• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • Hi Please note that the posts below are created automatically when a new Resource is created in the Camino Resource section. Users can only make replies to the topics below, not create new threads.

Buen Camino!
    Ivar

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Resource icon

Bedbug's Big Adventure: The Way of Saint James 2013-12-05

No permission to download

Ruth Duplisea

Time of past OR future Camino
In 2012 I walked the Way of Saint James from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago and then on out to Muxia and Finisterre.
Next fall I plan to walk an alternate route but shorter
Ruth Duplisea submitted a new resource:

Bedbug's Big Adventure: The Way of Saint James - First ever (or almost so) Camino book written for children.

Order now in time for Christmas—from www.bedbugsbigadventure.com

Bedbug is a happy friendly little guy who lives in a dormitory in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. He has never been out of his mattress and wonders why the pilgrims are so excited. He would like to go on an adventure, so he hitches a ride on Pilgrim's bedroll and travels along the Way of Saint James with her.

The illustrations in the book are actual photographs that I took...

Read more about this resource...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is the story also telling kids to be aware of carrying "happy bedbugs", showing the diseases and discomfort these critters cause?
The title is most appropriate though: big adventure indeed!

Is the story also telling kids to be aware of carrying "happy bedbugs", showing the diseases and discomfort these critters cause?
The title is most appropriate though: big adventure indeed!

Hi Fraluchi,

Thank you for your comment. In the book, Bedbug is not an insect; he is a character. He just wants to go on an adventure and see the world that Pilgrim sees. So to answer your question, no, the story is not about bedbugs; it is about the Camino. I tried to tell the story from the point of view of a child (Bedbug) slipping away from his family and friends and going on an adventure.

The book is the first in a series of six creative non-fiction children's books. My objective is to introduce children to less publicized but historically significant world geographic sites such as the Camino, the pre-Druid stone alignments at Carnac in Brittany, and the Lascaux Caves.

Buen Camino
PS—There is a poem published on this website called "Ode to a Bedbug on the Camino de Santiago. You might enjoy it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
[...] PS—There is a poem published on this website called "Ode to a Bedbug on the Camino de Santiago. You might enjoy it.
Yes, Chris Slater's in CSJ September bulletin.
Bedbugs have an infamous reputation on the Camino. Not only there, creating havoc in many albergues, but also in reputed hotels in cities such as New York. There are no friendly "bedbugs". Perhaps "ladybirds" (ladybugs in the US) would be more amiable, but who am I to judge the Forum's fauna?

Yes, Chris Slater's in CSJ September bulletin.
Bedbugs have an infamous reputation on the Camino. Not only there, creating havoc in many albergues, but also in reputed hotels in cities such as New York. There are no friendly "bedbugs". Perhaps "ladybirds" (ladybugs in the US) would be more amiable, but who am I to judge the Forum's fauna?
Dear Chris, I read you Ode to bed bug in Peregrino. I am having fun making a Dutch translation of it that rimes for possible publication in the Dutch camino magazine Jacobsstaf. You refer to Robert Luis Stevenson. On which poem of his is your ode to a bed bug based? I would like to write or translate a funny but educative article on bed bugs for our magazine Jacobsstaf. Can you refer me to some copy? Thks Karline

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back