• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bedbugs at Belorado municipal

Wnccamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Current
I woke up feeling something on me. Grabbed my phone turned on light and saw many bedbugs all moving around. I kind of freaked out and started grabbing my stuff. I was able to capture one live and put it in a zip bag. The Europeans in room said to just calm down and grab a different bed....I do not think that's good idea. I am currently sitting downstairs in the lounge unsure what to do. Possibly considering ending my Camino now. I don't have any reactions to speak of from bites, at least not yet. But I am American and really freaked out by this kind of thing. No staff is here at current moment that I know of. Is all my stuff infected now? My backpack was close to bed within jumping distance.

Edit: forgot to mention, I was using my own sleeping bag and hikers pillow. Are they both definitely infested now with bedbugs?

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Find somewhere with a dryer. Put all your clothes (including merinos) in a hot dryer for 30 mins. If it's sunny find a black large plastic rubbish bag and put your backpack in it, tie it up and put it out in the sun for a day.

Last edited:
I woke up feeling something on me. Grabbed my phone turned on light and saw many bedbugs all moving around. I kind of freaked out and started grabbing my stuff. I was able to capture one live and put it in a zip bag. The Europeans in room said to just calm down and grab a different bed....I do not think that's good idea. I am currently sitting downstairs in the lounge unsure what to do. Possibly considering ending my Camino now. I don't have any reactions to speak of from bites, at least not yet. But I am American and really freaked out by this kind of thing. No staff is here at current moment that I know of. Is all my stuff infected now? My backpack was close to bed within jumping distance.

Edit: forgot to mention, I was using my own sleeping bag and hikers pillow. Are they both definitely infested now with bedbugs?

It doesn't matter if you are American. Just calm down. You are overreacting. There are many threads on this forum on how to get rid of any bedbugs that might be in your gear. Read them and follow the instructions. Then get on with your Camino like the tough American you are :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don't think you're over reacting. It's shocking if you haven't seen it before.
But don't end your Camino.
What you DO need to do is find a place to wash and dry everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) in HOT water and a HOT dryer. Spray your shoes and pack and sleeping bag.
Go here and read my blog for more help:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/06/dont-let-bedbugs-bite.html

REPORT THIS TO THE HOSPITALERO!

Then, just be sure to leave your things outside when you get home until it's all treated. You don't want to carry eggs into the house.

Bedbugs are everywhere in America. Just do a search on "bedbugs I-5" to see the many hotels here that have them.

Update: all the other beds were infested. The Europeans are all down here in lobby now too. And 3 are using the tiny pots in kitchen to boil water for their clothes.

Update: all the other beds were infested. The Europeans are all down here in lobby now too. And 3 are using the tiny pots in kitchen to boil water for their clothes.

That will not work. You need to find the next village if necessary and find a washing machine and a hot dryer. Or a pot big enough to boil your clothes. You also must spray everything.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The best would be to buy some cheap clothes you will wear only for an hour (can leave them in any albergue after that), wrap them in a plastic bag, find a washer/dryer (just dryer would do fine too), get naked and put everything (!!!) in the dryer for at least half an hour at min.60C. Better even two periods of half an hour just to be sure. Shower yourself with hot water and put on "new" clothes.

For a bit of prevention buy some spray which contains permethrin that you can usually get in Spain in ferreterias and spray your backpack, outside of a sleeping bag and your shoes. Actually could do that with all the stuff you don't wear directly on the skin.

If bites will show do not scratch them with your finger nails, just with finger pads as you might infect them. I had about 200 bites one time but I've survived os will you :) Just don't panic and continue your Camino. After return that will be just a story for grandchildren and friends :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When this happened to me I washed even merino wool in hot water and put in hot dryer. The clothes were fine. I put my backpack and other stuff in black plastic bag outside. All bedbugs dead. (I'm American too)
the wool didn't shrink?

I'm sorry this happened, and I know by now you know that freaking out is allowable, and not limited by nationality:). I've spent more years than I care to recall living in tents, but when --after getting lost in the woods on the Norte--I discovered my legs covered with ticks....well, I stopped counting as I removed them after awhile because I was getting freaked out myself:eek:
so while you are boiling your wool, is the albergue the El Corro (municipal) on Calle Mayor #68? then this is their contact info. Please email them as your clothes boil/tumble, and call them in the morning to make sure they know about the problem. If no one is there now, they will have no idea what happened during the night. Leaving them a note, even one with a bug attached, is not as effective as proof they have notified (email trail)...in fact, if your email supports attaching a received/read notification, do that...that really puts people on their toes.
  • Teléfono de contacto: 947 58 14 19, 639 307 923, 690 276 125
if not, let me know the name and I will find you the contact info

thanks for letting every one know via this post, and more importantly, letting the hospitaleros know by email/phone. Try to reward yourself once your laundry is done with something nice, you deserve it.

Is all my stuff infected now? My backpack was close to bed within jumping distance.
Bed bugs live with their family and the wall or crevices. They have no particular interest in anything of yours except your blood. After they feed, they return home.

That does not mean that they cannot get into your pack. They hitchhiked to Belorado in someone's equipment after all. The could be in yours, but may not be. After bed bugs feed, they lay eggs. It takes about a week for the eggs to hatch. If they do that in your backpack, then you will be the Typhoid Mary pretty soon. :) That is why you should clean your clothes and equipment as thoroughly as possible as described above.

What you don't want to be is the Typhoid Mary for your home. When you return, put all your clothes and equipment in a large plastic bag, and treat it as if it were infected with bed bug eggs. I leave the equipment in the plastic bag, spray it with permethrin, and leave it for a couple of weeks. The bed bugs will be killed, as will the bed bugs that might hatch from eggs. I wash all my clothes in hot water (except the wool), and dry on high heat. The equipment is inspected and cleaned after the permethrin has done its work. I look carefully for dead bed bugs. If I don't see any, I presume that there were none, but clean the equipment anyway. I don't do the high heat treatment for things like my sleeping bag, tyvek sheet, water bladder, etc. unless there are signs of dead bugs.

In the short run on the Camino, do not worry about bed bugs. They can be anywhere. Belorado got them from somewhere and has sent them on somewhere, perhaps where you stay tomorrow. Look for the signs of bed bugs at each albergue and hostal, and stay somewhere else if you find the signs. That is about all you can do.

Have fun, and buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you all for the responses. When I first typed this I was starting to lose it, and I did not think anyone really spoke English there so did not know where to turn. Come to find out that 3 of the other pilgrims from the room were really nice, and all spoke decent enough English. We all ended up on same bus here to Burgos where plan is to follow instructions that were posted here using a laundry-mat.
I checked into a hotel here, don't worry I stripped down at entry of my room and quarantined everything by the door.

The lady that ran the alburgue never showed up and we had to leave to catch the Burgos bus. I left a strongly worded letter on the door of the room we had been in, with a ziplock bag containing a bedbug safety-pinned to the bottom of note. Someone suggested here that I call them too, but unfortunately I do not have a calling plan on the SIM card I am using. I may however write them an email.

I am not going to let this ruin my whole Camino. But I do think I will be missing the part between belarado and Burgos.

Once again thanks for responses they really helped. Buen Camino.

Thank you all for the responses. When I first typed this I was starting to lose it, and I did not think anyone really spoke English there so did not know where to turn. Come to find out that 3 of the other pilgrims from the room were really nice, and all spoke decent enough English. We all ended up on same bus here to Burgos where plan is to follow instructions that were posted here using a laundry-mat.
I checked into a hotel here, don't worry I stripped down at entry of my room and quarantined everything by the door.

The lady that ran the alburgue never showed up and we had to leave to catch the Burgos bus. I left a strongly worded letter on the door of the room we had been in, with a ziplock bag containing a bedbug safety-pinned to the bottom of note. Someone suggested here that I call them too, but unfortunately I do not have a calling plan on the SIM card I am using. I may however write them an email.

I am not going to let this ruin my whole Camino. But I do think I will be missing the part between belarado and Burgos.

Once again thanks for responses they really helped. Buen Camino.
I'm glad things are looking up. I know it's a pain but please notify the albergue (email) about the problem. The person who cleans in the am may not read English, your note could fall off the door, they may just be a housekeeper so not feel it's their place to tell the hospitaleros, etc. If you email they can look at their records and know you stayed there. Maybe just a quick email over dinner, or your morning coffee. It would be a big help to subsequent pilgrims. It can be in English, everyone knows how to use google translate. Make the subject line Chinches.
Buen Camino.

I'm glad things are looking up. I know it's a pain but please notify the albergue (email) about the problem. The person who cleans in the am may not read English, your note could fall off the door, they may just be a housekeeper so not feel it's their place to tell the hospitaleros, etc. If you email they can look at their records and know you stayed there. Maybe just a quick email over dinner, or your morning coffee. It would be a big help to subsequent pilgrims. It can be in English, everyone knows how to use google translate. Make the subject line Chinches.
Buen Camino.

Ok, I sent the following email with chinches as subject line.

"Hi,
There was a few of us that stayed in room 2 last night. We woke up and every bed was completely infested with bedbugs(Chinches). We all had to leave the room and a few of us decided it was safest to ride bus to Burgos so we could clean all of our gear and throw away what could not be cleaned. We left a note but I am sending this in case the note was not received."
Sent from my iPhone

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ok, here is my translation into Spanish, it might not be 100% grammatically correct, but it should get the point across:

"Hola,
Algunos de nosotros se alojan en la habitación 2 la noche anterior. Nos despertamos de repente y cada cama estaba completamente infestado de chinches. Todos tuvimos que dejar la habitación y algunos de nosotros decidimos que era más seguro tomar un autobús hacia Burgos para que pudiéramos limpiar todo nuestro equipo / nuestra ropa y echar todo que no podíamos limpiar. Hemos dejado una nota para usted, estoy enviando este email en caso de que no se ha recibido la nota ".

Ok, I sent the following email with chinches as subject line.

"Hi,
There was a few of us that stayed in room 2 last night. We woke up and every bed was completely infested with bedbugs(Chinches). We all had to leave the room and a few of us decided it was safest to ride bus to Burgos so we could clean all of our gear and throw away what could not be cleaned. We left a note but I am sending this in case the note was not received."
Sent from my iPhone
Thanks!!

I was a Chief officer on Ocean going containerships at one time in my life. Running the house on the ships the bed bug issue comes up from time to time.
Bedbugs dye at 140 degrees Fahrenheit or 60 degrees Celsius. You don't need to boil your items, just find a commercial lavanderia (laundromat) as many of the dryers in allbergues, pensions, etc don't get that warm. Wash your stuff dry it and you are good to go. Big items like your backpack and sleeping bag you may spray with insecticide and dry in a dryer. Should be good to go.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was there in Juni, it is clean. So these bedbugs must be new :) Wash your clothes, all of them. It is hard to say, who bring the bedbugs. Just kill them.

Bedbugs come and go.
I found bedbugs at Belorado muni back in 2006.
Just depends on who was there before you, sometimes.

Merino does not shrink if you put it through a hot dryer - which is better than a wash and dry as it is the heat that kills the bedbugs, not the washing.

If you are from the northern part of the US, you can put your pack and everything in it in your shed or garage (as long as it's not heated) for a couple of months this winter. The cold will kill the bed bugs. Or, if you look outside, you may see a family of the little so-and-sos trudging through the snow with teeney weeny little snowshoes on, making their way to the nearest hotel. (Just kidding on the last part...they wouldn't know where to get teeney weeny snowshoes! LOL)

(Granted, it's not halfway as cold as it can get in the northern part of Canada--or in Alaska--but it should be cold enough to turn any bed bugs into little ice cubes!)

Last edited:

Ooh that's awful. Wash your stuff. Which route is that on?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't think you're over reacting. It's shocking if you haven't seen it before.
But don't end your Camino.
What you DO need to do is find a place to wash and dry everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) in HOT water and a HOT dryer. Spray your shoes and pack and sleeping bag.
Go here and read my blog for more help:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/06/dont-let-bedbugs-bite.html

REPORT THIS TO THE HOSPITALERO!

Then, just be sure to leave your things outside when you get home until it's all treated. You don't want to carry eggs into the house.

Bedbugs are everywhere in America. Just do a search on "bedbugs I-5" to see the many hotels here that have them.
We got bed bug bites from the worst motel I have ever clapped eyes on in Tamworth NSW Australia - disgusting in this day and age - I think I can be judgemental about that .

Ooh that's awful. Wash your stuff. Which route is that on?
I believe it was the Frances, but it really won't matter...other threads have reported problems on other Caminos recently, and by the time you arrive at a "problem" albergue it may have been treated and resolved, while you stay at a place with a new problem. I would recommend taking precautions if you want in terms of sprays, etc. (I did not think it would be worthwhile personally), checking the place when you check in and if you want using precautions there (pack not on floor or bed, pack in plastic, etc) and if you discover bugs, following the sage advice posted above and elsewhere on the web. Even 5 star hotels can get bedbugs...high turnover with lots of travelers from all over is the risk factor. Cleanliness is not the important thing, it is reporting by pilgrims to the albergue (which too often does not happen). Reliable reporting, in person, by phone, or by email (note: not notes left for someone to find) is what helps control this. Kudos to the OP for reporting by email.
Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
disgusting in this day and age
Bedbugs were almost eradicated (in part through use of pesticides, I believe) in the mid-20th century. It is because of modern travel and the greater caution around broadcasting pesticides, that they have recovered and flourished. So our "day and age" is contributing to the problem. There is no safe, easy and permanent solution that hostels can use to eliminate the problem. Thus your judgement might be misplaced. However, of course, every hostel should try to be as clean as possible for many reasons.

Bedbugs were almost eradicated (in part through use of pesticides, I believe) in the mid-20th century. It is because of modern travel and the greater caution around broadcasting pesticides, that they have recovered and flourished. So our "day and age" is contributing to the problem. There is no safe, easy and permanent solution that hostels can use to eliminate the problem. Thus your judgement might be misplaced. However, of course, every hostel should try to be as clean as possible for many reasons.

Yes, I think you're right, C clearly, my friends at the CTA tell me that DDT was used until it was banned, and there were no infestations then. Of course, thousands of CTA riders may have gotten cancer. I guess bed bug bites are preferable to that. Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes they are - as bed bugs neither transmit diseases nor cause cancer ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Hmmm. Don't waste your efforts.
One of the co-authors said "offering advice on what color sheets people use 'would be stretching the results a little too much... '"

Furthermore, the study concluded that "they select a hiding spot based on color when they're moving in light." Fine - they might not hide on a yellow sheet in broad daylight. Duh.

:pI've seen bedbugs on all color sheets including yellow, on white walls, behind pictures on walls of albergues, in dark holes of wooden bunkbeds, in the folds of the metal beds, in black, red, and pink backpacks. Personally, as long as they can suck your blood, I'm not sure they care what color you're wearing or sleeping on.:eek:

Last edited:
:pI've seen bedbugs on all color sheets including yellow, on white walls, behind pictures on walls of albergues, in dark holes of wooden bunkbeds, in the folds of the metal beds, in black, red, and pink backpacks. Personally, as long as they can suck your blood, I'm not sure they care what color you're wearing or sleeping on.:eek:
I'm not sure if I should want to travel with you (good at finding bedbugs) or not travel with you (you are a bedbug black cloud):)
[please note smiley, as in yellow backpack this means I'm joking]...besides, my backpack cover is already dayglo yellow for rain walking

I'm not sure if I should want to travel with you (good at finding bedbugs) or not travel with you (you are a bedbug black cloud):)
[please note smiley, as in yellow backpack this means I'm joking]...besides, my backpack cover is already dayglo yellow for rain walking

::::Laughing:::::

Yes they are - as bed bugs neither transmit diseases nor cause cancer ;-) Buen Camino, SY
True! Just be carefull not to scratch bites with your fingernails, just finger pads, as they itch like hell :eek: And you really don't want to get an infection on Camino with all that sweat, dust etc.........

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Perhaps - but we never experienced lice or bed bugs living in the 3rd world where i grew up till we moved to the first world 7 years ago...needless to say I am really shocked that there are as we call them gogo's in first world countries ??? it says to me that things are not being cleaned enough. I suppose it's a busy busy route but i still think if you can't clean - I am happy to vacuum when I get there even if I am bombed. There must be something natural that repels them???

... it says to me that things are not being cleaned enough. I suppose it's a busy busy route but i still think if you can't clean - I am happy to vacuum when I get there even if I am bombed. There must be something natural that repels them???

Bed bugs have very little to do with cleanliness, they tend to hide during the day in crevices in walls and floors, behind floor boards, behind light switches etc. These hiding places are very difficult to reach and, even when treated chemically, the next pilgrims, potentially, bring the next bugs into the albergue.

And no, so far nobody has found anything natural that repels them. Bed bugs search for their 'prey' (us) by the CO2 we exhale and don't care how we smell otherwise. Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Kate fowles they are a problem everywhere. The University of Sydney Department of Entomology has a whole website just devoted to bed bugs. What kills them naturally is heat or cold.

Cleanliness is pretty much irrelevant, except that daily cleaning probably also includes daily inspections.

I disagree. It's like saying headlice only go on dirty hair.

Well there are signs that we pilgrims have researched and know what to look for. Therefore, any respectable albergue host should be looking for the same signs. I noticed some of the things beforehand, but unfortunately I did not recognize them at the time, only afterwards when doing research and looking back. Dark spot(s) on sheets, coffee grind looking things under mattress in crevices etc. so yes it does have to do with improper cleaning/ attention to details.

Bed bugs have very little to do with cleanliness, they tend to hide during the day in crevices in walls and floors, behind floor boards, behind light switches etc. These hiding places are very difficult to reach and, even when treated chemically, the next pilgrims, potentially, bring the next bugs into the albergue.

And no, so far nobody has found anything natural that repels them. Bed bugs search for their 'prey' (us) by the CO2 we exhale and don't care how we smell otherwise. Buen Camino, SY

No when we unfortunately experienced bed bugs I did a bit of research and it's vital that rooms are dusted and vaccumed. Also once there has been an outbreak mattresses have to be steamed and sometimes thrown out. It's tough for the hospitality industry but something they have to control. Yes bed bugs will not kill you but it's not a pleasant experience for guests - who have paid and who need a good sleep. Pyrethran kills them so does a little alcohol and heat over 40° c. Vaccuming is effective in getting rid of some and you are right they hide - in cushions, cupboards, headboards, behind pictures etc. They don't like sunlight and so come out at night. Cleaning behind beds and dusting helps. And yes the place could be squeeky clean till somebody turns up with bed bugs that have crawed into their luggage. According to what I have read today this can help the weary traveler :
1.keep your bag/bags off the floor or put it into the hotel/hostel/room bathroom -preferably the bath (because they can't climb out apparently) - or any place tiled (they don't like tiles) or on a table or hard surface NOT a bed.
2. Check the room for Apple seed sized black things - the sheets for little brown specs (their excrement ), check behind the headboard, pictures etc.
3. Put your bags into a big plastic bag - I saw transparent zip ones online or apparently a black dustbin bag works too. Seal it.
4.do not leave clothes etc on the floor.
5.Soap and water and enough steam. Kills them - so shower in the morning.
6.if you get bitten tumble dry your clothes,sleeping gear in a dryer for at least 20 min.
7.according to a number of sites I read today and the Huffington Post there are natural deterant one can make that help deter them. One is to mix 10 drops clove oil,10 drops lavender oil, 10 drops teared oil and 10 drops eucalyptus oil in an atomizer with 1 cup of water. You can spray your bag, clothes, the bed etc. You can also using almond oil or sorbolen (aqueous cream) make a protective cream to smear on your body before bed. All you need to do is add the essential oils without the cup of water and mix it through obviously. You can make sachets to put in your luggage out of these oils and the Dr who wrote the article reccomes you spray your bag inside and out including any buttons and ribbons as a deterant.
8.finally you can put petroleum jelly (vasseline brand apparently works best as they appear not to like it's smell) on the legs of the bed - I would probably put it in me!!!

Anyway I still think it is a pity we have to deal with this - we really should not have to. I know I sound like a snob (I really am not ) it just makes me think people are not cleaning. Yes...I am a neat freak and I don't think that's a bad thing. Anyway I am going to take a sleeping bag can wash and a camping pilow that can be washed and put in a dryer - and a big plastic bag. I will also go to bed smelling of soap and I will make that spray. By the way I am pretty sure if you washed with a teatree soap it would deter them?? Have nothing to loose by trying. Thanks for putting up with my comments

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Kate fowles they are a problem everywhere. The University of Sydney Department of Entomology has a whole website just devoted to bed bugs. What kills them naturally is heat or cold.

Cleanliness is pretty much irrelevant, except that daily cleaning probably also includes daily inspections.

Yip that's what I mean...thanks

Well there are signs that we pilgrims have researched and know what to look for. Therefore, any respectable albergue host should be looking for the same signs. I noticed some of the things beforehand, but unfortunately I did not recognize them at the time, only afterwards when doing research and looking back. Dark spot(s) on sheets, coffee grind looking things under mattress in crevices etc. so yes it does have to do with improper cleaning/ attention to details.
But you see if you were cleaning propperly you would be vaccuming up those little black peppery things???

And No sorry we - the public should not have to tolerate it. Would you support a shop that consistently sold chicken that was going off and made you ill?? Would you support any supplyer that just kept breaking their promise and took your money? I wouldn't. I know it's hard (and one has to be compassionate) must be a very tough job with lots of back-breaking work but it needs to be done well unfortunately. I have had to wash toilets and dishes in a cafe when we relocated despite my university degrees!! It's a horrible job but someone has to do it and it has to be done correctly.

True! Just be carefull not to scratch bites with your fingernails, just finger pads, as they itch like hell :eek: And you really don't want to get an infection on Camino with all that sweat, dust etc.........
If you do get bitten by the little buggers (I have) I found that tea tree oil is a great solution. The bites don't go away any sooner but the itch does and you won't scratch yourself and make things worse. Believe me, I feel for you! :)

If you do get bitten by the little buggers (I have) I found that tea tree oil is a great solution. The bites don't go away any sooner but the itch does and you won't scratch yourself and make things worse. Believe me, I feel for you! :)
Brilliant!!! That's an excellent tip

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Kate fowles you will see from the numerous threads and posts on bedbugs in this forum (and the raging debates) that there is absolutely no science behind the "natural deterrent" sprays. I think they just make your clothes and bedding smell nice. They can lull people into a false sense of security.

There is some evidence that Deet on the skin works as a deterrent, as long as you don't mind smelling like a chemist shop. I would not want to use it for extended periods.

It seems to me that it would be very helpful if albergues provided lockers outside the sleeping areas to help stop bed bugs hitching a ride in backpacks. It would also help people to leave the dorms more quietly in the mornings.

It seems to me that it would be very helpful if albergues provided lockers outside the sleeping areas to help stop bed bugs hitching a ride in backpacks. It would also help people to leave the dorms more quietly in the mornings.
I don't know...maybe...or would they eventually find their way there, since bedbugs don't just hide in beds? as for quiet departures, we'd just have more folks getting up in the middle of the night to look for something in their pack...or someone else:rolleyes:
seriously, maybe not a bad idea but in the current economy (and the size of the smaller albergues) it may not happen anytime soon

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And No sorry we - the public should not have to tolerate it. Would you support a shop that consistently sold chicken that was going off and made you ill?? Would you support any supplyer that just kept breaking their promise and took your money? I wouldn't. I know it's hard (and one has to be compassionate) must be a very tough job with lots of back-breaking work but it needs to be done well unfortunately. I have had to wash toilets and dishes in a cafe when we relocated despite my university degrees!! It's a horrible job but someone has to do it and it has to be done correctly.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bedbugs/basics/causes/con-20026119

There are so many things in your replies that are misleading or misguided, that I don't know where to start. Many of your suggestions start out with some truth with respect to how to reduce bedbug populations but the practicality of eliminating the problem is much more difficult that you realize, based on some quick research and no experience on the camino.

However, what bothers me most is the suggestion that the we the public should stand up and insist on what is our right - cheap, immaculate, bedbug-free accommodation, in a stream of travelers, in quaint ancient buildings, during our privileged trip across Spain.
And No sorry we - the public should not have to tolerate it... Would you support any supplyer that just kept breaking their promise and took your money? ... I know it's hard (and one has to be compassionate) must be a very tough job with lots of back-breaking work but it needs to be done well unfortunately... It's a horrible job but someone has to do it and it has to be done correctly.
We the public do not have to tolerate it. We can stay home.
What suppliers are we talking about who are "breaking promises"?
Who says this back-breaking work "needs to be done well" to your standards for your vacation for 10 Euros a night? The albergues would all have to close. Maybe if you are a Parador Pilgrim you can insist on a refund. :mad:

... according to a number of sites I read today and the Huffington Post there are natural deterant one can make that help deter them. ....

No matter what the Huffington Post and 'other websites' write, there is no scientific evidence that natural deterrents of any kind repel bed bugs. If anybody can provide a link to a scientific/academic study of a reputable source/peer reviewed and properly published in an academic publication, I am happy to learn about it. Until then the only thing natural remedies do is giving a false sense of security with the added risk of taking bed bugs home with you and then you do have a problem, no matter how much you clean, to get rid off them again.

Buen Camino sin chinches, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll admit I thought (not worried) about bedbugs before my camino. I think about them every time I must stay in hotels (and when not on the camino I admit to using 5-star ones).
my opinion on how to enjoy the camino without fear of bugs
I think one should be aware of the proper treatment for bags, clothes etc. if infested with bugs well before leaving. read it twice if needed. or five times. until you know that you will be able to take care of the problem calmly and efficiently. I personally believe sprays, magic sleep sacks, etc are a waste but I don't argue the placebo effect for a better night's sleep. Do a quick check to see if you see signs of infestation (note: there may be bugs and still be no signs, and cleanliness is not an indicator). If you find bedbugs, you get exactly 1.75 minutes to be freaked out, then pull up your big pilgrim pants and follow those steps you memorized about de-bugging your belongings. Notify the albergue in person, in email, or phone (or all three). Do this politely, for all they know you brought the bugs in with you (actually, for all you know also). It is not their fault, they will want to exterminate as quickly as possible...the longer bugs are there, the harder it is to get rid of them. So they want to know. No albergue is trying to make any pilgrim unhappy. Even if your travel is what you assume to be bug free (lucky you!) I would still consider using those de-bugging steps you memorized once at home (just in case:eek:)

Yes to all the above, IF it is an established infestation. If the bugs were brought in the night before, it's unlikely they can be spotted.
I don't like bed bugs any more than you do, in fact I carefully inspect a place before staying and if there is any doubt, I'm off! I found I had an allergic reaction to the bites and believe me, I'd rather not repeat the experience!
What I object to is the implication that a place is necessarily dirty if it does have bed bugs.
But hey, we can all agree to disagree! :)

One more thing to my rant above: if you see bites, but did not notice bugs--
1--contact the albergue (as above) to let them know you've been bitten by something while once again being polite about it
2--use those steps for treating infestation of clothes/bag that you memorized (just in case)--let the albergue where you are stopping next know so they can help you
3--if you fall into the category of it possibly being anything else (bacterial skin infection, allergy --possibly new--to your medication, shingles, etc.) and are unsure seek medical advice --especially if the bites(?) are near an eye
buen bug-free camino to everyone

we never experienced lice or bed bugs living in the 3rd world where i grew up till we moved to the first world 7 years ago...needless to say I am really shocked
I'm not sure which countries you were in, but many developing nations still use DDT indoors for the control of mosquitoes (an exemption from WHO and other advisory boards because the known risks of DDT were outweighed by the morbidity/mortality caused by malaria). one possible reason for the difference

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back