• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Bedbugs

Jim McMurtrie

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances April-May 2018
Frances September-October 2019
I have read a lot abouy bedbugs on the Camino Frances but not from anyone who experienced them. Are they ubiquitous or just something to be aware of?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Jim, welcome to the forum!

Bed bugs are a problem that is increasing as the years go by. With the huge increase in numbers on the Frances, and other caminos, it is no surprise that there would be more bedbugs. Seems to me that it is the perfect petry dish for bedbugs -- basic accommodations, cleaning standards that are sometimes subpar, people walking in a straight line to Santiago. It is also a problem that increases over the calendar year -- fewest in winter, more in spring, many more in summer.

Some people are lucky and have never been bit; others have been bit and do not react. I am not one of those.

The good news is that if you take action when you are bit, you can get rid of the problem. I have been bitten two or three times, once on the Vdlp, once on the Ebro, and once on the Norte. Though, truth be told, bedbugs were a "likely" diagnosis, nothing confirmed. But I took all of the precautions -- washer/dryer, spraying, throwing out anything where a bug could be hiding --and I have lived to tell the tale. I wouldn't let it ruin your camino, but I do now spray my stuff before I go.

I believe they are very common on the Camino. I'd bet that every albergue occasionally has them, through no fault of their own. Albergues regularly close down for a day or two for unexplained reasons, and that often means they are being decontaminated. That is good news!

The thing is, that the reaction is an allergic one and many people are not allergic to bedbug bites, so they think they have never encountered them. I am allergic and have been bitten a number of times - only 3 or 4 bites at a time, always in very clean accommodation where I have seen no indication upon inspection, so I believe they were stray bugs rather than serious infestations. However, I now assume they are everywhere and take precautions so that I can be confident that I won't transport them with me or bring them home. That is somewhat more than just "being aware" of them. It isn't so hard to do, and it allows me to enjoy the Camino.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ubiquitous.

Travel like every place you stop has bedbugs (and not just on the Camino). I have seen hundreds on caminos in Spain. It takes a bit of time for an accommodation to become infested; the bedbug has a life cycle. I think that only some bedbug sightings are actual infestations. Most probably are live hitchhikers that are suddenly spotted, and may actually be imports by the pilgrim who sees it and blames the albergue. They are quite mobile. If they lay eggs in your equipment, six to ten days later, you have become the host of nymphs perhaps without ever having been bitten. The nymph will seek to feed, then may create a nest in the albergue where you were bitten, and in a month create a family! A bedbug can live a year without feeding. Eradication is difficult, so even albergues that are serious about treating for them may use methods that are less than effective. Bedbugs do not carry any diseases, so they are irritants, not health risks unless you are one who has severe reactions to bug bites. You do not want to take them home! If you treat your equipment with permethrin, it will kill nymphs and mature bedbugs as you hike. When you get home, wash the washables in hot water and a high temperature dryer. Put your backpack and non-washables in a large garbage bag, spray inside liberally with permethrin, and wait more than the two weeks it takes for bedbug eggs to hatch, since permethrin does not kill eggs.

... Put your backpack and non-washables in a large garbage bag, spray inside liberally with permethrin, and wait more than the two weeks it takes for bedbug eggs to hatch, since permethrin does not kill eggs.

I read somewhere the tip of putting the backpack into a freezer.
Is this safe as well? How long should it be in the freezer?

I read somewhere the tip of putting the backpack into a freezer.
Is this safe as well? How long should it be in the freezer?
A Google search brought up this hit to Science News:

Bedbugs survive cold, but not for too long | Science News
https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/wild-things/bedbugs-survive-cold-not-too-long
‎Dec 12, 2013 ... Infested items should be placed in the freezer at -17.8° C (0° F) for a minimum of 3.5 [days], though time may be decreased to 48 [hours] if temperatures average below -20° C. Not addressed, though, was whether even lower temperatures might kill the bugs faster.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I believe they are very common on the Camino. I'd bet that every albergue occasionally has them, through no fault of their own. Albergues regularly close down for a day or two for unexplained reasons, and that often means they are being decontaminated. That is good news!

The thing is, that the reaction is an allergic one and many people are not allergic to bedbug bites, so they think they have never encountered them. I am allergic and have been bitten a number of times - only 3 or 4 bites at a time, always in very clean accommodation where I have seen no indication upon inspection, so I believe they were stray bugs rather than serious infestations. However, I now assume they are everywhere and take precautions so that I can be confident that I won't transport them with me or bring them home. That is somewhat more than just "being aware" of them. It isn't so hard to do, and it allows me to enjoy the Camino.
What are the precautions you take?

What are the precautions you take?
I spray my pack inside and out with permethrin.
I spray my sleeping bag and/or sleep sack with permethrin.
I hang my pack from the bunk whenever I can. I have a treated nylon pack bag treated with permethrin, which I use when in doubt in the albergue.
I inspect the bunk for signs of bedbugs.
I have walked the Camino Frances enough times to know the places I want to avoid!! Sorry, no names.
My pack goes into that plastic garbage bag at the airport, and stays in the garage or shed while being treated. My freezer has no room for the pack.;)
I have seen a lot of bedbugs, but never been bitten. I am a mosquito magnet, so my carbon dioxide profile is not a bedbug deterrent.

Can I ask two probably obvious questions? What are bed bugs, is it scabies mite? And do you bring your own bed stuff to hostels or what do they provide? Ie, do I bring a sleeping bag, pillow, bed linen, ground sheet, etc? Thanks so much

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
do you bring your own bed stuff to hostels or what do they provide?
Albergues provide a bed and usually a pillow and blanket. You bring the rest. Hostales are like hotels and they provide linens. Hostel is not a good descriptor for accommodation on the caminos. That name applies to group accommodations in much of Europe, and they vary widely on what they provide. You need your own sleeping gear for the Camino unless you are staying exclusively in hoteles and hostales.

I’ve walked 5 Caminos so far and only seem 1 bed bug and that was on the Frances. I always check the mattress before I unpack and that is in any accommodation that I use from albergues to 5 star hotels!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I’ve walked 5 Caminos so far and only seem 1 bed bug and that was on the Frances. I always check the mattress before I unpack and that is in any accommodation that I use from albergues to 5 star hotels!

I look at the sheets carefully for signs of blood. I also check out the wall area around to look for Little splatters.

I also take care to never put my clothing items or backpack on the bed.

Once, somewhere near El Acebo— in the mountains somewhere — I did see a bedbug in my hotel, and immediately contacted a forum mate, and subsequently did a good pat down with DEET.

I also slept on top of an emergency blanket that had been treated with the same.

Just because you do not see evidence of them on the wall or in the sheets, mattress doesn't mean they are not there. And even if you use permethrin, does not mean your things will not get infested. I got bitten in the town of Ages two years ago..was bitten quickly with approximately 45 bites! We left the albergue at 3am after I woke up from the bites. We killed three bugs climbing up the wall going to a slight opening near the ceiling and two bugs in the bed...all had lots of my blood! Bedbugs are blood suckers. They keep biting you where they sense the blood source is and keep biting until they find a source of blood. I had clusters of bites on my back legs arms and a couple on the side of my face! I checked the room first thing when we arrived but saw no signs of them. If you want to know the name of the place I gotten at go to Trip Avisor for the Camino and you will find it eventually...posted 2015. Before we exited, we checked all all belongings and deeted the inside and outside of the backpacks. All else was in plastic with the exception of our electronics! When we came home we left the electronics in plastic with treated cloth for a couple of months before using the again. The bugs can climb into certain electronic products if sufficient room. So now, just to be abundantly cautious we put of electronics in plastic at night.
I was told by an albergue owner that each facility is required to have their facility treated yearly and that most do it at the beginning of the season. That is one reason why, IMO, there are less bugs around in the winter and early Spring! BTW I also deet my bags whenever I pass through an airport, or take a train.

Last edited:
Hi Jim, I'm on the CF right now, I met a woman in Leon that was covered from head to toe in bedbug bites. She went to the pharmacy and spent 60€ on various items. I inspected her Albergue bed this afternoon before she lay on it as she is a little paranoid about them now.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jim, I'm on the CF right now, I met a woman in Leon that was covered from head to toe in bedbug bites. She went to the pharmacy and spent 60€ on various items. I inspected her Albergue bed this afternoon before she lay on it as she is a little paranoid about them now.
Hopefully the woman took care of all of her things so that she isn't transporting them.

Also on the Camino Francés right now. I have met more than a few people with bedbug bites, including one woman who had a very severe reaction.

Spotted (and photographed) one myself at 2 am in Los Arcos and did not get to sleep after that. No sign of any others.

Dried everything I could the next day and haven’t seen another in the 15 days since. The albergue was clean with no signs of infestation, so I am hoping I spotted a hitchhiker.

Everyone should rely on their own research, but from what I have seen, drying everything at a minimum of 120 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes (to be safe), or freezing everything at 0 degrees Fahrenheit for four days is the only effective method to eradicate them (eggs and all). I dried everything that would go in a dryer (pack and all) in Los Arcos.

Many bed bug populations have developed a resistance to permethrin and some researchers have found it completely ineffective (I still sleep in a permethrin liner, though :) ).

The other precautions - putting your stuff in a bag, etc. - make good sense.

Ciao. I imagine that if someone has serious reaction patterns to these bites of bed bugs ... it can be a serious problem. For example we do not have the same reaction for a mosquito or a bee attack (I've seen certain bubbles on the skin to be scared!). On another thread someone talked of the unbearable smells of perfumes, creams and more ... these insect spray smell so much? Because it seems more appropriate to prevent ... than cure!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm so envy of people that do not encounter bedbugs... And people that apparently have something on their bloodstream that make bedbugs not want to bite them! During all the Caminos I've walked, the ONLY one that I did not meet bedbugs and was not bitten was the first one, 17 years ago...

Unfortunately in all other Caminos I ALWAYS had problems with the bedbugs: SUmer, WInter, auitumm, Frances, Del Norte, primitivo, you name it!

Also, I did everything is known to humans to try to avoid these little devils: Treating everything before going, during and after, DEET , Permethrin , Washing everything everyday, NOT washing everything everyday, skin repellents, Checking Albergue beds every evening ( Im obsessed with this part of getting in the albergue: I get my headlamp and inspect everything very thoroughly). EVERYTHING that exists to fight bedbugs I've tried without success...

Bedbugs apparently LOVE my skin and my blood... And unfortunately, I'm very allergic to their bites...

IMO , this is the worst drawback of the Caminos... I can bear and cope with everything else but the Chinches make me grumpy and sad and many times even regretful of being on the Caminos again...
Please, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt... Camino experience is still one of the most wonderful things I've had the chance to live... And thats why I keep coming back whenever I have the chance...

Maybe its my purpose to deal and accept the Chinces? Who knows.... I sure would like to get rid of them and one day, enjoy a Chince Free Camino!

Ps: If any of you know any new technology, tip, for me to try out on my next Camino, I'm very keen to try new formulas to fight the chinces...

Buen (Chince-Free) Camino!!!!

Ps: If any of you know any new technology, tip, for me to try out on my next Camino, I'm very keen to try new formulas to fight the chinces...
A recent scientific paper mentioned that some natural substances discovered by the folks at http://bedoukian.com showed promise at repelling bedbugs but neither Bedoukian's search feature nor Google's could find bed, bedbug or bedbugs at the website.

Another recent study reported on by popular science sites said that in a test bedbugs were found twice as often in human scented clothes as in clean clothes. So maybe sleep with that day's underwear at the foot of your sleeping bag to lure the bugs away from the bag's opening. Toss the pants in the morning to keep the critters moving along down the road with you. How much could a months worth of undies cost and weigh? :rolleyes:

I have read a lot abouy bedbugs on the Camino Frances but not from anyone who experienced them. Are they ubiquitous or just something to be aware of?
My experience: I just washed/dried all my gear for the third time this Camino. Before León I caught them somewhere. Thank God for 15 kilo dryers in which I could throw all my gear including my backpack. Before Astorga I had bites again, which as I understand could have been old ones playing up. To be sure, again, all my stuff went into washer and dryer.

This morning I saw 2 bedbugs (small one and very big one) on the wall when I woke up (matrass looked perfectly fine, I always check those). I killed them both (they had enough to eat seeing the amount of blood ) and showed them to the owner. He wasn't surprised, the day before they had chemically treated the second floor. Today they were gonna treat the first floor (on which I was staying). Unfortunately too late for me I'm affraid. I would be surprised if none of the buggers got into my stuff.
So, for the third time, I am having all my stuff undergoing the 60 degrees treatment, just to make sure. Hope won't have to do it again. I looked for permetrine to impregnate my gear but haven't been able to find it here in Spain. It's starting to take away a lot of the fun since my skin doesn't handle the bites well. After the itching they start hurting and even become blue.
(Btw, the albergue owner told me this year they have been closed for 20 times already cause of chemical treatments; I wonder how many places have the same experience. I sensed he was quite tired of it..).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I looked for permetrine to impregnate my gear but haven't been able to find it here in Spain.

I am very sorry (and feeling a bit itchy) to read about all of these incidents. It does seem to be reaching new proportions. Just from watching these threads, I would say that the incidence seems to rise as the season progresses, so walking earlier rather than later would seem to be a strategy for minimizing bedbugs.

Try a ferreteria (general hardware store) or a farm implement store. I had to buy some peremethrin in Zaragoza a few years ago on the Ruta del Ebro and the local ferreteria had a variety of products.

So, for the third time, I am having all my stuff undergoing the 60 degrees treatment, just to make sure.
You can simplify the treatment by protecting your backpack and its contents in an airtight bag in the albergue at night. Then in the morning, put your contaminated sleepwear into another airtight bag inside your pack. If bites appear during the day, you only need to treat the sleepwear, since the other things were protected.

I use large roll-top dry bags. You could use plastic garbage bags, but be aware of the noise they can make.

It's starting to take away a lot of the fun since my skin doesn't handle the bites well. After the itching they start hurting and even become blue.
So sorry to hear of your troubles. Please go to a farmacia, they can give you something to make it more bearable. I stupidly didn't, I just went home early I was in such shock :rolleyes:
It took for ever (well a few weeks at least) for the bites to feel better and the chemists on the Camino are more used to treating them than here at home...
All the best.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@RuijgRock so sorry to hear of your repeated problems. I found that permethrin is available in Spain in garden stores, where it is sold as ant spray, or in stock or veterinary stores where it is sold for use in poultry sheds. It carries warnings against using it for other purposes, but when I checked the list of ingredients I found it the same as the stuff I buy in Australia in camping shops, to spray on tents, and clothing. But please make your own inquiries - look it up on the internet - because you don't want to survive the bedbugs only to be struck down by chemical poisoning.

I use DEET on all my exposed skin as a deterrent (it deters but does not kill the bedbugs) but it is time limited as it is the smell that deters the bugs. It is actually more harmful than permethrin according to a toxicologist who was walking the camino with me. And it melts plastic. Still, as she said, if you react to bedbugs that may be worse. The DEET in Spain unfortunately is only available as a spray.

Anyone coming from Australia - take a couple of tubes of Bushman's 80% Deet - I found it much the most pleasant and easiest to use. It is also less intrusive to others. You rub a bit on the palms of your hands and then wipe your palms over the skin you want to protect. One tube was not quite enough to get me through the whole camino - next time I'm taking two.

It amused me when a French girl remarked that I always smelled so good - and I responded that it was the DEET! Ze New Perfume...

I've also taken to wearing tights and fitted, long sleeved, high necked, clothing to bed (my walking top fits the bill). The more you can cover up, the less exposed skin for the bugs to get. One women I met had been attacked five times and was very reactive; she took to covering everything - tight fitting dense clothing, including headgear, face wrapped in a scarf, gloves, socks. I admired her fortitude!

I agree with @peregrina2000 - this really is a growing problem on the Camino. In my 17 years of walking I have never seen or heard of so many people being bitten, than on this year's autumn Camino.

Good job sir; you are a Camino Angel! Hope her pharmacy purchases work.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I was bitten both times we walked the Camino. Believe me, I tried everything I'd read about to prevent this. Now, I am not saying that every place had them because they DID NOT. I will also say that if there is a mosquito within a mile of me, I am the only one to get bitten.

What ever you do, don't let this stop you from "doing" the Camino. It was worth every inconvenience and bite. After all, I went back and would love to do so again.

¡Buen Camino!

I was bitten at the albergue in San Juan de Ortega. Luckily I had treated my sleeping bag and backpack before leaving for the Camino and did not carry them with me.

To say 'very common' is I think a bit much. Been on the Camino 4 times making it to Santiago 3 times and never seen one. I believe it has been said that you are as likely to find them in a good airport hotel as on the camino. You can spray your belongings with permethrin which is probably a good idea but you cannot spray yourself. If they are in te establishment repellent on your back pack is not going to save you. I dont know if this is true but have been told they and other insects do not like the smell of Vick so a little dab before bed is a good protection

Not absolutely sure I want to know this answer but does anyone know if the recent proliferation of vinyl mattress and pillow covers is effective against bedbugs? I do like to think the answer will be ‘yes’. ;):):)

Mattress covers and metal beds do help, but there can still be bugs (metal beds often have hollow frames with holes, bugs can hide behind something like light switches or under floor boards also, and so on). They really are everywhere on the Camino Francés (while rare in the rest of Europe!), if you don't see them, you just don't know what to look for. If you don't react to the bites, of course you don't really have a reason to look for them like someone who does, that's probably why many people underestimate the problem.

Permethrin can help, but many bugs are resistant already. Only thing that surely kills them is heat (over 60 degrees Celsius).

If you're not allergic, bites are not too bad, just like mosquito bites (just make sure you don't bring them home). If you're allergic, you have reason to be concerned and to take precautions though.

The problem does exist, contrary to what some people say, and it probably won't get better until there's some kind of master plan to fight the bugs in albergues / more awareness among the pilgrims.

It would never stop me from doing a Camino, but after this year's experience, I'd take much more precautions the next time (and I was already cautious this year). It stops being funny when you start to react to the bites in a way that requires medical assistance.

The problem does exist, contrary to what some people say, and it probably won't get better until there's some kind of master plan to fight the bugs in albergues / more awareness among the pilgrims.

Spent some time contemplating this issue after a bed bug sighting kept me awake after 2 am.

A program would help albergue owners *and* pilgrims. What of a $2/€1.50 “tax” on credentials (optional, like the $1 election fund is in US) that funds a remediation program for any albergue owner that meets minimum prevention standards and shuts down an affected area when a bug/infestation is found? Hard to administer, but we’re the ones dropping them off along the way and both we and albergue owners suffer.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Spent some time contemplating this issue after a bed bug sighting kept me awake after 2 am.

A program would help albergue owners *and* pilgrims. What of a $2/€1.50 “tax” on credentials (optional, like the $1 election fund is in US) that funds a remediation program for any albergue owner that meets minimum prevention standards and shuts down an affected area when a bug/infestation is found? Hard to administer, but we’re the ones dropping them off along the way and both we and albergue owners suffer.

In my opinion, more information for the pilgrims (maybe something like a leaflet handed out in St Jean, "how not to spread bed bugs" with helpful tips like "put your backpack in a large permethrin sprayed garbage bag, if possible outside the dorm, and everything that touched the bed in an extra ziploc to not contaminate your backpack" and so on) and an attitude like in the Gaucelmo albergue in Rabanal in all places would be more helpful than collecting money.

Hats off though to those who close off their albergue for treatment in the middle of high season, saw that once, was so grateful and have so much respect for that albergue owner! Albergues like that deserve some praise and extra money (instead of bad reviews online!), contrary to those who pretend there's no problem at all and still get all the good reviews because of their denial...

Last edited:
You can simplify the treatment by protecting your backpack and its contents in an airtight bag in the albergue at night. Then in the morning, put your contaminated sleepwear into another airtight bag inside your pack. If bites appear during the day, you only need to treat the sleepwear, since the other things were protected.

I use large roll-top dry bags. You could use plastic garbage bags, but be aware of the noise they can make.

Just about to start next week....
Did you have a sleeping bag and if so, what do you do about washing that?

@JoP you don't wash anything suspected of having been bugged. Washing a down sleeping bag or even a kapok / artificial down stuffed one will lead you to a very bad place. You stick it in a drier and heat it thoroughly. A commercial 'lavenderia' tumble drier on 'Max' for 10-15 minutes will do the job. If you put wet stuff into the drier it takes much longer to come up to bug-lethal temperatures.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@JoP you don't wash anything suspected of having been bugged. Washing a down sleeping bag or even a kapok / artificial down stuffed one will lead you to a very bad place. You stick it in a drier and heat it thoroughly. A commercial 'lavenderia' tumble drier on 'Max' for 10-15 minutes will do the job. If you put wet stuff into the drier it takes much longer to come up to bug-lethal temperatures.

Thanks ever so much.

Never use a machine to wash a down bag. The down clumps when wet and gets heavy. The machine then shakes this clump around in the baffles and that can rip the stitching. Always hand wash in a bathtub and if you use soap make sure it is a type made to wash down. Lay out flat in the sun to dry. Only when dry put it in a drier to tumble and use static electricity to fluff up the down again. You can use and wash a bag liner on the Camino if you want a clean sleep.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and tips; I wish I had read more into it before I left. Tried a few ferreteria's but so far none have heard of permetrine. I'm bedbug free at the moment though, putting my pack in a plastic bag now in every albergue and washing my clothes on 60 degrees all the time.
Talking to many fellow pelgrims I am beginning to understand the size and reason of the problem though. I keep meeting people who have bites but are not taking action because:
  • It's such a hassle
  • Treatment costs money
  • They are not sure they are carrying them with them and wait a bit longer to see what happens
  • Not sure sleeping bag and other gear can handle the heat
  • What if I pick them up again, then it was all for nothing..
... seriously, these are some of the reasons they gave me. I am very surprised by this attitude especially since some of them have very allergic reactions to the bites themselves. I love what the albergue in Rabanal is doing. If we all take a little more care maybe that will help in not spreading the bugs (I have done the 60 degree treatment a fourth time by now, rather safe than sorry and I am getting the hang of it ;-)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Ah, the charming bed bug.

In 2015, I was walking with a really lovely 17-year-old who amused me nonstop. At night, she'd run off to the muni. I'd go grab my hotel or private albergue.

After a week or so, she was a wreck, with bright red blotches. "Bedbugs. You've got bedbugs," I told her.

"No, these are NOT bedbugs."

After about a day of misery (very British sensitive skin), I got her to a pharmacy where they pulled out the laminated schematic of THE LIFE CYCLE OF THE BEDBUG and showed her classic bite photos. Not that she needed any! They were all over her arms and legs.

Flash to 2017. I arrived home the 17th, still a coughing bit of a mess. I'm feeling so much better, but imagine my dismay when yesterday, my body suddenly became extremely itchy.

I told husband I was concerned I may have brought home some unwelcome souvenirs. In patches, lines, and etc. I have bedbug bites (yeah, I'm sure) all over my arms, neck, back, and even traipsing down one buttock. Lovely.

Everything is going in the drier for a solid hour. Things brought home are thrown on a heap outside, where they will be bagged and frozen. Vacuuming, scrubbing, permethrining. It's going to be quite a weekend.

In 2015, I was walking with a really lovely 17-year-old who amused me nonstop. At night, she'd run off to the muni. I'd go grab my hotel or private albergue.

After a week or so, she was a wreck, with bright red blotches. "Bedbugs. You've got bedbugs," I told her.

After about a day of misery (very British sensitive skin), I got her to a pharmacy where they pulled out the laminated schematic of THE LIFE CYCLE OF THE BEDBUG and showed her classic bite photos. Not that she needed any! They were all over her arms and legs.

Flash to 2017. I arrived home the 17th, still a coughing bit of a mess. I'm feeling so much better, but imagine my dismay when yesterday, my body suddenly became extremely itchy.

I told husband I was concerned I may have brought home some unwelcome souvenirs. In patches, lines, and etc. I have bedbug bites (yeah, I'm sure) all over my arms, neck, back, and even traipsing down one buttock. Lovely.

Everything is going in the drier for a solid hour. Things brought home are thrown on a heap outside, where they will be bagged and frozen. Vacuuming, scrubbing, permethrining. It's going to be quite a weekend.

Oh nooooo. I am so sorry to read this!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Oh good grief! I'm so sorry to hear this Deb. You've had quite the month of misadventure - and on it goes. I hope you did not bring home any hitch-hikers, or can complete eradicate them if you did.

I realize now how very fortunate I was on my previous two treks (in May both times) not to encounter the little blighters. I was targeting the fall next year, but now seriously reconsidering. Or, perhaps get this nifty little get-up to sleep in:

41ofp7VSN2L.jpg

Oh good grief! I'm so sorry to hear this Deb. You've had quite the month of misadventure - and on it goes. I hope you did not bring home any hitch-hikers, or can complete eradicate them if you did.

I realize now how very fortunate I was on my previous two treks (in May both times) not to encounter the little blighters. I was targeting the fall next year, but now seriously reconsidering. Or, perhaps get this nifty little get-up to sleep in:

41ofp7VSN2L.jpg

Hilarious!!!

Here's how I've spent my day:

--bedding in drier on high for an hour. Then washed in hot water, then back in drier on high.

--items from Camino, including pack, down quilt, this and that, in hefty bags in outside freezer. I can't deal with them yet. I've got to eradicate my houseguests before they, like fish, get their three days in and spoil my attitude.

--husband is sleeping in a room I have not been in. Happy Homecoming! We're now sleeping apart, not that we haven't already been for three weeks!

--washing clothes, buffs, etc. on hot water, and drying for eternity on high.

--bed in master is being taken apart, and everything is being vacuumed, washed, and squirted down with permethrin after I get back from REI.

I've been on this for about 18 hours now, and the bites are horrible. I've got Benadryl on, in, and fresh clothing on.

Rethinking my Camino addiction! Or perhaps just getting a different plan of attack in for "next time".

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh Deb how ghastly!

Don't forget that pyrethrum will also kill bedbugs. It is not so useful for using before the camino, because it breaks down more quickly than permethrin, but for instant kill in the bedroom it may be more pleasant to use. Also a hairdryer turned on to high heat and with a concentrator can help to get into hard to reach nooks and crannies, but be aware it may also blow bugs and eggs around.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Oh no!
Oh, I'm sure this trip is going to be held up to me in about a year's time in order to discourage me from hitting PURCHASE TICKET ;)
This is what has motivated me from the beginning, to learn about bedbugs and take my best precautionary efforts. When I arrive home, I assume from the beginning that there is a bedbug somewhere in my things, and I treat accordingly. If I brought bedbugs into the house, I would be in deep deep doodoo.

Rethinking my Camino addiction! Or perhaps just getting a different plan of attack in for "next time".
That is what I've done, and it includes reduced time on the Camino Frances.

Deb, this is awful news. What a way to end your camino -- you already had enough bumps in the road, but now this. I really hope you caught the problem before an infestation set in.

This is a terrible way for us to all learn an important lesson. I had read on the forum about people who take off all their clothes when they arrive home before going inside, put everything in a big plastic bag and head straight for the shower. I always thought that was a bit over the top. No more!

Wishing you lots of success in your de-bugging.

Deb, this is awful news. What a way to end your camino -- you already had enough bumps in the road, but now this. I really hope you caught the problem before an infestation set in.

This is a terrible way for us to all learn an important lesson. I had read on the forum about people who take off all their clothes when they arrive home before going inside, put everything in a big plastic bag and head straight for the shower. I always thought that was a bit over the top. No more!

Wishing you lots of success in your de-bugging.

To be honest, I just laughed reading your post. Seriously, this was the shortest foray I've ever taken in Spain.

In three weeks, a major virus, a sprained ankle, and bedbugs?? Good heavens, I think I had some serious karma to resolve ;)

Really, though--we have huge freezers outside, and several items are bagged up and in the freezer. I've had the washer (on hot) and the dryer running for about 48 hours. I've discovered that drying my merino fabrics normally and then cranking the heat and giving them their hour will not damage them.

I've taken apart our master bedroom, and it was due for a major clean anyway. I'm feeling very optimistic. In fact, when I took apart the bed frame underneath and vacuumed in the tiny 90-degree area of the oak frame, I think I may have found a culprit.

For immediate termination, I went to REI and got two containers of permethrin and have misted all around the bed. I will continue treating, vacuuming, etc. I tend to "overkill" which given how vigorously bedbugs breed is a very good idea.

I am going to have husband photograph my bites today for the records. Last night we nearly did an emergency room run, as the right arm is so bitten up it was extremely inflamed. Treating all of it with antihistamines (very effective), witch hazel, and some good anti-itch from my poison oak stores. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that bedbugs are also on planes--honestly, this may have been an issue for me. I am vigilant in checking rooms and sheets and pulling beds out. I didn't see anything in any of the rooms I was in. How odd to have this sudden outbreak the second day I was home.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh no, so sorry @CaminoDebrita! Bringing them home really is the worst case scenario.

Makes sense that you can pick them up in an airplane, bus or train – just think about all those people who got the bugs on the way, don't treat their stuff at all and then put it in public transportation like that.

On a more positive note, it might be simply a delayed bite reaction– it's possible you react to the bites days or even weeks later. So, it's possible it might still be a reaction to bites you got on the way (the bugs hide so well it's entirely possible you haven't seen any but still got bitten). If it's only that, you're "lucky", but I totally understand the obsessive cleaning. Did the same, without having any bites back home... I just got completely paranoid after this year's experience.

I put the backpack into the garbage (triple bagged). Washed my camino clothes on 70 degrees twice and then dried for over an hour, and then cooked them (like, boiling them in a pot!) for an hour and then again washed and dried (funny enough, at least half of the merino and the silk liner survived that treatment), and still have them double bagged and don't dare to take them out of the bags. Still sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and look around the bed with flash lights to see if there aren't any bugs...

… all that three months after the return and no bites since then. Those tiny vampires can make you completely crazy.

Hope you got the situation under control with your cleaning, or, even better, it was just a delayed reaction. Wish you all the best.

Last edited:
Oh no, so sorry @CaminoDebrita! Bringing them home really is the worst case scenario.

Makes sense that you can pick them up in an airplane, bus or train – just think about all those people who got the bugs on the way, don't treat their stuff at all and then put it in public transportation like that.

On a more positive note, it might be simply a delayed bite reaction– it's possible you react to the bites days or even weeks later. So, it's possible it might still be a reaction to bites you got on the way (the bugs hide so well it's entirely possible you haven't seen any but still got bitten). If it's only that, you're "lucky", but I totally understand the obsessive cleaning. Did the same, without having any bites back home... I just got completely paranoid after this year's experience.

I put the backpack into the garbage (triple bagged). Washed my camino clothes on 70 degrees twice and then dried for over an hour, and then cooked them (like, boiling them in a pot!) for an hour and then again washed and dried (funny enough, at least half of the merino and the silk liner survived that treatment), and still have them double bagged and don't dare to take them out of the bags. Still sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and look around the bed with flash lights to see if there aren't any bugs...

… all that three months after the return and no bites since then. Those tiny vampires can make you completely crazy.

Hope you got the situation under control with your cleaning, or, even better, it was just a delayed reaction. Wish you all the best.

Situation is normal! All fine'd up!

Seriously, you may have been correct in your assessment of a delayed reaction.

In the meantime, driers, that special "earth" stuff, DEET, Permethrin, bug traps....and I am CLEANING. And I mean I'm going in deep!

Health is still off, but slowly.

Back