• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips and Experiences in Dealing with Bed Bugs During Travel

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There is a wealth of information about the little critters on this forum. Enter 'bed bugs' into the search box at the top right and you will have instant access to most of it. But one good tip is to hang your backpack overnight from an S-hook on the frame of the bunk.

Welcome to the forum! We haven't had too many bed bug threads in the past 3 years, but I expect we'll be back to normal all too soon!

The tag "bed bugs" has been added at the top of this thread under the title. Click on the tag and you'll find lots of tips.

In particular, here is some good advice from @SYates about de-bedbugging your gear after the camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They are a reality on the Camino, but it seems to have gotten a little bit better since the covid years from what I saw last year (could be a wrong impression of course).

I like to put my backpack into a large, closed plastic bag at night (a drybag is even better because less noisy) and as far away from the beds as possible.

Everything that touched the bed (sleepwear, liner/sleeping bag) goes into a closed dry bag before putting it back into the backpack. So in case I notice bites during the day, I only have to treat the content of the small "bed bag" and not all my gear. Valuables (phone, wallet ect.) that come with me into the bed are put in a small drybag.

Before going home everything is treated as if infested (laundered/put in hot dryer/sprayed) to avoid bringing them home. (If in doubt, it goes into the dumpster or stays in an airtight bag in the basement for two years...).

I've been on the Francés four times now, and despite being bitten several times and witnessing several quite massive infestations, thankfully managed to never bring them home.

Everyone has different techniques, that one works for me.

They are a reality on the Camino, but it seems to have gotten a little bit better since the covid years from what I saw last year (could be a wrong impression of course).

I like to put my backpack into a large, closed plastic bag at night (a drybag is even better because less noisy) and as far away from the beds as possible.

Everything that touched the bed (sleepwear, liner/sleeping bag) goes into a closed dry bag before putting it back into the backpack. So in case I notice bites during the day, I only have to treat the content of the small "bed bag" and not all my gear. Valuables (phone, wallet ect.) that come with me into the bed are put in a small drybag.

Before going home everything is treated as if infested (laundered/put in hot dryer/sprayed) to avoid bringing them home. (If in doubt, it goes into the dumpster or stays in an airtight bag in the basement for two years...).

I've been on the Francés four times now, and despite being bitten several times and witnessing several quite massive infestations, thankfully managed to never bring them home.

Everyone has different techniques, that one works for me.
Yes, I try not to get bitten, but have been twice. It doesnt dampen my enthusiasm for the Camino at all. But it makes me treat my pack thoroughly so any stragglers die on the very long flight back.
I dont want them in my house.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
having previously experienced the ability of bed bugs to travel home in one’s luggage,
This is what I am most concerned about, bringing them home. I know people who have spent thousands of dollars to get rid of them, plus the hassle of buying new furniture, etc…I have been bitten at least three times over the years, but luckily my only reaction is a lot of raised red spots. I do the typical de-bugging routine when I am bit on the camino, but whether I think I’ve been bitten or not, I always do the same thing when I get home.

When I arrive home, the person meeting me at the airport brings a clean set of clothes. I put my camino clothes and my backpack in a big black plastic bag and leave them in the garage. On a hot day, I put the bag out in the sun. I actually do this for several days just to be extra sure.

I’ve gotten bed bugs on popular caminos (Norte, Primitivo) and on solitary caminos (Ebro), so I think they are just a fact of life that we should be prepared to deal with if we get bitten.

p.s. Welcome to the forum, @AmandaBethan!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've been on six Camino's and no bed bug issues so far. And before anyone says I just don't react to them, I have encountered them on another non Camino holiday and I most definitely do.
I can't claim any superior knowledge of how to avoid them, so it is a little bit of luck involved. Bed bugs exist obviously, but I would hate anyone to not walk because of the small chance they may encounter them.
My own preference is not to saturate my gear in any of the preventative sprays others use.
My gear goes straight to the garage when arriving home, and then to a giant bag and then straight to the laundry.
My pack is always stored in my garage. I'll leave it the sun and our very cold winters here do the rest.

I had a horrible bout of them on the del Norte this fall, third week in September. My husband, who slept in the bed next to me in the pension we splurged on (that I am sure was the origin despite not seeing any signs on the bed seams etc (I always check)) never reacted at all!! On discovering the itchy large red bites in clusters in several areas of my body, we went to a laundromat in the place we stopped at and also paid to stay somewhere in a hotel but were very careful where we placed anything , dried everything in high heat (which resulted in my husbands pant zipper melting so I guess that was hot enough LOL!) then I showered well, covered myself in permethrin cream I got in a pharmacy, put on the nicley heated clothes then heated the rest of the clothes. I was scared but impressed that the merino wool shirts and compression socks I was using did NOT shrink at all since they were dry when they went into the dryer! That was a real blessing and good to know - that it is only when the merino is wet that it will shrink in the high heat! The remaining bites slowly healed with the help of Benadryl over days but no new bites appeared so I think I got them all. My only regret and plan for the next Camino is that I will spray my pack in the inside before I go as this was still a worry and I appreciate the idea of a hook on the beds to keep the packs off the ground, a small rope could also be easy and light and doable. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are there more bedbugs in summer/autumn than in Spring?
I think that there are definitely fewer at the start of the "pilgrim season" especially in places that close down in the winter. We are the ones who are transporting them along the Camino so more pilgrims = more bed bugs.

good morning world, having previously experienced the ability of bed bugs to travel home in one’s luggage, ….
Amanda
Not everyone reacts to bedbugs (I do and have) which is how the little vermin travel too,— with unsuspecting transporters.
I have a 're-entry' procedure. I have a bag of clean clothes to change into in a bag at my sisters. When coming home I phone her and she drops the bag off at a friends who has a sauna. I go straight to the sauna and lay everything out on the benches, clothes , shoes, pack, and gear crank the heat up. Change and go home leaving everything in the sauna for a few hours.
Alternatively, put your pack, shoes, anything that can’t go in a dryer, into a big garbage bag and put in the sun for a day, or, if no hot sun, put them in a freezer.
I would hate to bring bed bugs home!
Buen Camino

I had a horrible bout of them on the del Norte this fall, third week in September. My husband, who slept in the bed next to me in the pension we splurged on (that I am sure was the origin despite not seeing any signs on the bed seams etc (I always check)) never reacted at all!! On discovering the itchy large red bites in clusters in several areas of my body, we went to a laundromat in the place we stopped at and also paid to stay somewhere in a hotel but were very careful where we placed anything , dried everything in high heat (which resulted in my husbands pant zipper melting so I guess that was hot enough LOL!) then I showered well, covered myself in permethrin cream I got in a pharmacy, put on the nicley heated clothes then heated the rest of the clothes. I was scared but impressed that the merino wool shirts and compression socks I was using did NOT shrink at all since they were dry when they went into the dryer! That was a real blessing and good to know - that it is only when the merino is wet that it will shrink in the high heat! The remaining bites slowly healed with the help of Benadryl over days but no new bites appeared so I think I got them all. My only regret and plan for the next Camino is that I will spray my pack in the inside before I go as this was still a worry and I appreciate the idea of a hook on the beds to keep the packs off the ground, a small rope could also be easy and light and doable. Buen Camino!
Thanks so much for sharing your experience, it is invaluable particularly around Merino wool when wet, I will keep you all posted

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is what I am most concerned about, bringing them home. I know people who have spent thousands of dollars to get rid of them, plus the hassle of buying new furniture, etc…I have been bitten at least three times over the years, but luckily my only reaction is a lot of raised red spots. I do the typical de-bugging routine when I am bit on the camino, but whether I think I’ve been bitten or not, I always do the same thing when I get home.

When I arrive home, the person meeting me at the airport brings a clean set of clothes. I put my camino clothes and my backpack in a big black plastic bag and leave them in the garage. On a hot day, I put the bag out in the sun. I actually do this for several days just to be extra sure.

I’ve gotten bed bugs on popular caminos (Norte, Primitivo) and on solitary caminos (Ebro), so I think they are just a fact of life that we should be prepared to deal with if we get bitten.

Thankyou, I am very excited and want to bless the bedbugs too, I’m sure they exist for a reason. 🤣🤣

I received over 40+ bites on my first camino in Ages…in a twin room in an Albergue. My sister did not get bitten at all. I was also bitten twice in the most expensive hotel in Viana. In Ages, the bugs came from cracks near the ceiling wood. At the hotel they were in the mattress. It was my first experience with bedbugs. Luckily, I had read enough so all my clothes were in plastic save what I wore to bed. All my clothes were sprayed with permethrin, but it won’t prevent the critters from biting you. I had a terrible reaction in Ages. It took almost 3 weeks for the bites to clear.
Now, I take la low dose of an antihistamine pill the entire Camino and up it to a full dose if I get bitten. I also carry and use a topical antihistamine if needed.

I have used a Deet wipe daily on the outside of our bags if we send them ahead, as well as before we check into any flight/bus or train. They can crawl into your luggage on any form of transport. Deet won’t kill then, but they repel the buggers. I spray the inside of all forms of luggage/bags with permethrin as well as the sleeping bag. I react very quickly to a bed-bug bite so I know when I wake up, if I have been bitten. If it happens I isolate those clothes. Everything else is in plastic, even a suitcase is in a large plastic garbage bag. Sometimes, I throw out the clothes tightly sealed plastic. Depends on what Inwas wearing to bed.

I agree with Trecile regarding that their might be less bugs floating around early in the season. I am a magnet for these critters but have never been bitten between January-May save once on an Alsa bus. However, between September-early November , I have been bitten in various locations including SJPdP, Ages, Viana, Villafranca del Bierzo, Palas de Rei and OPedrouzo.

good morning world, having previously experienced the ability of bed bugs to travel home in one’s luggage, I am mindful of the potential to come up against them again.
I would welcome experiences and advice from the forum please
Buen camino
Amanda
We have walked 3 fall caminos. When we get home we leave our packs in the garage all winter!!! Then they come into the laundry room to be laundered and dried at high heat.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
good morning world, having previously experienced the ability of bed bugs to travel home in one’s luggage, I am mindful of the potential to come up against them again.
Buen camino
Amanda
At the end of my Camino I found a laundromat with a commercial dryer and blasted everything including my pack. Heat kills them.

Having said that I never found any evidence of them. But I have had a run in with the little %#>> before.

There might be fewer in early spring, than in late fall, but you should take the same precautions. I was bitten in March - probably in a private accommodation that had just opened for the season. That bedbug must have been quite hungry after a long winter fast.
I had heard they can live a long time, so I googled.😳
Screenshot_20230104-144355~2.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’ve never understood the ‘hang your pack from the bed-frame’ idea.

What’s to stop an adventurous bed bug from strolling across/dropping on to your pack from the bed frame?

Keep your pack in a dry bag/black bag, well away from the bed!
Nothing will stop them. You're right. May give people peace of mind having their packs up off the floor?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only ones I've seen were climbing up the albergue walls in the morning after the lights were turned on. If my bunk is located against a wall I always pull it away a few inches.

To add a rider to that, to be 100% sure, you could leave the stuff in the black plastic bag 2 weeks, then do it again because their eggs take around that long to hatch.

I’ve never understood the ‘hang your pack from the bed-frame’ idea.

What’s to stop an adventurous bed bug from strolling across/dropping on to your pack from the bed frame?

Keep your pack in a dry bag/black bag, well away from the bed!
Because, contrary to popular belief, they don't necessarily live in the bed or the bedding. They live in the various nooks and crannies in the room e.g. under windowsills and in between floorboards. That is why you often see them splatted on the wall and that is why older buildings tend to be more prone to persistent infestations. The floor is a particularly bad place to leave a backpack if there are bedbugs around.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To add a rider to that, to be 100% sure, you could leave the stuff in the black plastic bag 2 weeks, then do it again because their eggs take around that long to hatch.
The heat kills the eggs too.
From @davebugg's excellent bed bug post:
Locate a dryer which can reach above 130F/55c. Although adult bedbugs, nymphs, and eggs are killed at temperatures above 115f/46.2c., the lower the temperature, the longer the treatment time will take.

Because, contrary to popular belief, they don't necessarily live in the bed or the bedding. They live in the various nooks and crannies in the room e.g. under windowsills and in between floorboards. That is why you often see them splatted on the wall and that is why older buildings tend to be more prone to persistent infestations. The floor is a particularly bad place to leave a backpack if there are bedbugs around.

No … but the bed is where they’re headed … for obvious reasons.

PS I was catching bed bugs on soggy soap 50 years ago …

Carry a sturdy lightweight trash bin bag big enough for your backpack and when you get to an albergue put your backpack in the bin bag before you place it on the floor or hang off a bunk post (never on the bunk proper). Cinch up the top with a twist tie or the drawstrings within the bin bag if they have them. Doing that should prevent any bedbugs from hitching a ride in your pack. Mind you, in the morning before you roll it up and put in a stuff sack or in the pack, inspect your sleeping bag or bag liner, quilt etc for bedbugs. It only takes a few minutes and do it in a lighted area of the albergue if others are still sleeping.
The bin bag also doubles as a waterproof liner for your backpack and you can use it as a laundry bag too, if you go to a laundromat.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was scared but impressed that the merino wool shirts and compression socks I was using did NOT shrink at all since they were dry when they went into the dryer! That was a real blessing and good to know - that it is only when the merino is wet that it will shrink in the high heat!
Oh, that's good to know. A lot of my clothing is merino and I was worried about this.

Buen camino
Amanda
Pretreating the outside of your backpack, your shoes, and sleeping bag with Permethrin will help prevent those unwanted hitchhikers. I also use a pack liner- a plastic trash compactor will work for this. And, when setting my pack down on the floor for the night, I set it inside a large plastic bag. I perfected this system after an unpleasant bedbug encounter and it has worked for me for many Caminos since. Upon return home, I’ve heard of folks enclosing the full backpack inside a black plastic bag and leaving it in the sun for a few days. I’ve never done this so cannot speak to whether it is effective. Bedbugs are hardy creatures and hard to kill so prevention is key.

Just to counter all the alarm, I have never been bitten on any of my caminos. I haven't even SEEN a bed bug! However, this year I did pick up a really bad case of toenail fungus...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have been on the Camino for over seven months at this point, and I have seen not one bed bug, nor slept anywhere with any other pilgrim bitten by one. I heard exactly one report from one pilgrim about one bed bug in one bed ; but that's so little evidence, it could easily have been some different insect instead.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.