• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beef Jerky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoK

Time of past OR future Camino
November-December (2017)
Can anyone tell me if there is beef jerky in Spain - Ive searched on line and haven't found an answer. If not, does anyone know if I can bring jerky into Spain (coming from America)?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can try searching for carne seca, they do have beef jerky at the mercados. I did not buy any, I just asked for several slices of dry cured ham [jamon iberico] and that's what I carried in my bag as beef jerky [in Spain they have good cured jam and good cheese, I used to buy the combo almost every day]. Good luck y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Look for alternatives in Spain. Their embutidos and cured meats can be amazing. Cecina and chorizo are specialties from Leon, fuet is from Catalonia, sobresada is from Mallorca and the previously mentioned jamon has many origins. When in Rome, ...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Why bring the poor copy of the original masterpiece? Spain is the land of anything cured, where as jerky has sugar, flavourings, hydrolized stuff, etc., at least the commercial stuff.

Plus you’ll be encouraging the local economy and not giving border agents heart attachs as they remember Foot & Mouth Disease, nor having to chase a vet to say your jerky is safe:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You only need these four words: Chorizo, salchichón, jamón and queso. Ah, and of course red wine.
In Spain we have a saying: "Con pan y vino se hace camino" "With bread and wine is do way"
Buen Camino.

You can try searching for carne seca, they do have beef jerky at the mercados. I did not buy any, I just asked for several slices of dry cured ham [jamon iberico] and that's what I carried in my bag as beef jerky [in Spain they have good cured jam and good cheese, I used to buy the combo almost every day]. Good luck y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
Thanks for the info Sailor!
Ill be walking in 3 days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Look for alternatives in Spain. Their embutidos and cured meats can be amazing. Cecina and chorizo are specialties from Leon, fuet is from Catalonia, sobresada is from Mallorca and the previously mentioned jamon has many origins. When in Rome, ...
Thanks, dagreen! Your correct - when in Rome... :)

Just curious.....is there a reason to bring it ?
There are awesome meats in Spain.
Ho Robo, I love it on hikes here in the states and would probably miss having some in my pack. But never having been to Spain, I did not realize what other choices there are. :)

Try cecina. And no you cannot import meat products into the EU.
Than you Tincatinker! Thats teh info I was looking for. Wont bring any but it also sounds like I can get great cured meats there.
Im walking in November-December and now starting to think of some of the little things.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You only need these four words: Chorizo, salchichón, jamón and queso. Ah, and of course red wine.
In Spain we have a saying: "Con pan y vino se hace camino" "With bread and wine is do way"
Buen Camino.
Thats great Mikel! I will have those words memorized by the time I get there (in a couple days!). And of course red wine too!

It is not totally universal but travelling to and from most countries, meat dairy and vegetable consumables are not allowed, no matter their origin.

So, as many have provided alternatives, it is time to, "Go Native," at least on the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can anyone tell me if there is beef jerky in Spain - Ive searched on line and haven't found an answer. If not, does anyone know if I can bring jerky into Spain (coming from America)?
My sister and I walked Camino Portuguese this year in June from Porto to SdeC. She packed jerky in her pack with no problem. And let me tell you, it was delicious and a nice treat on stretches where nothing was available. Thanks, Costco!

I noticed this poster at the airport for the first time last week:

View attachment 37168

Sorry to side track with a story.........

But in NZ and Australia the authorities are VERY Strict on this.

A few weeks ago we flew into Auckland NZ.
My wife Pat was finishing an orange and was going to walk out of the plane with it and dump the peel in a bin before immigration.

I half jokingly said Don't!
There's probably a sniffer Dog waiting right outside the door for you!

There was. :eek:
A food sniffer Dog.
Right outside the aircraft door on the Air Bridge.
The look on her face was priceless.

Thankfully as she had it in her hand looking for a bin, she was allowed off with a warning :oops:

Don't mess with Customs and Quarantine legislation............ anywhere.........

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I never saw the need to nor was I ever in want of, any food products of any kind from home while I was walking the Camino.
The entire path of the Camino Frances from Saint Jean to Santiago has countless shops and markets from which to purchase food and snacks. It is almost impossible to go without.
Personally when I travel I want it to go as smoothly as possible. I never carry anything that has the slightest possibility of being prohibited as either a carry-on or even checked luggage. Why would I? There is no need to, and on the Camino Spain has everything you need.

My sister and I walked Camino Portuguese this year in June from Porto to SdeC. She packed jerky in her pack with no problem. And let me tell you, it was delicious and a nice treat on stretches where nothing was available. Thanks, Costco!

So, you broke a customs rule; or to be more precise your sister did. Where exactly was the 'no problem'? Was it not a problem because your sister failed to declare that she was importing a banned substance? Was it 'not a problem' because importing Foot and Mouth or Swine Vesicular is ' not a problem' for you? Which bit of 'not a problem' are you relying on most for your contempt of the rules and regulations that are in place to protect environments, economies and the very country through which you walk?

By the gods - I wish you blisters.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Now tell us what you really think @Tincatinker !

But I agree, this is something that needs to be taken very seriously, and is not the type of rule you should try to 'short cut' or avoid or 'get away with'. Protecting the environment, crops, livestock etc etc is a serious matter.

For those without strict rules in their home country it might seem draconian. But introducing desease or pests not native to a country can be devastating.

If anyone is travelling to Australia or NZ for the first time be prepared for a full 'shake down' by Quarantine staff. Dogs, XRays...... Declare everything! Serious fines are levied for those who fail to declare. If declared, the quarantine staff will check what you have and advise if you can keep it or if they have o take it for destruction. They are very helpful, as long as you do the right thing and declare what you have.

It didn't even cross my mind when reading the OPs question! :oops:
A good reminder......

I walked with Texans for some hundreds of kilometers in June this year . They had copious amounts of all manner of Jerky .
I tried a little :eek:
No accounting for taste differences across the world.
But the point is that they were seemingly able to import the pillow case full into Spain with out question from border controls.

Just don't even dream of doing the same when travelling to Australia.

Quoting from the European Union Directorate-General for Health and Consumers:

"To protect animal health, there is a general ban on personal imports by passengers or travellers bringing meat or meat products into the EU"

There is the possibility of (a) causing thousands of animals unnecessary and untold suffering and (b) ruining people's livelihoods.

Is it worth it? Fabulous cured meat is available freely in Spain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So, you broke a customs rule; or to be more precise your sister did. Where exactly was the 'no problem'? Was it not a problem because your sister failed to declare that she was importing a banned substance? Was it 'not a problem' because importing Foot and Mouth or Swine Vesicular is ' not a problem' for you? Which bit of 'not a problem' are you relying on most for your contempt of the rules and regulations that are in place to protect environments, economies and the very country through which you walk?

By the gods - I wish you blisters.
Oh, for God's sake!

More than Likely Robbo .

Tinkatiker's post certainly didn't pull any punches Letsgocamino , but then he has a point , and a totally valid one as well .
Anyone from a rural background who has seen the ravages of Bovine disease on herds , farmers and the local rural community would certainly wish more than blisters upon anyone who helped spread it .
The effects are devastating , it is not just the poor beasts that suffer , whole townships can be wiped out by the far reaching effects of the economic collapse caused by such outbreaks .
Even though I had spent three weeks in Barcelona after the Frances I still declared my walking shoes when returning to Australia . The thought of being responsible for such misery is far too much to bear .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But the point is that they were seemingly able to import the pillow case full into Spain with out question from border controls.
Just don't even dream of doing the same when travelling to Australia.
The TV series Border Security: Australia's Front Line is shown or has been shown in various EU countries, so many of us are aware of Australia's strict biosecurity rules and quite a few of us are also quivering in our boots at the mere thought of having to go through US border/immigration control ... :cool:. I don't think we have anything like this. Also note that the EU import prohibition rules concerns only meat products and diary products, not fruit and vegetables for example.

I've seen other people being stopped at EU airports and their luggage being checked (who had not chosen the red channel to declare stuff voluntarily) but it has never happened to me. So I can imagine that people had "no problems" with their beef jerky in their luggage, either because they were not even aware of the import prohibition or because they have convinced themselves that their wares posed no biohazard problem and they didn't need to declare it and then (probably) have it confiscated and destroyed.

However, it makes uncomfortable reading when a poster points out having done so themselves, in a thread like this with such clear information about it not being allowed. It may not be intended but it sounds like bragging and an attempt to encourage others to do likewise. :(

Last edited:
That is surprising, since I know that cheese is permitted by US customs regulations. Meat and vegetables are a no-go, but cheese is fine. I wonder why there's a difference.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1272/~/food---general-food
Because cheese doesn't harbor insects (as fruit/veg can), or Bovine spongiform encephillopathy (BSE) (aka "mad cow disease") (as meats can). However, it is notoriously difficult to get the really good raw milk French cheeses through US Customs, I'm told.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Specifically to answer the OP's question. @JojoK, cured and dried meats are available in Spain. They are not known by the name "beef jerky" but they are similar.

No, you are not permitted to bring beef jerky into Spain. It is against the law.

I think that sufficiently answers the question and it is time to close the thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back