• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bedbugs in The Fenix in Villafranca del Bierzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhitSF

Time of past OR future Camino
(July/August 2014 - SJPD to Santiago)
Stayed in mid July 2014 in the room up the small wood staircase (nearest to the clotheslines). Two of my walking buddies got eaten alive by bed bugs (especially in that corner bunk on the left) and one woke up with a swollen bedbug on his pillow. I saw it myself.

Fellow pilgrims that came through day before/day after, that we caught up with later, were also totally bitten up.

Told Hospilatero. Seemed to care. But I wouldn't stay there again.

Friends who stayed the next night in La Faba were quizzed by the Hospilatero about bed bugs, bc so many had been coming from Villafrance del Bierzo with them!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Stayed in mid July 2014 in the room up the small wood staircase (nearest to the clotheslines). Two of my walking buddies got eaten alive by bed bugs (especially in that corner bunk on the left) and one woke up with a swollen bedbug on his pillow. I saw it myself.

Fellow pilgrims that came through day before/day after, that we caught up with later, were also totally bitten up.

Told Hospilatero. Seemed to care. But I wouldn't stay there again.

Friends who stayed the next night in La Faba were quizzed by the Hospilatero about bed bugs, bc so many had been coming from Villafrance del Bierzo with them!

For some reason, Albergue Fenix seems to be a magnet for bedbugs, last year, late July 2013, when I rolled into Villafranca, Fenix had 60 of the 80 beds reserved by a tour group, and the Municipal was close to getting full, I walked on to Albergue de la Piedra on the other side of town and got the last bed. I ran into another pilgrim there who told me I was really lucky, both Fenix and the Municipal had an infestation of bed bugs and both places were treated and cleaned that morning.

I feel bad for the owner, but for some reason pilgrims bring bedbugs to his place and the Municipal.
This could happen to any albergue, all it takes is one carrier to bring them in.

Last edited:
Stayed here in July 2014. Got eaten alive by bedbugs and had a miserable time trying to get them out of my gear. It was a truly horrible experience. I was not angry about the Ave Fenix until I realized that most people I met afterwards who knew where they had got Camino bedbugs (across different years) got them here.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I feel really bad for him. He is the one I mentioned who, one year, took all the beds outside and used a blowtorch on the frames, then put in new mattresses.
A day or two later, a pilgrim brought more bugs in.
It must be very frustrating for the owners, especially as this has been a beloved albergue in the past.

I think ALL the albergues need to work together to get this bedbug issue resolved.
And I think education of pilgrims when they receive their Credentials is one key.

Exactly the same September 2013. So bad, La Faba refused to allow pilgrims to bring their packs inside

Ave Fenix in Villafranca del Bierzo. My experience is "old", form July 2014. Maybe things are better now? The albergue host had sold my pre-paid bed to somebody else, and I was offered a matress on the floor in the crowded attic, and I was to tired to go and look for something else. People slept everywhere possible on the floor. The people sleeping on the floor next to the attic walls/ceiling, took all the bites from the bugs crawling ot from the cracks in the bulding, and the bed bugs feasted on them. The girl on the matress next to me ended up covered in bites that became infected, she got a fever and needed medical treatment. I met several people that got many bites in this particular albergue. Later I heard that the problem had been going on in Ave Fenix for some time but the albergue did not take action, they just continued taking on all too many guests.
You can get a few bites in a posh hotel too, but when you stuff an old attic absolutely full of people every night for weeks and months, the problem will build up. If I new about the situation in Fenix in advance, I would rather have slept outside.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My experience is "old", form July 2014.
This thread is also old, from 2015. I will close it so that we don’t keep recycling what may be out of date information. I recently saw a video of the owner, in Santiago I think, thanking people for their generosity, so maybe the albergue is getting an upgrade.

I think the albergue’s two most commented characteristics have consistently been bedbugs and the albergue’s unwavering commitment to the “camino spirit.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back