• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bedbug Free Nights on the Camino

SacredSteps

Time of past OR future Camino
For those of you preparing your packing lists for the Camino, I come to sing the praises of the Sea to Summit Traveller Adapter Bed Liner with Insect Shield from my previous experience on the Camino and from backpack trekking in hostels worldwide.

The STS Traveller Adapter is a great liner for warm/hot environments like a summer Camino. The Coolmax material is a wicking poly that feels like a soft cotton shirt and could (easily) be mistaken for cotton or bamboo. The genius in this liner is that it is pre-treated at the thread/yarn stage of production with permethrin to repel bed bugs, midges, ticks, fleas, and other bitey crawlies. Since it is treated at the yarn level, there is 182% less exposure than if you were to treat the liner yourself, plus it retains its protection for up to 70 washes.

The entire thing packs down to the size of a soda can, weighs 11 oz. yet opens to give you an 89"x36" rectangular bag, with a little pocket to keep your pillow away from crawlies too! In all the really dicey places I've spent an overnight, I've NEVER ONCE been bitten by a bedbug.

Here's a google link for the Sea to Summit Traveller Adapter Bed Liner with Insect Shield (you can choose where you might view/buy it online).
Here's a google link to learn more about permethrin treatments
Here's a link to my in-depth review (including photos) and my Camino packing list on the my blog

And... here's to no bed bug bites!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After much waffling (for I have yet to make a purchase for my upcoming Camino without a considerable amount of waffling) I decided to buy this very liner a few weeks ago with an REI credit I had ... and this review is making me very glad that I did 🥳 Thanks for sharing your experience!

After much waffling (for I have yet to make a purchase for my upcoming Camino without a considerable amount of waffling) I decided to buy this very liner a few weeks ago with an REI credit I had ... and this review is making me very glad that I did 🥳 Thanks for sharing your experience!
I will look into this at my local sports store that does sell it. The price seems high since it claims 70 washings what then?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's useful to remember that permethrin does not kill instantly. I've been bitten while using a permethrin treated liner.

I now regard my liner as a mechanical barrier, and draw it up over my head and seal it with an elastic draw cord. So I breath through the silk. It's fine, although I have though about sewing in a patch of fine mesh insect netting.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's useful to remember that permethrin does not kill instantly. I've been bitten while using a permethrin treated liner.
Nor does it repel bedbugs (though I believe that it repels mosquitoes, and possibly other bugs). It will kill bedbugs with prolonged exposure, so if they do get into a permethrin treated bag, if they don't make their escape within an hour or two they should die.

Nor does it repel bedbugs (though I believe that it repels mosquitoes, and possibly other bugs). It will kill bedbugs with prolonged exposure, so if they do get into a permethrin treated bag, if they don't make their escape within an hour or two they should die.
From the Sea to Summit website

Insect Shield® is a semi-permanent permethrin treatment which is applied to the finished product to help repel flies, chiggers, midges, ants, mosquitos, ticks and fleas.

No mention of bedbugs.

I just bought this liner yesterday! I hiked the CF in September/October two years ago with a bed bug sheet that I laid under my treated sleeping bag and STILL got bites and spend countless hours washing and drying my clothes and pack. Not my favorite memory of the Camino but looking back definitely not enough to dampen the magic.
I will be hiking the Portuguese in late June and plan to use this liner alone rather than carrying a sleeping bag in what I expect to be hot weather.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For those of you preparing your packing lists for the Camino, I come to sing the praises of the Sea to Summit Traveller Adapter Bed Liner with Insect Shield from my previous experience on the Camino and from backpack trekking in hostels worldwide.

The STS Traveller Adapter is a great liner for warm/hot environments like a summer Camino. The Coolmax material is a wicking poly that feels like a soft cotton shirt and could (easily) be mistaken for cotton or bamboo. The genius in this liner is that it is pre-treated at the thread/yarn stage of production with permethrin to repel bed bugs, midges, ticks, fleas, and other bitey crawlies. Since it is treated at the yarn level, there is 182% less exposure than if you were to treat the liner yourself, plus it retains its protection for up to 70 washes.

The entire thing packs down to the size of a soda can, weighs 11 oz. yet opens to give you an 89"x36" rectangular bag, with a little pocket to keep your pillow away from crawlies too! In all the really dicey places I've spent an overnight, I've NEVER ONCE been bitten by a bedbug.

Here's a google link for the Sea to Summit Traveller Adapter Bed Liner with Insect Shield (you can choose where you might view/buy it online).
Here's a google link to learn more about permethrin treatments
Here's a link to my in-depth review (including photos) and my Camino packing list on the my blog

And... here's to no bed bug bites!

Keep yours finger cross Islander, there is always a first time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I hope it works as well for you as it has for me. It is definitely a warm-weather liner - won't be great in the colder months because it is so lightweight.

I will look into this at my local sports store that does sell it. The price seems high since it claims 70 washings what then?

The liner can be re-treated with permethrin. A company (Insect Shield) offers per item pricing for treatment. I have sent them my shirts and pants before for Florida Trail. Very good to work with.

Keep yours finger cross Islander, there is always a first time.

HA! Yeah... not sure I want to endure that one! 🤣

While it's possible that I suffer from confirmation bias (I have not been bitten, therefore it must be effective) an NIH study of similar permethrin-treated fabric showed "significant feeding disruption compared to those on blank fabric". I really like the sound of that!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have walked the Camino Frances twice. Both times I started in april and I have never found any bed bugs on the bunks - believe me, I look very closely before putting my sleeping bag on a bunk. May be, I have just been very lucky!

I have walked the Camino Frances twice. Both times I started in april and I have never found any bed bugs on the bunks - believe me, I look very closely before putting my sleeping bag on a bunk. May be, I have just been very lucky!
Starting in April may be the most important factor. I believe that later on in the Camino "season" as more pilgrims go through the albergues the incidence of bed bugs rises.

Well... should you be unlucky and be a host to these critters, they are relatively easy to eradicate.
1/ go to a pharmacy and ask for bedbugs spray. This is to treat your backpack and and your dry bags.
2/ make sure everything else is dry.
3/ put everything in a dryer, shoes included. 15-20 min spin on high temperature will eradicate the critters. Note that everything is to do in the dryer already dry. It's a heat treatment. It also will prevent your more fragile fabrics from being destroyed

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
/ put everything in a dryer, shoes included. 15-20 min spin on high temperature will eradicate the critters. Note that everything is to do in the dryer already dry. It's a heat treatment. It also will prevent your more fragile fabrics from being destroyed
Correct. There is no need to wash things in hot water. It's the heat from the dryer that kills the bugs and their eggs.

I don't bother putting my shoes into the dryer. However, you can inspect your shoes carefully. While not being a 100% guarantee, inspection should reduce the risk. Leaving your shoes away from the sleeping area, as required in many albergues, is probably a good idea as well.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.