• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bedbugs

First off...it is so refreshing to talk about something Camino related other than covid issues adnauseam!
After walking six Camino's and having had zero bed bug issues or even talking to anyone that had an issue, I think it isn't something you shouldn't lose a whole bunch of sleep about.
I have never used or will use any chemicals for prevention of bed bugs. Yes I know they claim all the chemicals are safe until they aren't...
So plan your walk and get excited about the Camino and please don't stress about bed bugs. The issue is completely over blown in my opinion and personal experience.
There has been alot of good advice what to do if you do get them on this thread and tips to prevent carrying them with you to the next albergue.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That’s the problem with engineers and scientists, you do insist on basing your opinions on facts.

We economists (retired) reserve the right to hold two concurrent conflicting opinions as equally valid and change our mind more often than our underwear.

even when going commando? :)

samarkand.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So my plan at this point is to make a sack out of insect netting or tulle that is big enough to get completely inside with my stuff and zipper shut.
Hi Jag,

You've had so many replies to your post and you've also come up with a very creative idea yourself. So you don't need my advice.

Just something to cheer you up: I've walked 4 camino's so far and haven't encountered a single bed bug. Maybe just sheer luck, who knows.

But I carry a shotgun anyway, in case one of those s*ck*rs crosses my path.

Hi Jag,

You've had so many replies to your post and you've also come up with a very creative idea yourself. So you don't need my advice.

Just something to cheer you up: I've walked 4 camino's so far and haven't encountered a single bed bug. Maybe just sheer luck, who knows.

But I carry a shotgun anyway, in case one of those s*ck*rs crosses my path.

Try the flammenwaffer!

Samarkand.

:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm another lucky Pilgrim who hasn't had bed bugs, and hasn't used chemicals. I do try and check the beds, etc. I'm a bit of a worrier but it heartens me to know that many pilgrims have dealt with and were still able to complete the Camino. In fact, I use that alot when walking to keep myself from getting to worked up about stuff. As long as I can carry on walking, even in a day or day it's nothing to much deal with.

Lots of good info here for you, I havent read it all , but this is what I had (if the image downloads.Maybe it wont. Use your imagination!).
Its like what you propose. Its a homemade bug bivvy made with an ultralight silnylon floor and a midge netting tube. No zips, just a very large drawcorded hole to get in. As you see it hangs up, a wire hoop isnt needed.
I needed this for sleeping out under my poncho, which I did on 3 nights, doing the Primitivo. I also slept in it in albergues to assuage my not-taking-bugs-home-at-any-cost pessimism. I merely slept in lower bunks and hooked it up onto to the slats above me, along with socks, etc..
Nobody objected or even commented, The Camino is full of nutters like us, so go ahead.
Of course it got too hot under it sometimes, but then I just used it like a liner, unhooked. It was treated with permethrin,
When I got home it went in the freezer for a week along with everything else. I didnt want to go through what a chap I knew went through...months of misery surrounded by plastic bags as "experts" failed to decontaminate his young family's home.
People will accuse us of being paranoid (same as with following covid advice) but we can accuse them of being lazy , cant we ?
Did you put your backpack in side this with you? I presume the midge netting was fine enough mesh to prevent the bugs?

I had three small red dots on my lower leg that I didn't notice until someone brought up the subject. I guess they could have been bedbugs but they could have been bug bites from walking off trail to relieve myself.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Did you put your backpack in side this with you? I presume the midge netting was fine enough mesh to prevent the bugs?
Hi Llsaflora,
In reply. I would put my backpack in a big drawstring poly bag, hooked up at the foot of my bunk, or (when bivvying ) outside the net, next to me.
The mesh was a very fine version of midge netting, supplied by Totally Herby. However, I actually wouldnt advise this brand for making a bivvy cover. Its splendid for headnets but when sewn to make , say, a bivvy or a hammock net, the weave opens out along the stitches when its stressed. I have remade my bivvy using midge netting from German supplier Extremtextil.
My hope was that the netting would certainly stop adult bedbugs . I also treated the netting with Permethrin, which I believe doesnt act immediately, but can eventually kill bedugs. Unless they're resistant.
Nevertheless, nobody I met complained of being bitten. My sleep was only ever disturbed by barking dogs.

I made a lightweight pack hanger out of a loop of tach cord and a small carabiner. The loop was tied with a fisherman's knot. I use a larks head to hang the loop around the bunk bed.

View attachment 86925

You may want to check out something like a Nylofume bag to use as a pack liner or to store your pack in when not in use.

¡Buena suerte! 👣 :D😎
Reply to linkster : Thank you for most interesting link to Nylofume bag, seems much better than a poly bag, affordable too. Guess small 32 litre pack would fit in it. Lot of other interesting bits & bobs on that site as well, youve sorted my Xmas gift problem ! Yes, larks head a very handy knot

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How can you use a bag covering the pack and hang it up?
For the Nylofume or other plastic bag, you can twist the top of the bag, then fold it over, and use a slip knot or clove hitch. The larks head knot would probably work just as well.

I have a Zpacks pack liner that has a roll top closure similar to @C clearly above. I use the biner in my scenario, but it would not be necessary with the Nylofume or other plastic bag. The Nylofume or other plastic bag is a lower cost alternative. 👣 :D:cool:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How can you use a bag covering the pack and hang it up?
I hung the pack using a cord round the haul loop, then lifted the poly bag over it & drew it tight with the poly bag drawcord. Guess you could knot the bag opening. I treated the polybag with permethrin, its safe for us but not cats or Canadians.( Or is that DEET I'm thinking about.)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.