• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed bugs

Lucy Longpath

Lucy Longpath
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2015), Puy Way (2016), North Wales Pilgrims Way (2017), Camino Vezelay(2018) &(2019)
I am wondering if this is a bed bug. Seen in La Souterraine on another bed in the room where we slept and reported to the owners of the gite.
1112.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,

I would say No. The ones I have encountered did not look like that! I believe he is innocent :OD

Have you discovered any bites that came with him??

/BP

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

I would say No. The ones I have encountered did not look like that! I believe he is innocent :OD

Have you discovered any bites that came with him??

/BP
Thank you. I am glad you don't think it is one. Are bed bugs bigger than this one do you think? I saw some bugs that were bigger than this on the Camino Frances in 2015.
No, he could not bite us as he got put out of the window, but there were no bites that night although we did not sleep on that bed.

Scale and therefore sizing is a bit of a challenge when viewing someone else's photo. As you have a smart phone try search Bed Bug in Google pictures?

It's likely what you encountered was a shield bug but I'm no entomologist.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hmmm, I looked up sheild bug images. They are also called stink bugs and look very "prehistoric" with armour looking backs, longish legs and are quite a bit larger than a bedbug. I've seen them outdoors before at my home. The OP's photo looks much different to me. Its shape reminds me of a bedbug, but I can't see any legs to confirm. I've seen four bedbugs on various caminos and I always describe them to people as looking kind of like an apple seed in size, shape and color, but I'm no entomologist either.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bed bugs are kind of rust coloured. That little fellow looks like an ordinary tiny beetle to me.

An old overland travellers’ trick from the late 60s/early 70s ....
A softened bar of soap will catch a bed bug that’s beating a hasty retreat.

I used to inspect matresses armed with our soap. I showed one I’d caught to the owner of a privately owned place in Santiago, who denied it was possible.

Shame ... it was a lovely room.

Someone was looking out for us ... we found two beds for the night, even though it was 9pm. :)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back