep your pack and clothing and equipment clean and organized and inspect them outside in the sunlight.
Apologies for being argumentative here, but, if one is Allergic to the bites of Bed Bugs and other bitey creatures, one Has to be aware and has to take precautions well beforehand. Also, it is NOT a matter of being "Picky about what Albergue' one stays in.....bed bugs are a well established fact of life these days, be it in the lowliest of places to stay or be it in the very best places. I too Do Not like the idea of using Chemicals but, if it means that I will have a modicum of self protection, then I must do this. The anti-biotics I have to take when my body reacts adversely to these bites, is far worse than the initial treatment of my gear.

Two serious and passionate replies to my noting that I observed no bedbug activity on the Camino and looking around this forum there seems to be quite a bit of similar responses. An almost how dare you say that air about it. I am beginning to believe that some members hold stock in chemical pesticide companies. :)
Nonetheless I will remain staunch and repeat that over the years and Caminos I saw none and I do not want to frighten the uninitiated researching on this forum by making it an issue.

Don’t ruin your pilgrimage worrying. They are there even when you do not see them.
Absolutely correct! I got bitten at the Marriott Hotel, downtown San Diego and then again (years later) at a very upscale airbnb in Paris, and yes once on the camino. Follow the basic rules and guidelines, don't put your packs on the beds. If you have any critters hitching a ride with you, YOU just spread them!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been bit! But I would also never soak my clothes, sleeping bags etc in those chemicals. Mostly because few people say they work and they are harsh chemicals. Folks know your own bodies. Allergic reactions, talk to your doc before you hit the road carry necessary precautions, if the chemicals don't bother you, use them. There simply is no one correct answer for everybody!

I have been bit! But I would also never soak my clothes, sleeping bags etc in those chemicals. Mostly because few people say they work and they are harsh chemicals. Folks know your own bodies. Allergic reactions, talk to your doc before you hit the road carry necessary precautions, if the chemicals don't bother you, use them. There simply is no one correct answer for everybody!
I agree with you Victoria 65...we all know our own bodies, and we, each and everyone of us, has every right to choose ....there is no right or wrong answer to this question.

Apologies for being argumentative here, but, if one is Allergic to the bites of Bed Bugs and other bitey creatures, one Has to be aware and has to take precautions well beforehand.
How would one know they are allergic to bedbug bites before being bitten by them?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In my 2 Caminos (granted, the last one was 4 years ago) I never saw a bedbug. And I am very bedbug wary when I travel --- checking bedbugs.com before I book a hotel, for example. If you are allergic or sensitive, then I suppose it would be prudent to use a repellent. But personally I'd rather risk the bedbugs than sleep in chemicals. My biggest concern would be bringing them home with me and infesting my house. So I'll be de-bugging my bag and gear as soon as I am home. But while I'm on the Camino, I'll just take my chances.

How would one know they are allergic to bedbug bites before being bitten by them?
One doesn't. My opinion/guess is that if someone has walked the Camino Frances several times in recent years, and "has not been bitten", they are probably not allergic to them. I have been bitten a number of times but only seen the bugs once. The reaction I got on that occasion was unique enough that I have fairly good confidence that the same reaction on other occasions has been to (unseen) bedbugs.

Being allergic to other things does not mean you will be allergic to bedbug bites.

Two serious and passionate replies to my noting that I observed no bedbug activity on the Camino... I am beginning to believe that some members hold stock in chemical pesticide companies. :) Nonetheless I will remain staunch and repeat that over the years and Caminos I saw none and I do not want to frighten the uninitiated researching on this forum by making it an issue.

I know you were joking (sort of) about the stock. I just want to point out that not all of us who believe bedbugs are common on the Camino, are advocating use of pesticides, especially when used as repellents. However, I would never encourage someone to walk the Camino Frances if they were not prepared for the adventure of the wild beasts along the way.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One doesn't. My opinion/guess is that if someone has walked the Camino Frances several times in recent years, and "has not been bitten", they are probably not allergic to them.

I was being facetious, wondering how @susanawee proposes that « those who are allergic be aware and take precautions well before hand ». One has to be exposed and bitten to find out one is allergic, and by then, well, it’s too late, isn’t it? I for one have yet to hear about a test we can run at home pre-departure. But you knew that C. ;)

Hi, I did my Camino in 2016 ( not my last though). I didn't encounter a single bed bug, although an Italian girl I met did get bitten)
Most of the place I stayed gave us disposable mattress and pillow covers. Take basic hygiene precautions and enjoy beautiful Spain.

Bedbugs.com????

Thats the Hasbro (toy makers) official website. Still, its probably a more reliable source of information than Booking.com o_O

Sorry....that's bedbugregistry.com It's a good place to start!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A bedbug story. Young niece walked from SJPdP to SdC starting mid-late Sept in 2016. It was part of a gap year and she arrived in SJPdP with too much stuff. Slept the night in a top bunk in an albergue. Found out later the albergue was having a bad infestation that year. Niece parcelled up her excess stuff next morning and posted it to SdC. Walked the camino. Was so excited in SdC to pick up her parcel and get change of clothes etc. that she sat on her albergue bunk and opened the parcel straight away. First thing to crawl out was...you guessed it. Galvanised into instant action she bundled up bedding and rushed to hospitalero to sort it.

Hi, I did my Camino in 2016 ( not my last though). I didn't encounter a single bed bug, although an Italian girl I met did get bitten)
Most of the place I stayed gave us disposable mattress and pillow covers. Take basic hygiene precautions and enjoy beautiful Spain.
Hygiene has almost nothing to do with bed bugs. An albergue can be very clean and still have bed bugs. A Pilgrim can be very clean and still be bitten. The disposable linens do nothing and may simply provide a bed bug a better toehold. Even close examination of a place is not perfect protection, and moving on at 6 p.m. when you have found the last bed in town is a grim prospect.

Chemicals work. And they will keep you from taking bed bugs home. Your family will thank you!

Good question. But that being said, some people DO have a histamine reaction to a variety of different insect bites. Some reactions can be rather severe and should be prepared for. Me, I just scratch like mad for three days...Nasty little bites

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
People adopt a lot of routines that provide dubious benefit, but give the impression of great diligence.

At the Casa de la Calera albergue in Salamanca, April 2017, all the pilgrims were required to go through a prescribed routine:
(1) Remove all things we would need for the night and place them in a drawstring plastic bag that was provided. That was all we were allowed to take upstairs to the dorm.
(2) Place entire backpack in a larger drawstring plastic bag that was also provided, and put this into a locker in the main downstairs room.

I did what I was told, without argument, because clearly the volunteer hospitaleros were just following instructions. However, I thought it was a useless exercise at best, and consumed a lot of fancy plastic bags. We emptied our packs in the main room while we rummaged around selecting things to go upstairs. The bags were not tightly closed so bedbugs could still get in and out, and the things that were likely contaminated were still taken upstairs.

The only benefit would have been that the backpacks did not clutter the upstairs sleeping area. However, the downstairs area was certainly more cluttered instead.

I wonder if they are still doing this.

'The idea of having chemicals in close proximity to my body is not for me' - just to be a tiny bit facetious .here....do you use deodorants, shampoos, soap etc....all pf these contain quite harmful chemicals which are very bad for our bodies and yet, we put them directly onto said bodies

jere....
I live in Alberta and currently there is a battle getting a pipeline built to the west coast in BC from Alberta oil producers.
Environmentalists compared the oil being transported in terms as being as harmful as nuclear waste. So you comparing deodorant as being in the same category as pesticides to deal with bed bugs is kind of at the same level of ridiculousness.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

In 2016, I did the CF, staying mainly in albergues - No bedbugs. In 2017 I did the CF again, no bedbugs. But at the end of our Camino we drove to Finisterre and stayed in really nice accommodation for a treat after our Camino, and I got eaten alive. There were 4 of us, I was the only one to get bitten. I live on antihistamines so it may have helped the clear the bites up more quickly. I can attest they are itchy!
I sprayed my pack and sleeping bag both times, but it was so hot that I mainly didn't use the sleeping bag anyway.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.