• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bedbugs (chinches) in Cadavedo Aug 13 2016

Maxine Kuo

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2016)
Hello all,
I just stayed in the municipal albergue in Cadavedo on 13/8/2016, and there were many, MANY bedbugs. The beds in the room on the left had it the worst, those people were covered in bites. They hid during the day and when we left at 6 am the next morning, they were all over the walls and pillows, walking around full of blood. Also, there were MANY mosquitos too, many people were covered with those bites as well. Beware!!! Find another place or take a taxi to the next town even though it's far away!
(I heard that another albergue in town had an infestation as well, and two girls had to go to the hospital. Check your mattresses in Cadavedo!)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry to hear about this, Maxine! For what it's worth, there were two new private albergue options in Cadavedo/Villademoros this year. Casa Carín has apartments and a small albergue set up in an hórreo. I stayed there, as I arrived late and everything in the center of town (to the extent that Cadavedo has a center) was booked up. It's about 1km after town, but signposted off of the Camino. Albergue Casa Ignacio is a bit further out, but very convenient for those taking the mountain approach to Cadavedo.

It takes about a week for bed bug eggs to hatch, so the quantity you encountered indicates that they have been around for awhile. That means that pilgrims have been transporting the bugs and the eggs to other locations, perhaps without knowing it. It is almost past the right time to single out a particular albergue; bed bugs are likely to be in all the downstream places! Use universal precautions so that you don't take the eggs or bugs home. Good luck with them!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It takes about a week for bed bug eggs to hatch, so the quantity you encountered indicates that they have been around for awhile. That means that pilgrims have been transporting the bugs and the eggs to other locations, perhaps without knowing it. It is almost past the right time to single out a particular albergue; bed bugs are likely to be in all the downstream places! Use universal precautions so that you don't take the eggs or bugs home. Good luck with them!
Can you till me what universal precautions are? Is there something i can use to spray me with?

Is there something i can use to spray me with?
You can spray your equipment with permethrin. I suggest just your backpack, sleeping bag, pillow case, and sheets. When you get home, treat your pack as infected or you may introduce bed bugs to your home! For treating your skin, DEET and picaridin have been shown to be effective as repellents. Homeopathic remedies may have some psychological appeal, but none of them have been proven effective except by the people that make a profit selling them to you...

Thanks Dave! We were there on a holiday weekend, as well as the town's celebratory weekend so there were about 20 of us without a place to stay, Casa Carín was long booked up. Bunch of people slept outside, they got off well :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is this along the Camino de Norte' ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can you till me what universal precautions are? Is there something i can use to spray me with?
Using zip-lock sealable bags to stow your gear will help you avoid infestations. Isolate your sleeping gear in a separate bag, so that the bugs you pick up while sleeping can be dealt with before they spread. If you get bites, then there is always the risk that you are harboring bed bugs. The simplest way of eliminating them is with heat - clothes driers work well. Be sure to do your backpack - it contains lots of places for bugs to hide. Turn up the heat to >60C for ½ hr. to kill both the bugs and their eggs. (Note - putting your stuff out in the sun in a black bag is unlikely to be effective). When you arrive home quarantine your stuff until you can treat it all in a clothes drier. For items that you cannot put in a drier, a freezer is useful. Four days at temperatures constantly below -18C/0F will kill the bugs and their eggs.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.