• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed race on the Madrid?

skevin

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2015 - SJPP to SdC
Hi. Anyone on the Camino de Madrid to Sahagun at the moment? I absolutely can’t stand the bed race- hence why I’m not going on Frances. If there is a race I’ll cancel my ticket. Planning to start 1June. Muchas gracias

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Setting off in 2 weeks. Most albergues still closed (covid) from Madrid to segovia so you need to book private for those days. After segovia it seems to be ok

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There were a couple if pilgrims who were getting a room and taking the train back and forth the first few days. Dont know if that is an option as well.

Hi. Anyone on the Camino de Madrid to Sahagun at the moment? I absolutely can’t stand the bed race- hence why I’m not going on Frances. If there is a race I’ll cancel my ticket. Planning to start 1June. Muchas gracias
That is why we stopped doing the CF three years ago and started walking the other routes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bed race on the Madrid. 😞 This is not a headline I expected to see! When we walked the Madrid Way in September 2018 we met no more than a handful of pilgrims the whole 12 days. While pilgrim Albergues were not large, they were never anywhere near full - often we were the only two and in a couple of places we were joined by one or two others.

It’s a wonderful path. ❤️

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That is why we stopped doing the CF three years ago and started walking the other routes.
I’m on the Camino Madrid right now about 2/3 of the way to The Frances. All the open Alburges have had beds available but not everything is open. I think the Camino Madrid might be underrated.
Gary

Attachments

• 80C648F7-07F4-47AE-9FC6-093E52840701.jpeg
    80C648F7-07F4-47AE-9FC6-093E52840701.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
I’m on the Camino Madrid right now about 2/3 of the way to The Franses. All the open Alburges have had beds available but not everything is open. I think the Camino Madrid might be underrated.
Gary
Where are you on the Madrid? I am in Penaflor de Hornija at the moment. I am again the only person in the albuergue, and every place has been clean, welcoming, more than adequate. I took the train back to Madrid for my first 3 days, and returned to Segovia by bus rather than stay in Santa María, but if I were to do this route again I would just stay in hotels or casa rurals in the towns without an albuergue.

I’m contemplating jumping over to the Sanabres from here to avoid the crowds in Sahagun.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Where are you on the Madrid? I am in Penaflor de Hornija at the moment. I am again the only person in the albuergue, and every place has been clean, welcoming, more than adequate. I took the train back to Madrid for my first 3 days, and returned to Segovia by bus rather than stay in Santa María, but if I were to do this route again I would just stay in hotels or casa rurals in the towns without an albuergue.

I’m contemplating jumping over to the Sanabres from here to avoid the crowds in Sahagun.
Good for you Amy. We loved the Madrid Way and in Penaflor had one of the funniest and most memorable days of any of our Caminos. Just the mention brings a smile 😎.

Keep on enjoying. Buen camino 😎

I’m on the Camino Madrid right now about 2/3 of the way to The Frances. All the open Alburges have had beds available but not everything is open. I think the Camino Madrid might be underrated.
Gary
Thank you Gary. That’s great news. Go well.

Gary
Absolute legend Gary, thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I’ll be starting in Madrid in about 10 days. Tell me, what do you mean about jumping over to Sanabres? Won’t you end up with the crowd to Santiago at some point? Robin

what do you mean about jumping over to Sanabres? Won’t you end up with the crowd to Santiago at some point?
The Camino de Madrid ends in Sahagun on the Francés. @amy374 is probably thinking of going cross-country (not on a Camino route) to get from the Camino Madrid to Granja de Moreruela and then following the Sanabrés all the way to Santiago. The Sanabrés doesn't merge with the Francés at all, although it does merge with the Invierno (which diverged from the Francés!) The numbers of pilgrims will certainly increase in the last 100 km of the Sanabrés, but nothing close to the numbers on the Francés.

Well that looks interesting! That's actually a great idea! The way I have it planned, I'll be hitting Sarria mid June which does give me pause because of the bed situation. I've not traveled the last portion of the French route but I've heard it can be difficult due to the crowds. Please post if you find this to be a suitable way to travel. I may just have to switch up my itinerary!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’ll be starting in Madrid in about 10 days. Tell me, what do you mean about jumping over to Sanabres? Won’t you end up with the crowd to Santiago at some point? Robin
Hi, The Sanabres intersects with the Invierno, but not the Frances.

Well that looks interesting! That's actually a great idea! The way I have it planned, I'll be hitting Sarria mid June which does give me pause because of the bed situation. I've not traveled the last portion of the French route but I've heard it can be difficult due to the crowds. Please post if you find this to be a suitable way to travel. I may just have to switch up my itinerary!
Hi - I’m off on the Madrid starting 1 June and was dreading the Sahagun to Santiago due to crowds. Someone said I could walk Sahagun to Leon ( only a few days) then do Camino Sam Salvador then Camino Invierno to Santiago- it’s a fantastic idea when you look at the maps and means hopefully only a few days of madness from Sahagun to Leon

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back