• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

bedbugs

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Welcome to the forum :)

Depends on who you are and what your experience has been.
To some, they're no concern at all.
To those who have been bitten or have seen people horribly bitten, it's a huge concern.

My advice is to learn to spot bedbug sign and if you see it, simply ask for your money back.
I spray the outside of my pack and the outside of my sleeping bag with permethrin.
There are tons of threads on this, if you do a search.

Here is a blog I wrote that will help you identify bedbugs and their sign:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/06/dont-let-bedbugs-bite.html

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the forum @Linda Theresa
Bed bugs are a reality on the Caminos and pretty much everywhere where people traveler. You can catch bed bugs in a 5*****Hotel as easy as in a simple albergue. Have a look at the resources mentioned above, prepare yourself, but don't drive yourself crazy.

Buen Camino, SY

Welcome to the forum @Linda Theresa
Bed bugs are a reality on the Caminos and pretty much everywhere where people traveler. You can catch bed bugs in a 5*****Hotel as easy as in a simple albergue. Have a look at the resources mentioned above, prepare yourself, but don't drive yourself crazy.

Buen Camino, SY
A friend of mine was almost eaten alive in Harrahs hotel in Atlantic City last summer. Not a 5* hotel but definitely a 4* hotel.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My daughter was covered in bug bites after a night in an expensive hotel in Burgos - I was fine - different beds I guess and the luck of the Irish working there. In a hostel further down the track she got bitten again and I was fine - she was sleeping in the bunk above me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have to just hope you're not going to get bitten because we both had sheets and pillow cases (2 each because Spanish pillows are as long as the single beds are wide and we needed 2 to cover the whole pillow) treated with Permethrin which should have killed ever bug on the beds as we put them on the bed as soon as we were allocated a bed.

Buen Camino :-(

My daughter was covered in bug bites after a night in an expensive hotel in Burgos - I was fine - different beds I guess and the luck of the Irish working there. In a hostel further down the track she got bitten again and I was fine - she was sleeping in the bunk above me.
The explanation is likely the fact that many people (perhaps even most) do not react at all to bed bug bites. Your daughter does; you don't.

That's like saying 'are mosquitoes a huge concern in Scotland?'

Please note MOSQUITOES are not a problem in Scotland but MIDGES are and while you can see mosquitoes, midges are tiny so get into your hair and bite your scalp without mercy before you are even aware of the attack.:(

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There was just a post on Facebook Camigas page about not ever putting your backpack on the bed; apparently, you can transmit the critters from one albergue to another that way.

There was just a post on Facebook Camigas page about not ever putting your backpack on the bed; apparently, you can transmit the critters from one albergue to another that way.
There really is very little logic in this. Bedbugs don't just live in the mattresses. In fact, on the camino, I think the mattresses are very clean and protected. Any badly infested mattress would be identified and disposed of very quickly. The bugs hide elsewhere (cracks in the walls or floor) or they have just arrived on your neighbour's backpack. They come to you in bed at night, feed, and return to their hiding spots. Leaving your backpack unprotected on the floor at night is not a good idea either. Place it in a large airtight bag (roll top dry bag; or large garbage bag if you promise not to start fiddling with it before 7 a.m.)

You should NOT put your pack on the bed for general hygienic reasons. It has been placed on many dirty surfaces, just like your shoes, and you would not put your shoes on the bed.:oops:

Leaving your backpack unprotected on the floor at night is not a good idea either. Place it in a large airtight bag (roll top dry bag; or large garbage bag if you promise not to start fiddling with it before 7 a.m.)

Good point. I like the reminder not to start rummaging with a noisy plastic bag before 7!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The explanation is likely the fact that many people (perhaps even most) do not react at all to bed bug bites. Your daughter does; you don't.

I didn't realise that was even possible - some affected but others not. I feel every lucky if that's the explanation. Thank you.

I slept in a 5-star hotel room in Prague that we found in the morning was infested with bedbugs, and didn't get bitten (others did). I walked part of the Camino and later shared a room in Santiago de Compostela with a friend who was bitten alive, and I didn't get one bite. I can only conclude bedbugs love warm-blooded people, and don't like those of us with poor circulation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm always more worried about ticks than about bedbugs. Yes bedbugs can give you allergic reactions but non treated tick bites causes Lyme disease. But hey I'm a hypochondriac ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back