• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bedbug in La Escuela (bb's Laguna de Castillo)?

bopper NYC

Time of past OR future Camino
asd asdsadsa asdsa
La Escuela in Laguna de Castillo. nice place, but this morning saw a fat bedbug walk across my bed.
Washing and drying now in progress.

Nobody was up as I left - if someone wants to email them. It was room 7

In other news - lots of pilgrims. People booking days ahead - larger villages are sending people up and downstream in taxi's.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There you go @bopper NYC ; but I hope you're sure you are right. This bit of naming & shaming will sit on the internet for a thousand years. That's why we ask people to inform the hospitalero/as not the whole world. Persistent failure to deal with bugs; multiple infestations - they deserve reporting. I can't find a previous report against this particular Albergue (though they may exist). If you had reported to the operators at the time then maybe your thread title could have been "Albergue deals promptly with Bed Bug sighting".

I don't know it all but I do know how much damage the internet can do. And if you don't believe me put "La Escuela bed bugs" into Google and see.

Should not be a bed bug hidden somewhere if it is "at home" in the albergue and it is not in the night?
I thought they come in the night, bite and hide again.

How fast are bed bugs?
Should I try to catch it if I see one that I have a proof or something to look at?

Or with other words: What should I do besides informing the hospitalero/as and starting the "washing/drying/bedbug-decontamination" of my equipment?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Should not be a bed bug hidden somewhere if it is "at home" in the albergue and it is not in the night?
Maybe it "should" (and usually they are) but maybe that one was happily hiding in your bedding when you disturbed it in the morning, so it headed off for a better hiding place. Or maybe it was in your pack or other item and emerged with the disturbance.
How fast are bed bugs? Should I try to catch it if I see one that I have a proof or something to look at?
Definitely! :p They are not super fast, so you have a chance to catch one that is wandering across your bed. Drop it in a glass of water so you can look at it without squishing it first. (However, I admit that I'm more likely to smash it in a panic first.)
Or with other words: What should I do besides informing the hospitalero/as and starting the "washing/drying/bedbug-decontamination" of my equipment?
That's about it! I find it very helpful to keep my belonging in several dry bags that can isolate exposed and not-exposed things. Also I put everything into a large bag at night, to protect even the backpack, as that is when the bedbug activity is likely to be greatest. This makes it easier to decontaminate that which needs decontamination.

I remind myself that this is all a matter of risk management, so anything I can reasonably do to reduce the risk is a good idea, but it doesn't have to be perfect.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
While I do it understand the point of being careful abt posting that there are currently bedbugs in a facility, I for one, am glad that you posted a warning. You are reporting what you saw, and seem to be knowledgeable abt recognizing them. I got severely bitten a couple of years ago at an albergue that when I later researched this facility back a few years, bedbugs were repeatedly reported. One bug does not an infestation make, but I think the consumer also needs to be informed to make her/his choice!

I thought they come in the night, bite and hide again.

How fast are bed bugs?
Should I try to catch it if I see one that I have a proof or something to look at?

I have seen bedbugs 3 times on the Caminos, all in early morning when lights were first turned on, and yes, the albergues were told about it. The ones I've seen moved quite slowly, easy to kill if you are so inclined. They remind me somewhat of a small apple seed....but with legs. :eek:

La Escuela in Laguna de Castillo. nice place, but this morning saw a fat bedbug walk across my bed.
Washing and drying now in progress.

Nobody was up as I left - if someone wants to email them. It was room 7

In other news - lots of pilgrims. People booking days ahead - larger villages are sending people up and downstream in taxi's.

I just finish the Frances Camino and I had 3 different contact with bed bugs. The first time I thought it must be some kind of flea or no-see-em bites. Mostly on my arms. Then in a week or so I woke up to a stinging on my ankle and given it was almost 6am I turned on the lights and found 2 of them crawling across my plastic covered matress. No they were not fast but I was! Killing both and leaving my blood smeared on the plastic. I told the people at the albergue, but maybe I brought them with me. Maybe they were living in my sleeping bed liner for the past week. The burning itching sensación lasted more then 2 weeks. And yes I made it worse by scratching the heck out of it. Also I probably had some kind of reaction to them. So I was taking antihistamines, cortazone tablets and using cortazone cream to try and control the itching. I researched enough about them and did what was needed to get rid of them. I was determined not to let a few dirty little bed bugs ruin my camino. But what I learnt from the web and the farmcias is that they can and do live in the matresses without being seen in the early stages of their lifes. Called nymphs and I met several people who have come in contact with them. The last contact I had was in Santiago a few days ago in a very nice clean albergue. I stayed there for four nights and on the second night felt that I had been bit again and started search around and I found an adult under my pillow. I could tell just by looking at her that she had not eaten lately. Looked different from the ones full of my blood. Also at this albergue the matresses were NOT covered with plastic which given the way people move from bed to bed should be a must. There is just no way to stop them from moving into a matress in their early stages and waiting for dinner to show up. Sorry for rambling but I did want to share that. I read a lot on this forum before starting and thought that a lot of people did not think they were a problem. I know different now.
Other than bedbugs I had a great camino. SJPP to Santiago in 28 days. I like hiking. Thanks to all who share on this forum. It was a great help.
Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Given that the little b*ggers grow to a maximum 4–5 mm (0.16–0.20 in) long and 1.5–3 mm (0.059–0.118 in) wide as fully mature adults if it was big and fat it wasn't a bed bug.

I've seen them in sizes from 1 mm to 1 cm, and in different colours too, probably depending on the amout of feed they got: transparent, brownish, brown, redish, red, even greenish (god knows what that one had fed on). luckily they are not fast and relatively easy to kill.

they remind me of big flat ticks. (those I also saw in a variety of sizes and colours.)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.