• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bedbug undersheet - worth it?

missfliss

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned April 2014
Planning my first Camino in the spring, thinking about the dreaded bedbugs. Apart from spraying with Permethrin etc - and I don't, please, want to re-open the debate about that, it has been well-discussed elsewhere! - I have a specific question.

Lifeventure (and probably other people too) sell a bed bug undersheet, like a mesh mattress cover, impregnated.

Is this worth purchasing? Part of me thinks yes, minimal weight, only costs a few £, added protection etc; but on the other hand, it presumably won't prevent bedbugs from getting into my clothes, towel, backpack, boots etc unless they stay said on said sheet the entire time (ie once they are hanging on bedframes etc).

Views please - anyone used one? Did it help?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I took that same bug sheet last year. Didn't use all the time but did in the not quite so pristine albergues just in case! Did it do any good? Hard to say other than had no problems, but had also sprayed my sleeping bag with Permethrin in advance so was a bit of a double whammy. Made me sleep better if nothing else.

If you go for this one, suggest you tie some ribbons onto the punched holes in each corner to secure to the bunk or it will move around. I chose nice colourful ribbons! Oddly enough I was having a debate with myself as to whether to take the sheet again in my May camino and have come down in favour of doing so just for peace of mind.

Another thing you might consider is to take away the disposable pillowcase and mattress cover that some of the better albergues provide. They just get thrown out anyway and it's just another thing that might make you a wee bit more comfortable in your bed.

Buen camino when it comes....

Forgot to say, had also sprayed my rucksack, other stuff in stuff sacs that were sprayed too (possibly overkill I know.....!) Albergues usually ask for boots to be kept at the entrance and not in dorms so you should be ok there. I think you can only do your best and if the critters decide your tonight's dinner then that's that! Did make me reconsider taking the very pricey Merino wool gear though just in case it had to go through a high temperature wash at some point.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
HI Katycamino, I have been considering Lifestyle anti-bedbug undersheets today so have been interested to read of your experiences and recommendations. Will also be interested to see others' views. Buen camino in Mayo. Mel

Thanks Annie, for your great info on the blog. I think that will be my approach this May when I head out for my first camino. I have enjoyed many of your comments on several issues and really appreciate the time you take to help others.
Stefania

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi miss,

If you read my blog on bedbugs, and follow my advice, you should not need a bedbug sheet.
The bugs are never as bad in the spring as they are later in the season, after the heat comes.
Here is the link:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/06/dont-let-bedbugs-bite.html

Buen Camino,
Annie
Fabulous blog on bedbugs Annie. Thanks for sharing. We've walked 3,000 km of Caminos and have never been bitten and have never seen a bedbug. Go figure. Anyway, for our next Camino we will certainly be more aware. Thanks
Dayton and Karen, London, Canada

While it sounded like a good idea to me, we did not take anything other than a spray. In the end, the only time we ran into bedbugs, they were crawling on the WALLS. Coming out from under a wood trim running around the room and out from under the door trim. From there one had crawled onto my bed. Others in the room either had no bugs on the bed or several were making their way from the walls and floor onto the beds. We could have put down all the sheets we wanted and it would have done no good. We sprayed everything down and got the heck out of there. We did not pick up any critters from that experience thank goodness.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
While it sounded like a good idea to me, we did not take anything other than a spray. In the end, the only time we ran into bedbugs, they were crawling on the WALLS. Coming out from under a wood trim running around the room and out from under the door trim. From there one had crawled onto my bed. Others in the room either had no bugs on the bed or several were making their way from the walls and floor onto the beds. We could have put down all the sheets we wanted and it would have done no good. We sprayed everything down and got the heck out of there. We did not pick up any critters from that experience thank goodness.
YUCK!!! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.