• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bedbugs - What is your blood type?

What is your blood type if you HAVE been bitten by bedbugs?

• Total voters
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ok. I have had them on me and they have woken me. Surely they have bitten me but I have not had a response to their bites. This is a good poll but you might want to separate bites with responses.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Interesting! I’m looking forward to the results of this survey. I haven’t been bitten (and I haven’t voted), so feel free to delete this post.

If blood type is a determining factor, it seems that the bugs should somehow be able to detect the type before they bite or, perhaps, bite and take a sip and then decide if they want the meal. Some research on mosquitoes has suggested, that scent is an important factor for attracting the insects, specifically the combination of CO2 and l-lactic acid (an isomer of lactic acid) and as the amount and composition of those substances can vary among different people, some may appear more attractive to the insect than others.

I think I am O+. I have been bitten on 2 occasions now ☹ and every time I reacted badly 🙄

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Interesting! I’m looking forward to the results of this survey. I haven’t been bitten (and I haven’t voted), so feel free to delete this post.

If blood type is a determining factor, it seems that the bugs should somehow be able to detect the type before they bite or, perhaps, bite and take a sip and then decide if they want the meal. Some research on mosquitoes has suggested, that scent is an important factor for attracting the insects, specifically the combination of CO2 and l-lactic acid (an isomer of lactic acid) and as the amount and composition of those substances can vary among different people, some may appear more attractive to the insect than others.
My sister was very attractive to mosquitos, while I was rarely bitten on our travels together...it was about a 7 to 1 ratio, so there must be something to it.
I like to take a "sip" before my meal, too... especially on the Camino.😉

You should also note the percentage of blood types in the population, to see if it works out to be the same. Here are the blood types in Canada (numbers are rounded, from this source), which should give a reasonable cross-ethnic average:
A+ 36%
A- 6%
B+ 8%
B- 1%
AB+ 2%
AB- 1%
O+ 39%
O- 7%

If I had been O+ instead of B+, our survey would be right on track!

Like others we have not been bitten so have not voted. However it will be interesting to see the results and also the comments as to reaction - none/severe and whether that too goes with a particular blood group or type.
Just for the record, as non-bitten, we are A- and A+ (with A- recessive)

€83,-
Like others we have not been bitten so have not voted. However it will be interesting to see the results and also the comments as to reaction - none/severe and whether that too goes with a particular blood group or type.
Just for the record, as non-bitten, we are A- and A+ (with A- recessive)
I, also, am an unbitten A+. For the record...

I, also, am an unbitten A+. For the record...
But.... everyone else was bitten when I was, on both occasions (2013 and last Summer). It wasn’t just me. Never thought of asking their blood group though 😂 The only difference was in the reactions to the bites.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well... I haven't been bitten (or rather, I haven't reacted to bites - despite finding bugs in my bed once, not on the Camino), but my mother has been bitten once or twice - we have walked the Camino together and shared double rooms. And we are both the same blood type: O+.

I would be interested to know the blood groups of those who HAVENT had a reaction. This is a separate question to whether the bed bugs track down certain blood groups when they are hungry! Whether or not we have been bitten is likely not the only issue . I suspect that only the allergic people will react strongly enough to guarantee they notice the bites. And generally allergic tendencies are much stronger in those with asthma eczema hay fever etc.. Repeated exposure may make the reactions worse too. Blood group and allergic tendencies do not generally correlate. Maybe there is something unique to bed bug bites?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have been bitten on three occasions (two Caminos) and with really severe reaction once (over 200 "bites"). But I don't have the slightest idea what my blood type might be.

Because mosquitos also like me I guess it's B(eer)+ :D

PS (That plus is for "Too much is not enough" ;) )

I have also not voted as I have not been bitten. Blood group A+

€149,-
I was just thinking...I don't think a bedbug would know ahead of time what blood type a person has. It seems they would have to bite you first anyway to get a "sample", in which case you'd already have been bitten. I think the bigger factor is if or how a person reacts to them. Or maybe how your breath smells when combibed with the CO2...I think they choose to gravitate towards the ones who imbibe the most! 😛 😉😂

Last edited:
B+ and allergic

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Is that the case for flies also? They drove me batty on the Camino. (Maybe it was just the BO. It was hotter than Hades some days.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been bitten on three occasions (two Caminos) and with really severe reaction once (over 200 "bites"). But I don't have the slightest idea what my blood type might be.

Because mosquitos also like me I guess it's B(eer)+ :D

PS (That plus is for "Too much is not enough" ;) )

Hey Kinky, this one for you.

Enjoy

ABC444CF-C5F6-4C86-B6DC-2FCC5BDFBF80.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here's some trivia from a bedbug expert I heard give a talk: only 20% of humans are allergic to and react to bed bug bites, which can makes it tricky to tell when a room is clear of bedbugs. There was no association with blood type.

I'm curious to know how people KNOW they have been bitten if they have no reaction? Do you sit and watch them bite you? (serious, not being facetious)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm curious to know how people KNOW they have been bitten if they have no reaction? Do you sit and watch them bite you? (serious, not being facetious)
Maybe the bites are visible but they don't itch?

For example when I counted more than 200 bites over few days that surely couldn't be 70x3 (if you believe that breakfast&lunch&dinner pattern which does happen) bedbugs. I washed and hot aired all my stuff 4 times but bites kept reapearing. That's an reaction/allergy I'd say.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, you're close but that's Croatian beer which I like very much and I'll have some in the beginning of next week when I take my parents to the Croatian seaside for a couple of days. Or maybe they are taking me? :D
Cheers!
Ah, the memories! I've been to Dubrovnik, but only for a day; so beautiful and had perfect weather. Lucky you, Kinky...no matter "who takes who"! 😊

Well, you're close but that's Croatian beer which I like very much and I'll have some in the beginning of next week when I take my parents to the Croatian seaside for a couple of days. Or maybe they are taking me? :D
Cheers!

It would be an honor.

Maybe one of these days share a “Pivo” at the shores of Lake Bled and share Camino anecdotes. Pretty country with very nice people. Really enjoyed it.

Until next time. Buen Camino

Some years ago I shared a hotel room in Prague with my husband and son. In the morning my son asked me if there was a scratch on his back, as his father had told him he was bleeding. I realised it was bedbugs and when we looked, the beds were seething, the bloated bugs were visible on the headboard and in the showerbox (after we'd showered). Only my son seemed to have been bitten. He didn't have any reaction. We're all O+. I also experienced bedbugs on the Camino, but didn't appear to have been bitten. The Prague hotel, by the way, was 5 Star, and we had been upgraded. We suspected the room had been closed up for some time.

This is a great discussion. My question is, what is the best defence for bedbugs as it appears that it is a common problem on the Camino?

€83,-
Check your bed and surroundings, use your flashlight if need be, before you put anything on the bed. If there are bugs, eggs, other signs of them, then tell the hospitaler@ and move on. You can treat your pack, liner etc with permethrin or pyrethrin spray before you leave home, but please don't spray the beds. Or rub some insect repellent on yourself though I'm not sure how much it helps.

Check your bed and surroundings, use your flashlight if need be, before you put anything on the bed. If there are bugs, eggs, other signs of them, then tell the hospitaler@ and move on. You can treat your pack, liner etc with permethrin or pyrethrin spray before you leave home, but please don't spray the beds. Or rub some insect repellent on yourself though I'm not sure how much it helps.
Thank you great advice

This is a great discussion. My question is, what is the best defence for bedbugs as it appears that it is a common problem on the Camino?
Here is a blog post I wrote about it. So far, so good...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I could see three bites on my leg, but they didn't itch
If you're allergic like me, it's not just the itch. The bite starts off small like a mozzie bite and then a huge hot welt appears around each bite, about the size of an Aussie 20 cent piece. The actual bite area then blisters with multiple little blisters all the while itching. If you're a scratcher these then end up scabbed and weeping. The sooner you can use an antihistamine cream the better.

If you're allergic like me, it's not just the itch. The bite starts off small like a mozzie bite and then a huge hot welt appears around each bite, about the size of an Aussie 20 cent piece. The actual bite area then blisters with multiple little blisters all the while itching. If you're a scratcher these then end up scabbed and weeping. The sooner you can use an antihistamine cream the better.

Yeah, I've seen welts the size of a US Half-Dollar. Lucky for those who aren't allergic and don't swell up.

I am a mosquito magnet and have been bitten by mosquitoes with huge welts. My recent Camino I got the mosquitoes, and felt bedbugs on my ankles. Had the telltale 3 bites one both ankles, but no welts or itching.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm another AB- , have not (so far) been bitten by bedbugs.
On the other hand, dog fleas find me irresistable & I have a strong reaction to flea bites.
Mosquitoes .... seems to depend on the species. Not that we ever see any mosquitoes here in Canada 🤣🤣🤣

Is that the case for flies also? They drove me batty on the Camino. (Maybe it was just the BO. It was hotter than Hades some days.)
I was plagued with flies buzzing around my face, arms, and legs until I stopped using a moisturizer before walking. Flies gone!

I'm A+ and very little bites me. When I do get bitten I rarely get much of a reaction. My partner is also A+ and everything for miles bites him, then he comes out in big lumps.

What I'm REALLY interested in is those who HAVE been bitten :) and their blood type.
Please be sure to vote if you HAVE been bitten.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm A+ and very little bites me. When I do get bitten I rarely get much of a reaction. My partner is also A+ and everything for miles bites him, then he comes out in big lumps.
Looks like this whole poll has no real answers to gain by it then...blood type seems to have no bearing on if a person gets bit or not...Your answer proves it.

I was plagued with flies buzzing around my face, arms, and legs until I stopped using a moisturizer before walking. Flies gone!
I am going back in September of 2020. Will definitely try. Although I hate dry skin.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I have a fairly high iron and copper content. I am rarely bitten, even by mosquitoes. I always thought that was the reason. Never been bitten by bed bugs

I always inspect but have still been bitten. It only takes one bed bug...

I'm now into using physical barriers. I use an extra long silk sleeping bag liner, into which I have inserted hat elastic around the rim, pull it up over my head and cinch the elastic tight. So I'm in a shroud. The silk is thin and easy to breath through.
If I need to use my down throw for warmth, I put it inside the sleeping bag liner. I don't want to carry bed bugs away so I keep everything sealed up when near a bed - my pack inside a large dry bag (it is actually a dry bag liner for a large pack, so my small pack fits inside it easily). Clothes etc sorted into separate dry bags for when I need to take them out. Which I try to do when away from the bed or bunks (bathrooms with ceramic tiles are good). A garbage bag and zip lock plastic bags will do instead of dry bags, but they get destroyed pretty quickly.
I also spray my bag with permethrin before leaving home.
It sounds as if I'm obsessed, but when actually on camino it is easy and automatic. Just becomes part of the routine.

Looks like this whole poll has no real answers to gain by it then...blood type seems to have no bearing on if a person gets bit or not...Your answer proves it.
My answer doesn't prove it by itself, but looking at the responses there really doesn't seem to be anything in common.

The percentages reflect the general percentages of the population’s blood type. For example I can’t take solace that being A- population according to this poll only get bitten 7-8% of the time as this only reflects general blood type breakdowns.

Have been bitten on every (6) camino and have the allergic reaction -- large red itchy areas with blisters filled with pus. I spray my sleeping bag and pack with permethrin but still get bitten. Am A+ and I voted. Sigh.

€149,-
Want to hear something super interesting?

Prior to walking the Camino, I'd never been bit by a bedbug but I've always been an attractive candidate for mosquitoes and I have never been allergic to bee stings.

On the Camino I turned into a bedbug Golden Corral. Tons of bites and I welted up real good.

Then I came home, and was stung by a ground wasp and ended up in the hospital with severe anaphalaxic reaction. Maybe I shouldn't be connecting those dots, but it sure seems suspicious to me.

Not bitten. I believe eating garlic in your diet helps to ward off mosquitoes etc.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Want to hear something super interesting?

Prior to walking the Camino, I'd never been bit by a bedbug but I've always been an attractive candidate for mosquitoes and I have never been allergic to bee stings.

On the Camino I turned into a bedbug Golden Corral. Tons of bites and I welted up real good.

Then I came home, and was stung by a ground wasp and ended up in the hospital with severe anaphalaxic reaction. Maybe I shouldn't be connecting those dots, but it sure seems suspicious to me.

The chemicals in wasp and bee stings are very different, but wise to take care anyway. http://archive.boston.com/business/articles/2010/05/17/how_do_bee_and_wasp_stings_differ/

I voted. I'm A+, and have been bitten, but did not have a reaction.
I'm A+ also. Three small red spots above my ankle. Didn't even know I had them until during a someone mentioned that they bit in threes and on the lower leg. Lo and behold three red spots. No big deal. Perhaps bedbugs or something else from walking off trail to go potty.

someone mentioned that they bit in threes and on the lower leg
They also bite in 1s, 2s, 4s, etc., and on any part of the body that they can access. The point is that they are often multiple bites.

The survey results are close to the distribution of blood types across the population. In other words, the data suggests that bedbugs have no preference.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
O+, 3 bites in a row, itched but no worse reaction.
A+, Male. Three red dots on lower leg. Didn't even know I had them until someone mentioned where one typically has bites and they come in threes, so I looked carefully. Question, is it mostly the ladies?

€60,-
Hola Annie - great post. I am O+ and on my 2017 pilgrimage my "camino daughter" in the bed next to mine was bitten, but I was not. However I did thoroughly spray my sleeping bag before leaving Oz. Cheers

Bed bugs are confirmed to a dark environment! Recent research exposes that bed bugs attracted to certain colors, supremely for red and black colors. Because these colors mimic two things that they will ever go for darkness and blood

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is so nice to see someone has resurrected a bed bug thread. It almost feels like things are back to normal.

I don't think there is any scientific evidence that bed bugs have a particular preference for one blood type or another - it is hard to imagine they could detect one blood type from another, without actually biting someone.

I've also found that the colour of my sleeping bag makes no difference. But it may be other things - the particular odor of a person would be one. I'm a magnet for them and I've been told I smell quite sweet - so perhaps it is that!

It is so nice to see someone has resurrected a bed bug thread. It almost feels like things are back to normal.

I don't think there is any scientific evidence that bed bugs have a particular preference for one blood type or another - it is hard to imagine they could detect one blood type from another, without actually biting someone.

I've also found that the colour of my sleeping bag makes no difference. But it may be other things - the particular odor of a person would be one. I'm a magnet for them and I've been told I smell quite sweet - so perhaps it is that!
Well, maybe. I agree that different people have different scents. I can often detect someone with heart issues by their scent. Dogs can detect cancer and other scents. Bedbugs definitely detect CO2.

Since blood type antigens can be found in the saliva and tears of secretors, it may be possible that mosquitoes can sense these antigens as they approach a person. So if mosquitos can sense them, maybe bedbugs can. Just interesting to me that A+ and 0 have been bitten the most.

Grrowing up, my sister would be bitten by mosquitoes on our family camping trips and have huge welts all over hr arms and legs on family camping trips. I barely had a bite or two...although we both are from the same gene pool.
I often hear similar stories of bedbug bites on this forum.

Grrowing up, my sister would be bitten by mosquitoes on our family camping trips and have huge welts all over hr arms and legs on family camping trips. I barely had a bite or two...although we both are from the same gene pool.
I often hear similar stories of bedbug bites on this forum.

Do you have the same blood type?
Do you wear the same colors? Use the same soap? Wear the same perfume? Eat the same food?
So many factors.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, maybe. I agree that different people have different scents. I can often detect someone with heart issues by their scent. Dogs can detect cancer and other scents. Bedbugs definitely detect CO2.

Since blood type antigens can be found in the saliva and tears of secretors, it may be possible that mosquitoes can sense these antigens as they approach a person. So if mosquitos can sense them, maybe bedbugs can. Just interesting to me that A+ and 0 have been bitten the most.
IIRC, O and A are the most common blood types. Probably more people with A and O o the Camino.

A negative; no bites OR just don't react to them. I am also not bothered by mosquitoes - I don't feel them bite even when I see them doing it and don't have any reaction either. Personally don't think it has anything to do with blood type. I did not vote.

I went googling to see if I could find someone who had done real science on this topic (with things like random samples, statistical comparison with the general population, etc.). No luck, but I did find this gem. :)

Laboratory rearing of hemipterus F. (Hemiptera: Cimicidae) feeding on different types of human blood compositions by using modified artificial feeding system

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.