• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beds available Sarria to SdC?

law56

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, August 2018
I'm leaving for Sarria next week and getting a little concerned reading about difficulties getting a bed. I'm a slow walker and will probably stop in towns outside the "typical™ daily destinations. Any thoughts about ways to ease my mind? Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm leaving for Sarria next week and getting a little concerned reading about difficulties getting a bed. I'm a slow walker and will probably stop in towns outside the "typical™ daily destinations. Any thoughts about ways to ease my mind? Thanks!
I don't usually book in advance but if you are feeling anxious then reservations might be the best thing to do. Knowing for sure that you have a bed at the end of the day may make your journey less tense. I've been reading posts suggesting that the Camino is busy at the moment.

Be aware that not all albergues take reservations and booking.com does not have all the rooms/beds in an establishment.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
reading about difficulties getting a bed
You need to look a bit more carefully into the accounts of these difficulties. In May (and September), there can be difficulties in the first few days from St Jean Pied de Port to Pamplona. In July and August there can be difficulties in the Sarria to Santiago section.

The Sarria to Santiago section has a lot of accommodation - to supply the crowds of July and August. You should not have a significant problem in April-May.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a feeling there will be a bit of the invisible hand of the market about Camino accommodation, which is to say that demand might flex according to perceived lack of supply… difficulties in reserving the portion of accommodation that is bookable, may result in people making other plans. Hence the Camino provides…

Book ahead…. Depending on what type of accommodations you’re willing to take. I did this walk March 20-29 all places were not open yet and I didn’t want to stay in albergues. Every hotel or B&B or apt I stayed in was fully booked for the season. I read this App a lot - I see many who say it’s
i walked March 20-29 this section. Lots of places had not opened yet. That said, I would encourage (especially if you’re wanting to stay in little hotels/private Hostals) to make reservations. I’m the sort of person who finds the thought of just letting go and hoping for the way to provide is too stressful.
I’m the sort who doesn’t want the stress of finding a bed. I’m also not a fan of albergues. That said I would (if staying in private hostals small hotels etc is part of your plan) definitely reserve. I did this route March 20-29 a considerable number of places had t opened yet. That said all the small hotels, private casas, etc were fully booked for the season. I think it’s going to be a very busy time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not to add to 'worries' but after I passed Sarria (June 2022) for the next 2 days I was running into folks that had to walk extra distances because they couldn't find a bed. By that time I was fully pre-booked all the way to SdC (be it via Booking.com or Albergue direct via WatsUP or email)

I always aim for albergues outside the normal stops. From Sarria, I would stop just short of Portomarin. There are a couple of good albergues and if you can time your walk to arrive around lunch time you should get a bed. Try places further along like Ligonda before Palas de Rei or Xan Julien just after it. If stopping in Melide try the first albergue off to the right, tends not to fill up early. If by passing this town try Boente. Final stretch try Salceda, Lavacolla and Monte do Gozo. I always started around 6:30, walked for 6 to 7 hours and stopped at first albergue I came to. That way you are stopping at lunchtime when many pilgrims will walk on. If you have not booked your first night, I would suggest A Pedra albergue and hostel at the entrance to Sarria. Many pilgrims go for beds on the way out and the first one coming in is often late to fill up. OK, it means you gotta climb the huge set of steps out of Sarria first thing in the morning which many prefer to have behind them. this has been successful for me but its pre pandemic last time I was there. Booking everything in advance seems to be a something of a penchant these days so may not work anymore. But, trust in whatever you trust in and enjoy. Buen Camino

I always aim for albergues outside the normal stops. From Sarria, I would stop just short of Portomarin. There are a couple of good albergues and if you can time your walk to arrive around lunch time you should get a bed. Try places further along like Ligonda before Palas de Rei or Xan Julien just after it. If stopping in Melide try the first albergue off to the right, tends not to fill up early. If by passing this town try Boente. Final stretch try Salceda, Lavacolla and Monte do Gozo. I always started around 6:30, walked for 6 to 7 hours and stopped at first albergue I came to. That way you are stopping at lunchtime when many pilgrims will walk on. If you have not booked your first night, I would suggest A Pedra albergue and hostel at the entrance to Sarria. Many pilgrims go for beds on the way out and the first one coming in is often late to fill up. OK, it means you gotta climb the huge set of steps out of Sarria first thing in the morning which many prefer to have behind them. this has been successful for me but its pre pandemic last time I was there. Booking everything in advance seems to be a something of a penchant these days so may not work anymore. But, trust in whatever you trust in and enjoy. Buen Camino
Thanks! This is kind of my plan;glad to see I was on the right track!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just finished this section and there were plenty of rooms/beds at pretty much every location - same day reservations, walk-ups, no issues whatsoever. I saw no ‘full’ signs anywhere from Pamplona on and in fact many of the places I stayed were less than half full.

I'm on the stretch from Melide right now finishing the Primitivo and there are lots of spaces outside the main towns - there were 6 of us in the Albergue-Pension in Boente on Sunday and only a handful in my Salceda pension ladt night. Didn't see too many people while I was walking either.

From last year on the Frances, I'd recommend the albergue in Ferreiros and Casa Molar in Ventas de Naron (the latter had really comfy beds with cotton sheets!)

I'm on the stretch from Melide right now finishing the Primitivo and there are lots of spaces outside the main towns - there were 6 of us in the Albergue-Pension in Boente on Sunday and only a handful in my Salceda pension ladt night. Didn't see too many people while I was walking either.

From last year on the Frances, I'd recommend the albergue in Ferreiros and Casa Molar in Ventas de Naron (the latter had really comfy beds with cotton sheets!)
So in general the Primitivo is pretty free of crowds now? Did you have to book ahead? Leave at dawn and never dawdle in order to get a bed the next night? What was it like? I was planning to start at Somport on Tuesday, join the main route at Puente la Reina, and then do the Invierno. But with the reports of insane numbers on the main route, I'm now considering heading up to Oviedo to start the Primitivo if it gets too crazy on the main route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So in general the Primitivo is pretty free of crowds now? Did you have to book ahead? Leave at dawn and never dawdle in order to get a bed the next night? What was it like? I was planning to start at Somport on Tuesday, join the main route at Puente la Reina, and then do the Invierno. But with the reports of insane numbers on the main route, I'm now considering heading up to Oviedo to start the Primitivo if it gets too crazy on the main route.
The Primitivo was relatively quiet up till when I finished last Wednesday and no problems in getting accommodation- I did book ahead sometimes, but there was no real need to and didn't hear of anywhere being full so no need for the bed race.

But also, I didn't see lots of people on the sections after Melide because I stopped between the big towns. I did Salceda-Villamaior on the penultimate day, and had the woods after O Pedrouzo to myself, despite 1000+ pilgrims reaching Santiago that day:

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back