• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What about Bedbugs? The Myths, the Legends, the Realities

davebugg

A Pilgrimage is time I spend praying with my feet
Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2018, 2019, 2025
I posted this new guideline I put together in an existing thread, but I felt that it may be of help as a dedicated thread topic. As time progresses, I will be editing the post as the information or data changes.

Moderators, I understand if you decide to remove this separate thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is listed current science-based information as of 05/31/2022. Sources are from various public health, medical, and entomological sources. Keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive text, but directed toward Camino travel. Providing counsel to people and providers dealing with such issues, as well as headlice and other assorted crawlies and parasites, was one of my jobs before retiring from Chelan-Douglas Public Health District.

My coworkers thought it amusing that Dave Bugg was the staff who dealt with bugs.

Insecticides are chemicals which kill insects. Not all consumer-grade insecticides will kill bedbugs, and those that do, (typically a pyrethroid or a synthetic variant), have produced bedbug strains that are now fully resistant in many areas of the world.

There are also categories of insecticides which can act like a repellant for some insects like mosquitoes and ticks, but they will not repel bedbugs. The most commonly cited is Permethrin.

As a pyrethroid, Permethrin can kill non-resistant bedbugs. However, if you are spraying sheets or sleeping bags thinking it will keep non-resistant bedbugs at bay, the bedbug generally will survive their exposure to Permethrin long enough to find you, bite you and feed on you.

Many pilgrims do spray the inside of backpacks or luggage before travel so that any bedbugs attempting to hitch a ride on clothing or sleeping bags may be killed. If it is to work, using separate storage bags, stuff sacks, etc., must also be sprayed on their interiors. Don't forget all exterior pockets or interior dividers.

Repellents are chemicals that keep insects away. They actually work two ways: they repel and deter insects. This means that insects move away from any skin or clothing treated with a repellant, and do not feed if they encounter skin that has been treated. When applied as instructed, repellents act to create a 'vapor barrier' at the skin surface. It keeps mosquitoes, flies, and ticks from landing or crawling on the skin.

Two of the most effective and commonly used repellent chemicals are DEET (N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide), and Picaridin (1-piperidinecarboxylic acid 2-(2-hydroxyethyl)-1-methylpropylester). In repellant preparations, the higher the concentration, the more effective the repellant is.

Picaridin does not have some of the drawbacks as DEET. . . At a 20% concentration, Picaridin will have the same general level of effectiveness as an 80+% concentration of DEET. Picaridin has much less odor, and lasts longer. It is also more effective against ticks, though DEET is effective, too.

How to choose a repellant. First: Ignore the marketing names and catchy label graphics when buying a repellant. Look at the ingredient label and look for the active ingredient. (in this case DEET or Picaridin or both.) Next, look for the percentage of the active ingredient. For DEET, I prefer anything over 80%. For Picaridin, choose at least a 20% concentration.

With name brand repellants, if the ingredients listed fall into the effective category, forget the packaging and just purchase the cheapest product.

What will NOT work against bedbugs, but will irritate other pilgrims. There are NO essential or 'natural' oils, scents, goops, or chants that will repel bedbugs effectively. Tea tree oils, Neem oil, cinnamon, Eucalyptus oils, lavender, garlic, lemon, . . . All they do is provide a bedbug with a tasty marinade prior to feasting.

Studies have shown that some insects will avoid certain smells for an extremely abbreviated period, but the effect is very short lived, if it does occur.

Claims of bedbug repellency are made based on subjective 'correlation equals a causation' observations, but the claims don't hold up to scrutiny when studied. Similar, would be my claim that I have never been bitten by a bedbug while drinking Fanta Naranja, so Fanta is a bedbug repellant.

One can slather themselves with a gallon of lavender or lemon oil or garlic, but the only thing that will be repelled are other pilgrims.

Treatment for a bedbug infestation. The standard and best method now to deal with an infestation of bedbugs is with heat. Do not rely on chemical treatments. Thermal treatments of residences, lodgings, and commercial buildings does effectively eliminate wide spread infestations.

As a Pilgrim, what if you suspect, or learn about a bedbug exposure (bites, or seeing evidence of bedbugs) within a communal sleeping area? If possible, try to treat yourself, your gear, and clothing before continuing on to your next destination. You do not want to accidentally drag the critters to your next Albergue or casa rural, hotel, etc.
  1. Try to be discreet with your concerns. Quietly inform the lodging staff about what you suspect.
  2. Contain all your belongings in your backpack.
  3. Locate a dryer which can reach above 130F/55c. Although adult bedbugs, nymphs, and eggs are killed at temperatures above 115f/46.2c., the lower the temperature, the longer the treatment time will take.
  4. You do not need to do a washing cycle. It does not kill off an infestation.
  5. If you have an hour, put all soft gear (backpack, sleeping bag, etc.) and clothing into the dryer and run it for 60 minutes at 115f/46.2c or above. This will be the most gentle on fabrics.
  6. To shorten treatment, run the dryer at 135f/57.22c for 20 minutes.
  7. When your clothing has been treated, you may wish to change out of the clothing you are wearing, bag and seal it up, and then keep that bag sealed until you can dry heat treat those clothes.
After arriving home from any trip, I recommend not taking luggage or gear into the house. Leave it in a garage or on a porch, etc. Empty everything out of the backpack or luggage and use a vacuum to the interior, carefully covering all nooks and crannies. Use heat treatment or use the freezer method described below.

For clothing and fabric gear, follow the heat or freezer treatment guidelines. If you need to wash clothing or gear anyway, a hot dryer will do the job in the shortest time frame.

Treatment alternatives. Instead of a dryer, you can use an oven if there is rack space where the clothing and gear can be spread out. Using a black plastic bag may work, but it is iffy because clothing bunches up and the bedbugs can be insulated from the heat.

At home, keep your if you have deep freezer, you can use below zero temperatures to freeze the critters, but it will take a lot more time to assure a completed kill.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Dave, in the summer the hospitalero may give you clothes to wear and put everything else in a black plastic trash bag to bake in the sun if there is no dryer. We also use hot steam guns to clean sleep areas so please let us know if any bedbugs found you overnight so we can give extra attention to that area!

If a pilgrim spots a bedbug or the "tracks" or a suspected bite, shouldn't the Hospitalero - if there is one - be notified first, before any other action?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If a pilgrim spots a bedbug or the "tracks" or a suspected bite, shouldn't the Hospitalero - if there is one - be notified first, before any other action?
Yes please! The hospitalero knows what to do and how to handle with this problem, will help you to get rid of them and will take care of the bed and area where you have slept (in case you woke up with bites).

When people leave super early, they don't always say anything or perhaps the hospitalero is not on-site, but yes, please notify someone so the issue can be addressed.

Claims of bedbug repellency are made based on subjective 'correlation equals a causation' observations, but the claims don't hold up to scrutiny when studied. Similar, would be my claim that I have never been bitten by a bedbug while drinking Fanta Naranja, so Fanta is a bedbug repellant.
Not that Fanta was ever on my wish list, but thank you for reassuring me I do not need to get one as a repellent substance, @davebugg 😈

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When people leave super early, they don't always say anything or perhaps the hospitalero is not on-site, but yes, please notify someone so the issue can be addressed.
On my first Camino bedbugs were spotted by a peregrina in my room in a municipal albergue around 5am. We all got up and left, and I wrote a note detailing which room they were found in and left it at the hospitalero desk.

I chose an albergue for my next stop that indicated that it had a washer and dryer. I told the hospitalera immediately upon arrival that bedbugs were found at my previous albergue and she washed and dried everything that could go in the machines while I wore a large towel thar she provided me. My backpack and other items were put in a large plastic bag and sprayed with insecticide and left for several hours. On a warm sunny day they could have been put in a black trash bag in the sun.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We try to keep some washed clothes from the 'donation box' for people to wear while their gear is treated. Doesn't always fit, but often works.
We do the same. We have a bag with leftover men's clothes and a bag with women's clothes, and a towel with a bathrobe to go to the shower. The clothes often give big smile on everybody's face. Not really fitting, no colours matching .... but it is clean and we offer a pilgrim who is waiting for his/her stuff a quiet place in our library, no curious looks from other pilgrims ....

Very informative, Dave! We always wipe our bags, both daypack and if sent, our larger bag, with Deet Daily, before they are left for pick-up. In addition,we wipe the bags, if we are getting on a train,or plane!

I was unaware that an 80 percent concentration of deet was actually required to repel the bedbugs! Most packets have circa a 25percent concentration. Will review your information and act accordingly.

When our bags arrive ,or when we get to our location, everything goes into a large heavy duty garbage bag which we tighten with several rubber bands. We don’t use permethrin anymore.

Thanks again, Dave.

Last edited:
Yes please! The hospitalero knows what to do and how to handle with this problem, will help you to get rid of them and will take care of the bed and area where you have slept (in case you woke up with bites).
Unfortunately this is not always true.

The one time that I spotted a bedbug crawling over my pillow I was staying at a private albergue. I went immediately down to tell the hospitalero who simply shrugged her shoulders when I told her and went back to reading the morning newspaper.

At my next stop, a public albergue, I reported my prior encounter to the 20 something young woman who was registering pilgrims. She had no idea about what I should do. The albergue had a dryer and so I put as many of my things in the dryer as possible but still was wearing clothes (obviously).

I don't know if the dryer was hot enough. Anyway, I suspect that it didn't get into my stuff because I had no other problems.

@davebugg s advice is great but the bit about temperatures is not very practical. I have never yet seen temperatures written on public access clothes dryers. At best I have had the option of Hot, Medium or Cool. I choose the Hot option and hope that it is hot enough.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Three cheers. Spent quite a bit of time and effort researching prior to my 2017 pilgrimage, and it turned up exactly this info.

I spotted a bed bug (probably a lone traveling pilgrim) at about 2 am in a Los Arcos albergue and couldn’t get to a commercial dryer until Logroño. Had seen some bedbug evidence among especially reactive pilgrims in the early stage of the Frances, neither saw nor heard of any bedbugs on the Portuguese in 2019.

That experience and knowing the commercial dryer “cure” has moved bedbugs way down the concern list as I consider future Caminos.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Another important point which you didn't make is that bedbugs are not harmful to humans. They don't transmit disease or anything like that. They're just unpleasant and a bit disgusting. So doing no prep in anticipation of encountering them is a perfectly valid course of action (my own personal approach).

People who are stressed about the bedbug issue need to remind themselves that this is all in your head.

The advice about how to deal with them seems good to me but I would question the statement that putting things through a washing machine won't kill them. Don't they have to breathe?

Personally, in close to 15,000km of Caminos I've been bitten three times. Private rooms twice, municipal albergue once. I've always relied on a close visual inspection of my stuff to get rid of them, they're not that hard to spot. It's always worked.

Gerald

Thanks for the post, Dave. I've read that bed bugs are attracted to the type of carbon dioxide we emit when breathing, but as far as I know, there is only one kind so not sure if there is any truth to this? I think lots of people get bitten but not all are allergic or sensitive to their 'juice' so only certain folks react to the bites. Do you know if this is the case? I was bitten up twice in 2015 during my camino and had nasty welts on my legs but my partner seemingly wasn't.

Zzz
People who are stressed about the bedbug issue need to remind themselves that this is all in your head.

This is less than accurate. I was bitten 45 times in one night on my first camino. I wound up on a significant daily dose of antihistamines and 3 weeks of painful swollen sites. It took 3 weeks for the reaction to subside sufficiently that I wasn’t itching. Please realze that some of us have significant physical reactions to these critters.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nothing was said about silk.
Many people buy silk liners or sheets with the idea that bedbugs can't crawl on it so, they are "safe".
Yes or no?

I've been bitten by bedbugs twice, the most recent at a hotel in the United States. For me, the bites are very itchy for a few days. My plan is to bring some hydrocortisone cream with me on the Camino. That worked pretty well for me when I got bit. (Benadryl cream may be a good option too.)

FWIW... I didn't realize I was bitten right away, so I can see how easy it would be to carry them between places.

Also, worth mentioning… bedbugs often leave a little black trail behind them. You can inspect your mattress when you arrive at the albergue and look for those telltale signs. It might help give you peace of mind. (Maybe someone with more knowledge on this can provide a more complete recommendation on what to look for.)

This is like giving consolation that pain is all in your head. Itchy welts are definitely on your body, not in your head.
I think lots of people get bitten but not all are allergic or sensitive to their 'juice' so only certain folks react to the bites. Do you know if this is the case?
Yes. This is the case. Many people have no reaction but I haven't found what the proportions might be.
I would question the statement that putting things through a washing machine won't kill them. Don't they have to breathe?
Putting them through a washer might kill them. I haven't seen any studies of how to drown a bedbug. It probably depends on agitation speed, how much stuff you have in the load, what type of machine/fabric/ detergent, etc. I doubt that this has been studied! Simpler to rely on a dryer temperature.
Many people buy silk liners or sheets with the idea that bedbugs can't crawl on it so, they are "safe".
No good evidence of this, although some companies make the self-interested claim.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very informative, Dave! We always wipe our bags, both daypack and if sent, our larger bag, with Deet Daily, before they are left for pick-up. In addition,we wipe the bags, if we are getting on a train,or plane!

I was unaware that an 80 percent concentration of deet was actually required to repel the bedbugs! Most packets have circa a 25percent concentration. Will review your information and act accordingly.

When our bags arrive ,or when we get to our location, everything goes into a large heavy duty garbage bag which we tighten with several rubber bands. We don’t use permethrin anymore.

Thanks again, Dave.

Technically, Deet can be effective at lower concentrations, but it increases the need to reapply it more often. It also can make it difficult to get the coverage needed.

One thing that can kill bedbugs quickly, as it does with most insects, is isopropyl/rubbing alcohol. Spritzing or applying a good, wet layer of alcohol to the inside of a backpack can work. My backpacks incorporate an ability to 'roll down' the top and cinch it closed under the top flap against rain. I have been know to dump rubbing alcohol inside the empty pack, cinch it closed, then shake it around a bit and let it sit for a few minutes.

After dumping out the alcohol, the inside can be quickly dried out and returned to use.

I don't think ethyl alcohol would be effective at the concentrations found in Vino Tinto, just in case someone thought to using it to pour into a backpack and then pouring it out from the pack into a glass.

The advice about how to deal with them seems good to me but I would question the statement that putting things through a washing machine won't kill them. Don't they have to breathe?

Hi, Gerald. There are three things to consider:

1. Bedbugs can survive washing cycles as they can live a surprisingly long time without air. Washing machines do not usually completely fill due to manufactured technologies to conserve water. This allows clothing to frequently surface and then submerge. If the water temperature is able to achieve a high enough temperature for a long enough period, this would help extinguish the critters.

2. If the bedbug has laid eggs, the eggs have far more resilience to being submerged for very prolonged periods, as well as survive higher temperatures for longer periods of time.

3. We know for certain that a dry heat, lasting for a set amount of time, will kill all bedbugs. It is quicker, too. With washing it is possible they can survive. If wanting to treat sleeping bags, washing can be a headache and time consuming. Using a dryer or an oven or a 'hotbox' will be effective, takes less time, and for sleeping bags makes it far more easy to accomplish.

Yes or no?

Short answer is no. Bedbugs can crawl on silk, like other fabrics. What bedbugs can't do is penetrate the tight weave of silk, but that holds true to any material a sheet is made from.

If one wishes to use a barrier in case of bedbugs, silk is lightweight and breathable so one could make a cocooning sleep sack, a sort of Bedbug Bivouac, that envelopes the head and body. There is also insect netting that will keep bedbugs out, too.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes or no?
I can assure you that bedbugs don't care about fiber content. The one time that I was sure that I was bitten by bedbugs I was sleeping in my silk sleep sack.

I was also a bit surprised at this number.

It seems that Deet products are only available up to 30% in Canada.
For optimum effectiveness for the longest period of time with Deet when dealing with flies and mosquitoes, higher concentrations work better. For lower concentrations, I would reapply more frequently, especially if there is a lot of heavy activity and sweating involved.

Various nations, and California, have restrictions on repellents and/or concentration levels of active ingredients based on various health studies citing potential risks. Permethrin availability seems to be one such item that varies in accessibility.

If Picaridin is available then that would be my personal preference when low Deet concentrations are the only choice. Overall, I have been switching to Picaridin based repellants anyway.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If Picaridin is available then that would be my personal preference when low Deet concentrations are the only choice. Overall, I have been switching to Picaridin based repellants anyway.
I like Picaridin too - DEET can damage plastics and synthetics. It messed up the inside of my backpack a bit when the hospitalera sprayed the heck out of it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@davebugg you mentioned bedbugs becoming resistant to insecticides. Do they use Ivermectin in these cases?

Kewl. . That looks handy. :)

When reading the instructions, note the amount of body coverage one wipe provides, such as to hands, arms, and head area. Also note any expiration date listed, and when opened if it any wipes appear to have dried out.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@davebugg you mentioned bedbugs becoming resistant to insecticides. Do they use Ivermectin in these cases?

We do for resistant headlice. The appropriate dose is given and when the louse ingests the blood when feeding, it will go toes up. As an environmental insecticide I am not familiar with any treatment.

Bedbugs are opportunistic feeders on a person, rather than a person acting as a host, so I do not see Ivermectin being used as an individual treatment solution. But, again, I have not pursued this.

Wow, another bed bug thread. I really appreciate all the information, presented in a calm and rational way. But I confess I always find these threads to be a bit anxiety-producing, sort of like those videos at the beginning of covid about how to sanitize your groceries when you brought them into the house. I think there are many people like me who have been bitten by bedbugs (3-5 times on the camino) and have had a moderate reaction, but whose real fear is bringing them home. Whether they are disease vectors or not, getting rid of them once they are in your house is a very expensive and prolonged affair.

So while I have always followed the protocols once I was bitten (and I sing the praises of the hospitaleros who have done a lot of the work for me), I always follow a few simple steps when I get home.

When I get home from the camino, whether I’ve been bitten by bedbugs or not, my husband brings a bag of clean clothes to the airport. I change into them in a bathroom and put everything, pack and all, into a big black plastic bag. I get a few looks when I leave the local airport, but hey.

I leave everything in the garage, and wait for hot sunny days to put the bag into the sun outside. Not very high tech, but no chemicals required and so far so good.

I posted this new guideline I put together in an existing thread, but I felt that it may be of help as a dedicated thread topic. As time progresses, I will be editing the post as the information or data changes.

Moderators, I understand if you decide to remove this separate thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is listed current science-based information as of 05/31/2022. Sources are from various public health, medical, and entomological sources. Keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive text, but directed toward Camino travel. Providing counsel to people and providers dealing with such issues, as well as headlice and other assorted crawlies and parasites, was one of my jobs before retiring from Chelan-Douglas Public Health District.

My coworkers thought it amusing that Dave Bugg was the staff who dealt with bugs.

Insecticides are chemicals which kill insects. Not all consumer-grade insecticides will kill bedbugs, and those that do, (typically a pyrethroid or a synthetic variant), have produced bedbug strains that are now fully resistant in many areas of the world.

There are also categories of insecticides which can act like a repellant for some insects like mosquitoes and ticks, but they will not repel bedbugs. The most commonly cited is Permethrin.

As a pyrethroid, Permethrin can kill non-resistant bedbugs. However, if you are spraying sheets or sleeping bags thinking it will keep non-resistant bedbugs at bay, the bedbug generally will survive their exposure to Permethrin long enough to find you, bite you and feed on you.

Many pilgrims do spray the inside of backpacks or luggage before travel so that any bedbugs attempting to hitch a ride on clothing or sleeping bags may be killed. If it is to work, using separate storage bags, stuff sacks, etc., must also be sprayed on their interiors. Don't forget all exterior pockets or interior dividers.

Repellents are chemicals that keep insects away. They actually work two ways: they repel and deter insects. This means that insects move away from any skin or clothing treated with a repellant, and do not feed if they encounter skin that has been treated. When applied as instructed, repellents act to create a 'vapor barrier' at the skin surface. It keeps mosquitoes, flies, and ticks from landing or crawling on the skin.

Two of the most effective and commonly used repellent chemicals are DEET (N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide), and Picaridin (1-piperidinecarboxylic acid 2-(2-hydroxyethyl)-1-methylpropylester). In repellant preparations, the higher the concentration, the more effective the repellant is.

Picaridin does not have some of the drawbacks as DEET. . . At a 20% concentration, Picaridin will have the same general level of effectiveness as an 80+% concentration of DEET. Picaridin has much less odor, and lasts longer. It is also more effective against ticks, though DEET is effective, too.

How to choose a repellant. First: Ignore the marketing names and catchy label graphics when buying a repellant. Look at the ingredient label and look for the active ingredient. (in this case DEET or Picaridin or both.) Next, look for the percentage of the active ingredient. For DEET, I prefer anything over 80%. For Picaridin, choose at least a 20% concentration.

With name brand repellants, if the ingredients listed fall into the effective category, forget the packaging and just purchase the cheapest product.

What will NOT work against bedbugs, but will irritate other pilgrims. There are NO essential or 'natural' oils, scents, goops, or chants that will repel bedbugs effectively. Tea tree oils, Neem oil, cinnamon, Eucalyptus oils, lavender, garlic, lemon, . . . All they do is provide a bedbug with a tasty marinade prior to feasting.

Studies have shown that some insects will avoid certain smells for an extremely abbreviated period, but the effect is very short lived, if it does occur.

One can slather themselves with a gallon of lavender or lemon oil or garlic, but the only thing that will be repelled are other pilgrims.

Treatment for a bedbug infestation. The standard and best method now to deal with an infestation of bedbugs is with heat. Do not rely on chemical treatments. Thermal treatments of residences, lodgings, and commercial buildings does effectively eliminate wide spread infestations.

As a Pilgrim, what if you suspect, or learn about a bedbug exposure (bites, or seeing evidence of bedbugs) within a communal sleeping area? If possible, try to treat yourself, your gear, and clothing before continuing on to your next destination. You do not want to accidentally drag the critters to your next Albergue or casa rural, hotel, etc.
  1. Try to be discreet with your concerns. Quietly inform the lodging staff about what you suspect.
  2. Contain all your belongings in your backpack.
  3. Locate a dryer which can reach above 130F/55c. Although adult bedbugs, nymphs, and eggs are killed at temperatures above 115f/46.2c., the lower the temperature, the longer the treatment time will take.
  4. You do not need to do a washing cycle. It does not kill off an infestation.
  5. If you have an hour, put all soft gear (backpack, sleeping bag, etc.) and clothing into the dryer and run it for 60 minutes at 115f/46.2c or above. This will be the most gentle on fabrics.
  6. To shorten treatment, run the dryer at 135f/57.22c for 20 minutes.
  7. When your clothing has been treated, you may wish to change out of the clothing you are wearing, bag and seal it up, and then keep that bag sealed until you can dry heat treat those clothes.
After arriving home from any trip, I recommend not taking luggage or gear into the house. Leave it in a garage or on a porch, etc. Empty everything out of the backpack or luggage and use a vacuum to the interior, carefully covering all nooks and crannies. Use heat treatment or use the freezer method described below.

For clothing and fabric gear, follow the heat or freezer treatment guidelines. If you need to wash clothing or gear anyway, a hot dryer will do the job in the shortest time frame.

Treatment alternatives. Instead of a dryer, you can use an oven if there is rack space where the clothing and gear can be spread out. Using a black plastic bag may work, but it is iffy because clothing bunches up and the bedbugs can be insulated from the heat.

At home, keep your if you have deep freezer, you can use below zero temperatures to freeze the critters, but it will take a lot more time to assure a completed kill.
Most pilgrims seem to always use their sleeping bag in albergues, even when blankets are available. I do the opposite. On a previous trip, I got bedbugged in a hotel while using my sleeping bag. They got in my bag and went with me to the next albergue. Had to find a commercial dryer to roast them. Had I used only the blanket in the hotel, I would still have been bitten, but would be spared the hassle of de-bugging my sleeping bag and also carrying the bugs to other lodging.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I prefer to use my sleepingbag as I don't know when the blankets have been washed for the last time: last week, last month, half a year ago, last year?

I had "breakfast, lunch, and dinner"bite sites, the so-called configuration of bedbug bite welts, major itchiness, and gratitude for the memories we brought home with us. But were they bedbug bites? This scene matured after arriving back in the US, briefly dropping off backpacks at home and departing with camping gear for a wedding that I would officiate with maximum itchiness a couple of days later. By the time we arrived back home we couldn't rule out bedbugs as the cause. We put some belongings in the freezor, bagged our backpacking stuff and used the oxygen deprivation method by adding dry ice to the bags. I even bagged the mattress and did the dry ice treatment on it. The bed was safe. Online, I found that a somewhat dodgy hotel we had stayed in had a history of bedbugs. Good circumstantial evidence, right? Years of teaching physicians about diagnostic thinking hadn't dimmed too much with age and I lilke to tinker. The quest became to catch one of these ancient survivalists and make a positive body count. They had had days to free range in our bedroom and would be hungry. I double face tapped the legs of the bed and then made the traps. The traps were made with CO2 emitting bottles with sugar and yeast and talcum powder in a small container so the crafty bugs couldn't get out. Then we waited. Result: no bugs, no more bites. Most likely, mosquitos were the culprits. I'd like this to be a helpful comment but I can't confirm that the dry ice method works. Has anyone else tried it? It's easy to get dry ice in the US, but don't know if it adds any advantage to the other scientifically confirmed methods that Dave did helpfully describe. I always carry a large garbage bag in my pack for emergency shelter, but it now serves a bedbug prevention function, when recommended by hosts.

I had "breakfast, lunch, and dinner"bite sites, the so-called configuration of bedbug bite welts, major itchiness, and gratitude for the memories we brought home with us. But were they bedbug bites? This scene matured after arriving back in the US, briefly dropping off backpacks at home and departing with camping gear for a wedding that I would officiate with maximum itchiness a couple of days later. By the time we arrived back home we couldn't rule out bedbugs as the cause. We put some belongings in the freezor, bagged our backpacking stuff and used the oxygen deprivation method by adding dry ice to the bags. I even bagged the mattress and did the dry ice treatment on it. The bed was safe. Online, I found that a somewhat dodgy hotel we had stayed in had a history of bedbugs. Good circumstantial evidence, right? Years of teaching physicians about diagnostic thinking hadn't dimmed too much with age and I lilke to tinker. The quest became to catch one of these ancient survivalists and make a positive body count. They had had days to free range in our bedroom and would be hungry. I double face tapped the legs of the bed and then made the traps. The traps were made with CO2 emitting bottles with sugar and yeast and talcum powder in a small container so the crafty bugs couldn't get out. Then we waited. Result: no bugs, no more bites. Most likely, mosquitos were the culprits. I'd like this to be a helpful comment but I can't confirm that the dry ice method works. Has anyone else tried it? It's easy to get dry ice in the US, but don't know if it adds any advantage to the other scientifically confirmed methods that Dave did helpfully describe. I always carry a large garbage bag in my pack for emergency shelter, but it now serves a bedbug prevention function, when recommended by hosts.

A lightbulb finally clicked on and brought to mind the whole subject of: "Are my bites really from bedbugs"? Can other small biting insects create similar welts? Can it do so in a manner that mimics the timing for a bedbug biting at night?

In looking at the literature, and from my own personal observations, Northern Spain and Basque country has an abundance of small flying insects called Biting Midges or No-see-ums. These are Ceratopogonidae which are a family of flies, generally 1–3 millimeters in length. The family includes more than 5,000 species, distributed worldwide.

Biting Midges feast on blood, and produce visible welts and spots as their saliva, (injected to thin blood),causes an allergic reaction that is also itchy. Moreover, they seem to be prevalent in geographically wide areas around agriculture and farm animals.

A photo showing one appearance to a Biting Midge welt.

1654462752817.png

Now here is the interesting thing. A welt from a bite can take from hours to a few days to show up. Potentially, a pilgrim can be bitten during the day while walking, have no welts when going to bed, then have the pilgrim wake up the next morning with a series of welts.

If there are open windows at night, this can also allow Biting Midges to access a buffet of pilgrims in the throes of sleep.

This can explain a lot of the discrepancies of a lodging or albergue having no visible signs of bedbugs or a bedbug infestation, and yet one wakes up with 'bedbug' bites. This does not discount that an unrecognized bedbug infestation is present, it merely provides a real potential for an alternate explanation.

If it is suspected that Biting Midges are present while walking, an application of Picaridin to exposed skin will effectively repel them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dave made my point better than I did. Not all insect bites are from bedbugs. As a nod to brevity, I didn't provide all the details that may support my conclusion. The windows were open at a B&B near Gatwick before leaving Europe and at the B&B in Ashland where we stayed on our arrival in the states. The next day, we drove home, where we stayed only an hour or so. I observed a few mosquitos at the first B&B and lots of healthy ones in Ashland. (It's a marital issue how much ventilation is encouraged and, jet lagged, I didn't bother to search for insect repellent. A mistake) A positive mosquito body identification entered into the marital issue. I was aware of the bedbug problem with lodging on these hikes and that notion kindled as I itched and travelled to the next event. I had not had such a pronounced reaction to mosquitos before, even in Minnesota, where they are big. I have shared myself with midges in BC and Scotland, as well as ticks and fleas. I got the latter bites hitching a ride back to a gite in France in the back seat of car that was also shared by dogs and fleas , just to retrieve my phone charger, which I forgot. I wasn't ready to hike another 40 miles round trip to get it . I payed for the ride and got a personal story. My motto is that you have to have trouble to get to know a country. All of those bites caused some allergic reaction. I couldn't rule out bedbugs and definitely didn't want to risk an infestation in our home. And I liked the challenge of making a definitive bedbug diagnosis. OK. It's true that I didn't see a mosquito feasting on my skin. Insect bites are an annoyance mainly and rarely a vector for disease transmission. Simple precautions work.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Short answer is no. Bedbugs can crawl on silk, like other fabrics. What bedbugs can't do is penetrate the tight weave of silk, but that holds true to any material a sheet is made from.

If one wishes to use a barrier in case of bedbugs, silk is lightweight and breathable so one could make a cocooning sleep sack, a sort of Bedbug Bivouac, that envelopes the head and body. There is also insect netting that will keep bedbugs out, too.
What about the seams? The first time I was bitten, I was using my silk liner.

Another question, if they penetrate your silk liner through the seams, are they more likely to hitch a ride with you? On the other hand, if you use a blanket from the albergue, are they more likely to stay in the blanket?

Another question, if they penetrate your silk liner through the seams, are they more likely to hitch a ride with you? On the other hand, if you use a blanket from the albergue, are they more likely to stay in the blanket?
They are too big to get in through the seams. They get in the same way you do - the big opening at the top.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
They are too big to get in through the seams. They get in the same
Agree. I have both sides sewn up on my liner. If I suspect bedbugs, I would wrap it closely around my neck, and put insect repellent (Deet or picardin) on my face and neck.

Last edited:

Bedbugs got in my sleeping bag on the Norte. They fed on me the night after that and may have set up housekeeping in the successive hostel. That’s why I try to keep all my stuff, including sleeping bag, as far from the sleeping area as possible.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As time progresses, I will be editing the post as the information or data changes.
Thanks for sharing this information, Dave. As always, much appreciated.

One thing to be aware of is that after a certain amount of time has passed, posts become uneditable. That's what I discovered with my video lists. If your intent is to keep the post up to date as information changes, you may want to think about how to accomplish this. One option is to create a resource document and link to it from the first post while it is still editable. You can also post notices to this thread when the resource changes.

Another alternative is to see about closing this thread and posting another one if edits are needed after edits are closed. Or you can see if you can get a moderator to assist with edits (May be feasible if edits are infrequent.

It may end up being a non-issue, but when I read this I saw it was looming based on my own experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for such a useful, reassuring and informative post @davebugg . My main question is to do with my concern at putting any of my gear in a dryer at pretty high temperatures. I think most of it would shrink, backpack included (mine is a Gossamer Gear one), and I’d be left in Spain with nothing but the hotel’s towel. I presume this mustn’t be an issue but I can’t work out why it isn’t because synthetics do shrink, as does merino wool. What’s your take on this?

Thanks for such a useful, reassuring and informative post @davebugg . My main question is to do with my concern at putting any of my gear in a dryer at pretty high temperatures. I think most of it would shrink, backpack included (mine is a Gossamer Gear one), and I’d be left in Spain with nothing but the hotel’s towel. I presume this mustn’t be an issue but I can’t work out why it isn’t because synthetics do shrink, as does merino wool. What’s your take on this?
The actual temperatures needed to kill bedbugs can be fairly low, 116-120f/46.5 - 49c for 60 minutes should be fine. Hardier stuff can run for 25 minutes at, say, 135f/57c. Plus, do not wash first. Avoid wetting the fabric and that will go a long way to preventing shrinkage.

Wool fibers and threads don't shrink as much as they felt. That is to say the scales on a fiber catch on the scales of a nearby fiber. If the fabric is banging around in a clothes drier it is more likely that scales that were offset from each other before have interlocked pulling adjoining elastic wool fibers together. Heat may cause the scales to open up and thus have a better chance of catching each other. If the garment is not moving there is a smaller chance of the fibers felting.

So putting a wool garment out in the sun in a black bag is unlikely to cause shrinkage. Some clothes driers have a removable shelf to place items that can take the heat but not the tumbling. Use these if you must dry wool in a machine.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I really appreciate all the suggestions and discussions. I have been reading lots and have a couple of questions. I have a background in infectious diseases/former lab tech so I think a bit obsessive-compulsively sometimes and I tend to have blood that creatures seem to LOVE AND I also react to them so forgive me: 1. Is there any evidence of less crawling (I know it is not a guarantee) that putting a plastic liner on the bed under the sleeping bags will reduce bed bugs crawling on top of the plastics, knowing that I need to fold the plastic in a way that only the outside of the plastic will stay on the outside so there is no infectivity from rolling the plastic sheet) 2. How long would I have to put my stuff in a freezer to kill the beasties and 3. Any help with DE (diatomaceous earth) as this helps with some other creatures with exoskeletons?

How to unshrink merino wool:

Don't tumble dry your backpack. With the tumbling it deformed the inner plastic support panel of mine, making it very curved.
At Rabanal, where I have been a hospitalero, we had a portable steam cleaner and every other day or so there was occasion to empty someone's pack and wash everything inside, while the seams of the pack were steam-cleaned, and then the pack and contents were dried in the sun. We used to steam clean the beds and mattresses too if we thought that someone with bedbugs had been sleeping there.

Last edited:
It might be great if the hosts of the albergues might consider to start using DE - diatomaceous earth, which is inexpensive and nontoxic as an idea! Perhaps along the more common locations where they seem to stay...
After reading the following I don't feel very good about the DE method of control of bed bugs.

After reading the following I don't feel very good about the DE method of control of bed bugs.

WOW thank you so much for posting this! Although it is published in an industry journal, the study seems objective and credible with good reference lists and demonstrated not the great results I had hoped for. Looks like there were a couple of other possibilities but I don't know enough about whether Silica gel or other desiccants might be more feasible alternatives.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.